Question for semi-youngfags on Sup Forums: could you tell the SB season 4 episodes were rather lame when they came out...

Question for semi-youngfags on Sup Forums: could you tell the SB season 4 episodes were rather lame when they came out, even if you were still technically "a kid" at the time (by "kid" I mean like 9-12 - and that'd make you like 19-23 now before someone starts screaming "UNDERAGE")?

Everyone says that kids don't have discerning tastes if something is good or bad, but I dunno about that. Even as a kid, I felt that The Phantom menace was boring and not as exciting or interesting as the original trilogy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8Nz2cmCp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I started to lose interest in Spongebob when the wouldn't stop rerunning Squid Wood and The Thing. Those drove me crazy.

I was 12 when season 4 started airing and I enjoyed it for the most part. (I loved the Krusty Towers episode.) It wasn't until season 5 when I started to see the show as being shit.

24 now, and yes. I didn't outright hate it or anything, but I could definitely tell something was off.

I dropped spongebob after the indoors episode of season 3. I'd still watch reruns but if it was new I'd change channel

18 year old newfag here. After the best day ever episode in '06, I stopped watching new episodes.

I think the only episode I liked when I was younger was Skill Crane, only because I was obsessed with those things back then.

Nowadays, I think it was honestly the last good season. Not great, but it is watchable.

I just watched the new episodes with Stephen Hillenburg and Paul Tibbit. It was better but not that good.

season 4 was ok. not as good as season 3, but both 4 and 5 were fairly watchable.
and then it got worse.
a lot worse.
there was a summer i remember where squid wood played every fucking day.

Yeah, Squid Wood was persistent and ticked me off as it was the first of many "Squidward suffers for no reason" episodes. In fact, you can add Good Neighbors to that list.

On the other hand, Krabs vs. Plankton and The Lost Mattress were great. The scene with the choice cuts still gets me to this day.

yeah i'm not sure why the writers hate squidward so much now.

22 here, when season 4 came out I could tell that the writing and art style had changed, and the characters were acting differently. I loved Spongebob all through seasons 1-3 but I hated 4. Stopped watching between 4 and 5.

This and Atlantis Squarepants is what did it in for me.

I'm 20. Before the movie came out I didn't watch a lot of SpongeBob but if I did they were mostly reruns from early seasons. I stopped watching as soon the movie aired give that I thought it was the end of the line.

Caught a glimpse of later episodes later, and I was disgusted by the gross humor. what was up with that?

>Bowie as a guest star
>Was the only character in the episode who DIDN'T snig

19 here.

I specifically remember watching "Fear Of A Krabby Patty" when it aired and noticing the look and feel of it was different.
The humor had a little more punch and edge and I think that bothered me specifically in that episode. I also just thought the reason that the animation/artstyle looked new was because the episode was just new and I hadn't become familiar with it yet like I had with all of the older episodes.
Looking back on that episode now, I don't even think that was a bad episode at all, despite its weirdness.

I do remember watching "Krusty Towers" when it aired because it was right after the Kid's Choice Awards and it was really hyped up for some reason. After watching that episode I knew something was up. I didn't hate the episode or anything, but ever since then, in my brain I consider that the be the start of "New Spongebob".

The characters acted weird and the new character designs didn't fit.

It just felt off for some reason, and I didn't like it

I think Atlantis was the one that made me finally turn it off. It just felt so empty and meaningless.

what

24 here, the show seemed off, but the only thing that consciously made me go, "what the fuck is going on with this show" is when they started to have a song in like every episode. They were usually really bad, unfunny, and cringy

I don't remember when but at one point I really hated Spongebob as a character and I found Squidward's flanderized anger frustratingly repetitive

I remember that episode being spammed to hell on the channel. It also started the trend of episodes being hyped up in ads despite them being average episodes drawn out to a two episode length, followed by episodes like Have You Seen This Snail and the one Johnny Depp was in

Looking at 4's episodes I can tell that's where I started losing a lot of interest in the series. There was still some good shit like Krusty Towers, but stuff like All that Glitters just sorta weirded me out.

I think Best Day Ever was the last time I cared about Spongebob at all really. I've seen a few episodes from season 5, but not many and pretty much nothing past that.

atlantis squarepantis was a musical episode. david bowie voiced the king of atlantis. he didn't sing at all, despite being a main character in said episode.

It stopped being hilariously well-written so I stopped caring about SpongeBob Squarepants, and so should you.

I remember being pissed that shitty karate one was the number one elisode after that marathon

I stopped watching SB after the first movie (I was 12 then) because I fucking hated it and thought it wasn't funny at all.

I remember loving a lot of the episodes (To this day I still think Fear of a Krabby Patty is a top tier Spongebob episode) but I could tell full well a lot of it was mediocre. I didn't really want to watch a lot of it anymore.
10-11 year old me wasn't super impressed.
I still almost always watched specials though, for some reason.

