I've started watching Steven Universe, and does this character ever become something other than irredeemable scum?

I've started watching Steven Universe, and does this character ever become something other than irredeemable scum?

Does he have any kind of redemption? Because he's the worst thing in literally every scene he's in.

Other urls found in this thread:

keepbeachcityweird.tumblr.com/post/121711009986/tubetube-took-down-my-video-because-copyright
youtube.com/watch?v=wDvhh6MJBT0
youtube.com/watch?v=3CpKsFdAY5w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah most don't seem to like this guy a lot. An upcoming episode is called The New Lars, so maybe that's when he finally becomes more interesting but who am I kidding.

Btw are you the guy who mentioned he would give the show a chance because of his friends etc. in a previous thread? How far are you now?

Hopefully he gets better later in the series,but right now he is a jerk.

I'm not that guy.

>does this character ever become something other than irredeemable scum?
Not really, but sometimes, he has a character interaction in an episode where he isn't the clear worst person involved. Sadie for instance, is pretty royally fucked up, and Ronaldo does something pretty sketchy in the haunted lighthouse episode.

He's one of my favorite side-characters along with Vidalia.

I feel like they're finally going in the right direction with the "bully" character. He's kind of like what Robbie could have been if not better if Hirsch put more effort.

He's too relatable. Lars was a Steven as a kid, but due to worrying so much about what other people thought of him, he became what he is today.
>Don't enjoy associating with people who'd be seen as losers (Ronaldo, Sadie, Steven)
>Do anything you can to hang with the "cool crowd"

He's a general douchebag, but he hasn't done that many bad things in comparison to other characters who get as much or more focus than him.

I want to know more about him, and what Rebecca has in store for him. I do want him to fuse with Steven to learn what it's like to not be so worried about other people's opinion of you, and so Steven can have a greater understanding of Lars too. Fusion name-Stars

There's also the theory that Lars might be adopted by Mr.Smiley. Which could be pretty funny as Lars hardly ever genuinely smiles.

I'm probably one of the very few people on Sup Forums looking forward to The New Lars.

Nope. Here's the thing though, it's not that he's a dick, it's that he's not funny. The random asshole character is supposed to provide mean-spirited humor/get shat on, otherwise they serve no point. Lars isn't funny, which is why he's so godawful annoying.

That would be me, and I'm six episodes in right after watching Tangled.

As far as I can remember from my old viewings, Lars was only halfway redeemed during the episode with the girl who runs the shop.

He also has a stupid head build.

What was the reason for the sudden style change anyway.

I always forget how much I hated the pilot style until it shows up again.

Debatable.

>person with ear gauges
>expecting them to be anything other than scum
tip kok

Lars is just a loser it's Sadie that's a terrible human being.

1) Animation ain't cheap. 2) The pilot was kind of unappealing. Steven is a jerk, the CGs come off as kind of bland, and the style more like an Adult Swim production, in that it has that subtle ugliness about it.

The only thing I liked about the pilot was this hilarious piece of foreshadowing. Sugar had it planned since before the show was even greenlit!

>ear gauges
that's just how Lars's ears formed, ableist

>Made his friend camp for a video game all day
>Bought her some crackers and fucked her which was probably her first time
>Started to play with her emotions to get out of working

He's shit

Nice meme. Sadie is just a textbook example of someone who was desperately trying to hold onto a relationship that isn't going to work.

Should she have kept them on the island? Hell no but she thought it was her only chance at getting Lars to get over himself.

In the end all she managed to do was cause the relationship she wanted to fucking crumble. Which by the stories setup is punishment enough.

Also dont forget that Lars isnt particularly a good human being see

It's surprising how appealing the HD copies are compared to my 220p television cable provider.

>subtle ugliness
You mean "Personality?"

>trying to hold onto a relationship
There was no relationship.

No its ugly. Steven looks like a dumpy young Danny Devito for fuck sake

At that point she thought there was and Lars did everything he could to support that. He knows Sadie likes him and uses it to manipulate her all the time.

Once again see

Will Sadie ever be saved from this?

No seriously, does this happen in a later episode?

>that promo art
Steven approves of burning it all to the ground!

He'll end up being recruited by a government agency to hunt down gems indiscriminately after one more near-death encounter with a gem monster.

He's a total bitch. They'd be better off recruiting his gf.

They hinted at some character with that island episode.

>"Do you ever feel lonely? Even when you're around other people?"

>implying there will ever be more gem monsters in this show

Lars is worst gem

>Steven looks like a dumpy young Danny Devito for fuck sake

But he DOES look like that.

>Sadie becoming a government spook who takes questionable actions to protect people
I can dig it.

Not just there. He desperately wants in with the Cool Kids and constantly sucks up to them, and there was his childhood friendship with Ronaldo that he broke up because he was scared of being judged for it.

Lars fails to realize he lives in Beach City, where nobody gives a flying fuck. Seriously, aside from the alien magic shit, this is the chillest town ever. Breathe.

