Why is the new writing so bland and... stupid...

Why is the new writing so bland and... stupid? All of a sudden Batman can make insane mathematical estimations in his head. In the first issue he's doing complex geometry to get to the falling airplane. Second issue he tells Not Superman "Oh Grundy would've trampled that dude in .7 seconds and you would've got him in 1.3 seconds you're sloppy". The fuck? I thought Batman was human? And a super hero centric plot, really?

math isn't hard

Maybe I'm retarded then. Normal people just think like he does?

What's exactly is the problem of a super hero centric plot around Batman?

Well, I mean we've already seen this with Batman/Superman teamups. I guess it's kind of interesting because Batman isn't sure how to handle threats that need a super human but he's always either A) did detective work and stopped crooks from getting that far or B) had some crazy gadget or mech or whatever to stop huge disasters. Just seems totally unlike Batman to actually not get all the missiles back in the first issue.

Also, thinking about it, I get math isn't hard but he's doing all that shit in his head while driving/fighting/whatever? How did he know the speed Gotham and Grundy were going? It just sounds unrealistic, he could've just said something like "you were going too slow to save that man from Grundy so I had to intervene" instead he literally brings in how many seconds it'd take for Grundy to get to the man vs Gotham getting to Grundy.

Because King in all probability doesn't really like Batman and only took the gig for recognition and a nice payday. At least, that's the impression I got from reading his interviews about the character, and so far his work on the character just seems to be a half-assed attempt to give fans what he thinks we want.

Batman isn't normal.

>Complex geometry
He told Alfred to boost the jets on one side more than another to get the plane to tilt enough. The other bits were simple math - building is X tall so we're not going to make it, the space between buildings is less than the wingspan so we're not going to make it level.

As for the distance thing, I'm not a master martial artist or anything but I can eyeball the speed something is going and can pretty accurately estimate the time it would take them to reach like that.

>Well, I mean we've already seen this with Batman/Superman teamups. I guess it's kind of interesting because Batman isn't sure how to handle threats that need a super human but he's always either A) did detective work and stopped crooks from getting that far or B) had some crazy gadget or mech or whatever to stop huge disasters. Just seems totally unlike Batman to actually not get all the missiles back in the first issue.

You know that batman was fighting vampires and monsters in 1940? right?

fucking casuals

He isnt normal.

I disagree, but still, I can't really blame King for jumping on the biggest selling book at DC after writing some of the worst selling books at both Marvel and DC. If he hooks casuals than most of his future projects should sell at least decently well, which would be excellent, since he deserves it.

You know King, being Ex-CIA, could've written a more detective-heavy story with his knowledge. You know, with Batman actually investigating since he's the word's greatest detective.

Okay maybe not complex geometry but he just sounds very odd. He sounded SURE of those seconds too. I get you can eyeball but still.

I get he's fought crazy supernatural shit in the past but Batman seems to do best when he's more grounded and fighting more realistic villains. Ok ok, yes there's some good supernatural stories, especially with elseworld stuff and it's cool to add in that element but we basically just got Superman and Supergirl with some stupid done before government conspiracy plot.

>he's doing complex geometry to get to the falling airplane
>complex geometry

You only need to know basic physics and trigonometry.

Right right not complex geometry but still he just comes off as sounding and thinking like a machine not a person. He's doing this very fast and multi-tasking as well, under heavy stress.

>He sounded SURE of those seconds too. I get you can eyeball but still.
You know you can estimate a second with reasonable accuracy by simply saying "one Mississippi" and drawing a circle in the air, right? It's not that hard to estimate this sort of thing, especially when you're some kind of master martial artist and can see and mentally/physically react to things really quickly.

Even if it's feasible he just sounds stupid. The writing is really lame. I miss Snyder.

Have you never read a Batman thing before

What amazes me is that some people on Sup Forums want complete Batgod, but some people seem to get mad at Batman showing any level of exceptional competency. It's like you want him to just be some average guy trying his darndest

Johns is that you?

You are just a faggot crying like a little patethic bitch over
>not muh

Can't you even stand a single arc centred entirely along Batman fighting meta human/ monster level threats? EVERY arc and story has to follow your faggot ass opinion and the same kind of plot/story from when you was a little child?

