I don't mind more diversity in comics. I think having more non-white guy heroes can be a good change in pace

I don't mind more diversity in comics. I think having more non-white guy heroes can be a good change in pace.

But I absolutely hate the trend of just replacing older heroes with newer, "diverse" identities. Why not create a new, tech-based hero that's also a black woman? Use an issue of Iron Man as a backdoor pilot for her introduction?

New Luke Cage should be a quadruple amputee, albino 12 y/o girl, that self-identifies as a black man.

>Why not create a new, tech-based hero that's also a black woman? Use an issue of Iron Man as a backdoor pilot for her introduction?
IS that not what they're doing? She's supposed to be like an apprentice or something right? Tony's not dying or anything.

The problem is mostly that they didn't use Rhodey's existing black genius teenage niece for this

Pity they all have the same fucking personality so we're actually having a step back in terms of diversity in story telling.

Because chaining stupid controversy to stupid controversy makes more money than telling interesting stories.

Last halfway decent Iron Man arc I read was Superior Iron Man, and it got shitcanned due to Secret Wars. Before that? ...Fuck, probably Extremis. And before that you have to start reaching for his classic stories like Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars, because he spent forever in B-lister hell.

>Why not create a new, tech-based hero that's also a black woman
Because writers are too incompetent to sell comics based on their skill
They want diversity, but there aren't any good writers left, so they have to introduce new characters based on old ones

But you really shouldn't have a problem with that
There have been tons of heroes who have taken up the mantle of old heroes and had similar powersets, that's been a thing since they introduced a second robin

Yeah cause oh so many people gave a shit about her. Its not like quality would be any different since Bendis is still the writer.

I don't get this due to semantics alone. She's not a man so how can she be Iron Man? Even if she wears the same costume, it'd be like Spider-Woman being called Spider-Man. Do they change the name of the comic? If so, is it because they believe she can't hang on her own? That's sexist...or racist...or possibly both.

The worst part is they already had a black character that would have made for a great replacement Tony should he ever decide to step down as iron man but LOL NOPE LETS RANDOMLY KILL HIM BECAUSE BENDIS WAR.

You have to be 18 to use this website you know.

I'd read it. Goddamn. What a concept.

Is she (he) an Inhuman?

>And then it turns out they're all actually the same person, using a shard of the Cosmic Cube

>Because comic fans are too incompetent to buy comics based on quality
ftfy

When will we find out Beast has just been a man in a fur suit this whole time

Or why not trying to put "diverse" characters (like Misty Knight, or Blade) on the A-List?

Secret identity, man. No one would ever suspect Matt of being daredevil if he put implants in his costume. Pretty genius

Won't an even robotic voice sound female when she speaks?

>Because writers are too incompetent to sell comics based on their skill

Pretty much this. There's a reason pretty much every good comic writer drifted off in to other fields. All that's left now is friends-of-friends and other morons who only manage to not destroy the company because there's essentially a stranglehold on the entire concept of "comic book" in America.

I think it would be great to see what would happen were DC and Marvel to both, for a year, say they will not use any pre-existing character or setting, and that the writers and artists they have will need to make new things by themselves.

I wonder how many writers and artists will just make not-Batman and not-Superman, and how many will make a genuinely good original story.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say that most interesting stories being told in comic format in the west, these days, are webcomics.

why not give the existing black women some fucking focus? Plug the shit out of Storm, Give Misty Knight another book of her own. Let's have a time-travelling Bishop and Shard brother-sister adventure. FUCK.

>>Because comic fans don't actually buy comics so creators are forced to try to find new demographics
ftfy

Brand names user. The only way for minorities to get sales is to piggyback off existing heroes. Milestone tried the original content thing, and failed because whites spoke with their dollars and avoided those comics. A hardware reboot with a black female lead won't sell, but you bet Ironman replaced by one will.

Why should it? Its not like the art of adding bass is hard to master.

