Diamond Comics Sales Charts June 2016

>Marvel reclaimed the #1 position on Diamond Comics Distributors' sales charts in June, with "Civil War II" #1 outselling the rest of the month's offerings.

>In fact, Marvel remained the number one publisher overall, though DC Comics' Rebirth powered the publisher to a larger market share, with seven releases landing in the Direct Market's Top Ten. "Batman" and "Batman: Rebirth" were the second and third best sellers, respectively, while "Dark Knight III," "Dark Knight Returns: the Last Crusade," "Superman: Rebirth" "Wonder Woman" and "Superman" landed in positions 6 - 10.

>"Star Wars: Han Solo" #1 and "Civil War II" #2 were Marvel's remaining Top Ten releases.

>"Saga: Vol. 6" was the best-selling graphic novel for May. "Dark Night: A True Batman Tale," Paul Dini's recounting of his late-90s mugging, illustrated by Eduardo Risso, was #2.

>Overall, Marvel's Direct Market shares rose to 40.08% in dollar shares, and dipped slightly to 44.17% unit shares. DC Comics rose on the back of Rebirth to 29.93% in dollars, and 31.69% in units. Image was once again third, making up 7.88% of the market in dollars, and 7.64% in units.

>Monthly comics sales were up significantly from May, and saw an increase over June 2015.

comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-sales-rise-on-rebirth-marvel-still-tops-overall-in-june-2016-sales

>Civil War II is a flop , they said. Rebirth is killing Marvel , they said

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU
previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=88344
ew.com/article/2015/07/03/image-comics-quiz
comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-may-2016-its-a-rebirth-apocalypse/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Batman #1 cant defeat civil war 2 #1
>mfw

>Civil War II still won the month
>Marvel still won the month
A reaction image won't simply do justice how much I'm laughing right now, but there you go.

For context, remember Green Arrow Rebirth #1 broke 90k, so all those books are probably 100k+

Why on Earth would you be happy about Civil fucking War II doing well? Unless you're a literal shill, which is a very real possibility.

>Green Arrow Rebirth #1 broke 90k
What the fuck

DC books are listed lower than the order numbers btw

>Please note that comics marked with an asterisk (*) have had their reported quantities reduced due to retailer returnability, and thus may rank lower on the charts than their actual sales would reflect.

King is hack, amirite?

youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

All I do is win win win no matter what
Got money on my mind I can never get enough
And every time I step up in the buildin'
Everybody hands go up
And they stay there
And they say yeah
And they stay there
Up down, up down, up down
'Cause all I do is win win win
And if you goin' in put your hands in the air
Make 'em stay there

JUNE 2016 COMIC BOOK SALES REPORT - TOP 10'S

>(BALTIMORE, MD) — (July 8, 2016) — An Inhuman with the power to predict the future brings conflict to the heroes of the Marvel Universe in Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez's Civil War II from Marvel Comics, the best-selling comic book of June 2016 according to information provided by Diamond Comic Distributors, the world's largest distributor of comics, graphic novels, and pop culture merchandise.

>Their sales powered by Civil War II, Marvel Comics was June's top publisher with a 40.08% dollar share and a 44.17% unit share. With strong Rebirth sales, DC Entertainment was the month's number two publisher with a 29.93% dollar share and a 31.69% unit share. At number three was Image Comics with a 7.88% dollar share and a 7.64% unit share. IDW Publishing was fourth with a 5.22% dollar share and a 4.15% unit share, followed by Dark Horse Comics with a 2.81% dollar share and 1.76% units share.

>Among the premier publishers, Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead #31 was Image Comics' top book for June at #31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1, the first part of a new mini-series, was IDW Publishing's top book at #119. Finally, Hellboy in Hell #10, the final chapter of Mike Mignola's Hellboy saga, ranked #140 as Dark Horse Comics' top-selling comic book.

>Please note that comics marked with an asterisk (*) have had their reported quantities reduced due to retailer returnability, and thus may rank lower on the charts than their actual sales would reflect.

