EXCLUSIVE: Marvel kills off major Avenger in 'Civil War II'

nydailynews.com/entertainment/exclusive-marvel-kills-major-hero-killer-shocker-article-1.2708495

>Hulk smashed!

>Marvel Comics killed off the character's human alter ego, Dr. Bruce Banner, in "Civil War II" #3, out Wednesday — a demise more shocking because it’s courtesy of an arrow to the head from Hawkeye, his Avengers teammate.

>“This is uncharted territory for us,” Marvel Editor in Chief Axel Alonso told the Daily News.

>“Only two things are for certain: it will take a long, long time for our heroes to come to terms with his loss, and the circumstance surrounding his death will leave a huge scar on the superhero community.”

>That’s because the archer skewers his pal on the belief that Banner is about to turn into the Hulk and unleash massive death and destruction. Banner had recently given him the special arrow and asked for a mercy killing in case of disaster.

Wasn't Brevoort just complaining on Twitter earlier about news sites spoiling events and reveals? Isn't he in a position of power to prevent such things from happening, or at least to suggest against giving exclusives to the NY Daily News and other rags?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So they just gave up huh.

>This is uncharted territory for us
No it's not.

OLLIE HOW COULD YOU

>But adding to the angst, the beleaguered scientist, who's played by Mark Ruffalo in the Marvel movies, had been successfully medicating himself to keep his anger management issues in check for a year.

>"Fans may be outraged, and there are probably ‘Hawkeye’ writers who I'm very good friends with who will also be offended," said Brian Michael Bendis, the writer of the "Civil War II" event series. "But the point is that everything that happens in this issue is in character when you discover the hows and whys and wheres.

>"We'll let people argue about it."

>Older fans of the Green Goliath are sure to see red.

>Banner has been Hulking out into one of the publisher's most popular characters since 1962, when creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby dreamed up the Gamma Bomb blast that turned the scientist into a modern Dr. Jekyll.

>Recently, though, there has been a new Hulk — whose alter ego is a Korean-American teen genius named Amadeus Cho.

>He's part of Marvel's push to add much-needed diversity to the four-color panel world of comic books. Thor is now a woman; the black hero Falcon is now fighting crime as the red, white and blue garbed Captain America.

>And just last week, geeks learned Riri Williams, a 15-year-old African-American girl, will inherit Iron Man's armor.

>"For all the people who seem really excited about Riri Williams, who's going to take on the role of Iron Man, there were letters over the course of the week, which all said, 'I am a long-time reader, I'm 50-something years old, why are you destroying all the characters that I love? I can't find a character that looks like me anymore,'" says Tom Brevoort, Marvel's senior VP of publishing on the company’s efforts to appeal to an underrepresented audience.

>Hulk
>major Avenger

>"But the fact is you still don't have to throw a dart to find a white male character in our publishing line."

>Readers may have reason to be skeptical about Banner's fate, because superheroes killed off in the comic books tend to eventually make miraculous recoveries.

>Captain America and Spider-Man both recently died with much fanfare, only to come back within a year. And rival DC Comics made headlines in 1992 by bumping off Superman, who returned to his comics faster than a speeding bullet.

>"Right now I can tell you this is the real deal," says Bendis. "I can't speak for the future, I honestly can't, who knows what will happen? But I already have plans for the body (in upcoming issues.)"

Pic related is an earlier spread in the issue, so it seems.

>Only two things are for certain: it will take a long, long time for our heroes to come to terms with his loss, and the circumstance surrounding his death will leave a huge scar on the superhero community

what is it with Marvel and killing off characters to replace them? why can't there be more than one hero with the same name?

I mean, theres 5 or so different Flashes out there at DC, so why not here?

>underrepresented audience.
But there not an underrepresented audience at all there are a huge amount t of black hero's.

>kills off Caucasian hulk
>asian hulk still lives on
Wow it really makes you think

Meh.

So what dimension is Banner in?

>Captain America and Spider-Man both recently died with much fanfare, only to come back within a year. And rival DC Comics made headlines in 1992 by bumping off Superman, who returned to his comics faster than a speeding bullet.
Wait so are they not going to mention the recent supes stuff here.

