Was last nights episode of Twin Peaks the greatest pelb filter of all time?

Was last nights episode of Twin Peaks the greatest pelb filter of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. It separated really Lynch fans from muh coffeee pseuds.

It's a double pleb filter

Anyone liking this post-modern schlock of an episode has never dealt with contemporary artist and visual arts communities. This is legitimately generic pleb shit but you faggots will defend anything. It was a waste of an episode that will in no way tie into the greater background of the series, mark my words

>explosions
>gratuitous violence

That episode was pleb as fuck.
Ask any pleb on the street if they would rather watch a show filled with explosions and murder and a sort of zombie-esque invasion, or a show where polite people go to a diner and eat delicious pie and drink coffee and comment on how much they enjoy it, the pleb would most definitely chose the former.

I've seen Lynch interviews and I'm amazed at how dumb and simple minded he is. Why do retards think he's "deep" or something? He sounds half retarded

So pleb filter is your new word now?
Hard to keep up with you, people.

>muh abstract art is better than lynch's abstract art

go jack off to Brakhage silent films some more

I can't believe you're all Trump supporters.

it was fucking god awful wankery is what it was

>samefagging this hard

get a load of this unemployed "graphic artist" loll everybody laugh at him Hahahahah!

because he shows flashes of brilliance eg.) Mulholland Drive being such a unique/abstract movie concept

but yeah the episode was shit (except for the NIN performance), this season is pretty shit, and by now I think it's safe to say that this "revival" is just a means of milking fans for a few months of Showtime subscriptions

L Y N C H E D

kek so true. you just know his parents dropped tens of thousands on his art degree

Lol I work in banking bro(s), I just know the extended Philadelphia and NYC "artist" circles through various ties I've had through my life. Family, friends, etc. And that last episode reminded me of some of the shittiest plays I've seen over the years at the Wilma. Blanka Zizka tier bullshit

If you guys immediately jump to attacking my career choices based on literally no information that just shows you're unwilling to accept any criticism of Lynch and realize that you're just stuck in this Emperor's New Clothes deal. Lynch is basic bitch postmodernism

Do you have a card?

Yes
I'm not posting it

This episode was horrendous and if I didn't think episode 7 was good, relative to the current series, I'd completely drop it. If the next one is anything like this one; I'm done with it.

Have you heard the new Huey Lewis disc? Its sublime... here have a seat...

Are you going to defend the episode or continue in jokes that I don't follow? I guess something without any substance can't be defended, can it?

I am not defending anything.

The episode for me was effective.. I watched it with increasing awe and much of that was knowing there were millions of others seeing it at the same time loving being taken on a cinematic joyride through a subject they have loved for decades,

When you produce soemthing seen by millions and discussed for decades ad infinitum you'll have my attention.

>The episode for me was effective.. I watched it with increasing awe and much of that was knowing there were millions of others seeing it at the same time loving being taken on a cinematic joyride through a subject they have loved for decades,
>When you produce soemthing seen by millions and discussed for decades ad infinitum you'll have my attention.

Really? Increasing awe? Some stupid lava lamp shows and then some cliché 1950s "unnerving" scenes? That's what I meant about postmodern playwrights and their communities, I've seen loads of similar designs and sequences. It's really nothing special and judging from Lynch and who I suspect his "crowd" of people is it's really basic, unimaginative shit. It's like a Romanticist painter painting a gnarled tree, and not particularly well; cliché and unworthy of being remembered
>"well you're not rich and famous!" tier jab!
Literally grasping at straws. No argument, and your mentality reveals yourself as hoi polloi

Swallowing semen down the docks isn't called banking user. Don't be ashamed of yourself. It's the oldest profession and nobody will think any less of you.

the problem with your critiscism is this is what we got. we don't see any of all the other works you want to claim surpass this... they are unrealized as far as the world goes..

understand? Lynch got his shit on the air.. having wild ideas and novel concepts in art is not unique.. I find myself creating fantasias on music while I;m listening all the time but I have yet to write anything like a riff on Beethoven's 5th pc mvt #2 on a Kurzweil synth to which you can dance .. so I don't slam others who get their work sold. like a great philosopher recently said

FUCKING THANK YOU!