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
> 1. CIVIL WAR II #1 (MAR)
> 2. BATMAN #1 [*] (DC)
> 3. BATMAN REBIRTH #1 [*] (DC)
> 4. STAR WARS: HAN SOLO #1 (MAR)
> 5. CIVIL WAR II #2 (MAR)
> 6. DARK KNIGHT III: the MASTER RACE #5 (DC)
> 7. DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE LAST CRUSADE #1 (DC)
> 8. SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1 [*] (DC)
> 9. WONDER WOMAN #1 [*] (DC)
> 10. SUPERMAN #1 [*] (DC)

TOP 10 GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS
> 1. SAGA VOLUME 6 TP (MR) (IMA)
> 2. DARK NIGHT: A TRUE BATMAN STORY HC (MR) (DC)
> 3. SEX CRIMINALS VOL. 3: THREE THE HARD WAY TP (MR) (IMA)
> 4. DC SUPER HERO GIRLS VOL. 1: FINALS CRISIS TP (DC)
> 5. COLOR YOUR OWN YOUNG MARVEL BY SKOTTIE YOUNG TP (MAR)
> 6. BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE SPECIAL EDITION HC (DC)
> 7. PREACHER BOOK 1 TP (MR) (DC)
> 8. OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA VOL. 3: LITTLE LIGHT (MR) (IMA)
> 9. HARLEY QUINN VOL. 3: KISS KISS BANG STAB TP (DC)
> 10. NEIL GAIMAN'S HOW TO TALK TO GIRLS AT PARTIES HC (DAR)

Original sauce fag: previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=88344

>Marvel reclaimed the #1 position on Diamond Comics Distributors' sales charts in June, with "Civil War II" #1 outselling the rest of the month's offerings.
>In fact, Marvel remained the number one publisher overall, though DC Comics' Rebirth powered the publisher to a larger market share

DC IS OVER
PACK IT UP Sup Forums WE LOST

This doesn't include the second, third, fourth, etc reprintings everything Rebirth is getting. Interesting in that context to see how retailers might have underestimated demand. I think those numbers get added to the end of year sales though.

CW2 #1 winning was kind of gimmie with the variants and it being a big Marvel event. Secret Wars #1 broke 500k and CW2 wasn't going to be too much lower (I've seen people blame this on MUH HICKMAN but no, that's just how any big Marvel event will likely sell). Comparatively New 52 batman #1 did less than 200k, Rebirth Batman #1 wasn't going to double that in initial orders which is probably what it needed to beat CW2.

Welp, fuck this industry. I'm going back to my anime

>diamond sales=actual purchases
It wasn't till after stores had already bought their copies that they realised no one gave a shit.

Its more like "Something that shitty is #1 and its making me laugh"

Why is that blonde guy wearing lipstick?

Don't except the reprinting to be some huge game changing numbers, user.
Reprints are often less than 20k, but for something as big as this, 30k-35k is pretty doable.

Sup Forums absolutely BLOWN THE GODDAMN F**K OUT!!!

DC pulled in 30% market share on the back of like 18 books. I think things are going to be fine guys.

That they keep doing the reprints is the interesting thing to me. This kind of continued demand so far out seems unusual. I almost expect the main one-shot's reprint to show up in the top 300 this month.

HAHHAHA FUCK YEAH DKEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH

HOW FUCKING EMBARRASSING.

EVEN AFTER ALL THIS SHITPOSTING THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THESE PAST FEW WEEKS THEY STILL LOST.

HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER NOW?

>greentext

In other words:
>le physical sales estimates are how many comic book readers bought those comics meme
Xavier Lancel fell for it.

DC published about a 1/3rd of the amount of titles that Marvel did in June.

I hope this information guides you in the future.

How it feels to have only 2 books in the top ten you brain dead drone, with DC pubblishing only half the number of titles that Marvel had ?

Also don't forget this important part

I'll wait till Comichron releases the numbers to see how different everything was. I'm interested to see how Green Arrow continued to do after the Rebirth issue.

>back to my anime
And nothing of value was lost.

Hopefully it'll at least do better than it did under Lemire.

Remember that Rebirth *literally just started* in June. Only 19 Rebirth comics (9x2 bi-weeklies, and 1 monthly) were released in June. While that is still an average number for the start of relaunches, it will increase for July and August, leading to greater DC market share (while CW2's cold reception will lead to lower Marvel market share).

Because, again, we knew that CW2 #1 would sell hugely -- to RETAILERS. (I mean, of course it would...) But it did not and has not sold comparatively well with readers.