That's just shoddy journalism.

>"This is uncharted territory for us"
>Killing off a character
>Uncharted territory

That Superman hasn't come back yet, so it wouldn't be relevant.

The Microverse obviously.

I think marvel says that about everything they do

>bitches about something being spoiled on twitter
>then precedes to spoil something else a day later

did they notice the leaked pic from facebook and just say fuck it, like DC did with DCU Rebirth and those leaks?

>50 years of HULK IS THE WORST, KILLS INNOCENTS, etc etc
>Someone does something about it
>With Banner's blessing
>Everyone loses their minds

>"Fans may be outraged, and there are probably ‘Hawkeye’ writers who I'm very good friends with who will also be offended," said Brian Michael Bendis, the writer of the "Civil War II" event series. "But the point is that everything that happens in this issue is in character when you discover the hows and whys and wheres.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

More like makes you chink amiright

>Have vision of Hulk killing every superhero
>Could use knowledge to keep them away
>Bring every superhero to Hulk
Dear Dread Dormammu, Carol, do you get off to the thought of bringing lambs to the slaughter?

>did they notice the leaked pic from facebook and just say fuck it, like DC did with DCU Rebirth and those leaks?
Probably yes

>“Only two things are for certain: it will take a long, long time for our heroes to come to terms with his loss, and the circumstance surrounding his death will leave a huge scar on the superhero community.”

So, by "a long, long time", he means "about a year or two"; by "our heroes to come to terms with his loss", he means "for him to come back to life"; and by "will leave a huge scar on the superhero community", he means "will be pretty much forgotten about in-universe and out about half a year after he comes back", right?

Why didn't they just make Bruce a better character?

I think fans of Clint are just neutral. Its more like a Here We Go Again Bendis.

>>major Avenger
>>Hulk
He hasn't been an Avenger for since prior to AvX!

>But the point is that everything that happens in this issue is in character when you discover the hows and whys and wheres
Doesent he normaly wait until after the comic is out to defend his blatent disregard for prior characterisation.

Yes, but you could have green texted all that put FTFY and it would have saved you some troubles.

MUCH
NEEDED
DIVERSITY

They tried several times, but Marvel likes to return everything to status quo

he'll live

Headcannon acquired
Far more interesting to think about then the comic itself thats for sure.

>another worthless character down the drain

Thank you based Marvel

>Bendis Kills the Marvel Universe

FUCK THIS COMPANY I AM SO DONE

HULK HAS BEEN FUCKING NOWHERE IN CONTINUITY FOR YEARS, WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE CARE

>HURR IT'LL MAKE SENSE IN THE END GAIZ TRUST ME

OK MR. SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS I TOTALLY TRUST YOU TO WRITE SOMETHING OTHER THAN A BULLSHIT COP OUT ENDING YOU THOUGHT OF ON THE FLY

FUCK THIS IM VOTING FOR TRUMP
ENOUGH IS FUCKING ENOUGH

WHERE'S DAN SLOTT WHERE YOU NEED HIM TO COMPLAIN ABOUT LEAKS?!

>"We'll let people argue about it."

Kek. "I know I'm wrong but I'm Bendis and I don't give a shit.

Kamala is going to be alright though, right?

Are we nearing the end of Bendis? Or is this just the beginning of his true and final form?

>spoiling your own even after all that "please don't leak things it hurts my butt" stuff on twitter today

typical Marvel

>"Right now I can tell you this is the real deal," says Bendis. "I can't speak for the future, I honestly can't, who knows what will happen?"

I can! I know! He'll stay dead for a year, two or three tops, but will somehow be magically alive and the Hulk again just before the next Avengers movie comes out!

"This is the real deal." Jesus, that level of lie ought to be provoking thunderbolts out of the clear blue sky.

Let's all go confront the guy that turns into a giant rage monster when he gets stressed out...

>youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI

>the circumstance surrounding his death will leave a huge scar on the superhero community

I wonder if that scar will remain once Banner inevitably gets brought back to life.

They already gave this away in the covers.

