What self-respecting TV show ends the season only at 8 episodes and with a cliffhanger that's literally all the...

What self-respecting TV show ends the season only at 8 episodes and with a cliffhanger that's literally all the characters gathering and introducing themselves?

>answer: American gods

wow

The show is good but has so much cringe moments god damn that explicit muslim gay sex scene, that long stories that nobody cares about it, that Gillian Anderson as marilyn monroe or david bowie and so many more

The sex scene is in the book and more explicit, ending with the Jinn cumming in the guys mouth.

I like the stories of how the gods got to America.

I just watched the last ep assuming that it was the one which concluded the story, because while I hated most of the book, I thought that the almost needless epilogue was still alright

they really went full-retard with the length of this series; 7/8 hours would've been more than enough to properly tell it to completion

also Ian Mcshane almost looks like a granny lesbian. His casting is accurate but the looks are way off the mark

I still don't even understand what happened to the guy. Got filled with firejizz and then what?

where is Czernabog?

>What self-respecting TV show ends the season only at 8 episodes
A good one.
>with a cliffhanger that's literally all the characters gathering and introducing themselves
the one that doesn't take itself too seriously

remember that time when a legitimately good show dropped but it had a scene that triggered alt-right pussies so you couldn't talk about it on Sup Forums

>odin looks sicilian
i dont even know why i watched this shit

>establishes in episode one that he's Odin
>goes on a journey with fantastical shit happening everywhere
>"you wouldnt be leave me if i told you who i was"
>makes a grandiose """reveal""" that he is, indeed, Odin in the last episode

does Shadow have downs syndrome or whats up?

>I just watched the last ep assuming that it was the one which concluded the story, because while I hated most of the book, I thought that the almost needless epilogue was still alright

how could you think this was going to conclude the story if you've read the book, they're only a little bit through the main story thread at this point

Thoth and Anubis are black

Queen of Sheba is Nigerian

REALLY weird casting choices

He doesn't say Odin just names that he goes by besides Odin

I didn't know he was Odin until the last episode

OOOOOOOODIIIIIIIN

They basically switched lives. His wish was granted.

I didn't know they were moving it at a snail's pace

Anubis is literally black

According to a video I saw with the cast and Fuller, it was supposed to be 9 episodes but they went over budget. If it seems weird they didn't make it to the House on the Rock now you know why. They also said the Odin "reveal" was originally in episode 4 but it messed with Shadow's arc so it became their backup ending.

please be bait, I've joked that the average audience is retarded and will need to be told flat out eight times before it sticks, too sad if it's true.

the big rocket with ODIN on it should have been the final clue an idiot needed

did u make me a trolling or are you truly that stupid, is this the american education system at work

even if you disregard the fact that his name is "Odins day" there are basically a dozen hints sprinkled around throughout the season

He's a fucking Black Jackal not person

It's structured like a typical shonen anime. The protags' midterm goal is a godsmoot, and the final goal is a victorious war for hegemony, but you have to watch all the wacky hijinx and detours filling in between.

Highlight of the season was the interrogation room sequence culminating in offering to rebrand Odin into a guidance satellite for icbms against 25 million Best Koreans.

>his name is "Odins day"

No its Wednesday

The show obviously preaches lefty cultural values. BUT I love the book, Neil Gaiman, and the show does enough right that it's forgivable.

It gets a lot of bonus points from right wingers and independence for including the bit about white indentured servitude, which is virtually never covered by the history books or the media.

That and casting is perfect and even the detours and new material I like.

So long tangent aside.

Being a show based on lefty values, it makes sense to cast Egyptians as black, the blacks always like to usurp the Egyptians culture. Queen of Sheba likewise. She was also African but Saba were a Semitic people.

And though I think Ricky Whittle (name?) does great as Shadow moon, it doesn't make sense to have a black in the role of a god from the Norse/Germanic pantheon...

>Wednesday
>Woden's day
>Scot-Gaelic for Odin

>And though I think Ricky Whittle (name?) does great as Shadow moon, it doesn't make sense to have a black in the role of a god from the Norse/Germanic pantheon...

Shadow moon is a god?

>Highlight of the season was the interrogation room sequence culminating in offering to rebrand Odin into a guidance satellite for icbms against 25 million Best Koreans.
oh so that's what they meant by that

i guess i'm just retarded because i didn't get it at all, i didn't understand how nuking north korea would help him rebrand

You'd have to be really into mythology or purposely Google it to know that Wednesday had to do with Odin or the names the other gods refer to him by are alternate versions of Odin.

At least until they put his name the rocket

Because I fucking know that off the top of my head

Actually, like in the book, there's CONSTANT hints and virtually every line from Wednesday makes it blatantly apparent that he's Odin. I liked how the books mostly just implied who most of them were without saying outright.

