>characters get in a knife fight

>they hold the knives like pic related

Why do they do this? Looks so stupid

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tacticool

Cause if you stabbed the guy the regular way chances are he uses this downward grip into your head\neck and kills you.

Source: I am a knife fighter

The advantages to the Reverse Edge Out grip technique are many. First, unless the elbow is extended and locked straight, the blade cutting edge always faces the enemy, no matter where the hand is located (unless it's behind the knife user!). When the fist moves as in a cross punch, the blade and cutting edge can be raked across the enemy in a slashing motion. Second, like an ice pick, tremendous force can be brought to bear on the point, not only when oriented downward, but when an enemy is behind or beside. Third, the grip technique allows capping (shown in the photo at left) where the thumb (and thus force) is brought to bear on the butt of the knife handle, in this case at the rear bolster. This also increases the security of the knife grip. A fourth advantage of this grip technique is that the knife can be oriented with cutting edge to enemy even when guarding with the forearm. Many of my military clients prefer this grip technique built into their handles. A fifth advantage is that the "elbows bent" position that is usually assumed with this type of grip technique can be more powerful and defensive than an extended and reaching forearm, which is unprotected and may be easily trapped and fractured.

some pandillero guy told me it's so they can't take it away from you and to use your elbow as protection/to not let the other guy get too close to you

Can't be stabbed with it if you lose a grapple.

Because that's the way you're supposed to hold a knife faggot now watch these dubs

ya mean these dubs...
hehe

If you're in a knife fight, you shouldn't be slashing like a sword. A knife is a stabbing weapon. Holding it the regular way gives you more stabbing strength, you couldn't even produce a lot of slashing power holding it reverse anyway. The best way to knife fight is hold your knife the regular way, and use your other hand to grapple and other uses. Go for a full on stab, sinking the entire blade into the target. Slashing, especially when holding it in reverse, just throws you off balance and out of stance. Stay in stance, and look for your opening. Don't be wildly swinging your shit around.

pathetic, watch this

You are like little babies, watch this

Let me show you how it's done.

The same reason you take your shirt off in a fight.

FUCKING MANCHILD. THAT'S HOW YOU GET EM' AND CHECK EM'

this, is how you do it

>Full Stab
>Hyper extending your wrist
Nah, mate.

Like they say, there are no winners in a knife fight. One guy just dies on the way to the hospital instead of at the scene. Do not depend on a knife to save your life. It the absolute last of all the last resorts.

I bet you are one of those obese fellows with facial hair on neck who owns a fake katana.

Don't hyper extend your wrist dummy. Wait for your opening to close the gap and get all up in your opponents shit and put your whole arm/body strength behind your stab.

Pretty sure that's how you're supposed to knife fight. It's harder to disarm you and you can fight using normal fistfighting moves.

Pathetic. This is how it's done.

>Source: I am a knife fighter
Sure you are, kiddo. Sure you are.

>Second, like an ice pick, tremendous force can be brought to bear on the point, not only when oriented downward, but when an enemy is behind or beside.

absolutely pathetic, this is how you do it

How to Knife Fight
1. Throw your knife at your opponent
2. Run away

Best case your knife throw kills your opponent and you are successfully fleeing the scene.
Next best your knife throw injures your opponent and you successfully escape as they deal with their injuries.
Neutral case your knife throw does no damage and you successfully escape.
Worst case your knife throw does no damage and your opponent out runs you. At which point you take out your second knife and employ the same knife fighting strategy again. Repeat until you run out of knives or your opponent is dead.

ddubs !!

>stabbing in a downward motion
>letting your opponent get beside or behind you
You've already lost.

What a lousy thread. No dubs in sight. Jani please delete this thread

cutting yourself while you cry into your wifu pillow doesnt make you a knife fighter

Dubs

You fucked up

>summerfags don't have the dubs script
Now watch

I think the ideal knife fight is just fighting an opponent without a weapon, though in movies it usually means you just knocked away the protagonist's weapon and he's about to do some badass disarming maneuver on you

lol cant u guys dubs?

I'm gonna post some knife guys

also check these digits

How to Knife Fight
1. Carry a gun
2. Shoot the guy with the knife

tfw you can't get dubs

>looks so stupid

Tell that to his fucking face

>implying I wont just deflect the bullet with my blade

Checked

still waiting on my dubs

That's not a knife

this is how you hold a knife

nah this is the best technique

paaaaaahahahahaha

What is hyper extending of one's wrist?

