My knowledge of propane is 100% based on the claims and opinions of Hank Hill

My knowledge of propane is 100% based on the claims and opinions of Hank Hill.

Is propane ACTUALLY the most superior fuel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Charcoal's better to be completely honest

It entirely depends if you like the smokey flavor that charcoal gives.

Agreed. Why did Hank sperg so much about tasting only "the meat"? He'll take the smokey flavor of something cooked on wood all day long, but not smokey flavor from charcoal? One of the best burgers I ever had was cooked in a press over a charcoal fire.

When burning propane releases more heat then coal, if I'm reading the chart correctly. Pure propane will also produce only carbon dioxide and water. But it's also a gas that means you always risk explosion.

the MOST superior is wood. Wood is all that is good.

Technically charcoal does have some nasty chemicals in it that you don't want wafting over your food, although the specifics would depend on what kind of charcoal you use.
Propane is a hell of a lot easier, not only to use but for proper heat control.

for heating and shit it beats natural gas.. but we have a lot more natural gas. so it's best to just save it for cooking.
tanks can be unsafe, but pipelines can be unsafe too, so it's kind of even there.
charcoal (which i might remind you IS wood) makes the best tasting food and the best maillard reactions even without the flavor factoring in (mainly because propane releases water vapor), however it takes for fucking ever to get it set up, and then you have to wait forever for it to be done. it's the 'oven' of grilling. basically it made sense back in the day when everyone had fires going all the time, just scoop out some of the partially-burned shit and cook food over it.. actually it was even more efficient because you'd cook SOME things over the SUPER high heat, then as it burned down, different things, then like, you'd bake bread over the lowest heat.. then just keep shit warm in the fully-dead fireplace that's still warm.. that kinda shit.
in the modern day fuck that, we have hot and cold running FIRE. you want the smoky flavor? liquid smoke, bitch. it's literally smoke mixed into water, basically distilled smoke.

>Like four episodes showing how pretty much everyone prefers the taste of charcoal burgers
>Everyone gives up on them as if Propane is the moral choice

Depends really what you're going for. Propane is probably the quickest and good for a simple, everyday thing. Charcoal leaves a slightly different flavor on the met that's well... charcoaly. Some like it, some don't.

It's actually kinda odd that Hank has such a hard on for Propane. Texas takes it's BBQ super serious. Wood is used by a lot of people, and pretty much everyone agrees that you get better flavor. The thing is, wood isn't as efficient as coal or propane so it takes much longer. I knew a guy with a wood smoker who would let his brisket smoke for a good 12 hours. Really that's true of most meat, the longer you let it cook (with wood) the more it captures that smokey flavor. That's also why BBQ chains usually suck, you can't really operate on that level and take that long to cook shit. That's also why any real joint will have shitty hours. So it's a trade off.

Probably an okay analogy is Xbox/Playstation/PC wars. So while most people are going to use propane or charcoal for their weekend cookout, the differences aren't major. But if you're really into BBQ, like if you wanna open your own restaurant, or compete in a real competition, you're going to use wood.

As a side note, you can just use some wood chips with propane or charcoal to get a better flavor in your meat, that's probably the best comprise you can make if you don't wanna smoke for ages.

Hank is an autist

Idiot here. Can you explain how charcoal works? It's just burnt wood, so how does wood that's already burnt burn better then actual wood?

>Implying Propane isn't the moral choice

It's the most environmentally friendly, but does not have good flavor. You can however incorporate a tray of wet wood chips near the burners which will add a bit of smoke.

Otherwise just use wood, if it's available. I don't have access to a gas grill at the apartment complex, so I use wood from tree branches that are abundant here, and supplement it with a little charcoal. Burns great and tastes amazing.

Go to bed, Hank.

It's wood that was turned into mostly lumps of carbon.

Charcoal is wood that has heated in an absence of oxygen until the water content and volatile chemicals have been removed leaving behind mostly carbon.

youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY

It's got all the extra shit like water and sap and shit burned away already so less energy is expended in the burning process which lets the flame get hotter.

Wood is stuff that burns along with bark and a circulation system and other stuff the tree needs to live.

Charcol is just the burning stuff, it's distilled burning stuff packed in tight.

>It's actually kinda odd that Hank has such a hard on for Propane. Texas takes it's BBQ super serious.
There was an ep where Hank was butt-hurt that propane wasn't used at the State Grill-off.

