Star vs the Forces of Evil New Episode Talkback Thread

What did you think of the new episodes? I liked them both, especially Ludo in the Wild which came completely out of left field for me. I didn't expect a completely Star- and Marco-less episode to be so damn good.

Also, speculation on the characters they chose to include in the intro screen?

We already have a general, a Cola general
I stop now realy

They were both reasonably good. Ludo had the stronger episode, but both were clearly intended to advance a plotline. The diary stuff better not mean that writers are planning to pander to shippers, because that will destroy the show.

Fuck off.

>The diary stuff better not mean that writers are planning to pander to shippers
This show already panders to shipper, believe me, but they've done a really good job of it so far to keep it from being shit. There's not a whole lot I have faith in the writers to do right, but writing Star and Marco's relationship well is one thing they've proven themselves on.

True dat.

I like how they've managed to avoid most of the tropes when it comes to the whole will they, won't they dynamic.

I pray for fancy lizard man. I hope he return.

>Ludo and animal friends
Obviously going to be appearing this season about as much as in 1, probably as a more competent enemy for Star this time. Would be interesting to see how much of that is due to character development and how much is due to him fucking wielding Toffee's severed arm.
>Sensei/Jeremy
Going by posts Marco's VA made it seems we're getting a few more karate episodes this season.
>Sailor Moon
It's Spades, it's obviously Spades, probably the daughter or a relative of Miss Heinous as well. Who herself seems to be a relative of Star. Her appearing on the title screen should make it pretty obvious by now she's not Star.
>Buff Frog
All but confirmed he's becoming an ally of Star and Marco and that they'll be babysitting his kids.
>Tom/Janna/Oskar/Pony Head
They'll be showing up more this season according to official shit; their respective crushes and friendships such will probably also be highlighted.
>Jackie
Lovestruck pose seems to imply she and Marco will at least temporarily get together.
>Mr. Candle
We'll find out next week.
>Walking bush
I have no fucking idea.
>Miss Heinous/Assistant/Lizard
Showing up as villains. I don't think the lizard dude has anything to do with Toffee but is connected to St. Olga's somehow.
>Skullnick
Seems happier; maybe gets a boyfriend or something.
>Star and Marco's parents, Glossaryck
Obviously they're important in Star and Marco's personal lives, and Star's parents have connections to Mewni and the wand. Queen has a different crown thing going on and also has that look in the preview for the next episode.
>Magical creatures/Manfred/Quest Buy sloth/puppies/random elf guy
Just crowd fillers.
>Fly monster
Implication Toffee might still be alive? All the other monsters could be dead from the explosion since they've been removed from the screen and haven't been show in promos.
>StarFan13
Gag character who's funnier than someone like Sabrina.

This episode was written before season 1 had even aired.

May not be pandering if they had always planned for that to happen.

If Toffee is alive, he's missing an arm. Ludo has it.

he can just regrow another just like in storm the castle

I'm excited for the Toffee Wand to fuck shit up whether or not Ludo's on board with it.

Is it pandering if the legitimately intend for them to get together?

That sounds like what a shipper would say.

Just watched the first ever episode of this coming off finishing Gravity Falls
How does it compare, if at all to GF? Should I stop now if I'm hoping for it to be as funny (imo)

It's better than gravity falls except for the intro. I just don't like that fruitbowl voice

If you say so, didn't think the first ep was any good but I'll give it a fair chance.

>Ludo episode
Did not expect the fairy guy to get mauled to death as Ludo ate his remains.

It's a very dfferent beast.
It's less of a sombre mood with lots of growing pains and old regrets, more a whacky comedy with exuberant fantasy elements and heavy slapstick that slowly grows into a developing relationship.
In short it's not Hirsch's adolescent regret hour, but a dedicated fun time that treats the same themes with much more levity.
Marco is not the child that lusts after the growing woman, but every bit Star's equal and shown to be complementary in character.
Marco is not the runty kid who wants to show them all, but the attractive guy who remains oblivious to the feelings of the girls who want him while going full pasta around his crush.
He's really an even temper and likes to play it safe, much unlike Dipper who always has something to prove and makes everything about him.
On the other hand, Star is a manic magical girl, a spoiled brat with unlimited power, but a good soul. Although she remains oblivious to much of the shit she causes, she recognises when she fucks up and is held accountable, to a degree.
In this, it clearly wins over GF. The female characters are not only drawn from the perspective of a male lead, and are clearly shown to have faults, get meanspirited and called out for it, or made to look bad.
Especially Star, who is every bratty teenage girl dialed up to 11 at times.
But Marco's stalker chick is clearly creepy on several occasions, too.
The only one with no real mistakes is his crush so far. But we know nothing about her, and neither does Marco, really. She is just an object of desire rolling through the scene with no actual character development.

What I really like about the show is that it avoids shovelling blame and guilt tripping all the time.
Remember all the times Dipper had to take a step back for his moron sister who never got called out for being a dolt and almost destroying the world while Dipper was always at fault for everything he did? Like she was some kind of stupid animal not responsible for her deeds.

it's terrible and cringey and the only reason to watch it is waifubait

The long and short of it is that the show respects the female cast enough to give them flaws, doesn't make everything about a single active character and does not bother to assign guilt.
It's overall much more cartoony and delivers on what it promises, which is loads of fun and teenage behavior.
However, it doesn't have half the ambition of GF, either.
Although the first episode of season 2 showed that they know very well what they are doing here and have plans.

Yeah sounds even less like GF than I thought, but there aren't really many shows like it I guess. Thanks for the description though, doesn't sound too bad unless Star stays as unbearable as she does in ep 1

So there's more cartoon fun less cartoon sadness, I think I understand.

Ludo in the Wild reminded me that this existed.

Tom's gentle smile makes me think his redemption arc happens this season.

She is a bit much in the first episodes, yes. But I think that evens out a lot as she and her surroundings get more used to each other.
Although she remains a bit of a supercharged Pippi Longstockings.

plot twist it's being controlled by toffee despite being severed.

thats not a real twist considering they implied it pretty heavy in the last episode of season 1