Hello Sup Forums, ask a UCLA Engineering professor anything

Hello Sup Forums, ask a UCLA Engineering professor anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ucla-shooting-20160601-snap-story.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Rutan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stick sharpie in pooper or gtfo

Never post here again or there will be consequences

What's it like to be contributing to the downfall of Western society by being a part of UCLA, and acting as an incentive for more students to go there and get brainwashed by your esteemed colleagues in other departments?

Mechanical or Computer ?

Sup with the code theft shit there

What's it like to work for a bunch of money-grubbing administrators at the laughing stock of the UC system - even further down than UCSC?

How's the marxist indoctrination going on at your campus?

Prove it

Loo engineering

i believe you

OP is an imposter

im the real professor AMA

if he's on pol, unless he's a shill, i doubt hes contributing to any downfall.

I don't want to get doxxed by Sup Forums, Pajeet Chandran.

like what?
Me getting fired?

Pro-tip: I'm tenured, I have the academic freedom to say whatever I want and be completely fine.

There's professors that already do this.

One instance is Eugene Volokh, from the same institution.

You'd be surprised to know some of the smartest people here believe the same shit as you. We have a vast amount of leftists but they're humanities majors.

By being part of LA, especially my department, I encourage students to become high earning contributors to society, most of them end up voting right wing. Some of them end up becoming post docs at universities like Caltech and influencing academia there. The environment here actually turns a lot of STEM grads to the right.

If I were to leave LA and were its EE/Aeronautics departments to somehow lose their reputation or rankings, you'd only see more people fall victim to cultural marxism.

This is already prevalent in the ivy leagues, where (especially Yale, UPenn, Columbia) a lack of quality (or dropping quality) in engineering departments is pushing students leftwards.

Ok Civil it is
Thanks for the career advice

Did you like the sam hyde show that just aired on Adult Swim?

couldn't get into USC, huh?

DOES JET FUEL REALLY MELT STEEL BEANS?

I was asking what should I pick

it's the 2nd best UC school, and there is no point arguing about it

Do you support Donald Trump for President?

I'm currently enrolled in a dual Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Engineering; what are your thoughts on the best way I can assure future employment and a stable career?

BE HONEST. YOUVE NEVER DONE A SINGLE DAY'S WORTH OF HARD WORK IN YOUR LIFE, HAVE YOU?

I'm trying to transfer there as a physics major from De Anza

>3.7 GPA

Do I have a chance?
Can you write me a recommendation?

>You'd be surprised to know some of the smartest people here believe the same shit as you.
So why are you all keeping silent rather than fighting back?

That guy was just butthurt from pooing in the loo.

You're thinking of the East Coast

nice photoshop, the logo on the email system is off

Considering we frequently rank in the top 10 in my field in the world according to ARWU and have profs like Tao and Bern in maths/physics, I'd take what you say with a grain of salt. We have the fifth best EE department in the world, we're proud of that. We also have an excellent applied mathematics institute (IPAM) complimenting us. Cal and LA are flagships of the UC system.

Engineers are the most right wing demographic of academia, this is a fact.

Since youre tenured ill ask this: Do the higher ups affect your grading policies? Does your department give out more A's compared to 5 years ago? 10? 15?

Does getting an A in college mean the same thing it used to or has the everybody gets a trophy mentality permeated this far through society yet?

Fucking Yawn.
Get a life.

Seriously, look at yourself, on fucking Sup Forums looking for attention?

It's Friday night. Have you tried blowing yourself? you might have more fun.

Fuck it, just kill yourself. It won't get any better and you *know* this.

LA resident here

Faggot

>the most technical, real-life application of science has the most rational and level-headed people
wew

how many students have you fugged?

How many were chinese?

the email system isnt even reserved for profs so there isn't a point in me shopping that

How do you think valve did the portals in their game?

so OP, tell us the dirt on William S. Klug... we know that's why you're here

also, was it you that started the media narrative about the WHITE MALE ... when it was really just another peaceful muslim?

anything you can share would be interesting to me.

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ucla-shooting-20160601-snap-story.html

Start with this

I know the answer to this.

It's true that the temperature the jet fuel burns at isn't hot enough to melt the steel beams, however, the fires that spread around the building were strong enough to cause the structural members (steel beams) to become weakened to the point where the existing load can no longer be supported, causing it to collapse

>UCLA
almost got me there

I'm actually going into university finally after saving forever, and as it happens it's engineering. What's the best advice you can give someone on their first year of eng?

Clever

There's too many Indians in EE that end up shooting their professors, I'd suggest you go into a field like Aeronautics or Civil, I see very few Indians there.

USC is private, it's a very unsafe institution for anyone with sane political views.

Yes, but he'd probably destroy my industry of research if he gets anything passed.

By starting your own company, theres nothing employers here like more than an individual motivated enough to do that. I say this having spent half my time at UCLA up in Norcal on seminars and industry research.

