Is Magnetic Rose the greatest animated feature of all time?

Is Magnetic Rose the greatest animated feature of all time?

>Flawless, beautiful animation
>Satisfying multifaceted storytelling with incredible sci fi concepts
>That ending

Name a single animation that is better.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What is this primitive Sup Forums shit? Here, I fixed it so it's Sup Forums related.

I want you to die.

>LE CALARTS MEME xD

You're just as bad as the shitty Sup Forums poster

I wish there were Sup Forums anthology films, I loved Genius Party, Short Peace, Robot Carnival, Memories, Neo-Tokyo goddamn this was all so good fuck

Is it just Heavy Metal here? I'm dying for more man

The soundtrack to that was amazing

Oh and the end credits of Memories

Akira.

Loved the movie, and pretty much anything directed by Satoshi Kon.
But this really isn't Sup Forums material.

Also an amazing soundtrack.

Fantasia

Stink Bomb is underrated and is basically Akira but with teen angst replaced with white collar adult anxiety.

Stink Bomb was fucking crazy

Based on a true story too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez

>Is Magnetic Rose the greatest animated feature of all time?
Excuse me?

Haven't seen it yet, but apparently there's one up on Netflix right now called Extraordinary Tales.

Not sure if this counts because the whole thing is by the same director and does incorporate the same art style throughout, but at least this follows a series of stories. I think Princes and Princesses by the same guy does the same thing.

Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder aren't half as good as Magnetic Rose. Memories should be renamed Magnetic Rose and it's two ugly friends.

Would Fantasia count? If it does, then you've got Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Saludos Amigos, and The Three Caballeros from Disney.

Also Allegro non Troppo.

I honestly can't think of anything, except maybe The Illusionist.

World of Tomorrow is also pretty great, but lacks the emotional punch of Magnetic Rose.

But couldn't Heavy Metal also be called STERRRRRN and friends?

Persepolis
It's such a beautiful day
Anomalisa
Fantastic planet

The other two animations on the same movie and 80% of the Franco-Belgin output for starters, you Sup Forums shitter. Read a book, take a shower, get a clue.

None of those are anthologies. Do you know what anthology means?

man that guy was such a fucking idiot i hope they found a way to kill him.

hey hey fuck you they were all great

i especially loved cannon fodder's artstyle

Funny, I just watched this 2 days ago for the first time. I probably agree with OP, it's hard to say the film is anything less of perfection.

I loved Magnetic Rose but "Memories" was a horrible anthology. You start off with one of the most beautiful and tragic animated works of all time, then a comedy about a guy who smells bad and then a good but still ill fitting story about communism. There's no common theme or consistency and it just feels jarring. They should of at least put the most thought provoking and emotion inducing story at the end so you have time to think about what you've seen. The whole thing came off as hamfisted.

Same creators btw. I honestly was more impressed by the animation in Magnetic Rose than Akira (both are tremendous) but I feel like since it was more recent they were able to implement a lot more complex and varied art in Magnetic Rose that felt far more intricate than many parts of Akira. I also think the pacing and story was far more memorable and unique and the fact it was shorter helped it to have more of an impact.

I keep seeing this but I didn't enjoy it at all. Am I missing something?

Also this scene gave me some crazy chills, great cinematography.

They really should have led with the gas toon, then the fire the cannon twice in an hour, then finish with the space one.

This thread is to good to die, great pieces of animation being discussed.

Cool World.

ITT: People don't know what "Anthology" means

I just came back from Heavy Metal and wow was it disappointing

Was Short Peace any good? Was the video game good too of it?

I enjoyed it well enough, my favorite short was the one with the yokai

>Short Peace
>that bruised sex slave the oni kept chained up

Tres good.

Okay, okay, why don't you point me to all the non super deformed Cal-Arts cartoons that are airing

Most of Miyazaki's filmography. Also, Mind Game.

>Mind Game

beautiful animation awful plot

Besides the fact that it's not a feature at all...

I actually am entertained the most by Stink Bomb, since it's essentially condensed Otomo with very impressive animation, plus the weird ska soundtrack is somehow fitting. I can also appreciate the pure artifice of Cannon Fodder. It's one of the better animation anthologies, I'll give you that, since all three segments have time to develop a bit.

No matter their country of origin, anthologies run the risk of having dud segments, though the quantity also ensures that you'll also find something to like. Even stuff with a lower quality average like Heavy Metal or Fantasia 2000 have some noteworthy segments.

I'd like to see what the sales are like for such anthologies, since they might not get much traction outside of festivals, which doesn't encourage people to make more of them.

Memories is best enjoyed when played out of order
3>2>1
or
2>3>1

Skeleton full of airplanes, dude

Well of course it's so good, it's got some of that Satoshi Kon magic.

Speaking of Kon, his filmography is pretty impressive and I'd say he's more cinematic than Otomo if that makes sense.