Luke Cage: Featuring The Defenders (Part 1)

Let's take a step into the Way back Machine, back to the 70's. Iron Fist hasn't been forced through a wall yet, Luke Cage is still always angry, and the two have never met yet.
Let's see how Power Man goes when he fights Defenders!

And since you Anons expressed interest in seeing the ads, here we go.

I have no idea why not-Batman is riding a pegasus, I've never read this freaking series.

From the narration I'm guessing he was betting Valkyrie he could ride her horse.

Okay, so Valkarie has the horse.

In case I didn't tell you this was from the 70's, that outfit just SCREAMS "70's".

ahh man not Gerber tho

Luke is in some of the Gerber stuff.

He's in THIS trilogy, and then he appears almost 20 issues later. Should we skip through Gerber so we can continue the Power Man and Iron Fist story?

God damn it Hulk, must you throw a tantrum over EVERYTHING?

>Black Knight, who has gone back in time to fight along Richard the Lion Heart.

i hate you so fucking much dane

Okay, new rule. I'm only posting ads that actually have Marvel characters in them.

Let's just try to do the issues with Luke.

>Pennyworth

WE GET IT, NIGHTHAWK IS BATMAN

I admit, I'm no historical economist, but I feel like it would take a while to get 25 mil in the 70's.

That silhouette! Could it be...

This one has the Sons of the Serpent ya damn mark

LUKE CAGE
U
K
E

C
A
G
E

i wonder how Nighthawk became the Squadron Supreme guy who stuck around

Man, Dan Whitman ends up in the Crusades a lot.

He also at one point body swapped with the Black Knight of that period, and ended up meeting Exodus before Apocalypse turned him into Exodus.

not muh wreaking crew

Oh, this one I actually know! It's alternate realities, so this Nighthawk was never part of the Squadrons.

Remember, Luke weighs 300 fucking pounds.

Okay, ads with Marvel characters, and letters.

Oh so he's just like 616 i can't rememeber his real name

dude loves getting medieval. iirc he was also a rock for a little bit

Skipping ahead a bit to add the rest of the letters.

>war is hell
What was that about?

Solid bronze for only 3.99?! We should all sign up!

Buscema draws the best punches in comics, always fucking great

I'm joking, don't actually send Marvel that money.

>hulk and doc should go and the defenders should be all nobodies
I hope these guys died in their mothers' basements, they probably thought Avengers was good

I do wonder what they would do if they got one of those clippings all these years later.

I guess he has super strength?

That's assuming the address is still valid.

Remember when you could casually use the word "holocaust"?

>Namor, Hulk and Strange are too individual so remove them from the Defenders
This fucking guy.

TO GOOGLE MAPS!
Actually, never mind, I'm too lazy.

you can still use it to mean disastrous fire or w/e just

So apparently Luke was doing this while Danny was looking for Colleen after she got kidnapped by Master Khan for reasons.

I don't know anything about the Defenders, but I thought they WERE the "literally who" team, by design, like Avengers were in the early 90's.

they were but that is also the Avengers origin.

and i was wrong about not muh crew huh

Defenders were the Justice League of mahvel who were not incessantly focused on infighting and who fucks who drama like the Avengers

>"The Defenders"
>"Featuring The Incredible Hulk!"
>"The Mysterious Doctor Strange!"
>"And the Savage Sir Not Appearing in this issue!"

>not focused on infighting
>my first issue has the Hulk throw a fit over a pathetic misunderstanding

I'm taking the piss, but I can't imagine this is a small problem with people like the Hulk and Namor in a small room.

So has Thunderball done this trick lately?

>tfw the cover lied to me

Covers lie more often than not, especially in comics.

that's not the Avengers really either.....

well infighting part was but it was never a huge deal

I need to start calling people "Stumblebums".

>shoulda known a building falling like that would attract attention

this is why you fuckers are stuck on the C list

Probably monkeys.

I would read a comic about moneys going to war. No WMDs, all infantry, but it would be amazing.

>Luke Cage uses a girder to smack away Thunderball's iron ball

The drama is not the selling point and the Hulk is very emotional but 9 times out of 10 will not flake on his boys or have any fuss about it like you would with Hulk appearing as a guest spot in any other book, it's just some banter.

