Why is this beloved?

Why is this beloved?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uSQt4ckq-dg
youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8SLAEmyCI
youtube.com/watch?v=tdeOc4J6ziA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's incredible to look at and the premise is interesting.

good animation, the rest is mediocre

Can someone explain wtf the last 30 minutes was all about?

It was about the same thing the rest of the movie was about. If you didn't understand the last 30 minutes, you clearly didn't understand or weren't paying attention to anything else that happened.

Manga is better pretty much introduces a post apocalyptic 2nd part and the whole scenario is more cohesive because of it check it out if you enjoyed the movie.

It isnt. Anime and anybody who enjoys it is retarded

gigantic foreheads

It was awesome in its time. Dated now but still pure kino.

>he says, on an anime website

The same reason plebs love korean flicks
it gives them the same excitement as garbage from hollywood yet lets them say they watch foreign films

Really great animation top to bottom
Great setting, which to this day looks more imaginitive than a bunch of cyberpunk art
Many westerners' first exposure to non-child-friendly anime
Pretty good action scenes
Iconic character designs, ost, and ending
Kaneda's bike is awesome

Read the manga

Tetsuo needed a stronger body to contain his power so he just mutated, but lost control and created a vortex of mental energy that nuked Neo-Tokyo again

Because it was the first Jap cartoon that had the characters show expression and have their mouths move.

This, Ninja Scroll and Cowboy Bepop are the only decent animes.

This as well
I think they had the actors record their lines before they animated the mouth flaps, which hardly ever happens
The budget for Akira was huge compared to most other anime

100,000 individually painted frames, shitty story.

basically this entire post, thread over

Well, this thread is a convenient excuse to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=uSQt4ckq-dg

>the high point of 2D japanese animated film was 30 years ago
Sad!

Redline is better

Good amination
Even if the English dub is mediocre
The japanese dub is good.

Cool movie

It's really good. So good that a shitload of contemporary superhero movies pull from its imagery while completely missing the point. Akira's destruction was a portrayal of what it would look like if teenage actually had the power to express the emotions pent up inside them, but the contemporary cape movies just take the images of destruction and paste em on bad guy fights because it looks cool.

Mm, that's debatable
Of course there's anime movies that have surpassed Akira technically. Princess Mononoke and Redline come to mind, but there are also anime movies much better than Akira from a narrative standpoint. That's a much more subjective argument though.
You could maybe make the same argument for American animation, or American cinema in general
>tfw the height of American cinema (The Godfather) was over forty years ago. Sad!
If I could recommend some anime movies to you it would be Summer Wars, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbor Totoro, and Ghost in the Shell

>this generic face
>iconic character designs

If you enjoyed Bebop, you should check out Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy if you haven't already. Same director, similar themes. I rank Bebop above them, but they're the only thing in the same neighborhood.

Aah, fair enough I guess
Iconic costumes may be more correct? Kaneda's red outfit is classic, as is Tetsuo's red cape, tank top, spiky hair, and the weird psychic children.
I think Otomo's faces stand out in the context of other mangaka, but within the work they do kind of blur together and their body types are pretty similar, so you got me there

>Cowboy Bepop

Quit that one after ten episodes. It just never got interesting.

I forgot the pic, but yes, I guess iconic costumes works better. I never really liked the faces that much.

KAAAAANEEEEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

100% this, the film scratches the surface of the manga

Whats better for this sub or dub?

Sub for sure

>get dub dubs
>choose the sub
Wasted.

I think it's one of those things that is creater than the sum of its parts. Most people that watch it reconise that they are seeing something iconic and unlike anything else.

style and it raised the bar for animation at the time
there are also plenty of famous shots that have been re-created in other movies

its an anti drug story. Most people miss the plot point that Tetsuo starts to gain powers/mutate/go fucking crazy after going through the Akira program and mixing it with pills.
It was all due to abuse of narcotics.

yeah that shitty defense doesn't work when you realize that they cut out a bunch of the manga's original storyline so they could fit it into a 2 hour flick.

>Ninja Scroll

Genma did NOTHING wrong

This

Pretty much a case of important vs. good.

A lot of art that was "important," (i.e. had a major impact on art of today) wouldn't necessarily be "good" if it was released at this point.

This is probably one of them.