>create black character
>give her retarded Afro
>give her a ghetto name that is black slang for retarded
>give her big ghetto hoop earning
>make her 15 and dress like a hooker
>SASSY!!! ATTITUDE!!!!

Way to shatter those stereotypes Marvel!
About the only thing more offensive would take a monkey character and turn them into a black person named MOON something

>I'm not even exaggerating when I say that most interesting stories being told in comic format in the west, these days, are webcomics.
This is so true that Comic publishers, especially the big 2, have started hiring people who make webcomics
Even if they make shitty webcomics, just as long as they are popular

shes dead senpai

>Storm, Bishop ,Shard
mutie embargo

>Misty Knight
"Literally who?"

do you really think a modern day marvel writer could make a new and interesting character?

look at this girls backstory, she's a genius who can build an ironman suit in her classroom dorm. Awesome fantastic, I wonder what her crippling flaw will be?

Doubt it will be alcohol or drug abuse

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a strong, black independent woman if she has to represent herself as male?

>black slang for retarded
fucking where?

somewhat related, Spider-Gwen in her own universe is "Spider Woman."

I'm down with a female Stark suit, Pepper Potts in RESCUE armor is cool, especially since she's shown up as such in the Avengers Academy and Marvel Heroes 2016 video games. I don't want this no-name nigress in a Stark suit. That's it. Not a race thing, not a woman thing, I just don't want a new character pretending to be Iron Man. I'm glad Marvel's sales are tanking at the moment.

Who ever said that was her purpose? Try to be less triggered pham.

The worst part is that this isn't even an issue in itself. It's that it's all so unimaginative on their part.

They didn't look at what's big with the kids and make something new based on that, they just took something from the demographic they want and put it in to their own hole, and it comes across as desperate as it really is.

If they said "Iron Man isn't selling, so we're replacing it with..." and it was a totally new IP with a whole new cast in a whole new world, detached from the old comic, I really wouldn't mind.

I'd actually be pretty interested.

But we know what this is going to be: the same stuff as always, because it always is.

Depends on if you see Iron Man as a male superhero, a suit of armor, or a human shaped weapon
because if it's the last two, why bother
she can just call herself something different if she really wants
she's not presenting as a male just by wearing iron man armor, even if it does look like a male, it's not as if she would add boob and wider hip joints even though it would be purely cosmetic

>look at this guys backstory, he's a genius who can build a webshooters and advanced dissolving elastic in his bedroom

unless her name is pronounced Reye Reye
Ree Ree is "urban" slang for retarded in the Chicago area
like Cray Cray is slang for crazy

It worked for Kamala (who is arguably a better character than Carol).

But hey you know what they say about broken clocks...

Well, Chicago needs to be walled off anyway.

>marvel female character
>marvel BLACK character
>flaw

not on my fucking watch

Because Bendis is writing a character who is an insert for his adopted daughter.

It's very much like Carlie Cooper in Spider-Man, a new "love interest" who was widely assumed to be Joe Quesada's daughter.

I am not triggered, I am just not sure what the point of diversity is if you are going to hide that diversity from the world? Worthwhile discussion to have I think.

The worst part is that they never do it right.

They just put them on to superheroes.

It's like, if Marvel announced that Evan Dahm was going to be writing Spider-Man, I wouldn't give a shit, as much as I love Rice Boy.

thats not peters backstory, his is he gets bit by a a radioactive spider

>I wonder what her crippling flaw will be?

3 kids from 3 different dads?

No superhero is in costume all the time dingus. No reader is looking at spider-man and thinking "I wonder if he's white under there". Who gives a shit?

I've literally never heard that and it's probably not actually used very often
I don't even know where you got that from
Riri is often a nickname for people named Rianna, Rhiannon, Patricia, or any other female name with a "ree" sound in it

Also what made him interesting and lasting was his need to look after his elderly aunt between his superhero-ing.