Seriously, are you a manchild? At least Hellboy fans can accept their character in MULTIPLE settings and adventures, but you are here being like a fag and crying over meanless shit?

You are patethic and half of what is wrong with comic book fans.

>I miss Snyder.
We get to the crux of your issue, I see.

Read stuff written by Snyder, Morrison, Miller, Moore, some elseworlds stuff, Batman Year 100.

>Aggressively getting up in my shit for speaking my opinion on a board about discussing opinions on comics and cartoons
>Generic anime picture
>Ad hom everywhere
>False equivolency with Hellboy
How about you calm down m8? If somebody likes the new Batman that's fine. People have been defending it and that's fine. It's all FINE.

I don't necesarily want Snyder back but he definitely hooked me more than Kingh has.

On a less grand scale. As someone who's worked at a coffee place when the Starbucks people take like 7 minutes to make my drink and I know I could have done it in a fraction of that time, it can be obnoxious. It's not a leap to think Batman sees someone else doing superheroics and gets frustrated knowing they're taking too long.

> Batman seems to do best when he's more grounded and fighting more realistic villains.

>we basically just got Superman and Supergirl with some stupid done before government conspiracy plot.

So you don't want plots that were 'done before' but you want batman to stick to what he seems to do best at? Yeah sure.

And I get that and that's fine to convey it's just how he says it. Maybe he's been written like that before, it was mainly a small thing. The grander story King has isn't much to talk about honestly. First issue was okay, second issue much didn't happen, all we learned is that the new super heroes have a dark secret.

Ok you can have plots 'done before' but just make them interesting. I get the feeling my opinion on the new comics is in the minority.

>ITT faggot crying because the greatest writer of the decade is doing a different take on batman
Really?
Other writers had Batman as a fucking god, but you think that using simple trigonometry is superhuman?

What's this bullshit about Monster Men? that's fucking anti-batman bullshit

>Batman sees someone else doing superheroics and gets frustrated knowing they're taking too long.

That sounds totally Batman. 100%

He doesn't sound normal, I've never seen a character say the shit Bats did unless they were some sort of machine. Maybe its not superhuman but it sounds un-human.

Also on a less grand scale, experienced twitch gamers can time their actions to fractions of a second. It's pretty reasonable Batman's basically taking out his frustrations on newbs.

>Morrison
And you're complaining about Batman being super competent now?

The writing's fine, it doesn't take a genius to parse it. Sorry he didn't expound a full paragraph on it like Snyder does? I much prefer this to windbag Batman.

>He doesn't sound normal
If you've ever played WoW or any sort of co-op team gaming, it's a conversation that can happen at higher levels.

You are a whiny faggot.

Have you met an engineer?
Go to /sci/, for fuck sake. Literally anyone can do some math.

>I'm complaining because Batman is shown as a super genius

Drink bleach, faggot

Ok OP is just baiting at this point, right? Everyone is responding to the same guy who keeps making these vague complaints that make no sense.

don't be retarded. batmans supposed to be the peak human being mentally and physically in this fictional comic book realm which means he's easily smarter than just about anyone in reality. him being able to comprehend fractions of a second isn't far fetch or abnormal at all and not something to get this upset about.

/thread

>He doesn't sound normal
He isnt normal

Goddamn you listed some of the most entry-level stuff ever... and then Morrison.

>Morrison
Are you kidding me? Morrison's Batgod was way more hyper-competent than King's.

>Miller
Didn't Miller's Batman also do a bunch of exact calculations?

>Moore
You mean the two stories he wrote?

Come on dude.

>Snyder
Well, yeah, that makes sense that you'd suggest it as different from this. Snyder's run was cool, but his Batman was kind of a dumb angry manchild.

I haven't met an engineer lol.
Batman's supposed to be a normal dude, maybe with above average intelligence, with a shitload of skillsets.
I guess that's fair. Story hasn't really hooked me still but whatever.

