Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hqs44zr4rMo
youtube.com/watch?v=egsfYdxQRr8
youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DOCTOR DOOM DONE RIGHT

Wasted potential.

This.

He was actually menacing for a good part of the season.

Then they throw all that shit out real quick.

The almost best villain in the franchise. Then they kind of shit the bed with him.

Many think that him being a bloodbending is lame, but I think it makes him more interesting. Not some evil chosen one, that'd be lame.

Unfortunately, the writing itself used it to cop out of discussing his points.

Yep. They could've done so much with his character, purely from a political standpoint, but they didn't have the runtime.

For fuck's sake, they hired Steve Blum AND Lance Henriksen to be his second-in-command and yet they did nothing with those two powerhouses.

Nobody cared who he was after he took off the mask.

Exactly it. You get all these amazing premises for Korra in the first season and then you just fuck around with them and don't really use them.

I think he's a waterbender.

It was obvious from the start who he was, how Hiro and the rest of the Big Hero 6 gang didn't figure it out immediately is beyond me.

bloodbender and metalbender?
what a villain!

>but they didn't have the runtime
They didn't have the guts anyway.

It's really weird because I still can't tell why it was so disappointing. Like everything was there but it fell flat.

IIRC, he was supposed to be the villain of both Seasons 1 and 2, and Season 1 was supposed to end with him being bailed out of a tough spot by spirits, revealing he really WAS chosen by the spirits for...something.

Then the writers were told they probably won't get a second season and has to figure out a way to finish Amon's arc in half the time they were expecting.

Look at how fucking boss this guy was:
youtube.com/watch?v=Hqs44zr4rMo

Fucking look and tell me this wasn't the hypest shit of all time. This dude walks through arguably the most difficult and insanely OP style of bending, something that has, every single time we've seen it before, totally owned everyone it's been used on, main characters included. And he WALKS RIGHT THROUGH IT.

And not only is physically imposing by way of shrugging off bloodbending, and being able to take bending away, (and having a dope mask and voice performance) BUT- he also has perfectly legitimate complaints with the system. His entire family was slaughtered? His face scarred beyond repair? That's some heavy shit. I'd be pissed to.

And not only THAT, but the Spirits agree with him? How is the Avatar supposed to fight someone who has the Spirits on his side? Isn't the point of the Avatar to fight FOR the Spirits? What a crisis!

But no. He was just some fucking guy. The end.

Because the main characters had literally nothing to do with the resolution.

>An entire revolution was quelled instantly because a bender ended up being a dickhead liar with OP abilities, when said movement's main problem with the world was LITERALLY ABOUT BENDERS BEING DICKHEAD LIARS WITH OP ABILITIES
>Korra does absolutely nothing to earn Airbending- she just gets it randomly for no reason
>The villain just explodes on a boat and is never brought up again
>Every single compelling part about Amon (tragic and empathetic backstory, connection to the spirits, the revolution following him) was thrown away for no reason
>Korra gets her all her bending back because now she can interact with her past lives for literally no reason even though she couldn't do it at all earlier
>After getting captured like 3 times in the first season alone, Korra learns from absolutely nothing and chooses to go fight Amon alone AGAIN, and loses, AGAIN, and has to rely on Mako to save her ass AGAIN

This is just a brief overview of it's problems.

Tonraq should have been the MC

Butch lesbians are just gross

>that episode when Amon equalized Steve Blum.

At about what season do you feel the network would've dropped it if it wasn't a sequel to the last airbender?

Two, no doubt

Sounds about right.

Good chara design in a shitty season.

Lost his edge when he was revealed to be a literal who.

This desu. I did like his fake back story he gave himself more he had so much potential then. Or maybe it had to do with him having an extremely unique bending style, but not only that he is also unique to that bending style since he can Bloodbend without a moon. And on top of that he is the best bloodbender ever. He was pretty much a special snowflake at the end.

There was no moral resolution. He was never morally defeated. Never proven wrong. They just rolled with "You only think this way because you have shitty childhood" but you can smell this fallacy from mile away even if you don't know formal title.

As far as his characterization, origin and power goes, it was absolutely sensible.

Korra shouldn't have been turned into a lesbian.

They took the motivation for a personal antagonist (a Zuko/Azula type villain) and applied it to an institutional antagonist (somebody like Zhao or Long Feng) and it didn't provide a resolution.
It didn't matter why Zhao or Long Feng did what they did, it was never about them as an individual in the way that it was regarding Zuko and Azula. Why Zhao, Long Feng and formally Amon worked as villains was because they were embodiments of institutions or systems or movements that were aggressive and/or corrupt.
In contrast, Zuko and Azula's motivations needed to be explained on a more personal level because they didn't really represent anything grander than their own, intimate journeys.
Bryke tried to explain an institutional villain with the backstory of a personal villain, which is like trying to pigeonhole the broad views of a mass movement on a single, stereotyped caricature.

I'd rather LoK had stayed a 1 season show than have to go through Book 2 and 4.

Though it would have prefered if they could have made Book 3 a 1 season show, since the Red Lotus to me cooler than the equalists who weren't bad themselves.

He was a little more interesting when we didn't know anything about him.

Surprised this wasn't the first comment, desu.

>>Korra does absolutely nothing to earn Airbending- she just gets it randomly for no reason
This is the biggest one. His defeat has no buildup or payoff. He just suddenly loses for contrived reasons.

Could have been something new and interesting, but then he turns out to just be a water bender using a form of blood bending.