People thinking this shit is enlightened or even new, lol.

This is a fucking navel-gazing pastiche of poorly fleshed out ideas that Lynch had when making Eraserhead and bullshit references from a silly fan book Frost wrote to make some cocaine money.

The real genius is a person who can develop a coherent story that genuine shocks and intrigues.

>The real genius
WHERE IS IT??????????????

The two people arguing ITT, christ

You have to be real devoid of life to not be able to enjoy twin peaks season 3. Even if you don't like it it's extremely unique and fascinating to watch. I don't understand why people are offended.

But it has a narrative purpose by being how Bob comes to earth tho...

For 45 minutes while they watched it, yes.

>that will in no way tie into the greater background of the series, mark my words

It explicitly showed us how and why BOB was created.
It also established that Laura/BOB lore is far more important than some sketchy wood spirit harassing a druggie girl.

>The two people arguing ITT, christ

talk about pretentious twats. good thing they dont have real jobs. theyll be very ready when America goes full FEMAcamp. lel.

I know , I'm glad I have a low IQ.. ammiright?

Name 10 recent artists that do anything like this, Mr. Expert.

Not experimental film... art world stuff.

Betcha can't. (mainly because this was more related to film experimentalism than to art world forms, but you wouldn't know that, would you?)

WTF is going on? Is it a good episode or NOT?

WTF Sup Forums WTF

did you watch it?

Do you have an opinion?

can you support it with reasoned arguments?

Are you asking random strangers to tell you what to think?

The irony in this is you're obviously really just a philistine storyfag who wants this to be more ordinary. But you front like you're so deep into art.

You're just a boring narrativefag.

He's not just using it though, he's using it to express how chaos created Bob and the demons and using all that experimental shit to just express that in a unique way. Stop reading in and comparing this shit to other people solely on filming techniques you fuck. That's like comparing artist and saying one is better because of the type of brushes they use

Hahaha
LYNCHED
Y
N
C
H
E
D

Not him but listening to someone claim to love a work thinly lacks a narrative is like watching someone press their face to a stoveburner while shrieking "it doesn't hurt! It doesn't hurt!"

Human artististry is grounded in narrative. The attempt to divorce art from it is contrived.

I am telling you this is an ARCHTYPE.

One day i decided I would write soemthing... I thought of a story that would include an attempt to suggest the manner is which evil came into the world.

I ended up with the idea of a dimensional weak spot in a cave where evil entities were able to influence vulnerable people who wandered there with emenations from their energentic bodies.

I actually had some decent dialouge near the start but I included a true story of a local murder and thought that if I ever published it I;d get a visit from the State Police because I envisioned the killers morning leading up the the murder..

that spooked me and I also wouldn't have wanted the girls family to suffer by it..

that said I had never read Lovecraft but had seen twin peaks before and I guess it settled in my imagination ... that or its a basic human archetype.

>lacks a narrative
you need to consider that the narrative escapes your limited, stunted, feeble imagination.

F I L T E R E D

Archetypes aren't a bad thing, you just sound really really fucking butt hurt that David Lynch came up with the same thing as you

he didn't get the reference,

youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

Music by definition doesn't have a narrative

You know what kind of people like to name drop?
Plebs.

>people are either too dumb to understand the creation myth presented wordlessly in the last episode or too contrarian to recognize the art
Worst timeline, best episode

The "surrealism for the sake of surrealism" thing is very much over for Twin Peaks by this point. Viewers need answers and statements; "The Return Part 8" is a meandering collection of visual garbage that does not concretely tie into any aspect of Twin Peaks with any level of clarity. And I get it; crazed old man hypnotizes a bunch of people with his voice, kills a couple people and ends up at some point becoming disembodied in a way that he is part of the spectral team who resurrects Cooper. It's not that I don't "get" the elements that can be tied to the episode's concrete beginning; it's just a shitton of work to tie it all together and it is not compellingly tied to the rest of the season or Twin Peaks. Leaping back to historical events in New Mexico with disconnected characters and people previously only seen in Agent Cooper's visions without progressing the primary narrative is just the cinematic equivalent of bait and switch.

Ultimately, "The Return Part 8" is one of the worst episodes of Twin Peaks ever produced as it does not advance the story, develop the characters, allow the performers to show off any real talents or even tell a coherent story using the medium with any finesse. It is masturbatory visual garbage that could be any random film school project without having any relevance or tie to Twin Peaks.

>tell a coherent story
Art is supposed to make you feel something. Lynch and other artist can do that without telling a coherent story.

>Art is supposed to make you feel something
Formalists would disagree

I liked everything up until last nights episode. Retard Coop was funny; edgy Coop was unnerving; overall there was a good balance between many different subplots. And then - BAM - "the" Nine Inch Nails plays some dadrock industrial music and then I'm stuck watching a fairly uninteresting series of special effects all amounting to muh BOB bad and muh Laura good.

So what was the takeaway from it all, Sup Forums? My theory is that the whole sequence is the story about BOB's conception - he's something of an antichrist, born from the Virgin Mary archetype young girl (notice how the name of the previous girlfriend of the boy who walked her home was Mary?) after she swallows the bug / frog thing. As for the zombie hobos, I don't know. Maybe they're hellbound souls who work under BOB? It would make sense considering how they revived edgy Coop. Not sure how they went from being physical entities in the '50s to ghostlike figures in the present day though.

If you don't like surrealism why the fuck are you watching Twin Peaks? The original series would have been a lot more like this too had Lynch's relationship with the studio not been incredibly restricting and troubled. It's just bizarre to me that faggots like you want to jump on the train and say some utterly obnoxious shit like "The "surrealism for the sake of surrealism" thing is very much over for Twin Peaks". Fuck off.

Abraham Lincoln Woodsman is the best.

t. armond white

There was nothing unnerving about the 50s scenes.

This is the basic archetype of the United States and the land it sits upon and Lynch is playing with that. Some call it lazy, some call it brave, but the truth is this is the uneasy shit that's in the back of everyone's minds. Fields of gold soaked with blood. Slaughter and ethnic cleansing. Building bombs to accomplish more of the same. Ghosts of all these dead crowding the American mind. Ghosts living in a land with no time because gone before their time. Ghosts with the power to influence the time that is today.

This is the water.

THE HOMELESS WERE CREATED IN THE FIRST NUCLEAR EXPLOSION. FACT.

>that will in no way tie into the greater background of the series
It already has though. Most of the episode can already be referenced to other things in the series and his other movies. It's not random.

>And then - BAM - "the" Nine Inch Nails plays some dadrock industrial music and then I'm stuck watching a fairly uninteresting series of special effects all amounting to muh BOB bad and muh Laura good

I forgot about Nine Inch Nails; I wanted that scene to end as soon as it started and then it kept going on and on. Absolute terrible, all the shitty music in the Road House and turning Twin Peak's major locations into hipster attractions. Bob's origin is the last thing I needed to see in the show, I liked the ambiguity. When I watched the first two seasons I thought of him as a malevolent pleasure seeking Daemon. Then Fire Walk With Me included the fear aspect

He should've hired Pere Ubu

They're not homeless, they're woodsmen.

This

The psuedo-intellectuals on Sup Forums who have never seen any real arthouse watched this TP episode and now think that it's the greatest thing ever.

Even the coffe-pie normies weren't this annoying as these pretentious fucks who think that Lynch is some postmodern surrealism god.

We don't know that BOB originated from the explosion. That blast may have just been a vehicle for him to manifest himself in the real world.

The newest episode was honestly pretty weak, even from the perspective of abstract art.

The lodge has been around forever, you're responding to someone who is mad his fan fiction isn't canon.

It wasn't abstract, smart ass

>that huge sequence of nothing but noise
>not abstract

>Penderecki's Threnody
>noise
top pleb

>except for the NIN performance
Too obvious friend, you gotta tone it down next time.

