Jesus Christ, this was awful...

Jesus Christ, this was awful. The real life Hugh Glass story was about a man who was abandoned by his fellow trappers and left to die, seeks revenge, and ultimately forgives those who wronged him. How did that get turned into a story about his wife's son getting murdered, Tom Hardy playing a caricature of a human, and a bunch of noble savage white guilt bullshit? How the fuck did people actually like this movie?

>a man who was abandoned by his fellow trappers and left to die, seeks revenge, and ultimately forgives those who wronged him
all of this happens in the movie user

Because of DiCaprio. Me girl friend loves everything he makes

>that 'forgiveness' at the end
Nobody's buying that. It seems like the director just really, really wanted to kill Hardy while trying to technically stay true to the story of Glass, and so we got that weaselly bullshit.

Because DiCaprio had apparently been working really really hard

Yeah, he like eat a fish, and gone out without a jacket. So brave and dedicated, very talented

It was his year!

This. I would add that while the cinematography and visual design was some of the best I’ve seen in a film, the writing, specifically dialogue, was bad to the point of being comic.

>I ain’t afraid to die. I done it already.
Who the fuck wrote this, a twelve year old?

Oh yeah I really liked that bit where Leo totally didn’t murder the shit out of Hardy. Fucking idiot.

Also IRL Hardy's character legit thought Hugh was dead.

>blink if you want me to kill you
>30 seconds of Hardy and DiCaprio staring at each other until DiCaprio has to blink
I couldn't take this scene seriously

t. non oscar winner

Really happy I saw this in theaters because the visuals were the only thing exceptional about this movie.

watch more film

agreed it was trash compared to the book they made his survival look way too easy,

that was the point, he had to blink

>chill out hunting bears in the 1800s
>200 years later some pricks fuck up your story and release it for the whole wide world to watch not even bothering to change your name

How is this okay?

>*crawls around and grunts in pain for 4 hours*

it was a deep and multifaceted portrayal of the human condition by the greatest living actor

Well, at least the kids will remember you as that badass who could 1v1 a bear even after getting critically damaged.

fu

>muh books
>muh real story

Fuck off

If they copied the end of the book then every retarded member of the casual audience would say "nothing happens" cause if no one dies then it doesn't mean anything. Having Glass become more enlightened and mentally strong rather than actually achieving his revenge is a far better ending, but it simply wouldn't fit into a Hollywood movie.

Truly an underappreciated film.
>Beautiful Cinematography
>Masterful performance by Tom Hardy
>Compelling story

For me there is nothing really to dislike about it. I understand the critique of DiCaprio's acting being 1 dimensional, but consider that he is portraying a character whose sole focus is revenge. The raw anger and drive that he portrayed in the movie was very impressive imo.

I think it will probably go down as one of the greats.

I doubt it, it was pretentious since it indulged in too many scenes and let pacing go out the window

Who cares what happened in real life?
Why would that matter on the quality of the film, unless it's an actual biography?

It certainly demands patience of the viewer. I'm curious what you mean when you say it indulged in too many scenes, which ones do you have in mind?

would have been better without actors, just the scenery.

lubezki is a god among men, iñárritu just a bullshit hack with nothing to contribute

>ultimately forgives those who wronged him.
Literally what the fuck are you talking about? The only reason the real Glass didn't kill Fitzgerald is because he was enlisted in the army. He even told him directly "If you leave the army, I will fucking kill you."

>a movie fails to adapt a great book
Wow, what a shocker, this has never happened before.

Movies are for plebs who hate reading.

>implying Hardy's character wasn't memetastic

It was a good movie

>on Sup Forums
what?

>and a bunch of noble savage

Did you miss the part where the entire trapping groups at the start gets brutally killed by a raiding party?