So whats the consensus on final crisis?

So whats the consensus on final crisis?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicscube.com/2011/01/so-what-was-final-crisis-about.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's awesome.

I love it, but i'm the guy from the Ousiders thread.

And coincidentially i`m the one who started it

Let's fuck?

yes

London?

canada

Ah well

Brilliant.

If I had to choose a book to serve as the final DC story it would be this.

Makes most event comics look like the wheel-spinning, creatively void exercises in futility they are

One of the most creative events ever, lots to talk about, the death of batman felt heavy, important, even when you knew he was coming back, darkseid was just scary, the supermen was amazing.

It also felt 2 issues short, but that's the only bad thing i can say. Plebs thought it was confusing, but that's a plus. You had to pay attention, it wasnt pop corn crap like secret invasion or blackest night.

One of the greatest comic books of all time.

Great concept, great execution.

However, the scale was too big. No villain or hero can be bigger or badder. It's event like this that require reboots.

Which is absolutely not saying it's not amazing, it was, but it possibly has a detrimental effect in the long term.

I hear what you're saying, but a if you ask me, Crisis should be the most maximalist, bar-setting event conceivable. There shouldn't be any room left over to go bigger.

>Plebs thought it was confusing
Final Crisis was the comic that started me down the Morrison rabbit hole after a steady diet of Geoff Johns n' friends.

>It's event like this that require reboots.

I agree 100%.

This should had been the start point of "new52" not fucking flashpoint.

But not in the real sense of reboot. With Batman inc and the integration of wildstorm etc.

What was his purpose again?

>This should had been the start point of "new52"
Wasn't that DC's plan at one point?
Thought I heard that somewhere.

>This should had been the start point of "new52" not fucking flashpoint.

CORRECT. People forget that the point of Crises is supposed to be making a reboot an exciting in-universe event. Waiting a few years and doing it with a Flash mini is super dumb.

Flashpoint was adequate. If anyone deserved the event spotlight, it's Flash.

I'll agree though it wasn't exciting. There's no drama with alternate universes, who cares if, for example, Batdad died, he was a new character we had no history with.

Same role the original Sonny Sumo played in the Forever People.
That's all that the Super Young Team are, is the Forever People of the Fifth World.

The downfall of modern DC

It cemented the fact that DC characters can never change. They're mythic, they're archetypal. They are something other than characters. Batman is the smartest in the room and Superman is as strong as he needs to be. There is no other way.

At DC’s retailer roadshow at Orlando yesterday, the assembled crowd were told a story about the original plans for the 2011Flashpoint event from DC Comics.

The event from 2011 saw the DC Universe reality change, Age Of Apocalypse style, and the DCbooks replaced by twisted parallel dimensional versions, before the New 52 relaunch that soft rebooted DC continuity.

Originally, Flashpoint was supposed to do what Convergence is doing now, becoming aholding place, a band aid, for booksduring theoriginally plannedmove of DC Comics from New York to Burbank, which was then delayed until 2015. Atthe end of Flashpoint, the books were originally going to continue as normal without the reboot,and Multiversity was intended to be born from Final Crisis.

But obviously, things change. But they told the crowd thatConvergence is the culmination of everything DC has had planned and on the table from the New York era.

And DC will be reborn in Burbank.

>Batman is the smartest in the room and Superman is as strong as he needs to be. There is no other way.
as it should be

Has there been a storytime of this recently?

I'm curious to see what the fuss is all about...

and people wonder why everyone calls Superman boring

meme

Maybe user means London, Ontario

Flashpoint was dumb stupid fun.

Manhke should have drawn the entire story

Superman Beyond is still one of my favorite stories of all time

Thats what everyone wants anyways

It wasn't final

I can't believe how much love people have for this. It was Morrison Meta masturbation that was incredibly disjointed. It jumped all over to plot threads that were barely established before being brought to a clusterfuck Deus Ex Machina ending.

I loved Morrison's Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer and JLA but this was utter trash.

Didn't read the event, but loved the Superman mini

> Space and time were literally collapsing due to Darkseid

No shit it felt disjointed

Is it possible to understand Final Crisis reading only the main series and ignoring the tie-ins?

That doesn't mean it was good. Morrison was clearly trying to top his previous works and it felt rushed and forced.

Yeah, I read it as mostly a standalone the first time through. Tie-ins help a lot though. They delve deeper into threads that are briefly touched on otherwise.

I'm planning on reading it for the first time this weekend, I might storytime it then.

The only tie-in that is absolutely essential is Superman- Beyond 3D.
Legion of Three Worlds is good too, and essential for Superboy Prime's story, but mostly serves to explain where Clark was while the world fell to hell.

It didnt, go read infinite crisis and civil war.

>Cemented
It had been a fact since long. Final crisis was just a meta message stating that.

BANE?

Thank you, I was worried about start reading and don't understanding shit, but now I'm more confident. Also, I will follow the Superman 3D and LoTW tips

Also read,

COIE
Infinite Crisis
Animal Man
Seven Soldiers
The Bat-Epic up to where it intersects with Final Crisis

I've read it 3 times and I still don't understand what the fuck was going on with Kamandi. I love the story though

>I still don't understand what the fuck was going on with Kamandi
this

Naw it definitely did. Hence why tie-ins were essential.

the only tie-in that was essential was Superman Beyond, and they include that in the trade anyway

Still convoluted.

" And that's the ultimate irony of FINAL CRISIS, I think. In trying to write an allegory about "saving the DC Universe from a greed and loathing beyond measure" and saving DC Comics from the vampiric practices of comics culture, Morrison wrote a story that you would only fully understand if you knew of the history of comics and current industry practices, which could possibly be considered just as vampiric as anything he was speaking out against. "
comicscube.com/2011/01/so-what-was-final-crisis-about.html

Spot on

Aye

Superman Beyond 3D is kind of necessary. But that's it.

Batman RIP also helps as a prequel of sorts, not really needed but helps as a companion piece.

4 u

lol

haha

lmao

You're looking at it backwards.

That trope has been WELL FUCKING ESTABLISHED for decades.
What Final Crisis did was try to create a mythology to justify the existence of that trope,
instead of writers who seem oblivious to how cliche it is but still push it all the same.

Not for the new, casual, or stupid.

>In trying to write an allegory about "saving the DC Universe from a greed and loathing beyond measure"

>Multiversity: Final Crisis 2: Final-er Crisis: 2Final 2Crisis

I don't like the main story but Superman Beyond 3D is 10/10 and some of the tie-ins that have nothing to do with the main story are good

Nigga, it's the final chapter in the neverending story. Aren't you paying attention?

DUDE

DMT

But the story never ends. Not really.
Though Superman wished for a happy ending, both for that story and THE STORY.

I've had this file name for like 4 years

Flashpoint was retarded. He fucking collects the same chemicals and sits outside waiting for a thunderbolt to hit him? What the fuck? And then they invalidated Batman's origin with that letter shit

Stupid

>go read worse shit to make this seem adequate

No thanks

All event books are trash

Great.

Really needed superman beyond.

>And then they invalidated Batman's origin

He invalidates Batman, There's nothing special about bruce, the suit makes you batman

4 u