Your GPA is high enough to get in for physics, I could volunteer to screen apps for the physics department and accept everyone who fits your profile.

Because tenure is hard to get and most smart people prefer working for Google to working for UCLA.

How likely do you think it is we will actually get our pension payed out?

If you are CS could you make sure your undergrads actually learn how to program before graduating. It's embarrassing.

>Yes, but he'd probably destroy my industry of research if he gets anything passed.

Why do you say this? I'm not sure what to expect from Trump but I that Clinton will exploit every bit of sympathy she can get out of her vag. Tensions will get worse and everyone will still blame me for it. I'll take a few hard years to stop this country from decaying.

No, only we do.

In fact, the TAs grade the undergrads. We purposefully try to depress engineering GPAs so we can boost our rank and get more funding.

If our school was known as the "easy school" companies wont pay us to recruit.

And look at what you're doing.

Two, neither were mine.

I didn't know that.

The student wasn't very stellar and was probably angry that the professor worked him hard. A PhD is a job not a degree.

They take intro courses in math/chemistry/physics and learn to code. Just take it seriously and try to do your best. Don't procrastinate, ever.

>Because tenure is hard to get and most smart people prefer working for Google to working for UCLA.
Then why is Google so fucking pozzed?

One tends to go into Engineering to learn how to build stuff - what did you want to learn to build and what cool shit have you (or students) made recently?

I'm not in CS, but I'll definitely give them a heads up.

Because Trump is unpredictable, we rely on donations and government funding and don't want either to be cut. Bernie would have been our best option.

I'm wondering this too. Are the bay area tech companies as lefty as they seem? And why?

did you know that dude that got shot?

Trump will be the best bet for you in the long term because western civilization won't fucking collapse.

>pozzed
Because of HR, most employees for Google are apolitical and there's a fair share of people with your views.

Their employees aren't as lefty as their founders. And most of their founders aren't even lefty.

Which is why I'm voting for him.

Internships and job experience. Almost every job posting wants at least 3-5 years of experience, no such thing as entry level. And even if there was internships still help.

Wall building????

Seriously though, is corruption (Clinton is corruption embodied) good for business. Thinking past short term university funding gibs?

Who has the best pho in the area?

'Do you read the Daily Bruin?

If he's serious about upgrading the infrastructure engineers will be high demand.

Should a person getting an electrical engineering degree go for their bachelor's or masters? And if they go for their masters, should they do it part time while having a job or full time?

No

Part time masters > Bachelors > Masters

Better to do an EE Bachelors then an MBA, MFE, or something related.

Your work experience matters a lot more than a Masters, you'll find that most jobs don't actually care if EE/CS majors have a masters.

When you're in University I recommend you stray from the traditional EE path and take more CS courses, this will double your degree as an EE/CS degree.

I don't blame you - I don't even read it, working with them is bad enough

>Their employees aren't as lefty as their founders. And most of their founders aren't even lefty.
Are you saying that there's a shitload of secret Peter Thiels in silicon Valley?

>One instance is Eugene Volokh, from the same institution.

Volokh browses Sup Forums?

Say a slutty girl in your class walks up to you and says "oh no I'm struggling in your class, is there any extra credit I can do" what would you do? Do any of your colleagues bang their students?

Thank you for your advice. I'm going into Penn state EE, I got in but I'm not very good with math. I didn't take AP calc in high school. I got a B in honors calc. I am pretty good with computers, but I don't want computer science as my primary focus. I have done some small electrical engineering stuff before (built a tesla coil, a power supply) but I didn't use calculus, I'm wondering how higher level math comes into this.

A friend of mine's frat sister (that's right) is currently dating both a TA and an undergrad at UCLA

WHY THE FUCK IS YOUR UNI SO FUCKING AUTISTIC

My little sister has a perfect gpa, is enrolled in college classes at a major university while in high school, and works in the one of the most successful algae labs in the world at said university. She applied to UCLA because after visiting she loved it and got accepted. She got accepted to almost every UC school actually. But absolutely NONE OF YOU FUCKS would give her a penny of financial aid and yet I hear you're giving FUCKING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS FROM OUT OF COUNTRY INSTATE TUITION. IDIOTS WHO'S MAIN SKILLS INVOLVE DISREGARDING THE LAW AND JUMPING FENCES. WHAT THE FUCK. I'm literally so fucking angry about this. What the hell is wrong with the admins at your schools. She was the definition of a perfect student. She was even going into an engineering major. The only thing she wanted to do was not go to the instate university that she had been taking classes at because her high school was located on its campus and she was sick of it. But now she has to it because FUCKING FOREIGN NATIONALS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAT PERFECT STUDENTS LIKE HER.

>Because tenure is hard to get and most smart people prefer working for Google to working for UCLA.
Then let the (((leftist))) scum move out, and let the more sensible people move in to help with purging academia. A few generations of non-leftist academia churning out redpilled people will be enough to disenfranchise and negate (((leftist))) influence. And the redpilled generations will eventually purge (((leftists))) in media and the (((government))).