>"Do you ever feel lonely? Even when you're around other people?"

I didn't ask for this feel

But not nearly as much as he does in the pilot.

>constantly pushes away probably the only person who will genuinely love him no matter what

Get it together, Lars

Life isn't highschool.

I'LL GET MY SWOOOOOOORD FOR YOU, PEARLY

>Implying there are people in Beach City who AREN'T government spooks

Seriously?

William "The Dunce" Dewey was a special agent, handpicked by Ben Franklin, to investigate the mysterious goings-on in that area. Everything that happened from that moment on was just nature taking its course.

But he only really decided to stay himself and lead the mission permanently when he met Pearl.

His personal diary paints a haunting picture of a man consumed by confused and secret passions.

>Lars fails to realize he lives in Beach City, where nobody gives a flying fuck. Seriously, aside from the alien magic shit, this is the chillest town ever. Breathe.
Which is the biggest joke about Lars. If he stopped trying so goddamn hard there is a good chance that he would be friends with the cool kids already.

>all of Beach City is a monitoring station to track the Crystal Gems' activities
That's some SCP shit right there, and I would absolutely love it. But I very much doubt that's the case, since Sugar would've already dropped several hints about it by now.

>Fuse with Steven
Oh GOD. I didn't know I wanted this but I DO.

Would make for a good movie.

Series Steven is better imo

Is SU Ben Franklin from England?

>steven will never be your otouto
>adult-steven will never be your nii-san

What is the point of remaining alive if these scenarios are not possible?

It's called "the Truman show".

Eyepatch Guy is definitely HomSec, though.

...You think history was that skewed? Hmmm... do we have a source on that?

That's just the last straw for him. After that, he's out hunting Homeworld gems and digging through collapsed ruins for old tech for his buddies in R&D to reverse engineer.

The climax for a later season will be his eventual clash with the Crystal Gems when he's given the task to poof Peridot and bring her back for interrogation, a process he knows a gem can't survive due to the method used. Steven will plead and try to convince him to stop because Peridot is mostly harmless and is fighting to protect Earth now, but it won't make a difference to Lars. He has his orders, and they're standing in his way of completing them. It'll be him against all of them.

The only one who was improved upon was Pearl, she looked like Bowie here. Amethyst was basically the same but with more detail and I actually like Garnet more with her hair down.

>Eyepatch Guy is definitely HomSec, though.
Seriously, what is up with that guy? He has to be significant in some way, because he keeps showing up in the background, and foreshadowing is Sugar's #1 fetish.

What we hope to see: Lars gets a complete personality transplant, replaced by a shapeshifter or turned into a girl (those Larissa drawings were pretty hot).

What we will see: Lars trying to act different, but then completely revert to his old asshole self by the end.

I still call that "the new lars" will be about a gem that takes on lars form or takes him over.

>Larissa is a complete ass to Sad but he takes it because he has a crush on her
>she ditches and makes him cover for her while she goes on dates
>he finally has enough of her Leading him on and exploiting him and gives her a piece of her mind
>"Sigh, fine: I'll let you play with my tits while I give you a hand job for every time you cover for me on a workday and a blowjob for every time you cover for me on a weekend, deal?"
>"... Y-YES!!"

His name is Suitcase Sam.
He's just another schmuck on the pier that owns a shop of some kind, probably suitcases.
Onion had a poster of one of his sales or some shit in his room.

He's second best townie after Nanafua.

>There are people who unironically defend Sadie after the island episode

he's just the former child star who played Lil Butler

>Male Sadie's name is Sad
That'd be perfect.

I like the common suggestion that it'll be about Lars getting fired from the Big Doughnut, and Lapis taking his place.

>He's just another schmuck on the pier that owns a shop of some kind, probably suitcases.
Uh huh. Sure he is. Sam totally isn't some government spook assigned to keep track of the Crystal Gem's activities. Not at all. Nothing to see here. Move along, good citizen.

It's fine to kidnap a child and your crush for several days.

>Ronaldo nearly gets his ass beat in less than a few hours for kidnapping Steven on accident
>No mention on the gems or Greg's thoughts of Steven being missing for days in Island Adventure.

Lapis will just drown all the customers.

Lapis is a worse character than Lars though

>Jamie: *Is hoisted onto the stage by a rope* (As Pearl:) Greetings! I am Pearl! *Has a party hat tied around his face to look like Pearl's nose* And I come to you as a messenger of the brilliant Rose Quartz! *Throws rose petals into the air* We ask that you turn your ship around! The land you're headed for is no walk in the park for your species.

>Steven: Nonsense! I won't take orders from the likes of you!

>Jamie: Hmm! *Bends down* Well then! *Stands up again, now wearing sunglasses and a box on his head that's painted black in the front to look like Garnet* (As Garnet:) You should turn around, 'lest you fall into the sea! And you know... humans aren't... *Close-up* very good... *Close-up on his lips* swimmers. *Holds up a mop with a purple gem taped to it as a substitute for Amethyst* (As Amethyst:) They ain't!
>Jamie: (As the giant woman:) You may not want to stay, this land is dangerous.

