JSA Storytime: JLI

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

IT'S TIME

Other urls found in this thread:

jmdematteis.com/2016/07/in-praise-of-giffen.html
archive.is/zigG2
comicbookresources.com/article/heres-how-justice-league-rebirth-1-succeeded-where-other-one-shots-fail
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1) I'm running this off the digital trades

2) If you're new, HI, we are a regular storytiming group who reads 2-4 issues a night, same bat-time, same bat-channel

3) we're chatty, join in.

Ha, time for fun.

What perfect timing! JMD posted this today

jmdematteis.com/2016/07/in-praise-of-giffen.html

>It still amazes me that Keith and I have been working together this long—almost thirty years, on and off. Well, maybe it’s not so surprising: Despite the fact that Keith desperately wants people to think that he’s surly and cynical, Earth’s Biggest Malcontent, he’s actually an incredibly nice guy.

Anything I should know going in, or is basic knowledge of the characters enough?

woot woot best league desu

>"Unworthy Thor," by Jason Aaron and Olivier Coipel, arrives in October.

>"I wanted something big to come out of 'Thors' that would affect our characters going forward, so that turned out to be a hammer. This is just a great, great beast of metal," Aaron told io9 of the Ultimate Thor's weapon's appearance in "Unworthy Thor." "So to have that somehow fly through the events of Secret Wars and land in the normal Marvel Universe, which we saw at the end of 'Thors,' at Old Asgard— of course it went back to Old Asgard, but the old Asgard, nobody lives there. So, it’s just been sitting there, all this time."

Just ask, and someone will answer any questions. We're mostly chill people.

Yes, that was delightful. The bit about G'Nort, especially.

It's definitely a comedy book, so take some of the characterizations with a grain of salt.

is he going to fucking answer the fucking question?

>they didn't use the hot shirtless design

truly no point in even having a book

>is he going to fucking answer the fucking question?
No, we arent getting the Anka Beefcake comic we all deserve.

Is Maguire the most reaction face artist in mainstream comics?

Who is that between Scott an Jonn?

Is Thor is still going on? Bc I actually like it.

i'm excited to see the drama stuff everyone forgets about. there's a Despero story i'm hype for

>Infamous Iron Man #1, Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #1, and Solo #1 are the new names for three posters originally solicited by Marvel to retailers with their September products. They were previously solicited simply as a group of four generic (identified as A through D) "Marvel NOW!" posters, the fourth of which was also revealed today as the Champions #1 by [Humberto] Ramos poster.

>The Infamous Iron Man #1 poster is by International Iron Man artist Alex Maleev

>The Doctor Strange and Sorcerers Supreme #1 poster is by Batgirl artist Rafael Albuquerque.

>The Solo #1 poster is by All-New X-Men artist Paco Diaz.

>Purely on a speculative basis, if Infamous Iron Man is indeed a series joining the relauching Invincible Iron Man title, given the image above revealed by the publisher last week, Victor Von Doom seems as good a candidate as any to star.

>The Doctor Strange and Sorcerers Supreme could very well feature the magic-based group of characters such as Shaman, Scarlet Witch, and Doctor Voodoo which have been appearing regularly in Doctor Strange and its "Last Days of Magic" arc.

Dinah during her radfem phase.

1980s Dinah, believe it or not

Black Canary

Black Canary, I think.

As JMD says in the blogpost up there, Giffen did the plots as mini-comics/storyboards, and he took 'em and ran with them on dialoguing them.

Hello Storyteller.

>JLI
Dinah looks more ready for a brawl than Guy.

Also, did anyone else notice that Justice League Rebirth was pretty much straight ripping off Mass Effect, Doctor Who, and the Authority? Not sure if that's balls or just plain hack writing.

Pro-80s Dinah Costume

I want to see this outfit make a return as some kind of cold weather uniform.

Right? Why would they stop using the sexy shirtless design? Fuck you Marvel you can't do anything right

>Not sure if that's balls or just plain hack writing
maybe both

>Mass Effect
FEAR THE REAPER

archive.is/zigG2

>The fucking Collector

I didn't bother to read JL: R, how was it?

>second issue came in higher than the first
Does this EVER happen nowadays to Big Two comics?

I'm not sure anyone actually wants it back

speaking of Black Canary they announced one of those fancy premium statues for her and man what a disappointing sculpt

It was the worst rebirth book so far

CBR disagrees.

