Why does Sup Forums seem to dislike Rick & Morty

As the title asks, why does Sup Forums dislike this show? Ass-blasted christ fags and reddit bogeyman memers aren't invited to post.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iyBXqMTjvTI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You just answered your own question. The fandom is shit.

>Hating a show because of the manchildren that associate themselves with it

When will this meme die

>reddit bogeyman memers
It'd be silly to say all the people who hate Rick and Morty are this but a good portion of them on here are.

it's like if futurama was even more boring and unfunny

Why would christians be assblasted? Because Rick is an athetist? Because he straight up prays to god one episode.

It's good. It's popular. People like to whine about popular things. enjoy the show and ignore the whine.

reddit really likes it for all the wrong reasons.

Like Snyder liking Watchmen because "Rorschach is a badass!!!1"

These people drown out discussion in favor of quoting their favorite episodes and "omg how right Rick is"

I like it. I like Roiland's work.

Interesting watch the first time, and maybe even enjoyable.

Then reran every night for all the nights and taking it off the air for a week and reran even more so you can rerun while you reran like 12 episodes for while to and the wait to go year and a half and

And as people get over their boner for something new but played itself out they go around memeing with everyone else and doing stupid shit while they wait for the new episodes.

The premise doesn't warrant anything more than a couple of episodes to me. I found the pilot funny but then everything after that wore thing pretty quick.

He then goes and tells god to fuck off at the end.

It never will thanks to /mlp/ and maybe to an earlier extent adventure time

The point of Rick's religious moment was just satire relating to the way people turn to religion when they are afraid of death. Religion is a crutch for a lot of people or a billboard of hope when they are in despair.

Because several of the high concept episodes are genuinely new and interesting, and the entire rest of the series can't keep up.

They set the bar high for themselves as "a high concept sci fi show that will blow your mind twice every episode" but then half the episodes are Family Guy tier filler.

It reminds me of the problem with Superman stories, and why only some can be good. Essentially Rick is so powerful his only villain is the uncreative writer who holds him back.

Rick and Morty simply can't keep up its own quality level, which makes it look worse as a whole, even to those of us who love it.

What I dislike about R&M is the creator's obnoxious lack of a sincere & dedicated approach to the show. The creator's revel in their ironic detachment, exemplified most of all in their improv episodes. As if preemptively shielding themselves from criticism by releasing something deliberately half-assed. It is emblematic to me of the creator's lack of genuine insight or a lack of conviction in their own ability. Which would be understandable given the personalities behind the show itself.

Half-assing is only real philosophy of the creators. The show is conceived & shaped through a click-bait understanding of science, a lifetime of media addiction & the only partially digested nietzschean philosophy of the creators. It knowingly spouts the kind of lazy, autodidact, self-serving, personal philosophy of those weaned in the information-era: "Nothing really matters so do whatever you want."

It's a half-baked nihilism dressed up as cynical realism used to justify a shallow unexamined lifestyle of hedonistic "Dopamine is the greatest good". Ironically championed by those who consider themselves more knowledgeable than the rest of the world because they're armed with an internet connection and a wikipedia tab. It aims to make its audience feel smart & clever without making them think too hard. To validates the choices they've already made & reinforces their lifestyles. To makes them feel superior while downplaying their own shortcomings.

In other words. It's reddit.

What?

The fact that OP interprets it as "primarily atheist" shows how full of shit he is. Rick isn't a "OMG religitards BTFO xDDD" like Reddit praises itself for being. He's a scatterbrained alcoholic who spends one moment denouncing faith for his own intelligence and another praying for salvation when he thinks he's in over his head. It's not consistent; it doesn't try to be.

If anything he should be seen as an agent of chaos, where the furthering of chaos in-and-of-itself is his own form of worshipping a philosophical God. But I'm overanalyzing.

He does whatever most benefits him, from a strategic standpoint, at each moment.
>Thinking you cannot survive without God --> God is necessary to your well being
>God no longer seems necessary for your well being --> God is not needed and is therefore detracting from your own image of superiority

It's central theme is about a lot of science fiction shit and the plots involve a lot of unconventional and often baffling concepts and scenarios. That and the main character is a condescending genius. Put that all together and a lot of typical pretentious fart huffing 'intellectuals' from Reddit latched onto it as well as come here to discuss it.

And that's why some of Sup Forums hates it. They can't help but associate it with Reddit and think of it as pretentious like the people who like it. Sorry if I ended up being a Reddit boogeyman OP but that's the hard facts.

