...why do we despise this? It's true, hard sci-fi

...why do we despise this? It's true, hard sci-fi.

Other urls found in this thread:

arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>we
Newfag is new

Old Han Solo, gay subtext, generic cgi. Yuck

Terrible

it was way too short and didn't explain a lot of things. based on just the movie, how is the audience supposed to believe a kid who is really good at space laser tag supposed to be the savior of humanity?

I didn't know that guy from hell's kitchen starred in movies

It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen

the book is kino

>no 12 year old Petra pusy

Wait, I was supposed to hate this? I really enjoyed it.

I watched like Ford acted.

He truly represented me.

How does Asa Butterfield keep getting work? Every film he's been in has bombed, no matter who the director is.

I think they were just trying to show he was a capable commander and knew how to lead his troops despite overwhelming odds.

I just want to see lanklet Bean running around on Earth I could not give less of a shit about Ender

Ender is the ultimate mary sue of all time

they should call them Enders

underage B&

Am I the only one who enjoyed Speaker for the Dead as much if not more than Ender's Game?

>Ender is the ultimate mary sue of all time
some people have a far higher IQ than others. Some have almost retard IQ. This is a proven scientific fact

Ender displays sheer intelligence, not Mary Sue like behaviors

there should've been more scenes in high school that showcase his talents. and again in space training.
i never got the feel this kid was some sort of tactile military genius.
also earth should've been shown in shambles pouring all it's resources into training soldiers/school/etc.

>generals searching for the child to be thier ultimate tactical genious savior

what is something that will never happen ever

the book is a wet dream for the fragile egos of children and if you buy it it means you are one

Hard SF? No. It's nerd wish fulfillment. Embarrasingly obvious nerd wish fulfillment.

t. low, low IQ

This. Ender's Game is just more YAshit

Definitely like speaker more as I get older, and xenocide isn't bad either, though it has problems.
Never realized until recently how enders game spans a decade over the bulk of the story, but both speaker and zenocide both takeplace over a few days (with a 40 year time skip between books.

>we

I've never even heard of this

It was a pretty good movie.

It was a really awful adaptation.

>ender's game
>hard sci-fi

oh user

It wasn't BAD, really. Better than marveh schlock or disney star wars

In the 90s it would have been bad though

Speaker For the Dead is amazing.
The ending with Formic Queen hatching is beautiful.
It's a shame the last two books were so over written.

>hard sci fi
Not to say that soft sci fi is bad or anything, but just because Ender's Game isn't as fantastic as most sci fi media doesn't make it hard sci fi. By that logic Star Trek is hard sci-fi as well.

I hated how all the tactics he did in space training he reused for the actual battles.

Space training was supposed to REVEAL his tactical genius. I wanted to see post-training Ender do some crazy next level shit that makes his training tactics look like childs play.

Movie also did bad job of showcasing how hard they were over working him and the buildup of stress within him

Movie could have been better

What even is supposed to be the point of the laser tag? They're training them like infantry when infantry is obsolete. It's completely worthless training.
This. The movie has similar themes but it discards a lot of them.
The movie is pretty hard. There's no fantastical tech other than the ansible.
>Movie also did bad job of showcasing how hard they were over working him and the buildup of stress within him
This made the book deeper but much darker and depressing. Whereas the film is pretty comfy.

Its the problem with adapting a novel into a screenplay. Ender is advanced quick as fuck, but hes still at battle school for years. The movie is too condensed because it has to fit a run time, and it seems like they tried to be as faithful as they could. But thats the problem, it just skips from plot point to plot point without really doing that good of a job illustrating the internal conflict ender has. The whole time I was watching the movie I couldn't help but think I was "holy shit I'm glad I read the book."
They should have gone with the short story the novel came from; where he's already in command of battle schools, and the buggers are just some vague "enemy." It's a bit more streamlined and would translate better to a screenplay.

>tfw the book it is based on was actually written just as a character building piece for the "real" book that followed, but everyone loved the first book more

>What even is supposed to be the point of the laser tag? They're training them like infantry when infantry is obsolete. It's completely worthless training.
They're learning how to orient their tactics and thinking in three dimensions instead of the 2.5 that were used to dealing with as terrestrial mammals.
Also flying around in zero g, zapping at eachother with lasers is basically space combat.
Also the whole point of battle school was to hide the fact that the fleet had been sent in secret to the bugger planets 50 years ago and was getting ready to arrive any day now.
Command school is where they train them in real fleet tactics and operations. For anyone except their hypothetical wonderkid they would graduate, be put in charge of a ship, and placed into the regular fleet.
When they find their general they would have put him on a ship and flown circles around the solar system at light speed until the fleet arrived.
They never found that guy, ender was their last chance, so they pretty much broke their whole apparatus to test him and force him through in time to be their military commander.