>Use an issue of Iron Man as a backdoor pilot for her introduction?

Because then when that book fails its not because of readers not caring about diversity, its because new IPs don't sell well.

by making her Iron Man and using that title to tell her story, its guaranteeing some level of sales that a new title won't have.

Kamala is a notable exception (to be fair, you doesn't need much effort to be better than Carol pre-space taskforce commander).

>(who is arguably a better character than Carol
>"Let's make a paki girl have Reed Richard's powers without having to get cosmic ray'd in space, and have Medusa, Carol, Wolverine, Spidey and Captain America all mentor her back-to-fucking back for no reason other than she's our token muslim female"

I bet you enjoy reading fanfiction.net too, you tasteless shiteater.

>No reader is looking at spider-man and thinking "I wonder if he's white under there"
>Who gives a shit?
you're kidding right?
have you not been online in the past 3 years?

>look at this guys backstory, he's a genius who can build a webshooters and advanced dissolving elastic in his bedroom who gets bit by a radioactive spider

>Aunt May is the most interesting part of Spider-man
Come the fuck on.

>3 different dads?
in their own community, their term for it is "baby-daddy."

Well why do YOU give a shit? If you don't then you can stop pretending like you do.

Doesn't the name "Iron Man" imply a male superhero. Since they are already making her the antithesis of Tony they should make her an unabashed arms dealer and call her Irony

>Aunt May is the most interesting part of Spider-man

You missed my point entirely. It was actually quite dramatic how much you missed it. In many years great sonnets will be wrote, and performed to applauding crowds, about how much you missed the point.

Well done, Sir. Well done.

So why not just call her Iron Woman? Or Black Iron or Shaniqua?

>If you don't then you can stop pretending like you do.
I'm not saying I do
I'm saying other people do, because we still have threads like this regularly

Only if you think of Iron Man as a male hero, like I said
If you think of iron man as a suit of armor or a weapon personified, then it's not a problem

Surely hearer of all thing if you have not heard it surely it has never been used

>Ree Ree is "urban" slang for retarded in the Chicago area

fucking Carlos Mencia used to use that.

>If you think of iron man as a suit of armor or a weapon personified, then it's not a problem

"Halo is a pretty cool guy."

If you just mean his personal life then just fucking say that asshole.

I don't know. We're still sorely lacking details on this matter. Maybe Tony was jealous about two or three Spider-men hanging around.

the webshooters are not a big part of peters character, sometimes the don't even exist. Why are you comparing them to ironman whos whole power is based on the suit?

Oh look the Diversity train has arrived

>the ride never ends

>not Iron Shorty wit dah forty

>continuing to ramble on with this poster instead of clarifying your point and moving the conversation forward

you did not win this exchange, you merely ran it into the ground with no survivors.

The thing about Iron Man is that he really doesn't have many good solo stories. it's always the same three or four arcs: Demon in a Bottle, Armor Wars, Extremis, maybe Enter the Mandarin, but that's it. He's always been most prominent when part of a team or event, and ever since Civil War, he's been kind of the designated villain for any hero vs hero conflict.

Because it's not about representing other cultures, or trying to tell new stories.
It's an attack on the so-called establishment by trying to tear down what the majority has accomplished.

And the people who push this crap aren't even so called "PoCs"...they're just white people with massive levels of white guilt.

Ironically, pulling this stunt over and over again implies that minorities aren't good enough to succeed on their own, and the only way for people to know about them is by piggybacking off of established white heroes.

Surely new IPs don't sell well because readers have been conditioned against them for decades by the big 2 offering relatively few new IPs. What creator with half a brain cell would simply give a new character with commercial potential to Marvel or DC just to get next to nothing from it's exploitation in terms of financial benefit or artistic control? The current diversity shitshow is due to the fact that it's not unreasonable to expect the world presented in comics reflects the demographics of the world outside but there are no new (or very few) characters that reflect those demographics. In an ideal world the old characters would be intact and stand should to shoulder on the racks with established characters from the last 20-30 years. These newer characters would be from a variety of backgrounds (male honkies included) and it would have happened organically. The current shambles is as much a creator rights issue as it is a pile of SJW idiocy.

