Rotten to the Common Core

Sci is actively defending this because
>intuitive
>muh different logic patterns
How the hell is common core supposed to prepare kids for college if we waste extra time on all these methods the filter of time got rid of for us?

Actual mathematician here.

When I first heard about common core, I was very excited. They claimed they wanted to teach more reasoning and process than calculation, which is what math really is. But basically everything I've seen of it is just replacing old calculation processes with novelty/speed versions.

So yet another generation will be brought up believing that mathematicians are just human calculators or accountants or whatever dumbfuck nonsense normies believe.

Because common core just teaches the process that most people eventually come up with to do basic mathematics in their head. It's not meant to be a replacement for higher-level mathematics.

As a mathematician, what job do you currently have?

The example in your pic is the way most people think when they do mental math. I've been a cashier for over 10 years and I've been doing it that way long before Common Core even existed.

I think it's beneficial, tbqh

Programmer. It's pretty much that, NSA, or teach, and teaching doesn't pay well. As for NSA, well, I post on Sup Forums, so...

Any student worth teaching would come up with their own math tricks.

youre both retarded, im sorry to have to be the one to diagnose you

The NSA already knows cryptography and math is pointless. They can read RAM from any commercial and military device so breaking keys doesn't matter. And when the Jews control all technology production making a device they CAN'T read remotely is impossible.

Face it your civilization is over and Common Core is the body twitching at the morgue.

Here is what I do in my head

38 + 2 = 40

385 - 40 = 285

285 + 2 = 287

I couldn't say what exactly was different about primary education when I was in school, but when I saw this problem I got 300-13=287 before I could even think about it. The method presented seems completely backwards and overly complicated to me. "different logic patterns" or not, it has an order of magnitude more steps to reach a solution.

if you cant fire off 325-38 instantly in your head then just remove yourself from the genepool

I don't know if it's the way most people do it, but it's retarded either way.

How it should be done:

38 - 25 = 13
300 - 13 = 287

It takes a maximum of two easy steps.

I don't see how this is ANY more logical or quick or intuitive than doing the simple old method of just regrouping

that 385 should be 325 my bad

i just broke up the numbers in my head to do it mentally.

325-38

320-30=290

5-8=-3

290+-3=287

That's annoying as fuck

why not just:

325 - 30 = 295

295 - 8 = 287

That's how I do it, except in my head. Common Core is basically meant to slow down the classes so that the dumber kids don't get left behind and can learn the things that over the years kids have been teaching themselves.

My niggas.

What is Common Core?

What the actual shit.
38-25=13

300-13=287.

I mean. Like. Even if it's not all that sensible. That's two really simple lines vs. the 5 that common core makes you do. Are kids today actually learning this? Could you imagine bringing this kind of math to Calc or multi variable stats? Some of that shit can take forever as is.

Well everyone has a smartphone so I'm pretty sure you already have everyone by the balls

It's a job though and you're just doing what works for you . Congrats

I think we have a case of nested typos. All meaning is now lost.

It is trying to force niggers to do mental math. It doesn't work. Also, there are so many different ways to do that example in your head and it was always left alone because once the individual conceptualizes the solution on their own, patterns form and you get the desired speed and accuracy.

Why can't we just accept that you can't teach anything to a nigger with a 75 IQ?

Out of curiosity.
Who here can calculate a tip on a bill without their phone? 10%, 15%,20%, Whatever you tip.

>Inb4 0% because reasons.

New jew instated standards for teaching.

Literally move the decimal point.

$35.85 bill. 10% = $3.585

20% is twice that, so around $7

15% is in the middle of the two so around 5.40

How i did it.

This is what I do.

I usually do the calculation for 20%, then round down.

>believing that mathematicians are just human calculators or accountants or whatever dumbfuck nonsense normies believe.
Yeah, human calculator is about right. But hella smart well paid ones at that.

Y'all don't do too bad, do you?
>You might be nerdy, but you got the car and the girl.

You would be surprised how many people are amazed I can do that in my head. I wonder how many of my friends are retarded on a daily basis

>I don't understand the method, but /sci does
>It's bad

>not just using a calculator
Like rubbing sticks together when you have a lighter in your pocket.

Here's what the glorious Finnish education system (best of the world if you don't remember :D :D :D) taught me to do in 3rd grade. I'm horrible in math so it took some hours to understand it but after that I haven't had any problems at least to subtract numbers. Strange to think that there are other algorithms used or even contemplated.

Yeah. IT doesn't seem that hard, right? But people look at me like I'm some kind of savant which I move a decimal and double it. Like. What the hell happened? did people get that reliant on tip calculators?

325 - 38

38 - 25 = 13

300 - 13

I never thought of doing it that way.
>That's a lifehack

the only reason sci loves it is because it leads to centralization, they love central government control.

why not method of complements?

> x - y = x + (999... - y) + 1 - 100...