Hard as Card's dick on little boys?

I get that, but it would've made significantly more sense for them to play sims, and not spend all the time getting good at laser tag just to learn tactics.
There seemed to be more than a little gayness/pedoness in the book desu. Why didn't his editor tell him that that shit was weird?

This is one of those movies that would have greatly benefited form being split into two, mostly so the kid actors could grow up IRL. It felt like the kid went from zero to hero within a week. They needed it to pace it so that it felt like more time had passed.

>It's true, hard sci-fi.

In the book they don't have FTL, but in the movie they do. Explain that.

I saw it in the cinema and thought it was pretty decent, but it wasn't as believable that he was just playing a simulation as the book. Moving to full visuals instead of just green and red icons worked against it.
The lack of dialogue between Ender and the queen at the end was also a strange choice.
Valentine a qt

the main character is one of the worst actors ive ever seen

it really isn't that different from the book apart from the proto-internet subplot on earth and the fact that the bully character was a short indian guy instead of an intimidating tall guy.

It just doesn't work as well on screen, things can't be translated from page to the screen. For instance the whole videogame sequence is just weird in the movie even though it's pretty much the same as in teh book where it works a lot better.

The ending was complete fucking garbage
>aliens disintegrate a third of the earths population
>Oh shit son WE are the real bad guys here XDDD

It really did feel short. I'm not sure how they could've shown the passage of time without getting new actors or filming it over years.
There's no FTL in the movie, just the ansible, same as the book.
Nah he's alright.
I don't think Bonzo was ever described in the book, other than being Hispanic, same as the movie.
The entire story is about miscommunication. The Formics didn't know the humans were thinking individuals, and the humans didn't know that about the Formics either.

>implying FTL is le impossible soft sci-fi concept

we will be shitting up other planets with our EM drives soon IRL

arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

What did they think humans were?

In the book, Command School is on a distant asteroid within our solar system. In the movie Command School is on another planet in another system.

EM drives aren't FTL.

i really enjoyed the book but i heard they ditch war tactics and strategyi in the sequels in favor of politicking?

sounds lame desu

This plus the fact that they cut his siblings side plot out. His brother and sister basically conquer earth while he is away and he is better than them. Plus a bunch of other small things they had to cut out from the book

To them killing a human was like killing one of their drones, ultimately meaningless. Only killing a queen was seen as evil. So they assumed the humans they first met in space were just drones and there were some human queens to communicate with on Earth.

They thought humans were like them, where there's only a few intelligent queens controlling the unthinking soldiers and everyone speaks telepathically. In wars between them they never killed queens since that was effectively murder. They didn't know humans were all thinking individuals and that they communicated with language.
They never implied it was FTL, although it not being kinda complicates things.

were there actual people in ender's ships or were they all drone controlled?

There were people. The movie explicitly says that.

Real people, in the book he had to give orders via comms. It's why it was such a big deal that he was willing to sacrifice a zillion ships to nuke the planet at the end.

He didn't know that they had pilots until after he won.

Tfw I dragged my girlfriend to this because Ender's Game is one of my favorite books and she loved it while I hated every single thing but the designs.

It's a very pretty movie, but it's very poorly adapted.

>read Enders shadow first and like it as a kid
>read Enders game and got the same feel
>read speaker for the dead and hated it in the same year
>decade later reread speaker for the dead and xenocide completely and enjoyed them
>halfway through children of the mind I gave up since it was so shit
It just got so cheesy and kept throwing shit on that I knew they wouldn't be able to explain (i.e. The creators of the virus). My dad says the prequels/concurrent novels are good so I've added them to my list

In the direct sequels yes but the Bean spinoff are alright and have more war strategy stuff.

What are the prequels and sequels like compared to Ender's Game?

I didn't see the movie, but did they have that subplot of Enders brother and sister taking over the government with political blogs? That shit was stupid

Enders shadow is basically Enders game, but from beans point of view, plus it shows his childhood. I like it more than Enders game, though he is a Mary Sue. The sequels aren't as easy to read but they delve more into complex issues, especially religion (keep in mind the writer is fairly christian). They are drier for sure but it will potentially get you thinking about moral situations while the first books are more read for fun.
I've never read the prequels, but I've heard they're a good combo of both

Nope, which is for the best. That aspect really didn't age well, even in the book.