Also, Marvel sold a *lot* more series in June than DC did. That is, looking at the PreviewsWorld chart, Marvel has about 40 more series than DC to inflate their share (you can see this phenomenon with IDW shares vs Dark Horse vs Boom, where IDW has less sales per series but sells more series than either, getting an inflated share).

The key takeaways from this month should be:
1) DC/Vertigo has such a strong hold in the market selling 40 less books than Marvel.
2) A strong month in general for the top 10: everything might possibly be above 110k issues sold.
3) Sales were up hugely from last month and even last June.

I'm interested in seeing if we can estimate this decrease. I've seen the returnability decrease mentioned before over the years but I never saw a percentage on it. If GA Rebirth is lower than 90k then it helps.

I'm guessing it's probably not more than 20% though, I'm just a loser who like data.

>Vertigo

Lmao

Rebirth books are actually selling, hence the multiple printings for each title.

Olicity shippers buying the book in the hopes of seeing their idol

Yes, yes. Excuses, excuses. You still lost, faggots.

>Vertigo
>having a strong hold on anything anymore

they'd probably save more money by dumping all of it desu

no Damian - no buy :)

>> 8. SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1 [*] (DC)
good :)

It's like people can't understand what I'm always saying in these threads: Marvel has always been inherently more popular than DC. There are a lot of reasons, but casuals like Marvel much more.

>You still lost, faggots

But I read from both, you're allowed to do that

I really wish I could get into your headspace for a moment where you think that flooding the market with over 100 titles that aren't selling and winning the market with sales goosing tactics and an overblown event that's lingering on shelves while only holding a marginal lead over your competitive who published like 19 titles in their main line is somehow good and/or impressive.

>you're allowed to do that
What? Really!?
Why hasn't anybody told me that?

I just fucking hope Superman #1 sold worse than Morrison's Action Comics debut or at least the drop off from issue #1 to #2 is higher so I can shove that in not muh Superfags.

You can eat meat and get married too, just so you know.

How's your black girl Iron Man series going?

A true patrician until the end, indeed.

This is not necessary. You already have pre-Flashpoint sales to prove that people didn't like that Superman any more than new 52 besides when his books were good.

I'm not buying either of those two main Superbooks until they put good writers on them. The side books seem interesting though.

Nice backtracking, m8.

Literally event and Star Wars saving Marvel and they're flooding the market with 80+ books and a lot of them are under 20k. Kill yourself.

It's like people on this board can't simply understand that Marvel has always been inherently more popular than DC. That has always been the case. But Sup Forums is delusional and contrarian.

>b-but dc has got less titles

Damn good point. DC is definitely focusing on publishing only "quality" titles and are totally not the victims of being downsized by big daddy WB.

>star wars
Oh, this again

Hasn't been released yet, but Bad so far, it has Bendis' name on it.

New Super-Man is going to be comfy and fun. My most anticipated title of the month.

You're right, user forgot the deluge of unsustainable #1s.

yes, months ago when marvel had more #1s than they do now. the red are #1s and even without them marvel is just selling more because that's how bad dc's doing and how well shit marvel books do.

Even Mockingbird sells more than Flash and Wonder Woman. This is hilarious.

>>Marvel makes their laziest event ever.
>>Still number one.

I don't know how much longer I can do this

Yeah I'm actually convinced it won't sell that great (probably hits 20k by #5, if not sooner), but at least it has the editorial support to last a while.

I love that he's an asshole.

very strange when marvel's shit a list books still sell well but dc's shit a list books like wonder woman and flash start dropping in sales

lmao it's so funny seeing all this backtracking when just HOURS ago assholes on Sup Forums were so convinced DC was going to overtake Marvel this month.

It's a #1 user, it dropped over half of it's ready by the next issue. It's near the cancellation death zone now.

>a #1 with 7-8 variants sells more than a shit book on issue 50
How did #2 did user.

It's almost like this place isn't a hivemind you retard.

See I don't mind the company war shitposting like but when it's posts like this that just show off your ass by proving you don't understand how to look at comic sales it's just tiresome. Why even post here?

This is what people don't seem to understand with Marvel. They keep going back to the relaunch well and the diminishing returns become more and more apparent. Marvel NOW is going to be the breaking point.

Shit. I guess this means more Bendis and terrible overpriced events that derail even the few good comics they're publishing. Why, Marvel fans.