If I recall right, the notion that he's Odin isn't even spelled out until near the end of the book.

I think it was dumbing it down a bit to have the grand declaration of war being him just shouting his name like some retarded Power Ranger.

I think they should have just left it obscure and let it be a test of intellgience whether they pick up on who these people represent.

I know its a joke and all but the so called reddit spacing you use is quite annoying to be honest whether its from reddit or not.

yup youre a retard
there ought to be a webm of that scene, it was easily the most original thing ive seen on television this season. koreans sacrificed to odin told in anime form

Do you really want this spoiled?

I believe he's a demigod if I remember right and though the book never even explicityly spells out who Shadow is, he's story distinctly aligns with a Nordic god (maybe demigod).

What god is shadow moon? I dont know much about Norse mythology

the fact he had a fake eye and was a god kinda should've been enough for anyone.

>watch a show entitled american gods
>not even wonder which characters would be masquerading as which gods
>the educational system of you

seriously is american education this bad or am I being reeled in hard?

this is primary school stuff, as in literally learned it in primary school, basic mythology.

You have to know a bit of etymology to break that down. Wednesday came from Wodansday in a more archaic form of English. Which means quite literally Odin's day. And likewise Thursday is Thor's day.

That, the one eye, and the talking with Ravens should have been enough for someone who knows basic mythology to unwrap it.

>is american education this bad
yep

pos legion ppl were praising that show and saying it amazing yea no.

Baldur, god of heroes. Who if I recall right, is the son of Odin and a mortal woman, making him a demigod, not a full blooded god.

Now, even the book doesn't spell this out fully, you have to piece it together, but the show probably will because it dumbs down a lot of the mystique (that being said, I still love the show).

They purposefully neutered Christianity in this it seems to make it less powerful to not add it on to the power dynamic

The idea that "every group prays to a different jesus" is neat but wouldn't every different group pray to a different Odin? A different Easter? There should be like 50 Odins and Easters like Jesus. But no there are only one.

What about Muslims and Protestants who believe in a high god (non-trinity)? Wouldn't theres be super fucking powerful considering its powered by millions if not billions of prayers and deaths?

Abrahamic god would easily beat out the New gods or the Old gods in power in terms of followers. Do they address this in the book?

Most schools wouldn't cover Nordic mythology to the point you get to alternate names for Odin. It's mostly Greek/Roman mythology unless you take a specific class on mythology.

in the show the gf literaly is worshiping mutliple times it hints that shadow is a god, if not demi. fuck this shit site, im going to bed

There are other Odins in the book.

Wednesday is just one in America

I was thinking more the basic days of the week desu, not knowing all the different names etymology

odin is wednesday, thor is thursday etc.

He's the fallen brother of Black Sun.

dont over think it. it has flaws but its still pretty good story telling. most tv shows have flaws and shit just ignore it and call it style. one example fargo s3.

Maybe. Not sure I ever learned it and I don't know what class that would be in. World history maybe?

Although, I am finishing up my PhD so it doesn't seem to have held me back too much.

oh okay thats good then

What about the fact that billions of people pray to the abrahamic god (not jesus)

the show establishes a clear and straight forward logic as to what causes gods to exist, which the monotheistic gods don't follow. A clear set of acts performed in exchange for tangible real-world effects. All the scripture surrounding monotheist gods claim they've already done everything and will continue to do everything regardless of what people pray for.

As such, yaweh, allah, etc, don't exist an a hundred jesuses get made.

I AM ODIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

thinks jesus interfers in ppls lives? how is he not the same as Allah etc.

I don't think they address the Abrahamic god much.

Tbh there's a lot of shadow by himself fucking around in a small town this point in the books

Is it just me or did the cloud cgi of Odin's face first resemble John Hurt before turning into McShane's face Subtle tribute? Maybe even a reference he was prioritized as Wednesday before his death?

that kind of a cop out

I think he knew allah/yaweh would be too powerful and fuck up the dynamic

So is spic heysus permadead because he was slain by a Vulcan bullet? Or did any of you spot him at Easter's manse? I'm not bothering to rewind.

Well Jesus isn't the same as Allah because Jesus exists in Islam just not as the son of God.

There does seem to be a lack of sacrifice to the AbrahamIic god besides maybe tithing, but that might not be enough. Like Odin in the first scene it took a lot to get that wind going

so cause jesus gets 10% or w/e from tithe at church he exists in this world?

He was there, people keep praying to him so he is created again.

>There does seem to be a lack of sacrifice to the AbrahamIic god besides maybe tithing, but that might not be enough

Literally millions killed in his name

Syria, Yemen, Somalia

The Abrahamic god would be too powerful so he couldn't exist within the books universe so they didn't put it in

Vulcan, on the show, mentioned that Odin had once sacrificed himself and been reborn. I would imagine that was his previous incarnation.

