Anyone else tired of take charge women leads with no personality in movies?

Anyone else tired of take charge women leads with no personality in movies?

I don't care as long as they're cute as fuck

I personally enjoyed this one and liked what they did. It didn't really feel forced, and I don't think it would've been as effective with a male lead. However, The Force Awakens was very forced and didn't work at all. I see where you're coming from and agree with you in certain instances.

>Rogue One worked better than TFA
Your opinion is different than mine

No, I need more Jyn and Bunnyfu!

>all this diversity
>shitty cliche quipping droid ends up being best character
Finished watching this movie couple hours ago for the first time. First half was boring as hell, since battle started it was getting better, but all those dramatic deaths kinda ruined it.

>Your opinion is different than mine
how dare you

Kinda, yeah. I'm a guy so I don't really know the feminism stuff, but it seems weird that the generic mainstream audience that tends to lean into feminism doesn't actually like feminine leads.

Ya know what I mean? I guess I should say that they're writing male roles and insterting women instead (WW, Rogue One, Hunger Games, etc.) instead of actually making feminine/female roles (I dunno, shit like Helen or Scarlett O'Hara, shit like that)

Maybe it's just a culture thing, and culture now is women=men in every way. Seems a little sad though, the characters are always seem to be flat and rather boring

>mfw I bought a bunch of Rogue One/Jyn Erso novels because Jyn is best waifu

user, your post is written very terribly.
But you're right, modern female roles are incredibly lazy.
>8 year old me walks out of the theater doing jumpkicks and loving badass women
>this movie would be considered sexist today

I'm a bad writer, sue me.

>I'm a blog writer
ftfy

I thought Jyn Erso was actually rather well developed for a Star Wars character.

It's because feminine has become a bad word. How do you write a strong female character when portraying them realistically is considered taboo?

You just write a male role and cast it with a woman. Ignore all biological differences, physical and emotional and instinctual. The new role model for little girls is secretly men.

There is no reason that all movie parts can't be played by straight white males. Any movie part that is cast as not a straight white male is just (((them))) trying to promote white genocide.

I agree.

Did you say "Take charge women with no personality"

That's a fair point. Though, film is (ideally) a reflection of culture, and what is culture saying about women? Namely that woman means nothing.

Not in the good sense of "don't have to be a home maker, do what you're good at, etc." but rather the "sleep around, be kind of a dick" thing getting pushed around now. The best example I can think of is Amy Schumer, though she's really more an embodiment of it.

Maybe it's a counterculture push, prior to 60's women were strictly feminine, post that there's an ever-increasing move towards women being the opposite of that- namely just shittier men, instead of the individual balance of feminine and masculine traits that make up a good person

Fuck off this was diversity done 95-100% right.
It wasn't called out or focused on or made into a message, it was just there & felt natural.

I'm just tired of scenes where a girl beats someone up and a guy has to stand in the background mouth agape unable to believe what he's seeing. it's star wars, there's weird aliens and massive ships around every corner, a girl beating people up with a club is not that fantastical

Oh just the fact that a 110 pound girl can beat up a soldier. Or soldiers...

Jyn used blasters in the movie.
Not wrestler grapples and tossing men with her legs like every other "strong, badass woman."

she only used the blaster on the last two troopers, and she used her baton stick thing for the other guys first

completely unrealistic

She's cute but thats about it. Not really beauiltiful with those pursed fish lips and rat teeth. I also thought it was weird the way she never once smiled in the film with her teeth almost like she's embarrassed or uncomfortable.

It was almost diversity done right, except the only reason they had a diverse cast is because if they were all white males nobody would actually be able to tell the characters apart, because they're all personality-free non-entities.

Diversity in Rogue One exists only so that you can go "y'know, the er, the Mongolian one, or whatever."

Nope because my thinking it not orientated by insecurity of women and the overblown attention a few mental feminists receive to warrant a backlash.

Them again, I'm 35 yrs old, married and own my home.
Perhaps hating women is a young man's concern

>Anyone else tired of take charge women leads with no personality in movies?
Not nearly as tired as I am of people who wont shut the fuck up about star wars.

do you have any kids yet? any plans to have kids?

Post more Jyn.

Your opinion is shit. That's my opinion

but she was the best soldier ever when she was just 16! this movie was fucking garbage just like tfa

>I also thought it was weird the way she never once smiled in the film with her teeth almost like she's embarrassed or uncomfortable.
I noticed that as well. I assumed it was because if she moves her face too much her wrinkles and crows feet become too noticeable.

>dramatic deaths
This killed it for me too. Their deaths were unnecessary and felt forced just to justify the whole "this is a suicide mission" theme

TFA is a nostalgia popcorn flick and Rogue One is a steaming pile of tonally confused garbage with flat performances and near-soulless characters.

I guess to reiterate your point, but slightly shorter, the diversity in the movie was played fairly straight (except the blind, asian, kung-fu master, mystic-monk guy seemed fairly stereotypical), but it was forced in the casting.

uhhhh, no? you fucking shitlord

Rogue One is the best star wars movie.
No Mary sue, a fresh perspective on characters instead of just muh jedis all the time, the characters actually die and feel vulnerable and of course, based Mads is in it. The only downsides are the slow start and the lack of John Williams as the composer.

its weird after seeing daisey ridley who has a large jaw and loves smiling with her goddamn teeth

>Their deaths were unnecessary and felt forced just to justify the whole "this is a suicide mission" theme
So much this. Some asswipe a while ago tried to justify it as some existentialist bullshit. It really makes no difference whether the characters lived or died because there's not a whole lot done to make the audience feel attached to them.

