Lane Pryce did nothing wrong

Does anyone have any idea why this guy's death was so downplayed?
We barely see people's reaction to it and the characters seldom talk about it in later seasons. We also don't get to know Don's feelings about it, although i have the impression he put that behind quite easily.
He was pretty important in the agency and quite close to Joan, which looks to be the only character that really cared about his suicide. Other than that, the people from the agency were shocked at first but that was it.
Also Mad Men thread, i guess

I know what you mean but the ending to that episode where Don comes home and instead of telling Megan anything he just drives that kid home and then let's him drive was really good.

I'm not saying it was bad, just unsatisfying. I personally grew to like Lane a lot and had hopes of seeing a funeral at least. Not much attention is given to the event and i felt that was done on purpose.

well to be fair we were a lot closer to Lane than the other people in his office. Aside from Joan the only other person he has any kind of connection with is Don and that's mostly from one night of partying. Mad Men handles a lot of typical soap opera tropes (deaths, fights) with a kind of detachment (for lack of a better word) and they similarly tried to portray his death without a lot of melodrama.
I also think the sad fact is that they simply weren't that close to him and stopped thinking about him once time passed. one exception is Don finding that baseball pennant years later though

Cute Lane poops in Dumbledores's hand

What?

The baby is Lane

The guy is his father

yea i think that was somewhat the point of his character, he was kind of an outsider in the office but we get a view of his home life and all the moments he has with each person in the office, kind of drives home the loneliness of the character when we can see him as a fully fledged person but no one else got the chance to. i found him very likeable and i watch everything the actor appears in.

the scene where Joan can't get through the door and they all realize what has happened is amazing. it's hard to describe but just the way Joan tries to sound calm with the fear in her voice, then Harry and Pete standing on the couch and looking through in horror. such a harrowing scene and they don't even show the body yet

And the father played Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter films

Started through my second watch of the series, halfway through Season 3 so far.

Christ, I didn't remember that Don and Betty spent this long married. I seemed to recall that they got divorced earlier in the series.

Other impressions so far:
They spend a lot of time shitting on Pete before they actually do anything redeeming with his character.
Peggy is more fickle in the earlier seasons than I remember, which makes it more satisfying when she becomes more confident as the series progresses.
Really just waiting for that episode where everyone in the office gets shot up with speed and Don hallucinates that Cooper is still alive.

>Really just waiting for that episode where everyone in the office gets shot up with speed and Don hallucinates that Cooper is still alive

Those are two different episodes from two different seasons.

They killed the character off because Matt Weiner pissed off pretty much all the other show runners at AMC. Basically when AMC slashed Walking Dead budget to next to nothing AND threatened the final season of Breaking Bad over its budget, the show runners on this two shows found out Weiner was not being made to take a budget cut AND was even demanding MORE MONEY to pay for Beatles songs and other expensive shit for the show.

So Weiner was ordered to kill a character off to placate the show runners on the other shows, to reflect that he was not except from AMC demanding their shows cut their production costs.

Yes well done, Lane. However

>It's a Don gets drunk episode

So.. Every episode?

no

i did some googling, but it seems like Weiner got everything he wanted in terms of budget

Who saw Baby Driver here? Hamm's great, especially to MM fans probably.

Anyway he did a lot wrong, he could have gotten Don and the company into a shitload of trouble. Don was nice to not involve the authorities. I loved Lane too, but he made his own fate. And the look at the empty chair and a fleeting mention or two was all Weiner wanted, he mentions it in commentary, that they just *dont* deal with his death and choose to try to forget it. I think bc it's an ominous sort of possibility for them, Don, Peggy, Roger w/ his heart etc that the firm will kill them too.

it's the typical 'high strung business commits suicide' deal

they feel sad about it, but in their world, it's probably not that rare

He was just anadda belta loada

bump

Yet Burt Peterson kept on truckin'

BUMP

Lane tried to be a slick American playboy like Don but failed miserably. He also tried the Don thing of trying to get away with unsavory behavior (the Christmas bonus) but like every person who emulates Don on this they fail and get punished.