Why is the manga industry much more successful than the comic industry?

Why is the manga industry much more successful than the comic industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F1vrdtyLPjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're anthologies, cheap, and sold pretty much everywhere.

How can people even enjoy most comics when there's always so many different artists and writers.

Japanese culture is far different than US culture

They read because of the characters, not the creators
It's an industry entirely supported by 'I saw this character in a movie, guess I'll pick up a comic,' and hoping 5% of those people are still around by issue 10.

This is pretty embarrassing honestly family. smdh.

Can we ban these threads? Its just a bunch of weaboos shitposting and they never lead to any sort of discussion or argument

Fundamentally, because Japan has higher population density and better public transit, so manga never abandoned convenience sales at newsstands and the like to go full direct market the way American comics did.

I dunno, given that there's actual numbers, I'd be curious if there's a reason.
Granted, it'd be better if they were in the same region, because if these are both America, and the best-selling comic is below the 19th best selling manga, that's sad.

first post is the main reason

This may sound like shitposting, but when i first got into comics i felt the same way. The fact that the artstyles changed so frequently, between the same characters weirded me out.

How is that a bad thing?

>They read because of the characters, not the creators
I used to be this way, for about 3 months.

>that's sad

oh look is the weaboo is still shitposting!

Keep going man, at the end of the day more people enjoy comic book characters in multiple forms.

The Dark Knight alone probably has made more than ALL anime live action films put together.

People don't know who the fuck Saitama despite being really popular among weabos but they know damn well who The Penguin or the Riddler is.

And last but not least, people don't think that you are a lesser man for liking comic books as much as they think that you are a lesser man for liking manga.

Ita disorientating when you try to transfer from manga where the author and artist stay the same through the entire run

Because they have a specific storyline to tell, complete the storyline and end it. There are no reboots or less talented writers adding unnecessary stuff to the story.

Because people really like Manga over there in Japan. It's more accepted. Meanwhile here, you have a passionate but small group that loves comics while a large group pretend to read them but they only skim wikias and watch adaptations

God you sound butthurt. I cant tell if you are serious or not. If you are it is painful to watch

Nah, I'm pretty sure that's not true.

You gotta see it like this.

Comic books are like a great meal while manga is like junk food.

Comic books had a lot of different art styles just like great meal has a ton of nutrients in the same meal, so youur body/brain knows what to do with all those nutrients/art styles

While Manga is just about opening the bag that says Chips/muh fetish and from that point on is eating without thinking.

>It's more accepted.
In no way, shape or form is this true.

Diamond and the CCA. The answer to any question about why the comics industry is the way it is boils down to those two things.

>God you sound butthurt.

Avengers 1: 1.5 billion dollars.

Dragon Ball Z battle of the gods, about a 100 million dollars.

And I loved that movie while hating Avengers

>All western comics are like the big 2

That's bullshit and you know it, there are plenty of series in the west that have beginnings, middles and ends.

>Detective Conan still selling that much

Holy fuck.

Because they got their shit slapped by nukes and there was little to no entertainment besides manga and with no Comics code authority to fuck it up it was able to have a wide variety of genres that kept people interested even into aulthood.

I could care less about the sales argument, i am pointing out you sound like you are in an uncontrolable rage and it is painful to read

It is.

user, I'm not even a weeb, I'm looking at the numbers.
And if they both cover the same geographical area (which I can only assume they don't), then the fact that Black Panther, the #1 Best Selling Western comic was beaten by magna's #19 Best Seller, and by 5K copies, IS sad. Something should be done about that, especially if the problem is one with distribution, as many people in this very thread speculate.

>All manga share the same art style

Hilarious

Its not. I lived there for four years, i can assure you the average comic book neckbeard is seen much more positively here than a manga otaku is there.

Sure you have.

Not that guy, but the higher sales are just because "geek culture" is larger over there. Manga and anime are still seen as being for freaks, they just have more shut-ins to support those industries.