Yeah, Hitch writing is like "why", for me at least.

>cbr
>allowing excessive negative comments

It just looks warm, like it's something she'd wear on a Christmas date with Ollie to the ice skating rink or something.
Not as a regular thing.

So...Solo? Is anyone here reading Deadpool/Mercs for Money and can tell me about this? Do we know who's writing?

also is anyone reading Dr. Strange, I got bored and dropped that a while ago

I'm talking about their editorial, actually.
comicbookresources.com/article/heres-how-justice-league-rebirth-1-succeeded-where-other-one-shots-fail

I'm monitoring this thread.

drink every time you hit an amazing Guy face

your liver might hate you, warning

>Right? Why would they stop using the sexy shirtless design? Fuck you Marvel you can't do anything right
Marvel decided that, since SJWs are against fanservice, they won't do ANY.

They're missing out. Not even cheesecake, Thor would've been perfect for some Beefcake, and they're fucking it up.

>I didn't bother to read JL: R, how was it?
Meh. At first the opening with Lois talking Clark into reaching out to the League seems nice until you realize that, well, this is Clark fucking Kent, and he shouldn't have to be talked into saving people. The story is otherwise unremarkable aside from the aforementioned "references".

The art was hilariously bad though. Hitch cannot draw anyone, especially Diana, without a serious derp face.

Seriously. They're a spaces of enormous techno-organic starfaring cephalopods who want to assimilate humanity, actually fucking called Reapers. Again, not sure if balls are hack. Could be both.

>So...Solo? Is anyone here reading Deadpool/Mercs for Money and can tell me about this? Do we know who's writing?
I know Deadpool is popular enough to get multiple books himself, but his literally who support cast? Weasel book when

I thought about skimming for Simon but decided it wasn't worth it

Always weird reading back when Guy was just an asshole.

B W A H A H A
W
A
H
A
H
A

time for Blue&Gold, fellow owls

Hi Santa!

>Thor would've been perfect for some Beefcake, and they're fucking it up.
reminder that instead of putting Beefcake Thor on their Men of Marvel variants they put a headshot of Pube Beard Loki

i was enjoying Strange but I'm issues behind now.

>enjoying RDJ as Dr Strange
How?

HAIL SANTASEID!

Is it just me, or did CBR just start breaking things into pages so you'd have to click through and maybe get hit with more ads? More shame.

isn't Weasel dead? I mean, not that that changes anything

sometimes it got taken too far though. There's douchebag level and then there's sociopathic monster status. His reaction to Katma Tui's murder was all kinds of fucked up.

>isn't Weasel dead? I mean, not that that changes anything
I have no idea, I haven't really read any recent Deadpool stuff

but seriously who the fuck is Solo?

>His reaction to Katma Tui's murder was all kinds of fucked up.
yeah that was pretty fucked

that whole story was pretty bad, to be fair #bringKatmaback2016

press F to pay respects to JLD

See, I know that there's a market for pretty-boy twinks. I don't UNDERSTAND it, but I know it's there. But it wasn't even a good drawing!

I see you pick up memes quickly OP.

I just asked myself 2 days ago "When is Sup Forums gonna storytime JLI?" You people do good.

Who wrote this tripe?

Katma Tui could be handwaved back to life tomorrow and I would be delighted and ask no questions.

it's a pretty funny meme, NGL

Chris Priest

it's really not that bad. and the art.

>Katma Tui could be handwaved back to life tomorrow and I would be delighted and ask no questions.
Me too! I don't even care that it would cause a whole host of issues with Soranik and Sinestro

also, I want Charlie back. If we can have six earth GLs we can have seven

I loved the way Nate's solo used the change in President to drive some plot stuff

Never ask "when is Sup Forums going to storytime X?" user. Ask "how can I download X so I can storytime it?"
This is how we make this board great again!

lotta credit for making JLD being gone seem like a sad thing

I think Aaron needs to come off Thor. I wouldn't mind some fun Thor shit again.

Seriously? Wow.

>Katma Tui could be handwaved back to life tomorrow and I would be delighted and ask no questions.

Even if she gets the Bendis Doc Sampson treatment?

So does this mean that Mighty Thor is continuing with Dauterman, or is it flipping? And that Infamous Iron Man sounds like unmasked DOOM, yes?

POLL: Is Guy actually good at the sex, or not

God, I love the Maxwell pages that Maguire drew. So great.

I see that Wheel of Fortune hasn't changed much in the last thirty years.