Also this I wouldn't necessarily call Akira (at least not the movie, the manga is fucking awesome, I know I'm trash) "good;" the plot is rather confusing (because they tried to stuff 6 large volumes into two hours.) But it has its good points. Style, for one. The opening biker gang fight is pure kino.

this. reddit is better too

the technical aspects

this was all hand drawn: youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8SLAEmyCI

great animation, great music, great sound, all wrapped around whats ultimately just an ok story.
However the things that are good about it are so great and so revolutionary for the time, with Akira being one of the instrumental films in terms of bringing a global audience to anime, that they totally overshadow the ok stuff.
It really is a spectacle of the highest order.

If you can't figure out why for yourself, you probably know jack shit about the animation industry.

Aside from all the other reasons posted here, Geino's score just fits so well. Kaneda and Requiem are fantastic.

It absolutely does work if you just pay attention.

Tetsuo gets his arm blown off. He's then shown to be able to control matter to repair the damage. This is logical to the viewer, because we've seen Tetsuo destroy and repair things with his mind before. It makes sense that the next logical step from messing around with inanimate things is messing around with animate things, and it's very explicitly said that Tetsuo is playing with and growing into his powers as rapidly as he can.

In that same scene, we can see that Tetsuo has trouble controlling his new biomechnical arm. This makes sense to the viewer as well, since it's made clear that while Tetsuo is smart, he is also inexperienced, and doesn't have the finesse of the other children yet, since that comes with years of practice.

From there, we see the problems of the biomechnical arm start to balloon out of control. The viewer has no problem believing this, because the scientists monitoring his state from a distance are confirming repeatedly that his power is growing exponentially. It logically follows that everything he's doing with his power is getting stronger, too, which when paired with the visual of the arm starting to fuse with the surrounding against Tetsuo's will makes it clear that Tetsuo is in danger of losing himself to his own abilities.

Then in the final scene with Tetsuo, the biomechanical nature of his arm has expanded to the rest of his body, which again makes sense since the doctors and scientists watching say it looks like he's utterly losing control because his power is expanding faster than his will is, and you need willpower to control the psychic powers. Based on tidbits dropped throughout the movie about Akira losing control of his massive power and decimating the city, it logically follows that when Tetsuo fully loses control of his immense power, another explosion of psychic energy that would again level the city would follow. Nothing about ti doesn't make sense.

They didn't cut anything out the manga wasn't finished during the production of the movie.

>Expected cool cyberpunk biker gang movie

>Get Dragon Ball Z

Fuck chinese cartoons

Cant wait for the meltdown when it's Americanized

I work in the Japanese education system. This movie makes a lot more sense now.

one of my favorite soundtracks but the movie is pretty boring desu

old anime is the most overrated shit in the world

How about BR? And that one where they kill the teacher's infant daughter?

Didn't Chronicle the movie draw inspiration from this?

Sup Forums is an anime forum user.
why are you such an insecure faggot that you cannot try to enjoy art because of the perceived social stigma. Grow up and watch cartoons you douche.

These kids are pushed so hard. You guys have no idea. Teachers do yell at and smack students. The kids do a two part chant every morning. The first part is disharmonious. The second they do in harmony. The disharmony one is the one the movie uses for the themesong. The movie is about how put down kids are by adults which goes in particular for Japan etc. The entire movie is about how adults are trying to control teenagers by keeping them like children. Akira means bright as a name and basically means good student.

The beginning is one of my favorite openings to a movie anime or otherwise.

the imagery coupled with the unique music is excellent

Beautiful, fluid animation. Visually arresting and constantly engaging.

Also, extreme body horror. Can't get enough of that.

Katashiro finished the movie before the manga ( which concluded years later ) I think he did an amazing job with what he had. Akira is also more proof that a movie doesn't have to be a shot for shot adaptation in order for it to be good

Tetsuo loses control but the psychic kids call Akira back, Akira had transcended the need for a physical body and became pure concious energy.

He helps Tetsuo elevate himself to the next plane, you can see that after Tetsuo's body is destroyed he (as pure energy) still has an intact ego as some kind of cosmic being. That's why the final words in the film are "I AM... TETSUO", cue african obongo bonging youtube.com/watch?v=tdeOc4J6ziA