Yojimbo - For non-Japanese

So Sup Forums is this film any good if you don't speak japanese?

I've been wanting to branch out from American/hollywood films and into the international world of film, and for my first asian film, I wanted to know if this is a good choice.

Yes, now watch it.

Yojimbo or Rashomon anons? Trying to decide which to rent from my uni library.

Yojimbo, then Rashomon. If you liked both, go for Seven Samurai, Ran, etc. And when you're finished with Kurosawa's samurai films, look for Ikiru.

Ok.... wait... where do I find this movie in english subtitles?

Weird. I was literally just about to watch this.

Thank you.

Did you get it on DVD or through the internet?

I can't find a physical copy anywhere.

I have a bunch of old samurai films on DVD.

Yojimbo is a great movie. That being said, jumping into it as your first subbed movie ever may be a little polarizing. You could start with something a little more recent if you want. Also, Sanjuro is great too.

It's very good, and I'd say it's a pretty easy watch as long as you don't mind reading subtitles.
Of the Kurosawa movies I've seen I think it's probably the most accessible (it's basically a proto-western), although my favourite would have to be Ran.

watch Sanjuro after Yojimbo.

Are there different subtitled versions I should watch out for? I know any dub would most likely suck balls.

Just torrent the Criterion version if you're concerned. You're way over thinking it though.

leone > kurosowa

>it's basically a proto-western
Fistful of Dollars is a pretty faithful remake of Yojimbo.

But the real question is why is everyone but the ronin a 5 foot tall midget?

It would have been great to have Clint eastwood surrounded by a bunch of balding old men just like Yojimbo

yes, but don't expect to understand who is who or what is going on if you aren't used to nip cinema

I fucking loved Ran that fucking siege scene was mindblowing.
Its sad with cgi these days you'll never see something like that ever again.

Watch all Kobayashi and Kurosawa movies to get started, they are all 10/10 in my opinion

But the real question is, which one to watch? Yojimbo or pic related? The stories are 1 for 1, I'm more inclined to westerns but I watched Yojimbo first and A Fistful of Dollars ended up being a bit boring since I realized it's the same story when he Man With No Name met the barman.

Both are great films (because they tell the same story and filmed superbly) but I feel they're kinda like Pokemon Red and Blue. You won't have much fun playing one once you played the other.

Fuck Rashmon, the fucking soundtracks go on forever like someone clapping metals near your ears

Watch both and watch last man standing and then watch sanjuro then yojimbo vs zatoichi then the other Leone films including west and dynamite then watch Django watch youth of the beast and miller's crossing then the glass key and go read red harvest

Sanjuro was only really made because Toho wanted a sequel, and it shows. At least it's got that bloody showdown at the end, pretty gruesome for its time.

Literally just go to the fucking library. This isn't an obscure film, it's been officially subtitled for decades.

is yojimbo the one where [Spoiler?] they charge with swords vs an army with muskets? [Spoiler?]

well that didint work sorry

That's Ran i think

It's available in Netflix (at least for Spain)

just being able to speak japanese is not enough to fully appreciate any japanese kino. you have to be japanese.

Which final showdown stunt was better though? Bodyguard throwing knife into shooting hand or a steel plate-vest made out of mine cart?
I'd say mine cart because the hole sequence is great and has a set up even before they beat Clint up, like when they explicitly point out that Ramon shoots only into heart and that armor set that they were shooting foreshadowing what he will do, unlike the bodyguard who just trains in a hut with a knife and a leaf for 1 minute.

yojimbo

God youre a fucking idiot

I feel like Throne of Blood always gets ignored when people talk about Kurosawa. I thought it was an exceptional take on MacBeth, and it being done in the style of traditional Noh theatre just made it all the more interesting. It's viewing a european theatre monolith through a VERY japanese looking glass.

go buy it, retard