I went to college there at akita university.

Otaku should just all die desu

>There are no reboots or less talented writers adding unnecessary stuff to the story.

At the same time there are like a billion manga books that follow the exact same tropes despite being ''different'' titles.

>Its a story about a loser that wants to get a girlfriend and somehow a lot of hot girls start fighitng over his heart!

Which anime is this?

>Its about a young boy falling in love with his childhood friend!

Which anime is this?

>Is about a boy with a one of a kind super power that not many people have, then people with that same power start appering but that's ok because the boy is like a genious at using that power! He is capable of learning in DAYS stuff that took YEARS for more experienced people to learn!

Which anime is this?

>Its a story about a man that brings hope to people by-

SUPERMAN, obviously.

Same could be said about comics desu

>At the same time there are like a billion manga books that follow the exact same tropes despite being ''different'' titles.
Couldn't that be said about comics too?

>Attack on Titan live action:

Not even 80 millions at the box office.

Batman and Robin, the worst comic book movie ever:

over 600 millions at least.

Why is manga so ignored by mainstream audiences?

youtube.com/watch?v=F1vrdtyLPjU

No it can't. Superheroes are similar but the worlds they inhabit are not. Unlike manga where every fucking one is the same

>>Its a story about a man that brings hope to people by-
>SUPERMAN, obviously.
That applies to way more than Superman.

The sad thing about the American comic industry is that it COULD be great and it COULD match or even outdo the Japanese, but it's so goddamn obsessed with gimicks and milking and resurrecting the same franchises that it just can't become good.

Have you seem most mangas and animes out there?

Everything looks like Attack on Titan levels of generic when it comes to human characters.

One Punch Man is great and even that has some shit generic pretty boys and girls that look like every other manga character

Yes it can, you're just being nitpicky.

Simple. Anime tries to please one group of people. Their fans.

Comics try to appease 4 different groups and end up with a mess on their hands.

Comics try to appeal to old fans, new fans, collectors and soc jus people at the same time.

This leads to hilarious catch-22's where they can't shut down old line of comics because the old fans like them, so they start new comics for the new fans and collectors, however the collectors want more 1st editions(and the companies are happy to sell them since 1st editions sell a lot more copies than anything else) so they need to either reboot or splinter off further comics.

This leads to alienating new fans who now have no idea where to start as you have 4 semi identical lines of comics, all at different places(maybe at issues 984, 67, 12 and 3) and there's no easy way of telling which ones you should be reading.

Then to try and tie all this together they do big events which force people to buy comics they don't want to read to get the whole story, which just annoys everyone and leads to having to reboot everything.

However this doesn't end up helping since the soc jus crowd won't let minorities be killed off or discontinued without crying racism/sexism, the old crowd won't let their favorrites bediscontinued or killed without crying boycotts and the new fans are driven away because they just got told that in order to follow the adventures of Commodore A, they need to also buy Princess Power #21, Lamp man #17 and Disco Duck #34 and they don't want to do any of that shit.

Meanwhile anime keeps one story, bringing in or retiring characcters as needed. Usually keeps everything in one line of books and doesn't worry about collectors or soc jus.

So they put out a more consistanly better product and their fans love and read it.

It's really not hard.

You're talking movies, user. I know that we like to talk about adaptations a lot on Sup Forums, but for the purposes of this argument, they're irrelevant.

For all the bitching about /tv on this board we sure do fall back on it when we have to talk about Japanese comic books.

Man the Japs are a bunch of fucking normie plebs

Also it helps that the Japanese don't give a shit about the SJW's. Goddamn has that helped their industry. Like holy fuck theres not even a comparison.

Not at all.

If we compare ORIGINAL properties in comic books like Saga, Invincible, Madman, Walking Dead or some other shit, you get really original stuff.

While you take an entire genre like shounen and shoujo and the stories are all the same shit despite being original titles.

