ITT: Overrated Movies

ITT: Overrated Movies

Been marathoning through Wes Anderson films for the first time ever, and I've actually loved most of them, but then I hit this piece of shit that's so far up its own ass that I almost couldn't stand it.

If I'd seen Moonrise Kingdom first, it would have been my last Anderson film.

I like Rushmore, Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic. I don't really care about the rest

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan and yeah, I personally really don't like this one. It feels like he's on autopilot and all the wit and charm of his previous films is completely missing here.

He redeemed himself with The Grand Budapest Hotel that came out right after this.

iirc this came out right at the height of the inexplicable obsession with all things bill murray.
Chive, zombieland, le reddit culture had all been hyping bill fucking murray for a while.

The order I've watched them in was:
Darjeeling --> Life Aquatic --> Grand Budapest --> Moonrise

The first three just got better and better, with Grand Budapest probably being the best film I've seen in years.

Moonrise was so fucking bad compared to those three it made me want to tear my hair out.

I like Rushmore and Tenenbaums a lot, but only saw Life Aquatic like once when it came out. Should I give it another chance?

I dunno, it got rave critical reviews too.
I just don't get it.

Yes.

if I also recall correctly it has some weird pedo scenes about children fucking each other. So that's probably why.

Life Aquatic is really, really, really good.

It's very easy to get though
it was praise for the same reason why so many people here liked it when it came out

I fucking love Moonrise Kingdom.

I honestly think Anderson has never made a bad movie.

Its his best movie alongside The Life Aquatic in my personal opinion

I absolutely loved Life Aquatic, but Moonrise felt like it was a hollow shell pretending to be as smart and heartfelt as something like Life Aquatic.

Focusing so much of the movie's runtime on shitty child actors that can't act is what ruined the movie for me.

someone "that" webm

Still a masterpiece compared to Darjeeling

Next post confirms which Wes Anderson movie I am watching tonight

Bottle Rocket

>Not liking Wes' tribute to cunny

Easing my parents into wes anderson, they're clearly confused and not sure what to laugh at when watching him. Life aquatic is the most 'Laugh out loud' I'd say, so i'm going with that.

I'd recommend The Grand Budapest.
It seems like the most accessible as more of a straightforward farce, and it's also one of his best.

Fantastic Mr Fox is my favorite.

I didn't like Grand Budapest.

Moonrise was okay.

Life Aquatic is easily the most pretentious film he's made yet, I will never understand the praise for that piece of shit

>dude tits lmao
>dude i'm black and i'm french lmao
>dude i hate my dad lmao
>dude art lmao

such garbage, i wish I could have those 90 minuets back to be honest

>dude delegitimizing any work with le dude le lmao lmao
>dude breathing lmao
>dude le not killing yourself lmao

are you so butthurt you can't even refute my completely valid and true points? is this the iq of your average wes anderson fan?

How are any of Anderson's movies overrated? It's not like they are essential classics, you just watch them if you like his style. I happen to like it and in emotional scenes his characters feel like they have a whirlwind of emotions inside.

As for overrated for me it's gran torino: all the characters felt really one dimensional and the young guy couldn't act for shit. Watching him being a tough guy on words with a delivery of a bitch boy and still getting respect from eastwood's friends wasn't a pleasant experience.

>dude I'm black and I'm french lmao
That dude was portugese

that makes it even worse desu

Most of Anderson's characters set the mood by delivering lines in a deadpan tone of voice, with quick responses.

When you have children doing it, the effect gets diminished. It reminds too much of bad child acting and presents the dialog as too wooden and unrealistic. The kids are my biggest problem with Moonrise.