I mean I didn't like it because I felt it was just shock humor and scifi references

yes I get it I know that movie you are referencing, yes I get it what just happened is insane, dark and shocking. After about 4 or 5 episodes of that I got bored and stopped watching

xd

>it's a Sup Forums is one person episode again

I think the adventures and ideas behind them are pretty nice.

However, I also get the feeling the show is really eager to impress. Love Potion No. 9 was season or finale material but it was spend on a mid season episode.

The other problem is the "Rick is a jerk but actually cares about his family" that allows the writers to have him switch between neglectful asshole and caring grandpa whenever the situation demands.

The improv episodes are just plain awful.

I do like Roiland's style (which is refreshing for Adult Swim); I liked that he even gave me a little advice on a pilot script I made last year. Wish I could talk to him again about how I've been shaping it since them, but I doubt I'll ever get that chance.

>Why actually discuss people tearing apart my psuedointellectual projections onto a cartoon when I can post another dank meme???

So, critically speaking there's nothing wrong with it

>trying to paint fag poster's jpg as some kind of presented argument instead of just seeing it as the memeposting it is

It's not JUST the fans, the show itself is written like Reddit-tier garbage.

Also the shit art and stuttering.

>Calling his png maymay a jpg maymay

>Reddit-tier garbage

Do you even know what the fuck you're talking about or are you just here to enjoy the echo chamber

S3 when?

Its a memeshow. It got old fast.
But if you like it, thats cool. Id rather watch something else.

Thanks cool dude

The humor just never really grabbed me (especially the improv).

And I find the artstyle ugly.

Sup Forums is gay and has shit taste. Note that they hated 2016's seminal hit Batman vs. Superman.

You either die underappreciated or live long enough to become shit.

Such is the way of Sup Forums

nice bait

literally everyone with any taste hated that movie

this, the show's own concept is too big for them

maybe because the cartoon is literally like that though.
Just like Family guys;
youtube.com/watch?v=iyBXqMTjvTI

That is a good analysis, user. And what's sad is that it can apply many animated shows and movies.

It's really not though.

Rick and Morty = "This is looked at through the eyes of an alcoholic nihilist and it's funny how fucked up the scenario gets."
Family Guy = "X people are stupid and it's funny how stupid they are."

So it truly has become a pasta

It's just so bland and unenjoyable.
Characters are all terrible people but not in the way that makes you like them, like Always Sunny, you just end up hating them.
The feely moments are all forced, its directed in the same way a laugh track is put into a sitcom: this part is sad, you should feel sad. Like shit, even SU does a better job.
Rick is insufferable and is basically a characterization of /r/athiesm, not to mention the burping he constantly does is annoying.

And the part that really magnifies these flaws are the fans that will get on your case if you so much as say "it's alright"; hence this thread.

Have you listened to his podcast?

We liked it until we noticed Tumblr and Reddit liking it, now we're just being contrarian.

>It's ok when *WE* do it!

It go popular with normies.
When S1 started all the (small) threads were about praising R&M and going on about how good it is.

Then S2 started along with massive hype and Sup Forums suddenly hates it.

> I can't like something because people I don't like like it

ultimate pleb cuck attitude tbqh famalam

>why does Sup Forums dislike this show
is this the new epic false flag tumblr invented to feel like the victim again?

I like Rick and Morty because I love Justin Roiland.

It blows when that happens here, like Sup Forums with Undertale or Sup Forums with the Mountain Goats and (calling it) /vp/ with pokemon go

Pretty much this

Sup Forums and Sup Forums in general are full of boring retards who think that hating anything 'mainstream' is a shortcut to being an engaging, interesting person

The illusion holds up because so much mainstream stuff is pretty shit

>Characters are all terrible people but not in the way that makes you like them, like Always Sunny, you just end up hating them.

I think that is pretty accurate, I enjoyed the show at first it was pretty entertaining nothing great but entertaining then I grew to hate every single character.

It doesn't help that the show overall has actually been going down in quality, there are still some great episodes in S2 but there's also some really shitty ones which don't even feel like they were made by the same people.

I like it.

>le reddit: the show meme

Is it safe to assume Roiland is in this thread shitting it up again?

I enjoy it but don't feel particularly hyped about it or anything.

We don't like those anymore because Tumblr/Reddit/any other site starts liking them for the wrongs reasons and people will start thinking we like them for the wrong reasons and attract those who like them for the wrong reasons here.

