Is this the best comic being published right now by the big two?

Is this the best comic being published right now by the big two?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/30012-best-shots-review-the-flintstones-1.html
newsarama.com/29741-best-shots-review-marvel-s-civil-war-ii-2-quickly-burning-off-the-initial-goodwill.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

It was really fucking good. Holly shit.

What else the writter did?

>What else the writer did?
DCYou Prez

I don't like to say THE best but it's definitely up there.
Those Hanna-Barbera comics have been pretty damn impressive in general (except maybe Wacky Raceland), but that probably stems a bit from the part where the concept was ridiculous and the previews just looked weird, so most people didn't walk in with major expectations.

I imagine people surprised by this must have totally missed Prez because they thought it was SJW or something.

I wonder if Morp turns out to be someone (other than just what cavemen call God)

The first issue was pretty damn good, but it's hard to call it the best just one issue in

Prez, God Is Disappointed In You

No SJW needed here, man, it's just brand recognition. Prez is pretty damn obscure (being a non-cape DC character and a revival attempt of a series that lasted a whooping one year in the seventies) while the Flintstones are kind of a big deal.

Yes!!!! Flintstones are an awesome read!!!!

>Concept was ridiculous
I think that was the point. Pontac had said in interviews that DC wanted him to go as over the top as he could. Most people wanted a normal mad max comic than wacky raceland.

I want barafags off my Sup Forums. You only read it because Fred has muscles.

Damn, you caught us.

>not reading for the Cro-Magnons

Read Newsrama's review. It's just as bad as when they reviewed Grayson future's end.

It's not perfect. the one scene with Wilma's backstory was a touching moment that I don't think the story "earned" yet. Otherwise, it got off to a great start for a fucking Flintstones reboot.

newsarama.com/30012-best-shots-review-the-flintstones-1.html

> It makes sense that Fred Flintstone would get the brontosaurus’ share of the spotlight in this debut issue, but he comes across as a passive protagonist here while Russell explores his brave new Bedrock. Unfortunately, while Fred is off trying to woo some Cro-Magnon co-workers, the rest of the gang gets short shrift - Wilma has a fun (if late-breaking) subplot as a struggling artist, but Barney and Betty Rubble’s appearances are basically blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameos, adding little to the story.

> Instead, Russell spends much of his creative energies establishing the world of The Flintstones, but this feels like a case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” While there are plenty of puns to go around (Fred takes his guests to a place called “Outback Snakehouse,” while Wilma tries to call him on his “shell phone”), there’s not a ton of laughs to be had in this workplace comedy. Russell tries to sneak in some politics with his script, particularly with flashbacks to Fred’s military career, but more often than not, Russell is spending time showing us the nightlife of Bedrock — which doesn’t really feel all that revolutionary.

> Some of this has to do with his synergy with his artist, Steve Pugh — while there was an effervescent energy to Russell’s work with Ben Caldwell in the pages of Prez, with lots of in-jokes thrown into the bright and cartoony world, Pugh doesn’t have that over-the-top quality to really sell the comedy. Weighed down by some too-dark colors by Chris Chuckry, these semi-realistic Flintstones come across as too muscular and not nearly expressive enough, with the sight gags barely registering.

most of his review boils down to "too much worldbuilding" and "Fred is the main character"

4/10 seems kinda harsh for that

Seriously? Guess I can chalk that guy up as a favourite of mine now, Prez was crazy fun.

Disaffected teenage Pebbles

Fucking idiot.

The night life of Bedrock was to show the cultural differences between them and the cro magnun, so their choice at the end would have more dimension.

And YES, Fred is passive, THIS IS ALSO THE FUCKING POINT, he is the dog of his boss. This is what you have before the character development, Fred struggles are a way to show the major themes that will be dealed here.

Holly shit, I imagine how hard would be whatching a tv show with a guy like this, he would complain about meanless shit that is just introducting characters and plot.

I'm not even mad at his low view on the comic, I'm mad for him being such an awful and probably retarded autistic critic that don't know basic storyltelling.

I get that he wanted more Barney/Wilma and Betty
But it's the first issue and it's the flintstones! We already know these characters

>Unfortunately, while Fred is off trying to woo some Cro-Magnon co-workers, the rest of the gang gets short shrift - Wilma has a fun (if late-breaking) subplot as a struggling artist, but Barney and Betty Rubble’s appearances are basically blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameos, adding little to the story.

IT'S ONLY THE FIRST ISSUE

On an unrelated note do you think we're going to get The Great Gazoo later on?

Newsarama is doing some of the most shitty reviews anyway. Rarely they will give to a Bendis book a score lower to 7. That speaks volumes about how good their reviewers are.

>On an unrelated note do you think we're going to get The Great Gazoo later on?
I'd be surprised if we didn't

Hell, there's already aliens confirmed

God, this made me feel so weird as a little kid, watching him lust and moan so openly

shockingly enough the same reviewer gave CWII #2 a 3/10

newsarama.com/29741-best-shots-review-marvel-s-civil-war-ii-2-quickly-burning-off-the-initial-goodwill.html

>Rarely they will give to a Bendis book a score lower to 7. That speaks volumes about how good their reviewers are.

That's true. But when it does happen it's kind of shocking.

I expect them to give a high review to #3 to damage control for it.

>Disaffected and long-suffering worker Fred Flintstone is strong armed into exploiting immigrant workers for less pay and more labor by his delusional narcissistic boss.

Wasn't fucking expecting this.

No one was because we are so used to the cartoon. I always thought the Water Buffalo Lodge was just a men's club, not a club for war vets suffering from PTSD.