Fine, he can sound like a robot because 'he isn't normal' and he's at the tip top of human condition. King is only trying to show how vulnerable of a human he is, so let's make him sound like a super genius pro (who almost died at the end of the first comic) and make him easily take down a superhuman in a single flip (normally he'd have to rely on gadgets and more physical attacks to take grundy down, even in the TAS universe). Let's ensure he's as superhuman as possible so we can really relate to how vulnerable of a human he is.

What are the differences between each Batman run?

>Batman's supposed to be a normal dude, maybe with above average intelligence, with a shitload of skillsets.

KEK!

>maybe with above average intelligence
>normal human

This fucking retard. In what fucking world a normalhuman can split a meter wide tree with one kick or survive the emptyness of space, or block bullets??

>relate to how vulnerable of a human he is
>Batman

I just read a comic where batman during a fight with Mr freeze spoke only in fucking chess analogies. Dude batman doesn't just chat like one if the guys.

>Batman's supposed to be a normal dude

>Batman's supposed to be a normal dude

That hasn't been true for decades. I remember Morrison laughing his arse off when somebody said to him that why people like Batman is because anybody can be him. Nobody can be Batman. You can master every Martial art but if you went out every night and did what Batman does you would be dead in a week

>Why is the new writing so bland and... stupid?

It's Batman.

It sells just by that fact, DC doesn't even have to try to make it good, they put fucking Finch in charge of the art.

Okay boys, let's play it this way then-

>Is highly intelligent and can easily calculate speeds and trajectories within a second to seconds, etc. Was able to find out information only Gordon and one other person knew about.
>Wasn't intelligent enough to deduce where to find the last missile or intelligent enough to catch the guy who had it when he was running
>Wasn't intelligent enough to come up with a contigency plan either now or in the past to prevent a natural disaster or plane crash

Okay, so, he is supposed to be seen as the pro but at the same time vulnerable and incompetent? Guy had booster rocket shit on him but he couldn't have just had the batplane fly in and he move the plane safely out that way? Why wouldn't he have the batmobile be able to calculate where he nees to be shot off to get onto the plane or any object? So sometimes he's an incompetent dipshit, other times he calculates things in an insanely short period of time and takes out super villains that can withstand super-human punches with a judo flip.

Could have something to do with the fact that he just got supercharged after owning back from the dead that they did imply that dionesium shit can give suorrcharge you past your peak

>Not muh Batman: the thread

It really didn't take long for people really to start grasping at straws to bitch about.

Stop being so obtuse.

>King makes it big with B/C/D-list characters, by not insulting his audience with narration boxes, and by changing these characters for the better
>takes over for the most popular superhero
>bunch of casuals read King for the first time

"Waaah I dun get it where are the narration boxes"

>If Batman is so smart, why can't he prevent planes from ever crashing?

You realize there's a different between Batman competency and omniscience, right?

>Guy had booster rocket shit on him
That was in the Batmobile

>he couldn't have just had the batplane fly in and he move the plane safely out that way?
Was all the way back at the Bat Cave

>Why wouldn't he have the batmobile be able to calculate where he nees to be shot off to get onto the plane or any object?
You'd have to enter those parameters, which is exactly what he didn't have time to do and was having Duke do for him

>So sometimes he's an incompetent dipshit

He's not the one acting like a dipshit, friendo

>It really didn't take long for people really to start grasping at straws to bitch about.
It's literally just one guy in the thread (and also Damifag when he inevitably will show up)

Sorry user, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the character.

Bruce is in now way relatable. The man is pure exceptionalism - someone with near unlimited resources who has trained his body to the limit of human ability and has honed his mind from singular determination.

Bruce is about as relatable to common people as Lex, which is to say he isn't. Both are windows into what we all could be if we had the drive and the resources. Both also have flaws that cripple them just like any of us despite their otherwise amazing superiority.

Bruce and Lex aren't relatable and vulnerable. But you don't have to be in order to be a very, very fascinating character.

OP here, stop pocking fun at me! Its obvious that none of you have read a real Batman comic. Have you seem what King did to Calendar Man too?