> 325 - 38 =
> 325 + 961 + 1 - 1000 =
> 1286 + 1 - 1000 =
> 1287 - 1000 =
> 287

- flipping the subtrahend digits mentally is cake.
- final add by one and decrementing the high digit is also cake.
- middle addition part no harder than any other technique

They used to teach that in the states too. But I kind of phased it out when I started doing things like .

Makes you wonder if today's kids will dump this common core shit once they get more familiar with numbers overall. Like we did with your example.

I perfectly understand its show subtraction is just difference calculation by adding nice round numbers to get to your subtractee and then summing those steps to get the answer.
>dont strawman me faggot

But like others said before students do this naturally and teaching them a standardize way to do it is retarded.

The stuff in OP's post is about teaching how to process it in your head, not how to do it on paper.
We had common core in the 70's, but it was scrapped after a couple of years since the kids didn't understand it.
I can see the point of trying to teach more efficient number variable processing, but I'm not convinced it can be effectively taught.

this is what I do in my head:
325 - 30 = 295

295 - 8 = 287

this

Math is gay and school sucks

"Gotta get a calculating routine!" they said. Somehow I should have learned mathematical understanding by calculating stuff in an endless-seeming behavioristic drill. I didn't, it just repulsed me. I'm still bad in multiplying, which was taught in horrible brute force memorization way, absolutely Asian tier.

My friend, who had learned advanced math in uni, said that there is actually some clever way to actually understand what's going on in multiplying so that none of that brute force memorization 6*7=42, 7*7=49, 8*7=56 would actually have been necessary.

We got calculators in 7th grade, but it was too late, I suck in math forever.

why would they?

I don't think we actually had Common Core, the weird experiment in 70's was about set theory, since grade 1. Parents and teachers themselves didn't understand shit. But some have argued that the success of Nokia was partly because this, those students who managed to learn set theory since grade 1 became sort of super-engineers.

My biggest concern with CC math is that it seems to take an extraordinarily generous view of childhood mental development.

Most models estimate that the average kid doesn't start thinking abstractly until 11 or 12 years old, so most of them won't gain any benefit from teaching non-rote shit when they're 8 or 9 years old.

Sure a few substantially brighter kids will eat this up, but most will just be doing their best to follow along with seemingly nonsensical instructions and not even get useful skills out of it.

I work for nasa, I can confirm this.

sentiments of elitism over the unwashed masses, plus career tracks that largely rely on suck off the government teat?

>waste extra time on all these methods the filter of time got rid of for us?

Not all brains think the same way. The rote method of the 1950s left behind too many thinkers.

Albert Einstein failed his college math entrance exam. I might be going out on a limb here but I suggest something was wrong with the fucking test.

Do we really want to force a kind of educational simplification that has already resulted in a nationwide STEM failure?

Give all methods of inductive and deductive reasoning to kids and let them sort it out for themselves. They're probably smarter than you give them credit for.

>subtract
>by counting up

I want to wake up from this nightmare

This is actually how I do math normally. I just have a natural knack for it. That's why when they "teach" math methods when I was a kid I was always confused, because they were basically just trying to teach everyone else in an extremely over-complicated, minutely detailed way, what I already did without really thinking about it.

Underrated
Acceptable versions include:

Way to complicated
I understand the logic behind it but it take to many steps.

325-25= 300
300-13= 287

all easy to calculate in a fraction of a second

There is no problem with the method of subtraction. There's a HUGE problem, however, with teaching it to young kids who cannot fully grasp the concept of mathematics. This methodology will literally do nothing but fuck kids up in learning something as basic as subtraction. Kids who know how to do it the normal way will lose points on tests for not doing it the convoluted way. Dumb kids are going to fuck it up even worse by forgetting the steps, losing even more points. Lose-lose situation.

Calm down. Another way to describe subtraction is to "find the difference." That's exactly what this counting up method does, and it's a helpful alternative way to think about the problem.

>I'm out there rubbing two sticks together, you wak around with a zippo

What is 37% of 11,332,876' Mr. Mathimagician.

325-38
= 300+25-38
= 300-13
= 287

CC is based on the fallacy that computing and intuiting are similar processes. They are not. Computing is far faster and more reliable when the resources are available.

They think they can teach dumb kids to be able to intuit math, when this is not teachable. Computation is a skill and can be taught. Intuition, particularly for math, is something you are born with.

Divide by 100, times 37.

Easy but long

1,133,287.60 x 3 + 113,328.76 * 7
3,399,000.00ish + 821000ish

/sci/ is trolling you, marxist/athiest/scientific/intellectual elitists always support the dumbing down of everyone else so they can be that much more powerful..

common core achieves exactly what it is supposed to ..

Einstein didnt fail his math entrance exam. He passed math and science and failed everything. Autism

Boo hoo stop being an entitled faggot

No you

>I've been a cashier for over 10 years

how can a person be such a failure

common core is for doing simple 1st grade math in your head

traditional math is for doing LARGE ASS EQUATIONS on paper