>it's always the same three or four arcs

Comics in a nut shell.

In all those mechanical web shooters vs natural webbing everyone acts like its the most important think ever.
And I'm comparing them cause they're directly comparable situations. Two geniuses who built stuff with crap.

if only one person in this thread, or I guess in this reply chain, has heard of it, it's probably not at all common
just looking it up on urban dictionary, it looks like maybe 200 people have interacted with the entry whereas on an entry that it known to be popular, 100,000 people have interacted with that entry

the fact that Riri is still a name that people use and have should show you how uncommon your definition is

Just using google, "reeree" with the context of "retard" yields about 2500 results
compared to "riri" as a "name", that's nothing

Oh no he di-n't

The only question that matters is "who will actually pay for this comic".

And we all know how popular, influential, and successful he is

"The A-list" refers to how much a character sells, not how prominent they are.

Okay, granted they kind of go hand in hand, but if you published a Misty Knight solo comic, it wouldn't sell nearly as much as, say, Thor. Building a less popular or supporting character up to a higher tier requires time and effort Marvel doesn't want to expend. Then again, you could always put them in a movie nowadays, too, I suppose.

What did she meant by this?

I think that's the point though. They really don't do much to push NEW characters.

New settings as well.

I just just find it annoying that they keep doing "new" things, yet it's the same masks in the same places, doing the same things.

YOU'RE

I don't mind a character change but if I don't like this new ironman and like the old one then I'm labeled a sexist, racist.

Rhodes had already replaced Tomy decades ago for while. Rhodes was Irom Man during the original Secret War. Spent half the time hitting on Monic Rambeau

>inhuman
And subhuman

>Use an issue of Iron Man as a backdoor pilot for her introduction?
That's exactly what this is. They've even said in the interview that she's not going to be Iron Man for long, and is just using the name while she tries to think of something better.

She'll be "Iron Man" for a year (also remember that she's not the only "Iron Man" as Doom is going to be taking up the legacy too), then Tony will come back while she gets her own identity and spins off.

No one would give a shit about her if it wasn't for this legacy bullshit. Have them be a legacy for a year, then if they had a good reception, spin them off with their own identity.

Eric Masterson didn't become Thunderstrike until after he'd been Thor. Rhodey didn't become War Machine until after he'd been Iron Man.

>and is just using the name while she tries to think of something better.

You mean while they try and think of something better?

How else do you think they're going to end Civil War? Tony will be to Riri what Friday is to Tony

You're shit posting but that is an interesting concept.
>teen mom reverse engineers iron man armour to get out of poverty. Has to deal with shitty inner-city drama while being a mother and being tony starks protégé

They could have easily made this Iron Man Beyond, and make it something like Bubblegum Crisis (complete with awesome 80s synth rock), but NOOOOOOOO.

That would be too fun.

seems like the only winning play for comics is to continually nostalgia jerk its readers forever. don't develop, just rehash past arcs over and over. no wonder manga is so much better.

WE

W U Z

A young boy

Because no one wants to take risks anymore. That's a problem with the entertainment industry as a whole, though. Everything has to be safe and familiar or it might not sell and that's bad news for the bottom line.

DANANANANANANANAANANANAAA

Well yes, this is Bendis afterall.

I feel like Sup Forums should be the free space in all bingo cards nowadays considering they seem to be everywhere and try to turn everything into a race/sex/ideology-centered argument.

Because cómic book are run by shitheads and pussbags.

>why not create a new hero
They already do that.

Why are Marvelfags so allergic to legacies?

>cómic
Pot calling the kettle black.

You seem obsessed with this woman, OPenis.