Ever been inside a mushroom cloud? That's what it is like.

is there one legitimate opinion in this thread or all of you just sucking each other off to argue and decide who is more fucking cool i swear to god

>jokes that I do not follow
millennial spotted

Regardless whether I enjoyed last nights or not. I'm impressed Lynch got it passed producers and got it aired.

It was great but not 10/10 REVOLUTIONARY LANDMARK TELEVISION.

Jesus fuck I wish I could squash the heads of the faggots who say that shit edgy but also coincidentally a reference so I can get away with it this time around ;)

No one has ever done this before, you pretentious little girl! No one! call if half baked if you like but show me some one, anyone who has ever tried this type of film making before? I'm reminded of Paul Takes the Water of Life. You're a little child who knows nothing and I despise you.

*Call it half baked if you like....

>No one has ever done this before
Lynchbabbies, I swear.

You are telling me nobody has ever done non-narrative surrealistic art films besides Lynch?

Before calling others children how about you fucking educate yourself.

Brakhage and Svankmajer are just a few influences for Lynch.

on fucking television not just EVER DONE

>Its a five minute NIN performance shoehorned inbetween scene completely out of nowhere episode

Bravo Lynch

I thought the effects were amazing. Where has it been done before so well?

Have you ever seen, Brak and Svan on American Television? Lemme know before you punch yourself in the balls, okay, thanks.

>I'm reminded of Paul Takes the Water of Life
Why did he use Dune as an example then?Clearly Dune isn't a Prime time TV show either. He wasn't talking about television or if he was he should have phrased it better.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure arthouse has been shown on prime time TV before but even if it hasn't just because Lynch did doesn't make it the best thing ever.

>Brakhage and Svankmajer
I said, I'M REMINDED OF DUNE! As in, I am reminded of Dune, as in, I saw that very scene thirty plus years ago only this scene's deeper than that. And don't quote Svan and Brak as if they're contemporary consumption. They're sophisticates for a niche only true to form artist knows about,namely Lynch, and nerds, you.
But since you're a nerd, point me in the direction of some of their works where such ladtages are used.

because Dune is much more accessible because it's not original Lynch to begin with- and even at that point Jodorowsky was more arthouse in his depiction anyway this is fucking pointless

Jesus christ just because it's something you don't like doesn't make it bad. You and your ilk are a disease upon society

t. Trent Reznor

rec me some proper arthouse i wanna see that shit

No, I've actually read the book Lynch on Lynch which is a collection of interviews with him by a film journalist and he's actually a pretty thoughtful and insightful guy. One with maybe a bit of a narrow range of interests and an odd way of looking at the world but... well, he's no idiot by any means.

Contrast that to someone like Andy Warhol who was every bit as shallow as he seemed. But because of that mental simplicity he saw beauty in the most mundane things. But I digress.

Not agreeing with him though:

Frost/Lynch are men of deep spiritual pursuits; his Art addresses the falling away of simple daylight innocence (Laura) to confront the Shadow (BOB) before finding rest in the White Lodge

Mere """postmodernism""" would not address such Traditionalist subjects

I liked it because it served a purpose of a narrative. I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever but it was interesting way to depict an evil that humans don't understand coming into the world and being a catalyst for bigger events. I don't think lynch was trying to break new ground with this, it's just his tv show and that's how he thought to show it. Everyone else is running around claiming it's high art or shit, lynch just put it out there

Well memed

you still watch this crap?

Hahaha
LYNCHED
Y
N
C
H
E
D

I agree with what you said, but the poster you replied to was explicitly not referring to people like us so your post is kind of moot.

Your first mistake is thinking that BOB (or any of the other spiritual beings for that matter) is some kind of omnipotent supreme being, that episode made it pretty fucking obvious that despite being underworlders are still at the whim to a set of metaphysical laws.
This the first time I've really seen Lynch get political, the nuclear explosion of 1945 contrasted with the hatching of that monstrous bug, symbolizing the birth of a new disease (conceived by the govt) which finds its way inside teenage girl, meaning this the point where an unnatural change took place. Also worth a note is that the bug was able to infiltrate her body thanks to the homeless man that sedated her. This episode was fine you're an autist if you dislike it honestly.

>still
But you never did