It helps they are fucking stacked power level wise

Who fucks who infighting and serious arguments infighting

>It helps they are fucking stacked power level wise
Wasn't the original roster literally "the strongest members in Marvel who aren't in a team now"?

relationship drama has never been a big Avengers thing, specially inter team relationships. Viz/Wanda and Pym/Jan are like the only ones.

>it's a very short commercial break in the form of an image posted by a tripfag

Well luckily, we've got the room today.

Huh, so that was the first ever appearance of the Wrecking Crew?

Scanning wiki it seems like Strange's book got cancelled and they wrapped the story up in a Hulk/Namor crossover. Then fan response was so good it they got a try out issue of some random Marvel thing and then their own book

I think so!

weird I thought they were Thor villains so I had assumed they were Kirby creations

Strange
Namor
Hulk
Surfer

Surfer didn't appear much so it was basically just Hulk with dumb magician and fish man. It wasn't about the strongest though, it was because they were all loners. Who happened to be the strongest in hindsight

>the only ones
Really really really extremely big ones

I know these issues and it is not going to go to image limit

>Dirk Garthwaite first appears in the title Thor, and is depicted as a former manual laborer in a demolitions crew who is fired for his violent and anti-social tendencies. Garthwaite creates a costume for himself and adopting the alias the Wrecker, commits a series of robberies, demolishing looted locations and leaving a crowbar at the scene of the crime. The Wrecker enters a hotel room that, unknown to him, is occupied by Asgardian god Loki, the adopted brother and arch-foe of the Thunder god Thor. He knocks the depowered Loki out and puts on his helmet. The Wrecker accidentally receives an enchantment - meant for Loki - from Loki's ally, Norn Queen Karnilla, and courtesy of his now indestructible crowbar is granted superhuman strength and stamina.

what an amazing origin

It's interesting what kind of partners can come from desperate attempts to keep a story going.

He argues with Thor about the privileges of strength when Thor starts to chastise him for being a big dumb dickhead. It's really memorable for some reason

Wrecker himself is a Kirby creation, but not the rest.

Man, when even Hulk is talking smack at you, pick a better career. He's not exactly a brain trust himself.

>the power of the Asgardian Norn Queen lies dormant in this crowbar
You know, the Wrecking Crew are kind of weird when you think about it.

It's why they're loved, user.

He's from the second version of the Squadron Sinister, made up of people from 616 + Evil Hyperion.

Speed Demon has a reasonably solid run over the years too, with Main Cast status in New Thunderbolts and Superior Foes.

Alright Anons, this trilogy ends with this issue. After this, Luke Cage returns to HIS series.

>Story we had to call DOOMBALL
>No Dr Doom in a baseball uniform in sight

disappointed

He doesn't want Luke Cage to spot him, user.

You wouldn't get it if you aren't a massive Marvel nerd, but Thunderball is actually a sciencist who is seemingly superior to Bruce Banner himself.

Probably not.
They mostly last like four pages nowadays, because they got too good at jobbing. And because nobody respected Thor's power level for a long time.

>that look when Nighthawk kisses her
SHE LOVES IT

Sorry the pages are taking a while Anons, long day at work.

Gotta admire the cop who sees, THE HULK and tried to lock him up.

$3.99 for a Spider-Man Medallion? That's ridiculous! For that much I could get 2 mood rings and a pet rock!

Sorry, this page was supposed to go before

Oh god, pet rocks WERE a thing, that was some nonsense.

The Wrecker and Absorbing Man are both incredible for being total moron jerks who get magically enhanced up to being Thor threats.

Ouch, that had to hurt...

Absorbing Man was and has always just been a cunt but he'll just go fuck off jabroni if you try to talk to him. Wrecker went off on Thor like he was in a Gundam series or a Ditko book once provoked ideologically

Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but what the hell does "fuck off jabroni" mean?"

Here's Luge having a punch out with a member of the Wrecking Crew,

That's the reason why Thunderball is the only member of the Wrecking Crew besides The Wrecker himself who's at all personally memorable.

Seriously. Piledriver and Bulldozer are totally "The Rest"

Billy, the fucking wizard is giving you an order. Shut the fuck up and do it.

Shouldn't this piss off Hulk?