I didn't care for the 2nd TV episodes and murder world, other then that it was a pretty good season with a 9/10 finale.

Only a year ago Sup Forums was collectively sucking this show's dick, but now that the popularity reach mainstream you begin thinking it's not such a hot shit after all.

When Rick and Morty was first airing and no one gave a shit about it in its first couple episodes launched, Sup Forums loved it. Sup Forums thought it was funny, well developed, and thought the premise was awesome. You will still find much of Sup Forums enjoying it, but making these types of threads during hiatus and looking for huge positive feedback is retarded.

Why would Christians be upset? Rick isn't really an atheist.

To many people trying to confirm their biases.

Rick is what is most tactically and strategically the best to be, but he considers himself a god like being, I'm sure of it.

Maybe R&M would be better with either

1. Only 6 episodes per season so they can stay focused and do those awesome plots justice.

2. Go the other direction with lots of 7 minute shorts. Get the opportunity to make all the dumb-but-kinda-neat sci-fi gags into mini episodes of their own, rather than being rushed, slowed down with filler or crammed into another episode, and so on. Then have one or two plots built up over a season.

The problem is the creators do kinda want to make a "marketable tv family" and have stated this goal. And that's fine and whatever, but it might be holding back what is definitely a fun concept.

I feel like it basically became this decade's Invader Zim.

I'd like it a lot more if Hot Topic-type of places didn't exist.

It's Family Guy for people who think they're too smart for Family Guy

this made me laugh so fucking hard

>Rick constantly telling everyone god doesn't exist
>The devil himself was literally in one episode
>Rick nonchalant as fuck about it

Come on, that was almost as dumb as bringing Stinkmeaner back from the dead after Huey's moving and well executed religious dilemma at the end of the boondocks season 1.

Dan Harmon describes it to be a cross between The Simpsons and Futurama. Which is one if its biggest problems. It doesn't know if it wants to be the family sitcom of The Simpsons, or the weird sci-fi comedy of Futurama. And ultimately, it's not as good as either. Which may not be entirely fair, as both shows have had far longer to establish themselves, but so far Rick hasn't come close to the peaks of its inspirations. It says something that the best episode of the first season (Rixty Minutes) was mostly improv.

(Also, the sub-plot of "Raising Gazorpazorp" is literally "Amazon Women in the Mood" only not half as funny or interesting. And yes, I know Futurama was not the first do do the sci-fi "one gender / one planet" cliche, but it really is a slapdash version of that episode.)

Another problem, which was also shared by Harmon's other show (which was too beloved by the internet) Community is that it has a cynical, a little edgy, a bit mean, kind of post-modern sense of humor about it. The problem is that the show wants to have this sort of detached "Look how horrible these people are!" style of comedy to it, like Family Guy almost, but at the same time it wants you to know it's deep, and thoughtful, and full of emotions. Community too suffered from this problem.

For example, we have Rick's catch phrase "Wubadubadubdub". It was used pretty well, with Rick creating it, and trying to make it catch on. As a recurring joke, it was kind of clever, and pretty funny. But the writers couldn't leave it be as just a joke. In the final episode of the first season we learn that "Wubadubadubdub" ACTUALLY means "I am in great pain. Please help me."

See? It wasn't a joke at all guys! The show is deep. It has retroactively turned a joke into a sign that Rick is suffering, and has been all along. Except, we have no reason to feel bad for Rick. He's an asshole with almost zero redeeming qualities. At best, you could say maybe he cares about his family, a little... But mostly he just causes problems for them. By turning that joke into something "deep" they haven't actually given the show depth, but they've taken the humor out of a once funny joke.

Same problem with "Rick Potion No. 9", in which they destroy their world and escape to a parallel universe. It's initially a joke, but later on it's played for drama when Morty reveal's he's not really this Summer's brother... Even though it ultimately has no impact, it's supposed to be very thoughtful as we concern ourselves with how these new characters, aren't the same ones we left behind, and yet, despite all that, they're still a family, somehow. What a crock of shit. The show loves to have its cake and eat it too. Everything is a joke until it was actually serious and meaningful all along guys! This was all part of the plan! No, what it is is slapping a deeper meaning onto something that never had one to begin with in an attempt to appear smarter than it is.

