Sonic Mega Drive #1

I'm sure this already had a thread, but I barely come here.

Ian wrote it, from what I understand, so I'm sure it's mediocre as fuck.

Tyson Hesse's art is pretty good, but he's also a massive tool, so with those two factors I'm fine with passing on it.

So?

Thanks for the blog post, user.

It was one of the best comics I have read all year, you can fuck right off.

Jon Gray, is that you?

Were you planning on posting it, or what?

>but I barely come here
Yeah, we can tell by how pointless your thread is.

I guess not?

Already storytimed

Fuck off faggot just look at the archives

Never hurts to post it again, for those that might've missed it.

This thread exists already. Might as well use it for something.
Also, that was a storytime of scans, not digital rips.

>HEEEEEEEY, SONIC
>I kidnapped ALL your friends
>And turned 'em into robuts

ooouch

He's storytiming the digital version.

>but I barely come here.
Like we care
>so I'm sure it's mediocre as fuck.
It feels like reading the OVA.
>but he's also a massive tool
This is bait.
>so with those two factors I'm fine with passing on it.
And why do we care what you think?

>JOO TAKE MAH EMMROWDS?

Please. If Ian were an actual decent writer he wouldn't be stuck writing Sonic the fuckin' Hedgehog.

And that's it.
Personally, I thought it was cute and funny enough to be enjoyable, doing its job at pleasing the classic Sonic fan in me, but eh.

I'll be more satisfied when it inspires a fan game adaptation.

at least you tried

He writes for Sonic because he loves the series and he enjoys his job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

He's better than the previous writers, that's for sure.

>but he's also a massive tool
What does that even mean

I don't know

I laugh, but I feel it's relying too much on memes.

Oh yeah, THAT'S a high hurdle to jump.

But a hurdle, nevertheless. Either way, I feel Ian's a fine writer. Not a fan of the reboot world, yet, but I enjoyed what he contributed to the comic before it.

He doesn't know a thing about Ty

Is Shadow going to show up?

>Based on the genesis games
>"Is Shadow going to show up?"

He's going to be in the next Universe arc.

Ty's a pedantic jackass, right alongside the rest of the webcomic brigade.

[citation needed]

[His entire goddamn twitter]

He seems like a pretty cool bro to me

He ain't Jon 'I'm actually believing conspiracy theories as long as they're race-based' Gray, but he's up there.

Man Sonic comics always looked like a ton of fun but I never could figure out where the fuck to get in. I got the Sonic comics on humble but they're so broken up I have no idea where to start. Is there a guide to this shit?

Doesn't seem like a reason not to buy his work though.

It could have been something more like Mickey craziest adventures.

Nope. Much like Superhero comics, it's a goddamn mess. Especially after they lost half the supporting cast from Ken Penders & Karl Bollers wanting a bigger cut.

Just stick with Mega Drive. Clean reboot, no headache.

Damn. Wanted to start trying to get into it. Oh well, maybe I'll go on a binge and try to find 'em somewhere and just get lost forever.

The suggested routes for reading I've seen have been starting at 1, 160, or 252.

Starting at 1, you obviously get the whole shebang good and bad. A guide posted a lot awhile back suggested skipping to 160 around issue 50/when you start to dislike it and using a wiki to help when you don't know something (a lot of bullshit gets written off, but the writer does like continuity, so you will miss some things).

The book rebooted at 252 erasing majority of the comic only cast with only the cartoon casts and a couple exceptions surviving and is now in worldbuilding mode, which truthfully, has been really boring lately, but it's the easiest to get into.

There's a reading guide that lists all the comics in the order you are supposed to read them, but I don't have it on me. It's been posted in past threads, though or you could ask /sthg/ if no one here has it.

Nice, thanks for the tips. Forgot there was a /sthg/, I'll get more there. Thanks a lot user

I like this guy's art too fucking much.

He also follows JAV actresses. Based.

If you don't care about anything pre-universal reboot, start from issue 252. It' gets a little boring at times but there's some great arcs like Champions, and it shouldn't be too bad if you're binging.
You should probably read it parallel with the consistently-good Sonic Universe, though I can't remember where the reboot point of that is. Best arcs: Spark of Life and Eggman's Dozen.
Oh, and SKIP WORLDS UNITE. It's really, really not worth it.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks user.

>that Knux face

Glorious

KKM is that you?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Jon Gray is a massive tool.

This is the kind of tone and humor Sonic should always have.