The prequel trilogy is objectively superior to the OT.

You've always had shit taste.

Jar Jar>>>>>>Ewoks defeating 'an entire legion of my best troops'

>That fucking marathon
>Spend all day watching (mostly) great spongebob episodes
>It ends on Karate Island
>Best Day Ever episode is trash
One of the first times young me felt let down.

One of the first post-movie episodes that always stuck out to me was the one where they made a Mermaid-man movie. The episode has pretty good jokes for the most part, but the oddity is the part where Spongebob snaps and starts eating worms out of the ground. Aside from not being funny, it just stuck out so severely against he show's style of humor.

I remember not really ever liking Spongebob, but liking the movie when I saw it.
That's probably an indication that I mostly saw post-movie episodes.

I honestly don't feel like there were any shitty SpongeBob episodes until season 5.

Patrick got progressively stupider that season (forgetting his friend had given him a donut and losing his shit) and then he randomly started being a dick in some episodes (he freaks out on Sandy for getting fleas in a really assholish way).

>karate island
Fucking this. 18 year old fag here. I remember that one or the one where gary went missing that episode being very off. I wouldn't call myself a newfag though since i've been lurking for years and got to see the population shift after horses/mspa.

I was born in early 80's. I don't know what you are talking about and it's scary tome.

I know about the Atlantis episode but I didn't know Bowie was that big nosed thing

Yes. As soon as fear of a Krabby Patty came out I knew soemthign was off. THe animation and the humor were justnot as good asd they used to be.
Then, it quickly went downhill.

lol I remember it winning and spending a good while trying to justify it, watching it and saying "y-yeah this really is the best episode!!" I must've been 9 or 10 then

I think I gave up on Spongebob sometime during Season 5. I remember really liking a lot of season 4 back when it aired and I still think it's got a decent amount of good to great eps, but also a good amount of mediocre or just bad ones. None of the following seasons had as many good eps as S4

Was handsome Squidward season 5 or 4? That was the last time a new episode really made me laugh.

Forgot to add, I really wonder if Karate Island did actually get the most votes or not. Probably not, right? But it's such a weird episode to place as number 1 if it didn't win on its own

Greenblatt was the only one making an effort to keep SpongeBob watchable during season 4. I'd say the show officially went downhill when he left.

Dunno how the seasons work but i distinctly remember a sharp downturn in quality after the movie.

I remember being all excited for that. What a let down.

Only good post-movie song:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8Nz2cmCp0

This.
Dunces and Dragons was the last special that was worth it

When I was young this song legit made me cry. I was a bitch back then

I noticed something was off right away.
Two jokes stick out in my mind.
When the Flying Dutchman loses his hip and falls down a cliff hitting some rocks and then a basketball hoop.
And in the episode where Spongebob becomes afraid of Krabby Patties and plankton is playing the psychiatrist.
He puts Spongebob under hypnosis and can't bring him back out trying lots of loud things.
Then he says "what else is obnoxious and annoying?" and pulls out a cell phone that does a little jingle.

Something about the inclusion of that basketball hoop and cellphone just felt off.

Fuck I sound like a rambling autist.

The idea of Atlantis Squarepantis was alright. I think it's biggest problems were
>1. Nick overhyped it in the advertising
>2. It should've just been a 20 minute episode instead of a hour long special
You would think that a musical episode with different animation styles could be neat. It's just that that wasn't what Nick was advertising the special as and beyond them being in Atlantis, there was little in the way of plot until near the end. Like it seriously had no business being an hour long.

Now that episode was really good.

yeah pretty much.
the wishing well is the only good season 4 episode, but yeah it was extremely noticeable.
also it's still funny the running joke that anyone over the age of 15 uses Sup Forums.

About halfway through is when I lost interest. I can remember all the episodes at the start and they were great, but then I start to remember them out of order, so I guess I just didn't watch it as often.

I also remember it being the start of the Gimmick Half Hour Specials, such as Fear of the Krabby Patty, Lost in Time (which spawned some great Burger King Toys), and Best Day Ever.

What surprises me the most is that SquidBob is from this season, when I feel like it came out around the same time as Freeze Fuck. But that may be due to my mind associating the Cronenberg Twist ending with the Horror of the recent seasons.

I haven't paid attention to the new Hillenburg episodes, because I'm currently only watching old shows on KissCartoon and Netflix.

Also, born in 97 to get a measure of how old I was when Season 4 was on, not that I remember.

Fuck off, Sup Forums

Was this the first episode that used the ugly new artstyle? It seems familiar. It reminds me of the Simpsons tennis episode.

In retrospect, that's actually the best post-movie episode