How else are they going to sell that shit in China? Let's be real though, Donnie Yen is fucking awesome in everything. The Mexican could've fucked off though.

I remember nothing about the personality of the characters in this. It's lowkey one of the least interesting movies Ive seen in my life but it isn't offensively bad. With the latter you can at least watch it ironically and laugh.

> a few mental feminists

You're really underestimating how much pull these cunts have. Star Wars was built by a man, and in his own words, for boys, and now a woman is inserting her feminist power-fantasies in every single one of these movies, it's mildly depressing to see my favorite franchise as a kid turn out like this

The "your father would be proud" is more beautiful then any single track Williams ever composed for SW.

>there's not a whole lot done to make the audience feel attached to them
Did their qips not do it for you?

>Rogue One is the best star wars movie
>is the best star wars movie
>best star wars movie
>best star wars
>best
No. It's the absolute fucking worst. It had potential to be good, but the writing and performances were crap. I agree that Jyn wasn't a Mary Sue, though. Her character is still boring and uninteresting.

Kek, nope. Pathetic as fuck. Might as well have had a laugh track behind them and a "bazinga!" thrown in for shits and giggles.

Your first sentence is really accurate about R1.

Absolutely not. FemDom is kino.

>>shitty cliche quipping droid ends up being best character
I didn't even fucking like him the whole movie, he wasn't funny at all, yet by the end I realized he was still my favorite character, and the one with the most personality. A fucking droid had more personality than any of the humans.

Also
>Fuck off this was diversity done 95-100% right.
>It wasn't called out or focused on or made into a message, it was just there & felt natural.
This is very true. Honestly it was one of the only things I thought the movie did really fucking well, and I hope more movies take a hint from it. I'm not some white guilt faggot but I really love diversity in movies when it's done naturally and not forced, which should be super fucking easy to do but for some reason Hollywood is a bunch of retards.

Jyn is one of the most interesting characters we have from the movies.

To be fair, nobody in that fucking movie had a personality.

Second this

I was so disappointed after watching it, and completely amazed when I found out how much praise it was getting

Ever been hit with a nightstick?

There is a reason we have fingers and not clubs for hands...

We have fingers so we can hold clubs in our hands.

I'm happy that Sup Forums STILL hasn't recovered from rogue one

Absolutely, just about as tired as I am of take charge male leads with no personality in movies.

Or bullshit romance B-plots that fail 99% of the time because said plot is so poor structured.

I just want characters to have complex personalities that are likeable (even when they aren't) that get involved in difficult situations in which they have to use their wits and traits to succeed instead of brute force. Too much to ask?

You have to remember you're asking Hollywood. So, yes.

Yes.
Which doesn't necessarily mean the take charge woman needs to go away, she just needs to be interesting and have more personality than "look at me, I'm a woman and I kick ass and maybe I had a sad past or something".

This

>Get woman in her mid thirties to play a teenager.
What did Kathleen Kenedy mean by this.

The movie establishes from the very beginning that Jyn Erso is above all a tragic character. The Empire ruined her life and all the hardships she's been through made her develop a cold persona. I don't expect her to smile much.

Did you go see Wonder Woman? She ended up being cute as fuck. She's a fierce warrior, sure, but she's also very feminine.

Honestly when the shit storm about tfa and rogue one was happening with the female leads I didn't worry about it. Couple girls, no big deal. But then battlefront 2 and forces of destiny were announced. The last four major star wars properties have had female leads. Most of the time it isn't necessary. From the beginning, star wars has been the classic, cowboys and indians, adventure through space for young boys. Of course, the lore and mythos have developed greatly since then, but it's really always been the same until now. It's a forced change of focus. I mean jesus why does battlefront 2 need this? Video games have a very large male audience, specifically star wars ones. It just doesn't need to happen. It's like taking your daughter and son's toys and swapping them around to "combat gender roles" when in reality all it does is confuse the kids.

What makes a good personality for a female lead, then?

>I don't expect her to smile much.
I know holocsust victims who smile more than her. She's obviously uncomfortable smiling

Quiet, submissive, knows when to speak and knows when 'silence is golden'. kind of like geisha .

oh and most important is not a belittle or if men

Wonder Woman is Best Girl! She takes charge and has plenty of personality.

I saw Wonder Woman, and I loved it! She was strong and in charge, but wasn't bossy. She was vulnerable to the suffering of innocents. There was an innocence about her that rejoiced at the sight of babies and loved ice cream.

Eh. No worse than take-charge men with no personality in movies. But it'd be nice if these movies actually built a lead character, for once.

Her speech to the Rebellion was cringey as fuck though

I'm fascinated how Sup Forums liked this at first, but as time moved on they slowly began to shit on it

But Daisy Ridley has so much range.

>diversity done 95-100% right
>it was just there & felt natural
except it was 95-100% BULLSHIT when the diversity is nothing more than a diverse group of humans. i can care less if they got a chick, two asians, a spaniard, and a pakistani to play the characters of Rogue One when it's a series with various ALIEN RACES and not one person in the group is a non-human beside the robot. so no, the diversity isn't just there and didn't feel natural.
pic related, also tried to do diversity and failed miserably, especially to a game that did it better 3 years prior