Its like, when a comic book writter is hired to write batman, he writes batman but if he is allowed to do something original his mind will fly and create something original.

Then you hire a manga artist to make Batman, he makes Batman, then you hire him to make something original, he still makes batman

Superman is the go to character when it comes to hope.

Because there are too many fucking weebs.

Movies are succesful because the characters are popular.

Manga movies are not because only weaboos know about them.

Is pretty relevant.

>While you take an entire genre like shounen and shoujo and the stories are all the same shit despite being original titles.
So like when you take capes and it's all just the same shit? You are aware that shoujo and shonen are not the only two genres right?

You only think manga are all the same because you don't read any and are only exposed to the normalfag garbage that gets posted here like One Piece or Hero Academia.

Just like any newfag in comics could think everything is just about superheroes.

I think in Japan they just call them "Japanese teenagers"

We need to nuke them again.

>Movies are successful because the characters are popular.
GOTG and Ant-Man prove that your wrong. No one outside of nerds knew who they where before the movies.

I dont know where you heard that but it's not true at all. We're basically sister nations in all regards.

Manga is dumb, watered down and appeals to manchildren that don't enjoy intelectual challenges.

So is dumb enough for people to understand most manga but smart enough for them to feel like adults while watching it.

But then the most popular anime right now is Sword Art Online which is beyond shit, so that goes to show that the audience for most manga is like the same audience for Justin Bieber or Kim Kardashian stuff but in comic form

>Saga

stopped reading

>But then the most popular anime right now is Sword Art Online
>

I didn't know Sup Forums was this misinformed.

>Not all manga is the same!!!
>posts some generic looking shit about time travel that looks like every other manga out there.
>original

is this bait, weaboo kun?

Hollywood superhero movies are successful because of all the shilling and marketing, very few of them are actually good.

It is pretty sad watching Sup Forums talk about Sup Forums. It makes you realize everyone is a normie in some regard.

>GOTG and Ant-Man

Even low tier characters like those have more money than MOST live action anime/manga shit.

I bet that Ant-man alone did more than the latests Samurai X and Attack on Titan movies.

Why is manga so pathetic that even Ant-man does better?

Try harder.

lol

>marvel reboot so people can jump easy with no understanding

>nu52 isn't to make things easier for casuals or anything.

yet they still sell like shit compared to manga

>because of all the shilling and marketing

Too bad that most manga is about dudes wanting to fuck preteen girls or their sisters or some shit.

Really hard to market.

Even a mainstream piece of shit like anime like Sword Art Online is about preteens dating and incest shit

Another Sup Forums vs Sup Forums thread? This is getting desperate at this point now.

Also, I'm pretty sure manga IS comics.

See Short answer: Jews.

Because casuals love Marvel

>normie
>Usually happy.
>Very social.
>Steady job.
>Sex life pretty active surrounded with people alike.

Sign me up.

Marvel's dominance over DC has literally proven this is bullshit. GotG blew Superman out of the fucking water.

How about, before this circle-jerk continues, someone post comic vs. manga sales for the same region? We can argue regional differences until the heat death of the friggen universe, but let's get some numbers!

>''M-manga is really original!!!''
>keeps posting generic looking shit.

what

>Absolute shit taste
>The post
this person can vote. Probably.

>All these analy devastated comic book fags ITT

Because Attack on Titan is garbage that combines the worst elements of shounen with poorly applied edge while Ant-Man had humor and a sense of genuine fun and creativity, unlike the rest of the recent fruits from that despicable tree that is capeshit

>Comic books are like a great meal while manga is like junk food.

>Comic books are like a great meal

>thrifty publishing practices
>widespread distribution
>creators aren't liberal faggots inserting politics where they don't belong
>stories and characters appeal to multiple demographics

It has NOTHING to do with it.

The difference is because one is a culture with a tradition to read their productions and buy it, also the fact that you can pick a manga up on anywhere, instead of going to a comic Shop.