3 x 3

based Giffen

Dauterman might continue on that one even though Coipel will probably stop drawing after #3

>2 Thor Books
>2 Cap Books
>2 Iron Man books

man what a time

>nothing in the Bible to support the existence of super-heroes
Okay, 1) that is one of the most retarded sentences I've ever read, and it sounds depressingly like something someone would actually say, and 2) Samson.

Yeah his GL action comics stuff was not great overall (and neither was PAD's for that matter)

Dauterman NEEDS to move to Beefcake Thor

Not.:D

And none selling enough to support their own existance. What the fuck is Marvel doing

Only Tora knows for sure.
You know what he was before becoming a Superhero, a Social Worker.

Like, can you even IMAGINE a social worker making comments like that "take me home" bit?

Priest's history with Green Lantern is not-great. He's the guy who gave us drunk driving manslaughtering Hal (which was retconned by Johns I think).

There's probably no way it could be that bad. But she's been dead so long that I don't care, she deserves a second chance that innumerable shittier characters have had.

Coipel isn't very fast, is he?

Is David the Batman of the Bible? What about Jesus?

Probably as slow as Shaner

Get used to it, it's the Eighties, nobody will accept the fantastic superheroic milieu for a few years.

>everyone is in civvies for the funeral service, including Kilowog and Arisia who are god damn aliens
>Hal just threw a trench coat over his GL uniform

I can't quite put into words why this works so well, but it does. Classic Hal. He didn't even bother buttoning up. I don't quite remember, was this during his "basically homeless" phase? When pretty much everyone from Alfred to Superman refused to let him crash at their place, even Ollie?

>Like, can you even IMAGINE a social worker making comments like that "take me home" bit?
I have some awareness of legal cases against social workers, so unfortunately yes.

Priest did a novelized version of that scene where Hal wasn't actually drunk, but he smelled like booze because he'd been in a bar and the OTHER people in the car had all been drinking but he crashed anyway because reasons and the cops just assumed he was drunk too

which is really convoluted and I think SBP's reality punch getting rid of the drunk driving makes about as much sense

>POLL: Is Guy actually good at the sex, or not
Hell no. He's only concerned about pleasing himself during coitus, with no regard for if his partner's enjoying themselves.

I think Coipel could do a couple of issues a year, probably alternating with someone. Aaron likes to do flashback fill ins and stuff.

YOLO

it's not that different from DC, i guess they figure more books > double shipping

Right, I just couldn't tell from what's copypasted if Unworthy is a replacement or if it's an addition. And Invincible IM is getting a new #1?

He was also a kindergarten teacher!

that was before the brain damage

>I can't quite put into words why this works so well, but it does. Classic Hal. He didn't even bother buttoning up. I don't quite remember, was this during his "basically homeless" phase? When pretty much everyone from Alfred to Superman refused to let him crash at their place, even Ollie?
yep, those scenes happen a couple issues after that one

he'd been living with John and Katma but John partly blamed Hal for Katma getting killed so that was obviously not going to work and he didn't have anywhere else to go

>Infamous Iron Man sounds like unmasked DOOM
The writer is gonna be everything on this one.

I assumed IIM is a new number 1 with Riri. no idea about Thor but i'm assuming that'll be around just cause why stop her? she's doing fine

Being Hal is suffering.

You know it's gonna be Bendis

Just fuck my shit up senpai

bad new. it's gonna be Bendis

bc bendis i ship tony/doom and need some mcu action to get fangirl content

>And Invincible IM is getting a new #1?
this is marvel storyteller

IIM was the highest selling book that month at like 280k with 20+ variants, don't think they won't do it again

Infamous Iron Man: See Who He's Calling a Cow Now!

HI BATSY

Yeah, that's Yet Another Bendis Bag.

Miles, Two IM books, GOTG, and maybe Jessica Jones? Eeesh.

fat piece of furniture!

>it's bendis again
>on GOTG
>Riri's IIM book
>Jessica Jones is probably getting a book
>Spider man still
>maybe Scarlet too while we're at it?

What's the most amount of books he's written at a time?

I vaguely remember another incarnation in the 90's that spawned as an offshoot or continuation of Justice League Europe, except I don't think Giffen/JMD had anything to do with it and it was called Justice League International (not abbreviated)

I think silverfox Hal was the team leader, with a bunch of 90's relics like Crimson Fox and the female Dr. Light