This type of problem is more obvious with Beth and Jerry. Neither of them are likable, interesting characters. Beth is a bitch, and Jerry is pathetic. Which is fine! Comedy comes from awful people all the time. There's nothing wrong with having unlikeable characters if they're funny. The trouble is that they'er not supposed to be funny... Well, not all the time anyway. We're supposed to CARE that Jerry is a pathetic loser. We're supposed to sympathize with Beth's alcoholism and insecurities. Or care about Summer because... I don't know. We just are.

This was a problem with Community too. It wanted to be post-modern and mean, but at the same time be all sweet and sentimental. It thought it was genius for it. People ate it up. Myself included. But eventually the show started going up its own ass, and it never descended. It tried to, briefly, when Harmon was fired. But they brought the fucker back, and suddenly the show had gone so deep it was bunking with the liver.

Thankfully Harmon is only the co-creator here, and it really is Roiland's show overall, but you can see his negative influence bleeding into it.

The other thing (which is not the show's fault) is that it's very overrated. It's become the internet darling of Reddit, and YouTube, and forums everywhere. People are calling it one of the best shows on television. It is a good show, don't get me wrong. It's funny, it truly is. But it's not the best. It's not even close. But people can't seem to shut up about it, and they praise its greatness from the mountains for all to hear. Again, this is really a symptom of the internet than the show itself, but being bombarded with praise for something is a good way to turn someone off to it. Or in the case of newbies they may leave disappointed as the show doesn't live up to its hype.

And that my friends. Is all I have to say. Also, this guy has some interesting things to say about it.

What Sup Forums loves Rick and morty

I think your missing the point.
Yes those criticisms would be failed if it wasent for the fact that's the fucking joke

*Would be valid

>2nd TV episodes and murder world
The two episodes that were literal rush jobs, no surprise there.

Or...or...you could step into the mindset of a nihilistic drunk and not care. You're not meant to care, you're meant to see reflections of your own life in the show and revel in watching them perform sisyphean task they've turned their lives into. It's actually pretty organic in that aspect. How many times have Beth and Jerry had a climax in which they gain a new appreciation for each other, but then they're right back to hating each other and fighting the next episode. It's because that's how life works. Two people that aren't right for each other don't just "get better". They have high highs and low lows and they spend their whole lives torturing each other.

I fucking love rick and morty user, but then again most on this board would call me a normie so I don't think my vote really counts.

>there are still some great episodes in S2 but there's also some really shitty ones which don't even feel like they were made by the same people.

It still baffles me that the same guy who wrote M. Night Shaym-Aliens also wrote Get Schwifty.

I don't like it because Dan Harmon is a hack. I can't wait for him to either die of failure, or for him to finally get the balls and kill himself

Anyone who dislikes something due only to the fandom is a fag.

>memeshow
God, this word turned you all into fucking morons.

I know this is shocking, but people are allowed to have different opinions.

there are no new episodes currently, so the only people who make threads right now are shitposters, either who make other people dislike their shitposts, or who already hated the show.

When the new season starts, there will be things to discuss and Sup Forums will have functional threads again.

I was not under the impression Sup Forums collectively, or even largely, disliked Rick & Morty. I see people discussing it all the time.

We're not a hive mind.

I would describe it as being akin to homestuck, rwby, or gay rocks all of which seem to gather large crowds of fans and a handful of really vocal people who particularly don't like it because it's reddit/tumblr/cancer/what have you

People liked it until it finished it's the season, like everything on Sup Forums

Fucking kek

change the pic to Sup Forums and it applies here as well.
R&M was loved when it was more "niche" now that it's mainstream people are just being stupid because they fear being labeled with the fandom.

sad but true

we as a collective go full retard at the idea that we and a place we disagree with have common ground

>Evewyting i dont wike is a meem
You should have gone to summer school this year, kid

What?? No way! I never knew that.

Yeah, there is some actual criticism about the show and it's flaws. And that's ok. But some people just hate it because it's mainstream.

Not that user, but I wouldn't call it a meme. But it's a recurring excuse to not watch a show.

>Complaining about reruns
You still fucking pay individually for TV?
I wish i had that picture of teenage girls pointing and laughing at the camera so I could use it to perfectly describe my reaction to the idea of somebody on Sup Forums voluntarially paying cable bills
You must love commercials.

you kidding? I love rick n morty.

Season two was so damn bad, with a couple of good episodes. I really loved it when the first season was airing, I don't think I'll bother watching the third season.

I fucking hate summer, she ruins the show. I hope she dies.

Because Sup Forums doesn't like anything