Boring movie, the bug invaders is a very overdone concept, the training process doesnt bring anything interesting, bland main character, the final battle was just to make the super duper laser ownpwnager getting near enough to shot, I would aside with Arrival among other movies,as a collection of insipid sci fi movies

ok without looking anything up, from what i was told, ender and his older siblings are all super smart (modified i dont know) and oldest brother is bloodthirsty and sister is to kind and ender is neutral

The best part about the ending was that he was tricked into doing the battle rather than a simulation.

Boring simulation or battle, eitherway

They say in the books the buggers though humans were like them and viewed killing non queens as clipping finger nails. In the first war it was just a bugger exspansion, in the second war they thought they were colonizing an abandoned hive. When rackham killed the queen, the buggers realized each human thinks individually and were permantely backing off to find a way to communicate with humans. Unfortuanetly, humans said "fuck yeah humanity" and destroyed then

It whould be great if david lynch directed it

same
I enjoyed it multiple times

They dont have the family aspect in the short story, but yes. Earth had been on a permanent wartime economy since the first war, and for at least the last two generations people couldn't legally have more than 2 kids unless sanctioned by the government. Peter and Valentine were really close to what they needed, but not quite. One was too compassionate and the other was a psychopath. They sanctioned a third hoping to get a mix of the two, and they did.
Peter grows up to become the president of earth.

Harrison phone it in big time from what I remember.

I only enjoyed it mostly because my expectations were rock bottom. I honestly believed the book was impossible to adapt ever since I finished it back in 2000.

>It's true, hard sci-fi.
#TRIGGERED

nope. the first book was based on a short story he wrote for a magazine, then his wife advised him to trot out the character again for speaker. the last chapter of ender's game was added later as a bridging device.

Ford didn't look like he wanted to be in this movie at all. Also Hailee Should really fire her fucking agent.

We're we supposed to find the 5'0 tall wop intimidating?

>why do we despise this?
>It's true, hard sci-fi
You've answered your own question.

>...why does Sup Forums despise this?
I'm pretty sure even normies thought this movie was shit.

Normalfags hated it because muh anti-gay politics or something. There was a massive boycott because the author offended a bunch of SJWs.

>>generals searching for the child to be thier ultimate tactical genious savior
>what is something that will never happen ever

They already do this. It's called military academies and the ROTC.

In Ender's Game the earth was ruled by a military junta, so they treated the planet's education system as their officer recruiting system.

>Real people, in the book he had to give orders via comms.
>He didn't know they had pilots until after he won.
Who did he think he was talking to over the comes? Was Ender an idiot?

>muh anti-gay politics
I don't remember this part... Were they just mad that the author of the book was Mormon and thought homosexuality was wrong?

>FTL communication
>hard sci-fi

lmao

He was a child, and wasn't able to grasp that he was being conned by cynical adults. As a child only educated in war games wouldn't know about psychological profiling, or understand his empathy would make him less effective in actual combat. Much less that adults would be planning around this.

They told him it was a simulation that was voice-directed for realism

>His brother and sister basically conquer earth while he is away

how does this happen?

Blogging. Literally.

False online personalities combined with genius politicking/writing

Peter's tumblr posts actually made him the equivalent to president of Earth

This needed to be a tv series on HBO, not a movie. Too much content to cram into 2 hours like that.

Why did they change Eros for some alien planet with evil spires everywhere and shit

laser tag should've been cut a bit shorter and the space sim at the last should've been longer
would've made more sense in how he suddenly knew how to command a fleet
but alas that's the drawback of adapting a book into a movie, things will get cut and some will just get abandoned all together

I like how ender's game is probably one of the main reasons we got an unrestricted internet.

Same reason all the human space stations were just flat with star-trek brand fake gravity. They didn't have the money to make it look decent.

I know it's a joke but come on now, they didn't just decided to start a blog randomly they went on to forums and samefagged extremely hard to bait for replies

The acting, especially from the main kid, completely fucking sucked

They did namefag with two primary accounts so they would have identities to claim when the the time came to seize power. "Locke" was his brother's.

They literally did start a blog though. It's just their blog was only one of a very small number of allowed blogs.

>ywn shitpost your way to global hegemony

>tfw there was no game