Its acesibility AND a culture to actually read comics.

Unlike superior western comics which is about women wanting to fuck preteen boys

>How about, before this circle-jerk continues, someone post comic vs. manga sales for the same region?

That's pointless, those numbers never mean actual sales, just orders for stores for the most part.

What we should bring out is which characters are known by mainstream audiences.

For example, people know a lot about Wonder Woman while they don't know shit about Full Metal Alchemist or even recognize Evangelion characters or One Piece

And those are among the biggest mangas in history.

You can talk sales all you want but it doesn't matter if nobody outside weeb audiences know about your characters/titles

Watchmen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Berserk.

That's more of a problem with America being creatively bankrupt. Japan doesn't really need to milk their manga franchises like America does with comics, they barely have a movie industry to begin with.

Idk, maybe the public doesn't care about some characters because they already know almost everything about them.
When I started reading comics i didn't really gave a fuck about mainstream capeshit because i already know the character motivations and i know that they aren't going to change the status quo of the series.
Manga really gives the sense of a dynamic world while comics feel like a revolving cast of living archetypes on different variations and permutations of certain characteristics of the main story (the main character is evil now, the villains team up, etc) that ultimately go back to the status quo (the main character was being controlled by the villain, etc).

I don't defend manga because the industry is shit on other aspects, but at least when you read One Piece you know that the actions can change the world, while on comics you know that Superman will save the day and everything will turn back to normal (even if someone dies, the writers will use the lame excuse of 'lol wacky multiverse shenanigans')

Honestly? Who the fuck cares? Why can't we just like what we like? Does it really matter?

>people know a lot about Wonder Woman

Poorly phrased.

People don't know SHIT about Wonder Woman. Yeah, they know who she is, but they know nothing about her, her rogues gallery, or anything particularly deep about her.

>What we should bring out is which characters are known by mainstream audiences.

Now we're just arguing over the definition of "success".

I hate to admit it, but you're right. At least Watchmen ended.

Your example is retarded and you know it.

Better than retarded Gurren something with 13 years old fighting in a thong because that's how their powers work.

Retarded as fuck

>Why is the manga industry much more successful than the comic industry?

Manga's pertain and shill to their fans and their established fanbase. There's a certain consistency and reliability that Manga fans look towards mangas that isn't found in western comics.

One piece has been in print since 1997. One piece has been going hard with the same characters, the same story, the same world, with no retcons no parallel fucking dimensions, etc.. etc.. FOR 19 YEARS.

Western Comics lack consistency, they also lack integrity (as funny as that is to say) since western comics often at times try to take themselves "seriously" via becoming political and or they drastically shift their content in an attempt to target another fanbase.

Western Comics and Manga both have their "gimmicks" but Western comics will interrupt themselves in real time to introduce gimmicks into their stories or comics so they can attempt to make themselves more marketable.
If a Manga does a "gimmick" they'll usually revolve their entire world/story around it to the point where their gimmicks are more like genres.

This sort of thinking doesn't apply to "all" comics & mangas of course, but it's just whats going on at the moment.

Gurren Lagann was stupid as fuck and it reveled in it. If you want to comment on something, explore it more fully than just entry level dogshit.

>The ability of the artist and writers to put out a product people want to buy in the comic industry is unimportant.
>What is important is the ability of Hollywood to shill the living fuck out of butchered adaptations which never end up flowing back to the industry from which those ideas came from.

Half of everyone in this thread thinks all western comics are capeshit. The rest thinks all manga is shounen trash. This board is the fucking worst.

Everyone knows the best manga is comedy romance

the point is that they don't know shit about her and yet they are like hardcore fanboys if we compare what they know about her vs really fucking popular manga like FMA, SAO, etc

>Now we're just arguing over the definition of "success".

>Superman is being around for about 80s and counting

>Most Manga titles are forgoten a year after they end.

Which sounds more succesful?