What am I in for? Is it like Kong: Skull Island?

What am I in for? Is it like Kong: Skull Island?

>What am I in for?
The Trump eleciton

dude noble savages lmao
dude female stronk lmao

>Is it like Kong: Skull Island?

Patterson is good in this
>Is it like Kong: Skull Island?
no

It was good but it Sup Forums hates everything

>Charlie Hunnam

Skip. Just watched King Arthur last night, he's terrible in everything he's in

I like it so far. Man must go on a mission because it is his duty, but he also wants to as well.

you are mentaly deranged.

not a fan of the guy but he was quite solid in this

it's a pretty nice movie honestly, in the middle of the constant flow of shit i have watched recently it's quite refreshing, good adventure movie

PTA said that James gray is his favorite contemporary film maker and his role model.

The guy is a major critics darling in France and is constantly invited to the Cannes festival every film lover knows his name yet he is utterly unknown in the USA. It's really fucking weird.

>yet he is utterly unknown in the USA.
We Own the Night turned a lot of people off with its strangeness. I think that was his one chance to break out here.

Real shame, it was his most accessible effort but still was the opposite of what pleb audiences wanted. It's a very sensual and subdued film like his others but it has some really iconic set pieces and a similar story to the departed. But the tone and cinematography is much better. The car chase is absolutely fantastic.

>Lost City of Z

Is this a Zombie flick?

Sup Forums is pleb central that watches capeshit.

>vertical pic
>lights on

this is a lovely film.

I was merely pretending

I think The Departed is more memorable as a whole, but We Own the Night is a severely underrated movie which, like you said, has a lot of iconic imagery. I think the sensuality turned a lot of people off.

>Is Lost City of Z a steaming pile of juvenile shit like Kong

No.

CH did good.

Gray isn't appreciated, where is his Palme or Oscar nomations or prizes

The Immigrant is a great film, flew under the radar in the US as well

and Yards is fantastic too.

FUNNY how this film is looking back into history and search of the unknown and his next film IIRC is a sci-fi film in the future looking into the unknown space.

He really amped the scale up from small time American crime dramas lel

It wasn't released anywhere. I saw We Own the Night in an AMC that plays stuff like LOTR or Transformers. Whereas I saw The Immigrant in an arthouse theater where it was only playing in my state.

>that last shot in the Immigrant
pvre kvno

Little Odessa was better than The Yards. For me it goes

The Immigrant > Lost City of Z > Little Odessa > We Own the Night > The Yards

I still need to see Two Lovers. I don't doubt I'll like it.

>City of Z
>Z

What a fucking retarded name

Two Lovers suffers a lot from melodrama and tererible miscasting. It's half decent.

Immigrant > Z > Yards > LO > 2L imho. Love him desu.

I'm definitely watching it tonight. Z is a brilliant film, some of the most charming scenes this year
>That part where they sing "Soldiers of the Queen" while getting shot at with arrows

>Produced by Brad Pitt
something tells me he wanted to play Percy Fawcett, but maybe dropped out and they had to get Charlie Hunnam who's kind of a budget version of Pitt.

how do you guys think Ad Astra is gonna turn out? It has Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones, it's sci-fi, it's about fathers and sons (of course).

Exciting and interesting Amazon exploring scenes followed by themes of class and family struggle back in 19th century London, then back to the Amazon again but this time with a fat dumb rich oaf who fucks him over, then followed by more slow burn court/soceity drama in London and a random stint in WW1, and then back to Amazon with his So some trippy ass cliffhanger of an ending.

Overall 8/10, they were ambitious in this one. I enjoyed it, had some well done cinematography and decent acting, just wish they had mostly focused on the exploring in the jungle because that's where it really shined.

Most Gray films are good, no reason to think that ain't gonna be.

I liked the passage of time as displayed in the film too, for example three different trips to Bolivia are all distinct and different. World War 1 (film starts like years before it) was also great bit.

Poorly edited and zero emotion. It's not good.

Graykino

The Immigrant > Two Lovers > Lost City of Z > We Own the Night

I like/love all of them desu famalamadingdong

it was good but it dragged on
I was waiting for the end once they showed the WW1 shite

>and zero emotion
That's just wrong.

Was I supposed to care about the kid and his non-character or the dad's three trips where literal who's die a few times.

You were supposed to identify with Fawcett's dream of conquest and his fetish of being a leader. It is a movie where, if you were a woman or a numale, you would not understand.

>that ending
what the fuck was that? How can they end it like that and not give us any more information.
Pretty sad desu, i'm thinking they were both burned alive or drowned.

It was Laurence of Arabia if made by an incompetent. Just because I was supposed to doesn't mean I did. Also, what the fuck is that gay little jab, you fucking child?

I got emotional for Fawcett's personal scenes.

>James Grey
>incompetent
filthy pleb. get out of here.

>Muh director can't make a bad movie!
Ok, dude.

He can make a bad film, but Z wasn't it.

The Yards and We Own the Night weren't amazing to me. Lost City of Z was. Fruitful ambition in every sense of it. I came away with a new appreciation for Charlie Hunnam, who really carried the thing.

I'm glad you got something out of it. To me, it's a movie with exactly 2 good scenes, atrocious editing, and weak characters.

>atrocious editing
what was atrocious about it? when people say this, I assume they mean it felt long. I did not feel the length at all. In fact, I was enraptured with every new trip to the jungle, but fearful of the characters not making it home. I was relieved every time he returned, but like Percy I felt the gnaw he felt, his desire to return to the glory, which is why he's so easily swept up by the fraud Murray.

I'm sorry you didn't like it on the level I did. What were the two good scenes?

Yards is amazing, what didn't you like about it?
>Those lights messing with character moments
what did Gray mean by it?

>tfw you realize the madness of the ambition Fawcett had.

The scenes felt disjointed and time feels like it didn't move with a lack of transitions. This is especially bad in the first expedition. When they are attacked, people we haven't even seen were getting hit and a black guy showed up mid scene. Also, the expedition feel like it took 3 days. Now that we've found the waterfall, we jump cut back to England.

The scenes I thought were great were when he addressed the society, and then later with the meeting with the fat fuck.

I'll admit it's been years since I saw it, but I did not appreciate how simple Joaquin Phoenix played his character. I didn't get any nuance from him at all, he was just a scumbag. This was a far cry from Tim Roth's protagonist in Little Odessa.

>Now that we've found the waterfall, we jump cut back to England.
They had a whole ten minute sequence where Percy found all the trinkets and the pottery and the tree carvings after they found the waterfall. Then they show the crew carrying a dead boar back to the raft. It was a good way to end the first expedition.

I will give you the black guy just showing up out of nowhere though, did not clock him when they first took the raft out.

Bump

Some folk are just scumbags. Part of crime profession. His opposite was Walhberg.

>tfw that butchered cut sucks ass

wait... there's another cut?

also I thought Wahlberg's character was just kind of... dumb. I know he's supposed to be low-class but he just lets everyone sort of walk all over him and kind of shrugs along with it.

The Unrated cut is 113 minutes and two scenes from the original theatrical R-rated cut have been removed. This version is about two minutes shorter. The final scene in court when Leo testifies and states that he has reformed and is reentering society as a productive citizen, has been dropped. A brief scene early in the film in which Willie (Phoenix) describes the importance of favors and gifts and "making it happen" is also cut (this scene however does appears on the included trailer on the DVD). The end credits now begin with 'empty' views of the film's settings before moving into the credits list. Also included on the DVD are several deleted scenes.

might motivate a rewatch then. thank you!

it's much better