Is it out?

Anyone storytime it?

Personally, I didn't like it as much as the other anons here. It's not a bad comic in the slightest, but to me it was a bit if a mixed bag. There were a lot of elements that worked and a few that didn't, but overall I'm glad that it still felt like Flinstones. But it's not the best when Future Quest exists.

Check the archives, it was storytimed twice already.

so,is this a monthly comic?

yep

Also Slate being Alpha "Bring Lotion" as fuck.

I did wonder for a bit how they would keep the dichotomy with Fred being the size of a fucking house.

Is this trolling? This is probably the worst comic I've read this decade. It ruins every character in the Flintstones and fills the story with a bunch of tonally inapropriate shit that has no buisness in a sitcom about cavemen!

I honestly don't understand how the same guy that wrote the new Prez could write this misguided, ill-concieved, slow, boring, vacant, empty, meaningless catastrophe of a comic!

And I'll understand how anybody can like it even less.

>It ruins every character in the Flintstones and fills the story with a bunch of tonally inapropriate shit that has no buisness in a sitcom about cavemen!
>not muh Flintstones

Fred gonna go to a dark place and paint the room with Pre History Hipsters.

yeah definitely!
i expected it to bore me but it is just so darn entertaining that i couldn't stop reading

oh and also,anyone know how well this comic sold?

>Also Slate being Alpha "Bring Lotion" as fuck.
Slate's antics was great and I hope to see more of him and Phillip

wait... you people are really liking this comic or is it just ironically? I thought it was gonna be shit! should I read it?

There wasn't any sign of Pebbles or Bamm-Bamm in this comic. Are these first few issues going to be set before they're born/adopted?

I think you uploaded the wrong picture, OP.

Definitely worth a read.

I need a giant sloth couch in my life.

At times in the old show Fred felt like a man on the edge, especially when in the middle of a scheme.

Ohhh Fred. Maybe something akin to the movie plot. Cept he won't be the Pawn in all of it but be the Walter White and have no choice to keep going forward on the path he's chosen.

I saw Multiversity slated it too. Ridiculous.

>sneak in some politics
DID YOU FUCKING READ THIS? "SNEAK" IN? REALLY?

Newsarama is shit. They gave Seeley's Suicide Squad a low grade, all the while attributing the issue to Ryan, not Seeley. I get that they have shit critics, but what the fuck was the editor doing?

Has God Is Disappointed In You ever been scanned or put online? Can't find it anywhere.

Yeah, it's excellent. Tons of the gag pages and small details work with much larger themes.

Pretty sure they're born (Fred has been working on his job for 15 years; can't imagine he hasn't had a kid by that point), but we just haven't seen them.

Kind of like Mad Men's pilot. If I'm remembering right, they didn't show Don's kids until the last few moments of the pilot (and apparently, they and Betty weren't intended to be in the pilot in its original script).

>what is this?
It's money
>what do I do with it?
I dunno, buy something someone else hated making

I really liked this exchange. It sounds so depressing for a Flintstones related anything...

They gave Seeley's last issue a 4, thinking that glass was writing the book. Damn, they go Dick's name wrong in JL #51. They thought it was Tim. Most of their reviewers just skimp through the book.

It's actually good. Unlike the heap of shit that is Wacky Raceland, Flintstones doesn't try to reinvent the wheel

It takes the old show and makes it slightly more dramatic, that's about it. And it still has the corny rock jokes and beleaguered talking animal appliances

She's there but not really in any plot.

It's pretty damn good probably the best thing to come out of the brand in years can't wait to see they're take on the great gazoo i wonder how terrify could they make this guy

I'd be willing to bet a little green man is involved.

I was let down a bit by the second issue of Future Quest, the chase from the henchmen took up too many panels and didn't move the plot forward enough

While cool , I don't know how many care about Jade for it to be a real cliffhanger

>I honestly don't understand how the same guy that wrote the new Prez could write this misguided, ill-concieved, slow, boring, vacant, empty, meaningless catastrophe of a comic!

all those buzzwords and yet not a single opinion given.

Weird.

Ancient astronauts plot when?

I don't give a fuck about the "not muh" faggots anymore. There will always be different takes of a franchise, some are good, others are shit. But this one was great!

I can understand that some jokes might not be immediately noticeable, but a 4/10 is way too low

tfw you realize that if Bedrock exists 100,000 years in the past, but Future Quest doesn't have a massively advanced level of technology as a result of this, then Bedrock will have to be destroyed and wiped from history at some point.

In a book that's dealing with the more serious, political side of things, the idea of a nigh-omnipotent god-like being just casually chilling out in Bedrock is pretty terrifying.

My guess at this point is that Bedrock's origin will be explained when the upcoming Jetsons book remakes "The Jetsons meet The Flintstones". Time travel shenanigans in short. Maybe George fucks up and the cavemen base their culture on future tech they find somehow?

Vision and Sheriff of Babylon still have 4 issues left

>Flintstones doesn't try to reinvent the wheel

Nice.

Yes, I was genuinely surprised by how great it was when it wasn't even excited for it compared to the other Hannah Barbera books.

>Homnid Resources

I haven't seen it story timed yet :(

Yeah they're in future issues.

I thought the commentary was a little too on-the-nose and Wilma's flashback was too heavy-handed.

Just another FOTM book.

Everything about Fred at work was depressing

>How long have you been dressing for the job you want?
>Fifteen years

Not my bag, but it was pretty good. Leagues better than the shitty Scooby Doo and Wacky Races books.

The Jonny Quest book is still best though