Rate the movies you've seen in theaters so far this year

Rate the movies you've seen in theaters so far this year.

GotG2 - Awesome
King Arthur - AWESOME
Pirates - Meh

Sigh...

>seen in theaters
Haha, no, my Jew friend. Just no.

>GotG2
A bit better than the original but too much Groot. Starlord was an annoying whiny kid but the emotional scene worked. Rather mediocre.

>King Arthur
Expected a lot more due word of mouth. The new tone was an interesting take, the lead guy was a lot more charismatic than expected, Jude had a great performance and CIA is always good but damn, it was boring. Painfully so.

>Pirates
Worlds better than the 4th and generally a great fucking movie, pretty hyped to see it for the 3rd time. Carina was what the series needed and the emotional scene worked even better than in GotG2. I don't get why it did so bad at the box office.

>WW
Way, way, way better than expected after the shitty trailers and most capeshit crap but overall forgettable and empty.

>Baywatch
Not as shit as expected, way dumber than expected and overall ... it was not horrible.

>Mummy
Dear Lord, why did I even bother.

I am groot!

LMAO!!!!!xDxD!!

I don't understand why you enjoyed PotC5. Is it because Johnny Depp acted like Trump?

Wait, so you watched some awful-ass camrips? What a pleb.

>because Johnny Depp acted like Trump
Didn't he manage to make a deal to get the coordinates? Doubt Donald could do that.

I liked the new soundtrack, characters like Salazar and Shansa, the ship eating and most importantly the Barbossa thing. Rush had such a fucking great performance. It was same old escapism stuff with adventure and freedom as the others but with a real emotional core to hold the dumb plot together.

Also Carina is a perfect addition for the series. She's basically a more moral Jack Sparrow with her own set of skills and goals, instead of the "I want to save X" from Will/Henry/Elizabeth or the whole crap with Angelica, and she fits into the narrative in a clever way (astronomers were important as fuck) instead of doing the pirate grrrrl thing and fighting 2 guys alone after couple months of training like Elizabeth.

Expected it to easy break 1 billion but now it seems unlikely it'll even hit more than 800m.

Because Baywatch will suddenly turn from 3/10 into a 8/10 after I see the dong in 4K, right? Or maybe because the shittier antagonist in WW will become interesting with better colors and more pixels? Did the Mummy version in the cinema had 70% less Cruise?

Only saw Trainspotting 2
It was pretty good

Baby Driver - k i n o
WW - fun, cute
GotG 2 - quips, cringe

Next month will be busy though. Apekino, Atomic Blonde, and Valerian.

I very rarely watch movies. I just come here for memes. I'm going to see Transformers tomorrow, though.

>Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale
A lot better than the garbage pile that is the show.

>hates show
>watches movie anyway
What is your deal?

I enjoy watching it to laugh at how stupid it gets. Went in to do the same with the movie since it was playing nearby and I actually really liked it.

Oh. Well that's cool I guess. Must be pretty good if you planned to hate it and still liked it.

>Passengers
Forgettable waste of a potentially-good idea

>Elle
Great central performance, but reviews read far more into it than what's there.

>Live by Night
Better than its reception would suggest, still not that good.

>T2 Trainspotting
I liked it - probably the 2017 movie I've liked the most so far.

>Wonder Woman
Reminded me of the fun 90s retro-capeshit like The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom.

>My Cousin Rachel
Watchable, but felt like a well-mounted TV period piece at times.

no movies have interested me this year.

I, too, am a pleb with no friends.

>Trainspotting 2
9/10. A great sequel.
>GotG2
See Trainspotting 2
>Wonder Woman
7/10. Solid superhero movie, which is more than I can say of most capeshit coming out nowadays.
>The Circle
4/10. That was awful. Black Mirror but even worse and made by people who never saw technology in their own lives.

Don't remember watching anything else.

>Logan - good movie, but extremely generic and that third act would ruin a much better movie. 6/10
>Wonder Woman - meh all over, it was fun and I was pleasantly surprised, doctor poison a qt 6.5/10
>GotG2 - not impressed. I was impressed with the first one either. Quips didn't work for me and the movie had little of anything else 5/10
>Baby Driver - great action movie, best thing we'll see this summer 8/10
>Pirates/Transformers - why does this shit even exist again? 1/10

Glad to hear Trainspotting is good. Loved the first film but a film this long after the first is generally a red flag. Guess they knew what they were doing.

