Bad dvd art

why is viacom trying to make spongebob the movie look like a made for tv special?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0hnAtWzSIvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wait, they changed it? Whats wrong with the original?

i think the on in OP might be the Walmart edition.
which is still bizarre.

If everyone is not smiling on the cover, the kids won't like it.

But everyone with a mouth in is smiling there. The cover OP pictured just looks like 0 effort was put into it.

UK one is different too.

It's the current trend where the dvd or bluray cover to every kids movie needs to just be zoomed in stock art of the main character's face against a solid color background.

I think the idea behind it is to make the movie stand out on the store shelves better. I have no idea how effective that's been but it looks stupid when every movie does it.

all of Laika's movies have bargain bin versions with the main character's heads on a color coded background
I have no idea why its a thing, I'm sure it isn't any sort of cost saving

>actual theatrical movie
>make it look like teletubbies

That's a thing with pretty much every non-Disney movie these days

I've seen this a few days ago in Walmart myself, but it's been around for awhile. Ice Age has it, Madagascar has it, I even saw seasons of spongebob with it, and some redistributed art of the volume discs

it's so annoying to see

weird, I've only ever seen this one

This is one of the worst offenders I've seen.

I know that no-one gives a shit about The Simpsons anymore but it really is shockingly poor. What monkey approved this?

The DVD's exactly the same.

Mine was like this but in English.

First DVD I ever got right here. Pretty ballin' cover.

Here's the movie for comparison.

youtube.com/watch?v=0hnAtWzSIvg

This shit.

Those quotes and ratings on the side kill it. It's the fucking Simpsons, did they really need to sell it that hard?

holy FUCK
may be the worst cover of all time

I just noticed Optimus' Autobot decals aren't even lined up with his shoulders. That cover gets worse every time I look at it.

I think a lot of DVDs actually have terrible artwork, especially when compared to the posters for said movies.
That's not just a cartoon thing.

Really doesn't do the movie justice.

Wait.

They took a Don Bluth style animated movie... and gave it a cover that made it look like some stupid ass celebrity tie-in cash CGI cartoon?

They change stuff for re-releases all the time. The difference is that they made it significantly worse this time around.

Yup

It's even worse when you consider that it's made to look like it ripped off both Finding Nemo and Shark Tale.

Hollywood Execs should just burn sometimes.
BURN!

Should have used this one.

Why they'd replace the theatrical poster in the first place is beyond me

DVD covers often get changed to include less detail and be more eye popping, because posters are designed for a larger format.

Why didn't they just get Guido Guidi

Looks like a rip-off of the Tinker Bell cgi movies at first glance. Thanks Walmart.

Hey I have a copy of this. It's pretty funny.

It's 20th century fox's new house style, everyone who distributes with them gets it.
There's a normal box art inside the sleeve.