___________5________

you grab them with one hand and repeatedly stab them with the other, thats how you use a knife. Its easier to hold it opposite of OP'S pic

krav maga does that because its more of a full-body thing but a normal knife fight is all about rapid stabs with a conventional grip

>brought to bear
Why are we giving the knives to a bear in this knife fight?

>Holding it the regular way gives you more stabbing strength
>As opposed to using both the full weight of your arms as well as the general direction of gravity

Motherfucker WHAT

knives are gay anyway

your way has less range, is slower, and not effective for lower body thrusts which is how a knife should be used. You grab them with one hand and thrust into the lower abdominal area preferrably the kidneys, also its more sneaky this way because its less obvious than wildly arching your arm back like a movie villain and approaching with your intentions clear, you can pull it out of your pocket and quickly thrust, its just better all around really

real men use swords

>More sneaky
Reeks of armchair, here

that's right

What does knife fighting consist of? Do you use butter knives or something

Not with a smallsword blade, they don't. Get a spadroon at least.

Hold something straight and try to make to parallel to your arm

it literally is. Pull a knife out of your pocket the normal way and then try the tryhard way. Its harder to draw because you have to akwardly move your arm and you can only do downward overhead thrusts which isnt as effective as going low with a knife.

Its obviously much easier to use the traditional way, its the way you always see. Go check out those "knife vs martial arts" videos on youtube and watch how the knifeman just rushes in, grabs him, and starts wildly stabbing with the traditional grip, thats how you use a knife.

impressive dubs

he was a fencer. he stabbed that one guy straight through the goddamn heart with lightning speed

While it is sneakier, it completely ignores the context of the thread. Hence your armchair status and why you should go back to the playground to argue which superhero would win in a fight.

You guys suck at this.

>all these different opinions

Which is the definitive way to hold a knife for defense? Help i have a knife fight later tonight

You gotta hold it like that to do the Avan Strash.

What the fuck

I'm sure Matt Easton has something for you youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/videos

In the hand of an actual man

So what you're saying is throwing knives and shuriken are your best bet for self defense using a knife?

Trips of truth. Bullet deflection confirmed.

nice

check em

A KILLING MACHINE

the context of this thread is holding the knife wrong, which is what youre doing 100% of the time holding it that way unless you are specifically trained in krav maga, which I doubt any of us are.

Dont be a retard, you can look up knife attacks, real or fake, and the knifeman always holds the knife properly, because knives are best used to attack the chest and body since the human guard is naturally high to protect the head and neck. That means you go under the arms, not over them, meaning you need a proper "underhand" grip.

When people use overhand grips its to attack high or to attack from a higjer position, like a guy guarding a wall from a ladder, or a phalanx hoplite poking over his shield.

Are going for dubs? Like these?

Different Styles for different purposes.
I've never been a fan of that grip, I prefer a traditional one where you pinch the knife between your forefinger and thumb right below the guard. Listen to this fine British soldier, he's knows a thing or two.
youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U

dubz get

my dude I was just posting wow. is this the best knife fight of all time?

Check'em

Okay, but what's the benefit of wielding a lightsaber backwards like Ahsoka Tano?

there isnt one you retard.

you people need to go look up a channel called "scholagladitoria" right now and stop being so stupid.

what a fucking autismal you are

>use your free hand for grappling and other uses
>just wait for your opening
>dude watch this youtube video, see im right

those are nice

>cant handle being wrong
>calls everyone else autistic

shut the fuck up dummy, you're wrong. accept it and move on.

Yes.

>getting in an argument in a dubsget/knife thread

GORLAMI

ARRIVIDERCHI DUBS

>he replied it must be the exact same poster
>theres no other way it could be anyone else on this anonymous summatran frog worshipping subreddit

>I'll abuse the obvious context of the premise
Ok. Knights used their knives for grappling and stabbing the "wrong" way.

>the sopranos scene where aj and his friend have this very same debate
and people say it isn't the greatest show of all time.

So you're just some other idiot spouting idiotic bullshit feeling unfairly targeted for his dumbassery?

Watch me not get dubs. Bam.

Also isn't there a whole section of 12 Angry Men about this and how seasoned knife fighters hold it blade down?