Save your brain cell, don't watch Transformers please. It's painful to watch.

t. Peter "Michael Bay's Latest Is 2017's Most Toxic Movie" Travers

I've only seen 4 films in the theatre this year, I'll rank them:

The Bride for Rip Van Winkle

======= Large Gap =======

Get Out
Logan
Wonder Woman

I've never even heard of that first one so I have to assume it's some pretentious indie art crap.

In theaters? I've seen 12:

8/10 Logan
7/10 Kong: Skull Island
7/10 Alien: Covenant
7/10 John Wick: Chapter 2
7/10 Berlin Syndrome
6/10 The Lego Batman Movie
6/10 Ghost in the Shell
5/10 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5/10 Wonder Woman
4/10 The Mummy
4/10 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
4/10 Power Rangers

Well the music is a huge part of GotG so watching that with shitty sound seems like an idiotic decision at best.

You enjoy Transformers, kiddo? Did mummy buy you popcorn?

How did you see so many films on July 10th? It's June.

>King Arthur - AWESOME
i loved that film to why was everyone saying it was bad?

Typical critic bullshit where they whine about "style over substance." They did the same thing with Man from UNCLE, which, by the way, was also great.

fuck me i loved the man from uncle i watch it twice and it only got better
and lone ranger am i the only one that loves that film?

I haven't seen Lone Ranger yet but with that 10/10 casting I definitely will sometime.

so much fun, and yer Johnny Depp is playing a american Indian blah blah racist blah blah
but its a lot of fun and its directed by Gore Verbinski,

Never liked ANY of the tracks, not from the first either, so doubt it made a difference for my experience. (And probably explains why I don't like the movies that much)
Besides the audio quality on TS isn't THAT bad.

The critics might be idiotic but it wasn't even style over substance. Just soooo dragged. Man from UNCLE had a great pacing and the story was more confined too.

Richie should've go with original IP instead of rolling with the Arthur brand.

I loved Man from UNCLE too, and the Russian agent guy, didn't like him in Lone Ranger, and the whole movie felt like a drag, despite doing almost everything right.

>Johnny Depp is playing a american Indian blah blah racist blah blah
Did the people who bitched against it at least watch it? The movie portrayed the whole conflict in a pretty sensible way without whitewashing. Complaining against the actor who was supposed to draw the audience to it, is just so silly.

>didn't like him in Lone Ranger, and the whole movie felt like a drag, despite doing almost everything right.
thats a shame i love a high adventure movie the bridge scene was cool

>i love a high adventure movie
Me too, and I love Johnny and Verbrinski, so I really tried to like it. I can't even point the finger on the reason why I didn't exactly beyond the lenght. Maybe it needs another rewatch in couple years.

its cool i can understand, i hate pirates 4 but every one likes it i dont understand why?

Heh, everyone I know who liked the other pirates movie hated 4 too. Didn't like it either and don't get how it reached 1 fucking billion.

Fuck off pleb, true cinematographiles appreciate Transformers.

Yes, Sofia Boutella bought me popcorn. Jealous, virgin? >:)

>Split
Surprisingly decent. Actually never saw the ending coming.

>Lego Batman
I loved it. Really clever, I thought.

>A Cure for Wellness
Loved it... until the ending. Wasn't horrible but disappointing.

>Logan
Probably my new favorite comic book movie. So refreshing to see an indie-scale story on this budget and about super heroes.

>Beauty and the Beast
I adored it, believe it or not. Not perfect but it was lovely.

>The Belko Experiment
Shit. Not even worth a pirate.

>Ghost in the Shell
Not as bad as people say. Strong act 1 and 3. Great visuals.

>Case for Christ
In a sea of shitty Christian films, this one was pretty good, believe it or not. Fet like it was an actual movie, so that's saying something.

>Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Top 3 Marvel films, easily. Ton of fun.

>Pirates 5
Good send off to the series. One of the better Pirates movies.

>Wonder Woman
Pretty great. Surprised there was absolutely no ham-fisted feminism shit.

Probably the scene with the pegleg and rum.