Just seems to me like Batman is super smart or super strong when it's convenient to the plot. King was intending Bruce to be more vulnerable, you can tell, he's worried about dying on the job, about Dick dying on the job after him. Bruce almost dies in the first issue and has to get help from super humans. In other words, Bruce makes mistakes because he's HUMAN. But then, he's written in a way where he's OP only sometimes.

The big thing about Batman is prep time, Batman always preps. Batman KNEW someone had a missile, a big one, normally he'd deduce what targets that could be shot at. He would have investigated the man who took the missile or hell, he would've been there the night the missiles got retrieved and stopped him from running away. He is called the world's greatest detective but yet, barely any detective work if any at all. If this were any other writer, the airplane would've never been shot down, Bats would've stopped it. Oh, and yeah that's just convenient still, has these rocket boosters in the batmobile that can help with the situation.

>being this mad about a thread on Sup Forums just because you disagree with someone
Come now, user.

Friendly reminder that he just got done being a god of knowledge. Being good at math is not a big deal.

Batman fails to stop criminal plots he's investigating all the time. Fuck Tim sales batman stories are al predicated on this very idea.

Andr he wasn't op he just belted out a few mathematic calculations in one instance and used the rocket boosters in his ejector seat in another. That doesn't mean he should know all things.

Did something new with a character nobody gives a fuck about?

>Just seems to me like Batman is super smart or super strong when it's convenient to the plot

You don't say! Almost as if it's a capeshit book where competence and power levels are always in a flux.

Wasn't that in New 52 which was a different universe?
He still should've been prepared for that missile to be fired off. Guy's the richest mofo in the world, probably has access to crazy alien technology but couldn't teleport his batplane to him or have some contigency plan in case the missile gets fired off. And you're right, he isn't technically OP, oh wait, he disappeared and King made a point of saying Batman can do the impossible (Gotham couldn't see him with his vision).

*Jeff Loeb/Tim sale

This is a good point.

>comparing teleporting his entire jet to his location to the "batman disappears while talking to him" meme that has been going on for decades

There's been more than a few people bitching about King's run since it started. And it's always stupid shit like
>waaah how dare they revamp Calendar Man, King is a haaaaaack!
>Batman would not talk about his feelings when he thinks he's about to die!
>several autistic spazzes completely failing to understand the banter between Alfred and Bruce in #2 when Bruce jokingly says he trust no one and Alfred makes a quip about a wakisashi

We know Batman is with the justice league. We know that they have OP technology. Why not? Hell, why not have the batmobile turn into a jet? Or a mech? In a world where Batman is supposed to be ridiculously OP, he's conveniently subpar when the plot needs him to be.

Friendly reminder that over half of DC's current readership stayed away from New52 like unwahsed AIDS dick until Rebirth and now we have to catch up on the couple things we give a shit about.

>faggot start thread saying that Batman shouldn't have or fight meta humans villains and big disasters, he should only fight street level and monsters.

>now the faggot is whining saying that Batman should use power armors and be able to teleport.

This is how we know that you don't fucking care and is just trolling.

Friendly reminder that DC is under no obligation to keep retards and casuals who clearly have no interest in staying up to date informed.

Maybe he wants Batman to use a giant mech suit to fight street level crime. Did you ever think of that?

Think about how terrified a purse snatcher would be if Bat Gundam came running down the street after him.

All you idiots just told me how Batman is OP and it's not a big deal he acts like an unhuman robot. So, by your logic, why the fuck can't we have more ridiculous tech and prep time for Batman? Since he's not a normal dude with a good skillset but some OP mofo? King is contradicting Batman in this run by trying to make him seem vulnerable but an experienced vet with insane intellect at the same time. Batman is only 100% Batman when needed, other times he's 40% Batman ,etc. I don't care how King writes Batman, as long as the logic follows and it doesn't.

I wanna waych Big O now.

Now i've realized how much i want a Big O comic.

Look at this guy, look at him and laugh. This deluded, self-entitled nerdrage is hilarious.

I'm not mad, I'm just discussing shit late at night on Sup Forums with random anons lol.

I like how you tried to think of something ridiculous and stupid, but you just described Snyder's last arc.