You have to start somewhere.

disgusting

>engineering
>Girl
Nice meme

But honestly, we all dream of that but it doesn't happen, the graduate level TA's on the other hand.. they see a lot of action. If you want to get laid with slutty college girls, go to grad school.

Peter Thiel is the general rule for a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, but they're more economic-right wingers than social right wingers, they care more about black people sucking up their welfare money through income tax than them outbreeding them.

There's better sources of news like the Math and Engineering department websites that cut the bullshit. I've visited the daily bruin website a couple times and they're more concerned about "undocumented immigrants" than funding cuts for our supercomputing division.

>hello Sup Forums professor here pic related

Truly
I was told that she was only doing it for the free meals, wouldn't sleep with the guy (TA), just dragging him along like a leashed puppy

Sort of. Quid pro quo is a stupid lose your job idea. Having sex with students that aren't in your class, that does happen.

Still, I do know a prof. who married one of his former (grad) students. Guy was always kinda sleezy. I guess that kind of stuff used to be way more common.

Try for merit scholarships. There are a lot of possibilities.

Publishing or perishing?

Do computer science, most of computer science doesn't go further than three dimensional vector calculus on the undergraduate level. EE is the same but it involves integration of deeply related mathematics and physics.

This, like I said in my previous reply.

This is unfortunate to hear. Which University is she attending now? If she got into UCLA, she definitely got admitted into In-States like UMich, Georgia Tech and UIUC that are among the top 30 in the world for engineering.

Tenure is determined by the Regents board that is made up of (((Them))), so your ideas cant be implemented in the real world.

I heard Milo mention a could of months ago in one of his college tours that some of the asian american students with higher scores was being rejected as applicants.
Because they wanted more diversity in the campus or some shit, something with affirmative action for students with lesser scores or something I'm guessing.

Is any of this true?

She didn't apply to them unfortunately, I told her to but you she was so sure of herself. She is at asu now. Not amazing, not terrible

should I bother pursuing electrical engineering degree if i have no social skills
or should I stick to being neet until i kill myself

Absolutely agree on that, all I see are requests for stories about some or such undocumented student, or a tinder dating column, or why Trump is a rayciss.
I'll give them credit where it's due, though, they've actually published more than one of my non-lefty-friendly works, including one about Hillary and gun control

This, I've fucked two graduate student but neither were mine. I'm in my early thirties so I get in with a lot of girls, but I target the ones at LMU and USC.

Nobody cares about publishing when you're funded by industry to work on specialized projects, I can just attach my name to my grad students papers.

Who is your fav science guy: based Bill Nye, the black guy, or the silver haired Jap?

> tenured engineering Prof in early 30s
> Nobody cares about publishing

Yep. I call bullshit on this """professor""" here.

t. Poor grad student stuck in the vicious publish or perish cycle for years.

Yes, this is standard procedure for every admissions department. California banned direct discrimination so we merely amp up the standards for certain schools that are majority Asian.

Don't kill yourself

They're not entirely biased, they aren't a legitimate news source either.

so is that a no

Good, now explain the melted steel found at the site.

I think you're in the natural sciences, I massively downgraded for my Post-Doc. If a University wants you, they'll do whatever you want to keep you. I had the option between slaving away at a reputed institution near Boston and taking the easy route here. Being in graduate school is a torture you'll have to endure, keep attending seminar and sucking enough dicks till you get enough awards. I'm not sure if its too late, but aim for a Hertz fellowship.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Rutan

this guy

>Yes
That's fucked up man. Anyway good luck with your shit.

I'm going into a Physics program at the University of Windsor.

Aside from doing well in my classes, what could I do to make the most out of my time in University so i don't become another unemployed statistic?

Tell me what I'm doing here cunt.

Civil engineer here with a PhD and just a quick question. Does your classroom stink of shit?

How does UC calculate GPA for out of staters applying? Is it hard for an out of state person to get in (im 18 btw). Any admission tips in general? I don't want to be an engineer tho

Physics ---> Go to grad school.

Um...user... ASU is a party school. She isn't at manzanita dorm is she? If she is, I hope she knows how to hold her liquor and use a condom.

No idea, I don't do UG admissions.

We don't have many japs here, so no it doesn't.

Shitposting

So I'm pissing away 4 years in university to get a prerequisite?

Well good thing I actually enjoy learning this shit.

so was it a no

nah she is in the bullshit honors college. It isn't a party school anymore either, they cracked down incredibly hard.

no it wasn't.

was it not a yes

How old do you have to be to get tenured? Or how long do you have to be a professor rather?

Is EE a good major?

Good, do research, if you enjoy that you'll love graduate school. Try traveling on research, the best part of being in Academia is getting free vacations to attend "Conferences"