They had the best premise for TV show as popular as this. BENDERS VS NONBENDERS. U know, on one hand we are irl, nonbender and don't take akin to others being treated better so we would be on their side, but also, we love benders so it would be conflicting. U know, why is ozai losing his bending a bad thing? Normal humans can't have power? It would have been 4 seasons worthy

Best LOK villain and I consider him on par with Azula in terms of how iconic they are. I was fine with him turning out to be a bloodbender, but I agree that specific point could have benefited from the season being longer so they could do a better job building it up. Before the reveal the only hint we had is that he could resist Tonraq's bloodbending and everyone thought he had artificial limbs before they thought he could be a bloodbender too.

Great idea

Great execution

Terrible contrived resolution

HOLYSHITWHATTHEFUCK ending

Wasted potential

This was always a dumb idea. We all like to call Korra gullible but we all fell for Amon's spiel like a bunch of idiots.

It would have been better than
>jk, no actual moral conflict hete, and bloodbending lets him take away bending somehow

>This was always a dumb idea

Well yeah, but so was psychic bloodbending.

God I miss S1

>jk, no actual moral conflict
How does a "writer" look at this and think that's alright.

Bloodbending is a good idea, and is actually fitting well with lore (Except writers apparently disagree with the interpretation that makes sense)

Problem is dismissing conflict with this cop-out.

Fantastic until they revealed his backstory.

At the time we didn't know you could break the rules of bloodbending. And we knew that spirits could do weird shit.

There's some Sup Forumsfag who has a YouTube channel that actually did a pretty decent take down of his character.

It's funny how all the Equalists valid complaints were somehow rendered moot by Korra punching him in the face enough times.

>all the Equalists valid complaints
>all
You mean the ones the fandom made up and were never brought up in the show because they didn't make any sense?

Honestly I'm glad they made it canon that you don't need the moon to bloodbend because it gives them more opportunities to use what's a pretty interesting technique. I don't know how I feel about the psychic part though.

My God, seeing that video just cemented how much wasted potential Legend of Korra turned out to be.

But hey, we got a giant, evil Dark Avatar in season 2!

I'd let Steve Blum ravage my asshole any day.

Dude's so fucking awesome.

the hero who could have saved us all

but then Bryke got the green light, and as a result we got Vatu, edgy anarchists and a Lesbo ending

Bryke thought the show would have ended there and then....so bad resolution.

then they got the green light for futher seasons....and well we know, it was horse-shit from then on

>Korra defense force shows up

fun's over

Lesbo ending was hardly unplanned. That shit was hinted form S1

>Great execution
A few cool scenes does not a character make, especially when they did fuck all with him or the ideas and the explanation ruins a lot of what made him interesting

>didn't have the guts

I dunno, they had Korra actually lose her bending for a bit and contemplate suicide, then ended the season on a murder/suicide.

They actually severed the past lives connection and changed up the whole world.

If legend of korra had anything, it was guts and a willingness to shake some shit up. What it didn't have was subtlety or assurance of a consistent budget/contract; which you would need for an actually thoughtful political plot.

get out while you bloody can user

get out and never return

I don't think he shrugged it off, i think he bloodbent his own blood, since he is stronger at that than his brother, he could overpower him in that aspect, although that was my speculation, but if it's correct, that scene would've been very anticlimactic, but amon really was a good villain

And that's fine, but it specifically being Koh was a stupid idea.

LoK would have been so much better if Amon was the villain of Books 1 & 2 and the Red Lotus were the villains of Books 3 & 4.

Why? He's a faceless character who hates the Avatar. If you think spirits are involved why wouldn't he be the first nominee for what was going on?

I remember actually yelling "OH SHIT" when that scene aired. So fucking hype.

I kinda agree with this.

You still need the full moon to bloodbend, unless you're related to Yakone.

There's a million other spirits. People only latched on to Koh because they thought he was cool and amon had a mask. There was literally no reasoning or motivation beyond that.

Not to mention it conflicted with all the shit we already knew about Koh and spirits in the human world.

I dunno, i think people just wanted more Koh since he had a nice design. We don't really know anything about him other than he steals faces and is a pseudo bad guy.

agreed. And if you really really wanted to still rope in the "dark avatar" stuff, it would've been more thematic for the guy taking away bending and saying he was gifted by the spirits to be it.

So can we all agree it would have been better if Amon was the overarching antagonist instead of just being there for one season?

Bara as fuck

I prefered Zaheer and Red lotus, but Amon was better than Unalaq, Vaatu and Kuvira for sure.

Remember when Sup Forums shipped Amon and Lieutenant? Good times...

Should'vs been the final season's boss, Kuvira's definitely cooler than the gruesome foursome but fuck Korra's Uncle arc.

>Sup Forums shipped Amon and Lieutenant

Honestly, I actually liked Amon turning out to be Tarrlok's brother. Despite the lack of proper development, their short scenes together were powerful IMO.

The reveal and ending were just extremely rushed. Their entire backstory was shoved into a 7 minute plot dump. Amon and the Equalists shouldn't have been defeated so quickly and easily, and there should have been way more buildup and development for the brothers.

You don't remember? Or the Bolin/Amon rape stuff

He was a pretty good villain. Should have remained the villain for the whole series run. Him or Zaheer.

Zaheer a terrible

Him AND Zaheer **

You do not speak ill words about Henry Rollins

He's quite a poor voice actor.

BLOW YOU UP! You don't speak ill of the Blessed Patron Saint of Explosions!
youtube.com/watch?v=egsfYdxQRr8
youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM