So, what are your thoughts with the growing trend of "modernized" reboots?

So, what are your thoughts with the growing trend of "modernized" reboots?

Comics also included

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eO_CmTds74w
nerdist.com/voltron-legendary-defender-netflix-cast-release-date-showrunner-interview-dreamworks-animation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just intends how it's done.

There's nothing wrong with innovating and modernizing a previous franchise, as long as it doesn't forget or ignore its roots.

>intends

Fuck...

*depends

if by modernizing you mean removing all the white men?

>the only white dude is the comic relief australian stereotype

Was this written by some butthurt otherkin from tumblr?

Dunno why they're so against having a white dude in the main roster of pilots

The only white men in GoLion were aliens.

real talk, original Voltron was a hackjob anime and of exceedingly low quality. The anime itself was only barely better by virtue of being a monster of the week show and at least had some clever writing.

which got stripped out to make the american version.

several clumsy reboots later we have a surprisingly decent take on the show. My only complaint being that the sword doesn't look as cool as the original.

anyways on a more general front I don't mind modern reboots if they take the Voltron approach; I.E. understanding the source material, using what works, discarding what doesn't.

would like to see more Beast Wars style takes on properties tho

It's good when it respects the source material and doesn't try to make it what it isn't, i.e Power Rangers.

Reboots can be fun

Corran isn't even white, he's Altean. His skin color is whatever he wants it to be. Also I'm not sure what he's on about. Kieth and Lance both look pretty caucasian to me.

You never watched Voltron dude.

You gave it away in this post

>Keith
>caucasian

Keith KOGANE
He was the only asian in the original.

Lance is brown as fuck and they make him from Cuba rather than the english playboy archetype

>australian stereotype
New Zealand, and he's not a stereotype until he's fucked at least one sheep.

The American Voltron is a series of original episodes produced, there is no Japanese version.

Season 1 of Voltron is the one that uses the Japanese GoLion footage.

Season 2 is a good anime and you never watched it.

Usually shit. Sometimes good, like OP's post or something like Beast Wars or Extreme Ghostbusters.

But they do undeniably have a strong ability to make money. Just look at all the Bay-based ones.

i want to inseminate the pidge

>several clumsy reboots later

sounds like someone never watched any Voltron.

The only thing wrong with Third Dimension was the horrible CGI.

Legendary Defender is just more of the same shit the sequel reboots did, which is just going off of what the American episodes of Voltron did. Legendary Defender even outright copied multiple plotlines from the American Voltron episodes.

I dislike the idea of rehashing old IPs instead of creating new ones. It's a cancer that keeps getting worse.

>removing all the white men
It was based on an anime where everyone was Japanese. None of them were ever white in the first place.

>everyone was Japanese

Allura (Fala) and Coran (Raibile) were white in GoLion

>>not being able to tell kiwis

I don't think the stuff you're talking about actually effects the end product much?

I just... Don't understand why people care so much about this.

How important is it to you that there's a white guy in the roster? Are you really so insecure that you can only emotionally connect with characters that are the same race as you, even if they're bland as shit?

Like for fuck's sake most of the world, hell there's a good bit of America where shit happens, and white people don't really play a large role in things. You can have a story without an obligatory toke white dude.

Are we really at the point where not needing every show to have a token white dude is considered being a SJW?

There's nothing really social justice-y about the new character designs.
Different skin tones help tell the characters apart in a group, which is why I do it for my own art.

You know that Voltron was an anime and they are actually Japanese characters right?

Not the fact there are no white guys but the fact that the show is going full KILL WHITEY mode

The creators even voiced how much they hated the original Allura was a straight white women that was in love with Keith

Allura is white

Most of Voltron is not from an anime. Infact Season 3 of Voltron was all original produced episodes, which is what most of Netflix Voltron takes after.

This show is based on Voltron not GoLion
Thats what they're calling him Keith not Akira

>The iconic theme still hasn't made an appearance.
youtube.com/watch?v=eO_CmTds74w

>Not the fact there are no white guys but the fact that the show is going full KILL WHITEY mode
Unless the characters are talking about killing white people it's not going full KILL WHITEY mode. It's just a show without a white guy in a lead role.

I assume Keith is white

His last name's Kogane. I guess he could be mixed though.

As long as the writing and animation is decent, and it doesn't shit on its origins/try to force an agenda down our throats, I'm cool with it.

I'd be interested in your source.

Before I thought people were just easy to fall for bait, but it's easier to think that people simply enjoy this inane discussion over and over and over again.

its a show with ZERO white guys when theres no reason why one of the pilots can't be white

like for what reason is Lance Cuban now?

I wasn't aware white people needed affirmative action. Having trouble with the show since you can't identify with the characters?

>Hunk imagines Spam Musubi
Oh so he's Hawaiian.

it was at the Wondercon Panel

They hate how Allura was a blonde princess and most of her character was being in love with Keith

nerdist.com/voltron-legendary-defender-netflix-cast-release-date-showrunner-interview-dreamworks-animation/

He's an alien pretending to be a japanese boy

Well Allura didn't really do much at all until she inherited a lion. Nothing wrong with wanting support characters to have a bit more agency.

I'm not even white dude.

But they're clearly trying to push an agenda by taking away the main characters and putting them in supporting roles and removing all traces of straight white males.

Like I'm all for diversity, but that doesn't mean aggressively removing both straight men and white men.

stop this Keith is Lotor shit

The fact they they made her a brown elf when the other elves aren't brown is kind of a sign they meant they hated she was white too. They don't want her piloting a Lion either.

So either two things

1. Some "no white people allowed" levels of butthurt
2. Brown elf fetish is rampant in the character designer department

Leaning towards 2 seeing as how Korra had the same shit practically

"If minorities want more representation, they should make it themselves"
>they make it themselves
"WHY ARE THERE NO WHITE MEN IN THIS? IT"S NOT FAIR"

Because a white guy watching the show who is uncomfortable with the lack of white guys can go look for another show on Netflix and easily find plenty of shows and movies starring white guys. Cuban guys probably can't do that, or at least can't find a lot of shows starring Cubans that doesn't involve drugs.

>implying Cubans aren't just tan whites

>they make it themselves

the show is created by two white people

>they make it themselves
????
????

If I want representation I'll let my japanese overlords make it for me

Haven't we only seen like 3 elves total? The king, Allura his daughter, and Corran?

At least they both seem to have some sort of Australian accent, so they're trying to keep some consistency there.

They still made it this way because they wanted to. Sup Forums goes on about how SJWs should stop expecting representation and do it themselves. But the second things don't pander to Sup Forums they act even whinier than the SJWs.

Somehow the link to the actual words makes it seem non-racist. I wonder why that is.
>it's an agenda because there isn't enough whitey or talk about how much they love women
Oh please.
>the mere existence of two colors in an entire species means they hate whites
>this other comment that isn't supported by the text

Cubans don't shower

white people need to shower after watching every episode of an hour long TV show

This is fact, I have white friends.

>But they're clearly trying to push an agenda by taking away the main characters and putting them in supporting roles and removing all traces of straight white males.
Weak bait bro

>I'm not even white dude.
^ found the white guy.

>stop this Keith is Lotor shit

non

There's no reason for him to be white, either.

>I'm all for diversity
Then why are you complaining so much about it? That's all this is. You don't "need" a white character any more than you "need" a black character.

More people are whining about how little the show resembles Voltron and Keith not being the MC and how ship fags think Shiro wont die.

Rarely ever see people seriously whining about no white people. There is a somewhat adamant lack of white people in the show but I went in expecting this from the people that made Korra.

At least they didn't make everyone Japanese cause we would not hear the end of it from weebs.

>the show is going full KILL WHITEY mode

Lance is half-white, if anything.

I'm glad this show is brave enough to have a gay male character.

its not racist but its hella stupid they want to keep Allura out of piloting a Lion.

The fact that she's brown when they said they don't want her to be blonde is just signs into their subconscious. Its by the people that made Korra, you better believe they don't fap to no white people doujins and have Muramasa tags bookmarked

It's really admirable how this show has strong male role models for young boys.

>didn't even read my post

Get your head out of your ass and read again

This show is gonna break new ground with the diversity crowd when it makes gay interspecies crippleship canon.

For too long, young men have been ashamed of flaunting their bodies, but Voltron knows that men should be proud of who they are.

Oh look tumblr is here with the "HOW DARE YOU THINK BROWN GIRLS IS A FETISH AND STOP LIKING WHITE PEOPLE" bullshit again.

Kamille shut the fuck up for once you mentally ill piece of shit. Brown elf is a real fetish.

This is now a Voltron thread and only gay smut is welcome.

>how little the show resembles Voltron
It resembles it as much as more more than the MCU resembles Marvel comics.

I don't "need" to read it either.

you are the cancer in this voltron fanbase

off to tumblr with you

Making him latino is pretty stereotype-y dude.

There's been a notable dearth of strong male characters for people to look up to. Effeminate fuccbois dominate western media and make boys afraid to dream about aspiring to something more, but Voltron finally gives them someone to look up to.

I can't find a lot of show's starring Polish guys, but you don't hear me bitching. But I guess all white people are the same.

