JLA arc Rock of Ages by Grant Morrison

Was this any good?

Grant Morrison has the best JLA run, which sounds like faint praise cause there are only like 4 good ones but no it really is amazing.

>Grant Morrison has the best JLA run
No

It was good.

I prefer Kelly and Mahnke's run on JLA to Morrisons honestly

How the fuck did he even make this work?
This was the most broken roster in comic book history

I disagree but understand you

It's the Justice League, it's SUPPOSED to be the biggest hero. And Superman wrestles an angel in like the first 12 issues, it works

Giffen/DeMatteis, Morrison, Kelly... what's the fourth one?

>it's SUPPOSED to be the biggest hero
That's what I didn't like about it. I prefer my team books to be made up of characters who couldn't support a solo title

I miss electric superman

Yes, yes it was.

I sort of wish they would bring Superman Blue back as an alternate earth Superman

One of my favorite scenes with Superman was an Electric Superman scene in Morrison's run on Justice League.

I think it was JLA 6 or 7. He creates a magnetic field around the moon to repel it from the earth in order to stop them from colliding.

It was a pretty epic scene, and a cool way to make use of Electrosupes' powers.

It was really mediocre. It might very well be the best JLA run just because the JLA has had very few good runs, but compared to other really solid comic runs it's not special in any way. And Porter's art is fucking disgusting.

>This was the most broken roster in comic book history
Why do people feel this way? Like the other dude said, it's the motherfucking Justice League, not to mention if you're writing a team like them, you just need plenty of imagination and writing talent to make them work.

>And Porter's art is fucking disgusting
Does he improve years later?

>Mahnke
his older stuff is usually 10/10. So I feel you.

Because he isn't a hack like Hickman, Johns or JL animated series guys.

>that noseless kyle rayner mask

Granted, I've noticed a lot of art that doesn't make the mask so flat.

>or JL animated series guys.
Woah.

JL and JLU both had their flaws but they were ultimately fantastic shows that were probably the very first to translate most of the DCU to television right. Fuck Superfriends, JL and JLU are where it's at.

Johns is also good, though his JL run was also mostly trash from what I read of it.

Because the Justice League stopped being the original 7 for years

You had characters like Gypsy or Vixen on the roaster in the 80's

I mean look at JLI the best JL They only had Martian Manhunter and Batman and the rest of the cast were a bunch of D listers who struggled or failed to have their own comcis

>Because the Justice League stopped being the original 7 for years
Well bringing the team back to the basics and just focusing on crazy threats only the JL could stop was the right thing to do then.

>You had characters like Gypsy or Vixen on the roaster in the 80's
Just as a sidenote, I like Vixen. But she shouldn't be a main JLer imo.

>red and blue superman
>redhead aquaman
>Rayner with a green brick for a mask

Those are evil hard-light duplicates user.
They show up and start wrecking shit which eventually leads into the main plot of the arc.

Genuinely curious about this. Len Wein maybe? Gardner Fox? Waid/Miller one off issues?

Porter's art hasn't improved imho and I believe he sustained some eye or hand injury that hasn't helped. Never really liked his art but some of his costume designs for the heroes in rock of ages is interesting. As an aside, his art in the Flash's rogue war really detracted from a fun storyline.

Satellite era Justice League.

Rock of ages is , his entire run is great.i miss when the justice league had a nice book around.
Fucking Johns

Englehart

But the others couldn't manage to show the big 7 like Morrison did. Johns run was inconsistent, while the JL always had to make the strong ones job to show obstacles. Morrison did it a lot better. People may hate Batgod, but he justified the presence of Batman and even Green Arrow in the league without making someone job.

that aint the JLA man, thats the JLI hhahahahaha

because its just a temporary change that most supermen go through, sort of like puberty or dying and coming back, just one of those things supermen go through

what are recs for the big four JL runs, if you dont mind my asking guys? like should i just dive in whenever the runs start or do i need any extraneous reading

yes, yes, YES! this scene fucking blew my mind!!

No even before then Batman and Martian Manhunter were the only A listers still in the JLA

Looks like Joker just gassed Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

read the comic

Morrison, DeMatteis/Giffen, Kelly and Johns probably.

The DeMatteis/Giffen JLI run is a little tricky because midway through it splits into JLA and JLE and then has a couple minis after it ends. Just look up a reading order before you start.

by page 8 to boot

it is at first glance, but he's a solid storyteller and the book works

>and Johns probably

Johns league was shit. There's nothing his fanboys can say or to to change that fact. Thinking crap like origins or Darkseid war belongs with DM/G or Kelly's is just retardation.

HAHAHAHA let's kill darkseid HAHAHAHA let's kill my father!

>Martian Manhunter
>A-list

Pick one and only one.

>Johns
lolno

That's nowhere near one of the best JL runs.