Perhaps they'll flesh that out more. They originally intended for this show to run 3 seasons. They have to pad things out a lot to make 3 seasons from a novel. Now they're talking about 5 seasons. If so, they'll probably be a lot more fleshing out of the peripheral characters (which I don't mind, it's actually the best part of the show). I'd like to see more Czernobog.

It might also be because the Abrahamic god is more abstract, less iconography in general.

Jesus was at least "man" and people can more easily conceptualize that.

finaly a real answer that makes sense. Certainly would ruin the show. Tbh Mr world should be most powerful since everything we do on earth should be praise to him. living etc.

Aight. Jesuses would probably side with the new gods, what with televangelism and all, is my guess for S2. I've never read the novel.

yea but wouldnt that go to the technology god?

>Syria, Yemen, Somalia
This takes place in America. The gods exist in other parts of the world. He may be more powerful/different in those regions.

The Odin in Scandinavia has a different personality than the one we know in America.

more media. that's the new god pattern, they want all the other gods as subsidiaries to them.

u telling me the only reason the american odin exists cause a bunch of people who believed in odin moved to america?? if this is true this show just gets worse and worse the more i understand.

Televangelist is more media I think.

There may be Jesus on both sides

so every god is a Subsidiary of mr world then? they wouldnt exist without him then, so should praise mr world. shit show IMO

What about Catholic Jesus who is also god and has gods powers?

Wouldn't he exist in America? Wouldn't he be pretty powerful since all Catholics see him basically the same (Mexican/black Catholics mostly pray to fair skinned jesus).

Catholics are 22% of the population here so he'd be powerful.

exactly. no belief moves in the world without supply and demand, and mr. world is simply globalized supply-side economics

It is literally explained in the first scene.

Viking explorers brought him here when they arrived in America because they sacrificed to him while in America in order to have a favorable wind to return home.

The Vulcan god is a little more problematic as to how he got here. I doubt there were followers of old Greek mythology when they emigrated to the US. It takes actual belief to spawn them

So is he a jinn or some shit then? Why would he tell himself "I don't grant wishes" after being filled with spicy jizz?

He does exist, but when people pray they naturally imagine a Jesus like themself so you get multiples

So wait when they were praying to odin from homeland. he didnt respond they created a completly new seperate odin? fuck this show.

He is a jinn. They say it directly.

i think he means they switched lives, as in he now is a taxi driver. thats all they really switched not actual bodys.

Are there multiple versions new gods? Like a Japanese god of tech? Or just one

According to some of the fags posting in here. every country has its own god etc. shit show makes no sense. Basically a good idea stretched to far.

Garbage show.

No, they were praying to the Odin they knew but by sacrificing to him while in a new place they brought Odin to the new land.

It's really not that hard to grasp

ok so ur saying the odin from there homeland stoped existing or swaped to america and lived there and no longer lived in the homeland. are u reading what your saying? im not saying your wrong but it makes no fucking sense to me.

What show?

E-sport Korean Chad god and fat American e-sport "god".

this show?

The Mad Sweeney episode was better than the finale. Can't believe it was only 8 episodes.

He just moved and stayed there for whatever reason. Then another Odin sprung up I guess? This revelation of having duplicate gods is kind of dumb.

stop pretending already, your asspain is palpable as fuck.

the metaphysics works like this: they spawn more easily where belief is strongest.

burgerland is the number won warmonger of the times so the god of war likes living in burgerland

vulcan accepted a deal that tied belief in him to gunpowder and explosives, he likes to live where those two things are made in abundance

yes so basically its a shit show, with a great idea, stretched past the point of making sense. Style>substance.

How does that make no sense? Why would a japanese god be in america?

There are two. The one in the homeland continues to exist.

They are very different in the book.

He is Mr. Wednesday in America bc that is his only real form of influence here.

Each culture can imagine gods slightly differently and they have varying amounts of influence so different versions exist

Or it allows a direction where monotheism was made specifically to get rid of gods.

Billions of people praying for literally nothing, etc.

pretending to have a opinion? one different to you?
ok...

Each culture? wait so the vikings who went to america and summoned him dont have the same culture as the ones from homeland? or are u saying that americanz believe in odin lol...

>let me make it about how unique i am
lel asshurting intensifies

yes, along with probably their own old gods and spirits from folklore like kappa and shit that have given up and spend their days molesting schoolgirls on the train, like mad sweeney is a drunk irish stereotype.

But they are all different by appearance right?

The ONLY thing that is different about the jesuses are their appearance.

So if someone prays to the SAME god but in a different appearance a new god forms?

Thats so unbelievably stupid. How the fuck does anyone have the exact same version of a god. they would all differ

What happens if someone prays to odin with red hair in america? A red haired odin is created even though he is the exact same person as all of the other odins?