Then why not asian?

Lance's cocky little shit personality is a huge trope if you make him mexican.

So how the fuck did the Alteans lose the war if just one of their ships can take out an entire Galra fleet?

Also will Earth end up building vehicle voltron?

But this voltron fanbase is all about cute boys. You're the odd one out, maybe you should leave.

I'm sure you can bitch to other uropean media outlets about this but American media production kinda has to function on different understandings of race than you might be familiar with.

thats not saying much.

The setting, characters, general plot, themes, and the aesthetic of the show is entirely different. I don't want this second rate Mass Effect setting, I want the Medieval Europe Robots stuff back

Shiro has great plot.

Brown Girls is GOAT fetish

Brown Girls are top tier

Brown Girls > Korean Girls > White Girls > Everything Else > Black Girls

this is FACT

They already decided to have Keith and Shiro be Asian.

Sendak has pretty good plot too. It may not be a plot for everybody, but it certainly appeals to me.

pretty much no one watched vehicle force voltron or acknowledges it.

No I don't care if Dairugger was a better show than GoLion and that transferred over to the localization Voltron is made of Lions not cars.

Cute boys has nothing to do with Keith being Lotor

Keith is not fucking Lotor
it makes no sense for him to be Lotor

The premise, cast, and themes are the same. The designs are also generally the same.

As for the changes made, there's no point in a reboot if you're not going to change anything.

Latino Cocky Punk that slacks off a lot is a big stereotype dude.

No reason he should be latino if they're trying to avoid stereotypes and not have him be white.

Creators are clearly trying to say something about latinos by making Lance latino instead of Asian or Black

That's why it's a shocking twist!

3rd Dimension is hardly the only voltron reboot, and while it's writing and voice acting are decent the fact remains that it's an animated show with absolutely hideous CGI.

I grew up with beastwars so I can overlook it there but I never caught 3rd Dimension in broadcast and I can't overlook how an animated show, you know a visual medium, looks like ass.

honestly the new one surprised me, maybe I'm just used to it at this point but I always hated mech shows where the characters are 2D but the mechs are 3D.

>together, with the GOOD planets of the solar system

What did Optimus mean by this?

Most of them probably died out 10,000 years ago when Coran and Allura went into stasis. We might see some more of them in flashbacks. Also, since they're apparently shapeshifters, if there are survivors, maybe they're hiding their appearance to avoid detection.

Keith and Shiro were always asian

Sven was swedish in the original though which actually factually have way less representation than mexicans and asians in mainstream media.

anytime you see a swedish dude he's comic relief with a thick accent. Woulda been cool to see a swedish lead for once that doesn't sound like a joke

Random thought but...

Is it possible we're SO FAR INTO THE FUTURE at this point that the subject of "race" is completely pointless in setting and as such arguing it is equally pointless?

Like, for all we know Lance could actually be half Native American half Tongan ancestrally but that won't show because it's the ambiguous earth harmony future.

Premise is extremely different outside of the basic
>5 youths form Voltron to fight evil empire.

The main villain is different, the character origins are different, the cast is partially different, and the themes are 100% different.

You can do a reboot without changing so much of the source material. Why go for the second rate Mass Effect look when they could have stuck with the Medieval space robot stuff? Which Voltron hasn't done since the 80s might I add.

>how little the show resembles voltron
well yeah it has nothing in common with Vehicle For- oh wait no one watched the Dairugger adaptation.

5 dudes, 6 counting shiro. 5 lions, princess, loyal retainers, mice for the odd comedic relief scene. Evil alien empire, robeasts...

gonna say it has a hell of a lot in common with Lion Force Voltron.

>Premise
Sorta different, the basics are there but the details of it are entirely different
>Cast
No
>Themes
Hell no

Voltron had themes of
>power of love
>evil is bad
>greed is bad

Netflix Voltron is more so about coming of age and personal growth

you aren't gay

you are too chicken shit to suck a dick IRL

stop fantasizing about being a slim gay boy you fat fuck

I like Shiro, but I wonder if they're going to kill him like Sven and then have Keith be the team leader in the Black Lion, Lance take over the Red Lion and Allura take over the Blue Lion like in the original series.

I don't think earth has FTL yet but they do seem to have a global government. Ergo race and nationality probably don't matter that much.

honestly caring about fictional character's races, especially in a stylized animation about a giant robot made from technomagical lions is somewhat absurd/

Though Voltron is still powered by friendship and evil and greed are still bad.

3rd Dimension was a sequel actually

Theres two reboots: Voltron Force and this one Legendary Defender.

3rd Dimensions awful CGI was made up to kids by the toyline being extremely top notch, even on today's standards.