This makes it a substance that burns easily, evenly hot, and with minimal flare up, but the down side is that you're effectively using twice as much energy and producing twice as much pollution to cook the same meal.

Also briquettes tend to have chemical binders and excelerants in them.

Wood really is best, if it is abundant. Various hardwoods.

>Propane lovers should go to sleep
>Charcoal lovers get to stay up

Someone oughta kick your ass.

Because his identity revolves around his job, and he'd have to admit he had been accepting a lie all this time.

What are Hank's opinions on solar?

Well hank hates Electric stoves, so I don't think he'd approve, but on the other hand one of his main selling points on Propane is that it's clean burning.

He'd probably have mixed feelings

He is! I think the propane actually says a lot about his character. He's being extremely autistic and snobish, about something he doesn't seem fully educated about. There's pretty much no difference in flavor between charcoal and gas because a perfect charcoal burn produces little or no smoke. (In reality though, charcoal doesn't usually burn perfect).

Back on the console/PC analogy, Hank is like that kid who doesn't fully understand the technical side of the console, but is really a fanboy and crusades it around regardless.

I'm not a chemist or even a very smart guy either, so I don't know the technical details into how some of these things work, I've learned most of this from cooks and stuff. To my understanding there's two things:

1) charcoal has like no water vapor or shit to get the more "natural" flavor of the smoke out. That's why you soak your wood chips if you're using that psuedo-wood method I metioned earlier. By having more water, it'll turn into vapor, meaning you got more flavor in the air to hopefully get soaked up by the meat.

2) There's some sorta process in making charcoal that ends up making it more that just wood. Whatever that process means that it burns much hotter and more efficient because they got rid of some "parts" of the wood chemically. I think.

I guess I don't remember that ep. You remember the title?

Not him, but I think it was the episode with the giant anamatronic cowboy

>I have no clue what I'm talking about and am not even a very smart guy but let me give my uneducated opinion on Hank not having any clue what he's talking about.

You like wood?
I bet you like faggots too.
Freak

I'm saying that on the chemical side of charcoal, like I don't the exact process that turns it into charcoal, you know?

>that episode where Hank tried cooking with charcoal and everyone thought it tasted much better than the propane burgers.

Don't get bogged down in the barbecue argument, propane is not only excellent for cooking but also for fueling hot water heaters, space heaters, and even as an alternative fuel for automobiles.

Indeed. It's not like you get a "pure" experience of just the meat and nothing more from propane, because one of the products of its combustion is water vapour, which affects the cooking. Charcoal produces a completely dry heat, and as long as it's GOOD charcoal, the only smoke produced will be from the fats dripping off the meat onto the coals, so the smokiness you get is actually another flavour from the product.

I really should watch King of the Hill

So where do we stand on Natural Gas BBQ? Clearly wood is the "I'm doing this right, fuck the time it takes", but where doe NG fit in?

Charcoal is overrated. If you want smokey smell, use wood chips. You can even use them on a propane bbq. It can be a challenge to properly place a smoker box since they need to be closer to the burner and the grill gets in the way. There are stainless mesh pouches that limit oxygen that might work better so the chips smolder rather than burn.

The main problem it that it's simply not cost effective for someone to get a propane grill with adequate BTU output when just a hibachi or a normal charcoal grill with hardwood chunk and a hair drier can out compete it easily

I use propane for my blacksmith forge. It works, it's easy, and I spend my time forging rather than tending the fire. But I also have a shit forge design that I need to replace because I can't get up to Forge welding temperatures with it.

I help a friend out at his forge and it's not particularly hard to tend a coal fire. Got a barn full of the stuff after an old boarding school was cleared out and they found a fully stocked boiler room.

Warm food is warm food whether you grill it on gas or charcoal tbqh

Only americans can be elitist enough about minor shit to make a huge deal about it.

You say that, but you've never had a barbecue that's been slow cooked till it's so tender you can brush your hand across it and the meat falls off the bone.

Charcoal briquettes are good for simple grilling, like a burger.

Propane is good for everyday use, but you'd better have some electric heaters stowed away in case you run out right after the snow hits and the trucks can't come for 5 days.
Hard to run out of electricity, but you have to stay on top of how much propane you have in the tank.

It's not that propane itself is the moral choice, it's about making Hank happy since he's so deluded about propane.

Ignore him he's probably a skub fan.