>Steven: No! I will stay! For I am William Dewey, and I don't give up in the face of failure! *With the bad accent used earlier* That's what-a makes-a me greeeat-a!

>Jamie: (As the giant woman:) Very well then. But I can't promise you I won't interfere again.

>Steven: I shall name this new land in honor of my dead first mate, Buddy

I don't even think there was Native American tribes in North(and south) America. It looks like William was the first human there unless they had colonies on the west coast rather than the east by the gems.

HW left their flying saucers in South America and had checkpoints all throughout the North it makes sense that the Crystal Gems would push any human away.

Shit now that I think about it the giant wailing stone from the monopoly game is probably in Canada

Worse person, not worse character. Villains can be good characters, but Lars isn't even fun to hate. That's why I have my fingers crossed for him becoming a female hipster whore.

Nah, she'll just make them wish she would after talking to them for more than a minute.

>not liking Dick Squad
user, pls.

No, because he is a white cis male he is automatically irredeemable.

Nice try but Ian said that lars isn't white

Silly user, there's only ONE G-man in the show, and he doesn't even live in Beach City.
>He's "like a cop"
>His job has them "move around a lot"
>Clearly has military experience
He's gonna have to choose between his girl's love and the good old US of A sometime down the line.

Did they announce when he's going to barely survive a gem attack and receive augments?

Can't wait until they put the MMI into him.

Didn't Connie also say his job has him near beaches a lot?

Nah, Lapis will work at Greg's carwash.

Lars becomes less of a prick very slowly throughout the show's run, but much of it is little steps, minor details, and other subtle things. overall though, he's a self-centered dickbag teenager with a stunted sense of empathy born from what appears to be an adolescence of social ostracism. he's pretty much the sort of dude who was a nerdling, disowned and alienated his friends in an attempt to join the cool kid crowd, and wasn't accepted there, leaving him basically friendless - which he compensates for by being a prick and refusing to care about anyone or anything because it's not cool to do that.

i feel bad for him, insofar as one can extend empathy to such a wretch. i've known plenty of kids who are like him, and sometimes they turn out alright even though they are pretty awful for a long while.

I want that if only for the awkward talk where Greg points out the fact Lapis almost murdered his kid.

Weird thing is how we know almost nothing of his family. Where does he even live, too?

FYI, Marty founded X-COM in the SU universe. Doug is the current commander organizing the defense effort against the x-rays.

Wait, not even 'almost'. We know NOTHING whatsoever.

Maybe he has a cute sister

We don't even know his last name. Hopefully The New Lars clears some things up, for how much he's been on screen we know less about him than even the cool kids.

Lars is one of the boring background characters in the show, he usually shows up for a quick "He's a shitbag", "Aren't Sadie and Lars wacky", or "Wow isn't he sad" joke and only has focus on about 3 eps so he doesn't do much

My whole thing with him is that he's just a teenager, and teenagers are notoriously shitbags, so I can't fault him too much. Sure he's done some real dickish stuff, but so have a majority of the teen characters in the show....

Saddie-Stranded them on an island for weeks to force Lars into returning the feelings she has for him

Ronaldo-Was prepared to kill Lars over a petty childhood grudge and to impress a girl he barely knows

Mayor Dewey's Son-Publically humilates Steven's dad just to vindicate his own daddy issues and feels no remorse when called out on it

What I'm saying is, sure he's a shithead, but he has room to grow if done right

That guy looks like Kariya

Nah, Marty went on to be a huge success.
He made his own record business and got big. Then, years later, he saw some shitty youtube video made by some fry faggot, and he recognized something about it.
Rather than letting things get out of hand, he pulled DMCA on the video through his record label. And soon enough, he's going to come to Beach City to find this new "starchild"
keepbeachcityweird.tumblr.com/post/121711009986/tubetube-took-down-my-video-because-copyright

tfw lars starts to eat donuts.

CN'S ALREADY LEAKING, VIEW THE SPOILERS AT YOUR OWN PERIL. BE WARNED, ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE SPOILERS IN THE SECOND ONE.

youtube.com/watch?v=wDvhh6MJBT0
youtube.com/watch?v=3CpKsFdAY5w

WHAT IN GOD'S FUCKING NAME

ALREADY

WOW CN, you couldn't wait for two fucking weeks.

WOW

leaks thread here come and join in on the madness.

FUCK WHY COULDN'T THEY LEAK LIKE THE NEW LARS OR SOMETHING
BUT THEY HAD TO LEAK AN IMPORTANT EPISODE
FUCKING CN

Lads, lads. It gets "better". They're leaking promos for episodes that will be on AFTER the townie bullshit. They're spoiling episodes that are month away.

>CN releases spoilers
Great. Goodbye hype threads, goodbye discussion threads. I'll have to avoid those until this shit airs.

this thread needs more cute pictures of lars.