That ain't gonna happen ever. Marvel would constantly relaunch and have events and artificially control market share.

ew.com/article/2015/07/03/image-comics-quiz
>“If we keep on our current trajectory, we’ll overtake DC in less than five years,” predicts Kirkman, who has been a partner in the company since 2008. “Then it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to toppling Marvel.”
>Image now sub-8% in unit and market.
BIG THREE
I
G

T
H
R
E
E

#2 and #3 have inflated sales as well.

People are characterfags and have brand loyalty. Marvel characters are inherently more popular than DC's because of a perceived preconception that they're more "flawed", "human" and "relatable". Besides they're inherently cooler for casuals, while DC's are more classic and seem like your grandpa's superheroes.

That and the fact that Marvel have always done a better job at marketing their characters. Look at the animated series in the 90s. Marvel had Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Silver Surfer. DC had only Batman and Superman.

Besides they were already surpassing DC since the 60s/70s just because the quality of stories were superior and much more people grew up reading Marvel and passed it down the tradition to their siblings or children.

>comparing the end of a line-up to the beginning of one
wew, that's some mental damage right there

>#1's

Hey, if you didn't leave a comment spouting bullshit about how Marvel was gonna go under because of Rebirth then my comment does not concern you, sperglord.

>9/43 isn't marvel
11/43 isn't marvel
10/38 isn't marvel

Jesus, Rebirth was needed so badly.

Look away, from the red boxes to see the non #1s, user.

Hey, I'm more of a DCfag, but I'm just pointing at the truth, man. Casuals like Marvel more, there's just no other way around it.

Weren't they 10% when Walking Dead and Invincible were at their peaks? They are getting more big name writers though.

Go look at the shit sales for 12 months then user

comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-may-2016-its-a-rebirth-apocalypse/

I made that thread. You can go back and reread that thread I made, because my argument is that DC could possibly overtake Marvel after the NOW relaunch based on the fact that retailers are in a prime position to under order multiple NOW! titles in much the same way they did with DCYou.

Not once did I make the argument that they would "win" the month, when they only put out 19 real books this month. The rest of the titles they put out were last issues to multiple books that weren't selling (Black Canary, Son of Batman, Black Canary). These Rebirth books sold phenomenally by all accounts, but only a retard would argue that they could outsell the utter deluge of titles that Marvel puts out and an event sequel to a hot movie with about a billion variants to order.

>implying DC has not also gained sales by releasing #1 issues and events.

But it's okay when DC does it, amirite?

Okay? We're not talking about that. May as well pull up sales from the 90s, just as relevant.

Who exactly is arguing that DCYou didn't sell poorly?

DC BTFO

KEK

CRASHING THIS INDUSTRY. WITH NO SURVIVORS.

It literally looked like nobody gave a shit about CW2. Every online forum has fans complaining how shit the event is, retailers complaining it's not really selling. It's either casuals buying or the sales are artificial.

The point of the sales is to see how badly DC was doing. That's why they weren't charting.
If they had more books selling 40k like A list books are supposed to, then they'd push more marvel books down.

But they didn't.
Because they were selling like ass.
For months.

>the sales are artificial.

ding ding ding ding

Uh tons of people have been yelling about #1s and Star WArs being the reason why Marvel sells more than DC, when no, it's because DC is selling so poorly.

You need to go more casual
It's on facebook that you will find people praising it

But it has nothing to do with casuals. Mockingbird is just flat out not a healthier title than WW or Flash by any measure.

No one is arguing that DC wasn't doing poorly before. We're arguing that Marvel is also doing poorly and is practicing unsustainable business tactics that currently have them seated as #1.

Mockingbird #1 launching at 40k is fucking HIDEOUS, how can you not see this? International Iron Man #1 only had 70k sales? One of their biggest characters by ostensibly their biggest writer? This is a fucking disaster dude.

Have we started the fire?

But Deadpool and the fuckton of X-Men titles are.

I think people know that Image basically doesn't work unless you're already famous, a few flukes aside

Yeah but I was replying to the Mockingbird post not anything about Deadpool or X-Men.

Yes, brother :^)

The New 52 1 x 0 Rebirth

I hope DCcucks have learned a valuable lesson today.

Don't count your chickens before they have hatched.

HOLY SHIT.

IT'S LITERALLY BATMAN V SUPERMAN ALL OVER AGAIN.

You know, the move that was suppose to beat Civil War and Star Wars at the box office this year?

DC CAN JUST NEVER WIN. EVER.