Nigga is too stupid to notice that the entire arc is to make Batman go to his limit to be able to catch up with metas. Which makes everything from vulnarable human to genius veteran make sense.

You say this but Rebirths sales aren't as strong as New 52 and New 52's sales were better than what DC was pulling in before. Don't believe me? let's have a look at Batman's New 52 launch, a year before and a year after

New 52 1 188,420
Batman 703 77,033
Batman 13 148,305

He would've already caught up with metas being in the justice league. Your logic is flawed. You're defending bad writing.

>All you idiots just told me how Batman is OP and it's not a big deal he acts like an unhuman robot
You're really showing that you lack any reading comprehension. people are trying to tell you that Batman is more competent than any human could realistically be, but that doesn't mean he should be a no holds barred meta-sci-fi character. You sound exactly like the idiots in the 90s that O'Neil made fun of in Knightfall who kept asking for a Batman with guns and armor.

>Sup Forums has finally turned on King
I knew it would happen. It was inevitable.

>You know King, being Ex-CIA, could've written a more detective-heavy story with his knowledge. You know, with Batman actually investigating since he's the word's greatest detective.

He used his CIA background to write about political justice and conflicts in the Omega Men and it sold like complete ass. It's not suprising that he's going for more of a dumber blockbuster movie approach here.

>Sup Forums

It's one guy everybody else is calling a faggot

>He would've already caught up with metas being in the justice league

Not really.

And "catching up" is more of a constant battle that is way harder for a powerless human. This is the point.

>You say this but Rebirths sales aren't as strong as New 52
Wrong.

Batman #1 (2011) 188,420
Batman #1 (2016) 280,360

It's not Sup Forums, it's one guy who doesn't understand Batman as a character at all.

It's one guy that admittedly perferred Snyder which is fine, to each their own. Stop being over dramatic.

Because they were literally who's. Writing Batman gives you license to do whatever you like

What the hell you wanted on Batman?

Batman is the only exception though.

>Batman having prep time, doing actual detective work and having ridiculous technology in a world where Martian Manhunter and Darkseid are a thing and Bruce is rich as hell makes him a no holds bar meta-scifi character
Yeah, okay.

Others have hated on King, seems to be the minority though (according to this one thread).

Powerless human that can take down Grundy in a single judo move. Powerless human who has access to information only 1% of the world has access to. Powerless human whose called "The World's Greatest Detective" (but can't prep for/stop a guy with a missile). Powerless human whose obviously been helpful with the JL and is in his prime. Powerless human who has access to a shitload of money and the best technology on and off world. Powerless human that can disappear from a super-human's eyesight in a few seconds.

Not to mention nothing has indicated Batman needing to "catch up". The metahumans are asking him for help and Batman is dissing them on how slow they are.

He's writing slow burner mystery centered around Bruce's limitations and legacy of heroes theme, that's going to lead to a Hugo Strange and the Monster Men revival event in the fall. Perfect for Batman.

People need to stop take their ADD meds and learn that not everything has to be introduced and resolved within six issues. King is really good at long game storytelling.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Green Arrow also sold better and Superman is pretty much the same. I don't think comparing Green Lantern is really fair considering Johns' run was still going on in 2011. Overall Rebirth is doing better.

Well, maybe the arc s a whole will be decent but these individual issues have sucked. A lot of things are contradicting eachother. He just changes how competent Batman is depending on how he needs him to be for the plot and that's just bad writing.

>and having ridiculous technology
You realize giving Batman shit like teleporters would completely destroy the tone of Batman stories, right? Like that's ultimately what's most important- making Batman feel like Batman. In order for that to work Batman needs to be kept in a pseudo-narrative bubble away from a lot of other DC stuff that goes on. That's been the case for literally 50 years.

Alright I admit I fucked up. Action Comics didn't seem to do as well though. Fucking 1's man

Most Big 2 readers are stupid manchildren mate. This is the problem.

>Gotta keep in him in a bubble
>Let's mention the JL and introduce metahumans in the first issue!

>He just changes how competent Batman is depending on how he needs him to be
Except he's not. You're the only one who is having a hard time grasping how you can be prepared for some things but not literally everything.