British TV License 2: Return of the Snooper vans

>BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/bbc-to-deploy-detection-vans-to-snoop-on-internet-users/

Uh oh guys, 1982 is calling.

TV license would not be accepted in any other country.
people would riot.

No. It's terrible and stupid but don't try to meme it as a solely British thing like you're some kind of American.

australia is pretty bad, but in england you are harassed for owning a TV connected to a gaming system even if you dont watch TV.

Test

Literally defeated by a door

TV licensing fags are a joke

I ain't ever paid a tv license lived in my home for 8 years and brought numerous TV's over the years. Had one guy knock on my door and I just said no and closed it, that was it.

If someone turns up to your door, you just don't let them in. Story over.

Not mandatory here you just have to lie and say you don't have one.

Make sure newly bought tv is registered in someone's name who pays it already to avoid hassle of lying again.

This doesn't seem feasible - for this to work they'd have to snoop purely on unprotected WiFi or Crack wpa2 very effectively which would break the computer misuse act.
I think this is another load of bollocks - the current vans they have don't work well and theres fewer than 20 in the country. If you don't believe me the company that makes the vans posts the technical ability and sales online for anyone who wants to buy one to see.

>1982

Why don't you just get together and beat the shit out of them?
There's no punishment for crime in the UK and if they're too scared to do their jobs they'll just resign.

OK reread the article and first and foremost this still doesn't really work - the packet sniffing technique would just show video packets indistinguishable from any other video service such as Netflix or YouTube. Secondly it doesn't determine as to whom on the network is gaining access thus breaking the law. Thirdly it can not deal with ether net. And finally it can't deal with osbcuration techniques.

>the current vans they have don't work well

I thought it was just a regular van with 'TV Licensing' slapped on the side as a scare tactic?

>but in england you are harassed for owning a TV connected to a gaming system even if you dont watch TV.

Don't believe all you read on Sup Forums - you don't need a TV licence for that.

Irelandbrah here. At least we don't have mandatory voting.

Jk, if you're not receiving a "live broadcast" you don't pay shit. I use Netflix, online catch-up services and downloaded boxsets as well as gaming.

Bloke showed up ages ago asking for a TV licence, told him "I do not receive a live broadcast in my private domicile, please carry out whatever tests and leave forever".

pic related these guys do have some tech but they big it up. Here they manage to make google maps sound like some scary fine handing out monster.
Here's an exctract from a site "If TVL/BBC technology is secret, what role can it play in the legal enforcement process?

The answer is none. Courts cannot convict without evidence, and evidence cannot be heard unless it is available to both prosecution and defence. Since TVL/BBC is unwilling to divulge the inner workings of a detector van, its evidence cannot be used in a prosecution.

Compare the lack of public knowledge on detector vans to speed cameras. Speed cameras are subject to scrutiny. Here is a scan from the BBC's website which does just that: "
(1) Between 2003 and 2009, there were six working detector vans. Each of these was deployed several times a year. This low number of vans and deployments accounts for the BBC's view that release of this information would end their deterrent effect.

(2) In 2009, the BBC commissioned five more working vans. Thus, as of 2009, there are eleven vans. This does not preclude the possibility that the new fleet is replacing ("enhancing" in the contract award) the previous one, in which case there will fewer than eleven working vans.

(3) In addition, there are dummy or publicity vans that appear in supermarket car parks and other public places. Since the working vans are used so infrequently, it is likely that they spend most of their time in this capacity. At least two vans seen performing this role (see Detect the Detector vans, LT03TYV and Y254CGO) are of the type in the above dB Broadcast photograph.

So yeah they don't work, the evidence isn't permissible in court if you fight it and there's very few in the country. It's all bollocks really and Tv licensing are idiots. Revoke rights of access to your property and you're fine.

the BBC could set a packet size for iPlayer to use that would be uniquely identifiable

BUT

you can use a wired connection
you can use a VPN which would alter the packet sizes

>mfw learn about TV licenses

Correlation =/= causation in a court of law. Innocent until proven guilty. They'd have to do some real messing around to set iplayer up in a manner that it was distinguishable from every single web player ever. I.e cycling through various packet sizes in a set order. and yeah as said obfuscation techniques do entirely break this - a vpn won't but say protocol controls and ensuring your router broadcasts at a set packet rate for iplayer or a modified packet rate would entirely impede or break this technique.

Hah. Tell you guys what, in germany, you only need to have a radio, and you have to pay the whole "state owned media" shit. Now try to find a car without one.

Oh, obviously, internet too, is a no-go. Because then you could look at the state-channels. As if anyone under 40 looks at more than the propaganda-news. Oh boy.