I knew he was gone when he actually, genuinely unironically posted *Making the Marge Noise* over the recent Zelda bullshit, and now he's gone full on liberal conspiracy theorist.

Can't even buy the Disney comics he translates. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This reboot comic is boring.

Good art doesn't excuse boring

>Ian wrote it, from what I understand, so I'm sure it's mediocre as fuck.

>Tyson Hesse's art is pretty good, but he's also a massive tool, so with those two factors I'm fine with passing on it.

Huh, the nofunallowed.jpg came to life.

This has nothing to do with any kind of reboot.

Absolutely. What makes it even worse is I really thought the guy was awesome and looked up to him way way back in the day.
I was in middle schooler on Sonic HQ's forums, and he just got a job on the book and I thought it was the coolest shit. He seemed really nice and level headed.
But like you said, he's nothing but a whiny little conspiracy theorist now.

>You should probably read it parallel with the consistently-good Sonic Universe, though I can't remember where the reboot point of that is. Best arcs: Spark of Life and Eggman's Dozen.
55. Universe 55 is where to start
Bollers had nothing to do with the reboot. He didn't even know his characters were gone until a couple years after the fact

(Different user btw) I think Ian is an improvement from the other writers but he still isn't what he's praised to be. What bugs me the most is how he writes Sonic himself - he's a bit too dickish sometimes.There's something a little cruel in the tone of his one-liners and while Sonic can be mischevious I feel he wouldn't bother to go as far as Ian writes him.

He also always makes at least one jab at Amy every single time she appears, through Sonic. We get it Ian, you hate her or something.

Never said you couldn't read it! Have fun! Enjoy the hell out of it!

>He also always makes at least one jab at Amy every single time she appears, through Sonic. We get it Ian, you hate her or something.
Which is why he's giving her and Knuckles an arc, why she was one of the only people able to 1v1 the Iron King, and is overall even more competent than Game Amy.

Someone storytimed it earlier.

It was actually pretty good so I'm not sure where you get off talking shit about the people who made it.

Because Ian's a mediocre writer? I'm going by experience here.

I guess he may have changed somewhat, I stopped reading seriously a little into the Iron Dominion arc. He's still got Sonic snidely remarking that he's bringing her along to keep her from getting kidnapped in this one, though. Did they change editors?

Probably just Diaz getting passed off his "art" was not good enough for comics because he's slow as fuck and has to insert his fantasy girlfriend everywhere.

>Did they change editors?
Yeah, they've changed them twice since Iron Dominion (I think because I'm not sure when Kaminski started editing). Most recent one is Lovallo, who's decent, but he made the boneheaded decision of cutting the main book in half so both the main story and backup have 10 pages each. Still better than Kaminski though, but not like that's hard

Also keep in mind that this story takes place right after CD (Because it turns out that officially, CD comes after 3&K.Somehow) so she hasn't proven herself yet

>archie comics
>officially

That's a Sega thing, not Archie.

Sega has never given an official placement of Sonic CD.

I was just wondering how much influence they would've had on Ian's writing if he started to be more positive in handling Amy all of a sudden. I'm not even a huge fan of her or anything, but it got pretty annoying and hard to ignore. Like how he'd write Sonic and Shadow calling each other nothing but "faker" and making sure they slipped in a belittling remark to one another at least once a page, even when the latter wasn't an antagonist anymore.

Like I said, the way he writes Sonic just feels off.

Honestly Ian's been overall a lot better about characterization in the reboot, and I think that has little to do with the editor (In fact you could argue the book's survived despite some very questionable editorial decisions post reboot)

But yeah, pre-reboot I agree Sonic got a bit too nasty

Hah, he do that kind of shit regularly?

Sonic 3 takes place right after Sonic 2 with the game beginning with Sonic having all the emeralds from Sonic 2 and Eggman still using the Death Egg. Slapping CD inbetween them wouldn't make sense.

You could also consider the robot Sonics in Sonic 2 and 3 to be prototypes for what becomes Metal Sonic which would make placing CD after Sonic 3 feel more natural.

It's not a mandate or an official word. It's just fucking logic because no other option makes sense.

>He also always makes at least one jab at Amy every single time she appears, through Sonic

Ian is Boco?

The Mecha Sonic in Sonic & Knuckles was miles ahead of Metal Sonic.
Mecha turned into a giant buzzsaw of death, was speedy, and could go super.
All Metal did in Sonic CD was move almost as fast as Sonic and then got killed by a wall.

Amy has actually been consistently one of the best characters of the reboot, funny enough.