Was Postmodernism in film a mistake?

Was Postmodernism in film a mistake?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's obviously been ascended to a higher form of consciousness

That was pretty straightforward. A better example for your case would have been the spiders in Enemy.

Absolutely
It's introduced this absolutely atrocious MO of movie characters never ever taking the events on screen seriously, often mocking the absurdity of whole. It's beyond being ironic, it's sarcastic filmmaking. When a character all but turns to the screen smirking and raising their hands saying "Gee, audience, can ya believe it? Men in tights fighting? Scifi? Ridiculous!"

It's trash. It disavows the filmmaker from making the audience care about what's happening on screen because NO ONE, not even the characters in the story, give a shit about what's happening.

But the most destructive force in film right now isn't just the style of writing, but the directors themselves. We've gone from people who have actually been educated on film, who developed a style or at least an interesting visual approach and replaced them with corporate yes-men TV directors who've spent their lives on television shooting faces and nothing but contrived plots. They don't know how to make a movie outside of bare sub-adequacy. They have NO style whatsoever and they're becoming the norm. Filmmaking needs someone with visual flair to come out and make huge profit for that to reverse itself, but these hacks are all but printing money right now with monster and comic book movies.

Why is this board like 90% bait at this point?

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4

Wow sure is summer in hear

Cringe

I don't even know what post modernism is but I did like 2001

you should give examples

not trying to be a dick

What does 2001 have to do with postmodernism?

new sincerity is code for cornball reconstruction

film never reached postmodernism. it regressed far too much from the 80s until now to do that

Deadpool is probably the most obvious example. But most superhero movies take this piss out of themselves to a degree where you can no longer take it seriously. When every dramatic or serious moment in the story is punctuated by a quick joke to deflate the tension. It's been a feature in many blockbusters for some time. The 80s blockbusters are probably the beginnings of it as a mainstream effect in film.

A lot of audiences have seemingly become conditioned to consume it without critique, and react with derision when something isn't ironic or irreverent. The opening hour of Hacksaw Ridge for example, has been called cheesy, corny or contrived by a lot of detractors, because it is done sincerely and without irony.

Aside from the deviations from comic book expectations, a lot of the criticism aimed at Snyder's superhero movies is that they're "too dark" or "brooding" when in reality it's because the story and characters are taking the events seriously and not interrupting every scene with a number of jokes. Love them or hate them, they are sincere/serious.

Film didn't reach it, but movies did.

I don't think you know what post modernism is if you think 2001 was a postmodernist film.

If anything its reconstructionist.

>watches a Jordan Peterson lecture once

Everything humans have done is a mistake.

>because it is done sincerely and without irony.
No, it's because it's badly written and cliched, it's like a parody of other war films regardless of sincerity.

It doesn't. Star Wars is post-modern.

How is it badly written?

And regarding cliche, is that really a valid criticism at this point in time? Every avenue of the good-hearted honest country boy going through basic has been done to hell and back, so perhaps everything will seem cliche. Heck most movies are always using an archetype or cliche, but it seems that it's okay when it's done in an ironic method instead of in a war movie like Hacksaw.

It wasn't a mistake, but it has run its course. New Sincerity was the appropriate next phase. If you stay in a deconstruction phase forever you defeat the point of doing it in the first place.

>Was Judaism in film a mistake?
Synonymous question.

Were jews behind Evangelion?

I thought they were called "brooding" because they featured two actors growling at eachother about either bleeding or dying in various state of literality. But I guess I was wrong, it must've been because they're serious even though nobody said the same about Knightfall, Killing Joke, and Death of Superman.

Yes? It's clearly borrowing from Jewish mythology

damn

You know why normalfags picked up irony? Why I think it's worked so well for so long? It's because it isn't until they try being sincere that you realize just how fucking dumb they are. It may be a cheap short-sighted substitute for intellectual progress, but fuck if it doesn't give a little more peace of mind when you can naively assume that people actually understand the layers of significance behind something being made fun of. I was poisoned by this site in particular that behind the most bitter and biting of critical funposting, there was an understanding of the elements that make that joke both funny and representative of a valid criticisms of complex issues.
But like a worldwide Poe's law, it turns out most normalfags have the analytical skills of a grade schooler, and if the examples in the videos are any indication of "sincerity", I think many people under the illusion that irony was a step forward in the analytical thinking of the masses are in for a rude and crushing revelation about said masses.

Absofucking-lutely. When both Christopher Hitchens and Noam Chomsky declare that all Postmodernists are a cult of poseurs and intellectual bullies, it's pretty elf-evident.

That's not postmodernism. Read a fucking book, illiterate nigger.

You do know postmodernism is not the same as irony, right? Why don't you pick up a book instead of getting your info from youtube videos and Sup Forums. At the very least browse /lit/, before you post uneducated opinions.

Yes, but that isn't post modernist.