>Ulysses hiding behind Karnak
His timid shenanigans are kinda cute

>>Hulk smashed!
>>Marvel Comics killed off the character's human alter ego, Dr. Bruce Banner

Oh my god, how many months until he's brought back to life?

>“This is uncharted territory for us,”

yes I'm sure NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN for real this time

>I know I'm wrong but I'm Bendis and I don't give a shit.
Maybe if we are lucky normies will pick up on that to

He'll be back in time for Thor: Ragnarok.

She has to go back.

Only Bobbi can shit on him for shitting on her for killing her rapist.

Maybe if Banner had raped Hawkeye....

But that doesn't work, giving Banner fatal damage MAKES him Hulk out.

Don't be ridiculous, he won't be gone THAT long

Does anyone care? Does anyone really care about this even at all?

her hair is short and ugly now

Man me making the switch to DC really has paid off. Fuck Marvel seriously.

YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY

>Wasn't Brevoort just complaining on Twitter earlier about news sites spoiling events and reveals? Isn't he in a position of power to prevent such things from happening, or at least to suggest against giving exclusives to the NY Daily News and other rags?
All jokes aside, Marvel probably noticed the leaked pic and lifted the embargo on reviews, interviews, etc and stuff.

DC did the exact same thing with Rebirth. Leaked pictures showed up on reddit, got removed, but people were already talking about it here, on cbr, etc. Few hours later and dc just said fuck it and allowed reviews, and not long later, interviews with Johns were up.
Then the issue actually came out.

They probably didn't want another Marvel Nower leaks situation on their hands. At least with an interview being up not long after a leak, more attention goes towards the interview and they can easily spin it in their favor or make it seem favorable.

>Does anybody even care about one of Marvel's most iconic characters.

it comes out next year

>>This is uncharted territory for us
And Silk is the first Asian Superhero.

>“This is uncharted territory for us
There are a surprising amount Uncharted reaction images

that's exactly what it is.

It comes out next November

you really think they'll leave Banner dead for 16 whole months?

short hair a best

No.

I am hoping for them death threats though.

So with hulk slaying arrows (+5 for Banners I guess) and Thanos slaying missiles (-5 Strength for She-Hulk), do you think people are going to start popping out character killing weapons that is not only an arrow but also a missile designed to take out uh....I don't fucking know, the Beyonder?

CBR mods just deleted my thread on the article. Kek.

>Wasn't Brevoort just complaining on Twitter earlier about news sites spoiling events and reveals?

The complaints were never about spoiling the story. They were about leaks screwing with their paid exclusives.

Theres like dozens of spider-men, two wolverines, theres two caps, two thors, there were multiple she hulks but who knows what happened to the other one.

So Carol, Ulysses and Hawkeye successfully stop another disaster. Looking pretty bleak for Tony's side.

yes? he will come back at the end of the event 2 events from now

Doom made a bomb, didn't work because it detonated early.

Haven't they tried to kill Banner before and he just gets better?

>implying they can't pop out two more events by January

Which ones besides Peter and Miles? I thought the other spidermen all got their own personas eventually.

Like how there have been a couple of kid flashes but they grew into Main Flash and Impulse and stuff like that.

Okay, so now CBR mods are deleting every mention of it from all threads. Holy fuck.

>brought Kamala and Maria hill to a hulk fight

Wait did they auctualy try to claim that

>Uncharted territory for us

>there are still people that read cuckvel trash

This time he's been de-gammafied, meaning he can't Hulk out to save himself.

Why the fuck they're trying to kill him I don't know.

he has no hulk

Post on leddit for sweet normie tears.

Kamala is a big girl

>hulk is going to kill every superhero
>bring every superhero to stop him
>this won't backfire at all

Another fridged hero. Maybe he'll get to sent to Hel and we'll have a nice crossover with him and Thor sometime next year before the movie hits.

Dc has a weapon specifically designed designed to kill immortals

Only good thing to come out of Pandora's series.

>“This is uncharted territory for us,”

Maybe they have an anti-spoiler policy.

Another casualty of Being A Straight White Guy Disease. It's an epidemic at Marvel.

>the X-Men are there
well, that's one box of the Bingo that won't be filled.

And why the X-Men are there?