>Never liked ANY of the tracks, not from the first either, so doubt it made a difference for my experience. (And probably explains why I don't like the movies that much)

I don't even want to know what kind of music you actually like.

How do you determine what each "act" of a movie is? It's not like they have text that announces them, aside from artsy stuff like Valhalla Rising and Hateful Eight.

>implying music didn't peak somewhere between classical and romantic period

Basic knowledge about stories/screenwriting would be my guess. Most movies/books follow the three act structure pretty rigidly. Read about about story beats.

Well, first off as far as I'm aware the common opinion of Pirates 4 was that it was inferior to the original trilogy. But I liked it. Especially because it had a lot of Barbossa, the best character in the series. I thought Pirates 5 sucked in comparison because it had barely any Barbossa and chose instead to focus on these new kids who I found to be completely uninteresting knockoffs of Will and Elizabeth, except this time with literally who actors that they probably expected to make famous with this film. And on top of Barbossa's lack of presence in the film they fucking killed him, which carries no weight considering he died and came back to life once already, as have a couple other characters in this series. So either way it's going to be bullshit because either they'll keep him dead for real which is stupid or bring him back to life with some equally stupid plot point and devalue death even more. They're probably going to eke out one more movie based on that little stinger but it's probably going to suck with these new characters, no Barbossa, and fucking Davy Jones as the villain AGAIN.

He didn't get as much screen time but Barbossa showed more development in 5th than any other movie.

In 4th it was getting owned by Blackbeard and wanting revenge + becoming privateer.
In 5th he went from a fleet captain, to scared shitless, to making a deal, than fucking over the person, and the whole family stuff, which gave a completely new side, while still fitting perfectly into what we know about him.

You're right about it probably going to get devalued even more, and the scene itself felt forced but he got much more focus in the 5th than any other movie.

>tippeth fedora

I mean, yeah, what you're saying about development is true to a degree, but I find it worthless without enough scenes that display it. It just felt very disconnected and stilted the way they handled it because they were far too focused on drawn out action setpieces.

>mfw only watched 1 movie from 2017 so far

Trainspotting 2
>6/10

It's Only the End of the World
>8/10

The Salesman
>8/10

The Unknown Girl
>6/10

The Third Man
>10/10

Raw
>9/10

Mulholland Drive
>10/10

Annie Hall
>8/10

20th Century Women
>9/10

Logan- Pretty good
Pirates of the caribbean-Good
Power Rangers-Meh
Kong-Meh
Alien Covenant-Meh
Ghost in the Shell-Shit
Guardians of the galaxy-Shit
Wonder Woman-Shit

So far, its been a really shit year in movies.

shit, forgot the best one

John Wick 2-Gunkino

I agree.
transformers is the only flick I have watched in the cinema for a few years because of no singles policy, and it was terrible, gave me cancer.

mark whalberg fights a transformer with a magical sword

Split - 8/10
XXX: Return of Xander Kino - 4/4
Resident Evil: Jason Lives - 2/10
John Wick 2 - 7.75/10
The Great Wall - 6/10
Logan - 8/10
Kong - 7/10
Guardians - 7/10
Alien: Covenant - I honestly still don't know/10
The Mummy - 4/10 but 10/10 mummy waifu
Transformers 5 - 5/10 but with moments of Baykino.

I forgot the Assassin's Creed movie came in 2017 in Ausfag land and was easily a legit 0/10 movie.

Yeah, I'd say 99% of films follow three act structure. You can break them down to 9 to 12 beats but 3 acts is pretty standard.

>Act 1
World as it is. Establishing. Set up. Ends with the event that triggers story.

>Act 2
Main action. Where bulk of story takes place. Tension rises. Usually ends with beginning of end.

>Act 3
Climax and aftermath.

So Act 1 is the Shire, Tatooine, Fontaine asking Valjean to raise Cozette, Ryan Gosling being an autistic driver and meeting girl, etc. Act 2 is Adventuring across Middle Earth, sneaking around the Death Star, Valjean on the run from Javert, Ryan Gosling being an autistic driver... but in love. Etc. Act 3 is Mordor, Death Star run, The barricade battle, the end of Drive, all that.

It's basically a fancy way of saying what we all intrinsically understand about stories anyway: there's a beginning, a middle, and an end.