/LANG/ language learning thread

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/853403688
youtube.com/watch?v=xx1THDIGyJk
youtube.com/watch?v=L3uZ7a_mfBk&t=577s
youtube.com/watch?v=m8NXjc5tcyc&t=764s
translator.microsoft.com/neural
write-out-loud.com/tongue-exercises-for-articulation.html
vocaroo.com/i/s0xwUpTPtQyc
vocaroo.com/i/s044HOGO5OVc
vocaroo.com/i/s1as9L3QXBOl
vocaroo.com/i/s1Oh2gvDXFNb
youtube.com/watch?v=qMuNjbiPEyU
youtube.com/watch?v=ogQQYg-zlic
youtube.com/watch?v=2uUhMIVHSNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone have any tips or resources for accent reduction? I'm sick of people thinking I'm a tourist here

Hi /lang/! If you are learning Dutch or just want to meet some people, please do visit our 2000th thread! Feel free to grab a cake and say hello!

It differs a lot depending your native language and target language. I usually just repeat the words on Babadum like the autismo i am

>tfw Polish coursebooks has pierogi recipe

accents are cute though

For vocab I'm using this Anki deck from another poster here. Grammar seems simple enough to soak up through usage.
ankiweb.net/shared/info/853403688

Again?

I want to learn some German but I'd like to spend a while getting a good grasp on correct pronunciation first. Any good YouTube channels?
Videos like this basically youtube.com/watch?v=xx1THDIGyJk

Best videos for learning Russian:
youtube.com/watch?v=L3uZ7a_mfBk&t=577s
youtube.com/watch?v=m8NXjc5tcyc&t=764s

ti chiamo piu tardi
can mean
I'm going to call you later
I'll call you later
I call you later
I am calling you later

Also thanks for this bookmark tovarisch

Some sort of new translating paradigm from microsoft
translator.microsoft.com/neural

lol

What happened to the autists making their own language here?

He passed away.

Good to know that people learning japanese/mandarin won't be running out of jerbs soon

Any Toaq speakers still come here? Do you guys know any good resources for learning Toaq?

On my second day of learning Italian, using Duolingo for now but am hoping to get a proper Italian for beginners book and dictionary when I am back in the city in a week.
The plan is to use Duolingo and beginners guide to work up to a workable state where I can do basic conversations, then more advanced resources.

Actually, why would anyone use duolingo to learn language? I just tried ot a bot and then I can't pass any of those test for my native tongue

I like the way it teaches in small digestible chunks supported by discussions and notes.

Not mine

German pronunciation is easy, a lot easier than French imo, but maybe its because I'm an Anglo. every letter is pronounced. You just have to get used to the umlauts and certain vowel combination like "eu"

its a good place to start. maybe memrise is better?

You say that, but I took classes for several years as a kid and they never even taught us about Auslautverhaertung. They taught us the g sound in Sonntag is the same as the g sound in the English word "dog"... I'd like to start reading literature asap and I don't want to learn the words all wrong like many heavy readers tend to.

desu I never heard of that either, but I think the combination of the vowel/consonant makes a lot of those natural.

I dont hear much of a difference between tag and tak for example.

also you should check out German for Reading

hey lads, i'm looking for an article about writing languages using characters similar to chinese. i know it uses fish as an example really early on in the writing but i can't seem to find it anymore. thanks for any help.

>its because I'm an Anglo. every letter is pronounced
Niqqa English is worse in this regard than French, stop this shitty meme

excellent taste in TOOTERS my dudes

How do you guys USE anki?

What I mean is, if I learn a word in Anki, i can understand it if I see/hear it, but it's a lot harder to recall the words and use them in my own sentences. What do you do to make recalling vocab easier?

I'm very worried about my awkwardness at listening to and speaking English.
Do you know some specific tools you use for its improvement?

For me, it's just so I have seen the word before and other apps and books will make use of them. It just makes it easier getting through.

For recall you need to do the cards in reverse order (target language on back of card) to force your brain to recall it instead of just recognizing it.

hmm, yeah thats true. I really should be exposing myself to more apps/books/news in my TL. The vocab needs context.

The anki decks I use have the inverse cards, but I feel like they occur with much less frequency

see

Interested in biblical hebrew and greek.

Modern or ancient greek?

Koiné Greek in the bible, I don't know how close it is to classical or modern desu.

Want to post your speech sample here?
Really just watch and listen to lots of audio samples, that is, movies tv shows radios etc and then, try to replicate/follow along with it properly. I believe it's generally called shadowing. Also there's this:
write-out-loud.com/tongue-exercises-for-articulation.html
Move your tongue around lots of times, vibrate the muscles a bit. I used to play with my tongue kinda like that while young, subsequently now I find it natural to do rolling Rs like in Italian or Spanish.

Also people don't really mind accents, what's important is that you speak clearly and concisely, don't stutter much. You'll appear more confident that way (even if you're not inside).

I'm not sure if there are any actual specific tools yet; maybe a good text-to-speech program? Are you using an android phone? There's a setting in Google TTS such that you can instruct it to be more expressive, though it needs to connect to the internet to do so, otherwise it'll use the flat, robot voice.

here you are.
It's a edited version of my assignment video for university.
the proper noun "FLOW" is a name of the class for which I made this speech.
vocaroo.com/i/s0xwUpTPtQyc

delet

com'on mate

vocaroo.com/i/s044HOGO5OVc
I made a speech of the text the site which told me shows.

>Mrs Tongue lives in her house, the mouth.
>Every morning she mops it from ceiling to floor.
>First she sweeps her mop from right to left.

De bump

Back to my daily /lang/ grind, after a much needed winter break from it.

I take it "FLOW" is the name of the class you're attending?
Anyways your reading and writing is good already, the challenge here is that you appear to be forcing the words out - it's like you're shouting, but not. From your voice I assume you're moving your jaw a lot, like you're chewing really hard.
I suggest not opening your mouth too much, maybe stick your tongue out of the mouth to get a measurement, and then make sure when you're speaking, try not to open your mouth more than what the tongue makes it open when you stick it out.

For example, here you say tongue as "taAANG", try to speak a softer "tang" instead. Other than saying she "see", I don't see any major errors.

If you want to post more audios feel free, I can comment on them. Can't really reply fast though ww

>your comprehension of "FLOW" is right, this is the class in which our English command in academic terms is evoked.

OK it seems I put too much emphasis...
and I mistook the sound of "she" /ʃi;/?
OK I tried to repost, how about this?
vocaroo.com/i/s1as9L3QXBOl

this is another trial of distinguishing "sh" from "s"
vocaroo.com/i/s1Oh2gvDXFNb

I can't find anything but university outlines for heritage speakers learning heritage language.

gonna try and intuit to mastery because its gonna be impossible to go through like a year of this is hello this is a ball bullshit.

maybe young adult novels and just read and pronounce out loud while looking up grammar bits that I don't recognize and vocab I don't know.

hopefully this works

this woman at pizza place spoke italian and I was stunned all I could do was listen while she spoke.

none of the recordings sounds good. Is it just the difference from hearing languages in a recoding and in person?

it was so beautiful but none of the recordings of italian or any language give me even a twinge

I want to learn at least two new languages. Which of these do you guys think I should/would like to know?
>German
>Russian
>Japanese
>Greek
>Latin

What language are you learning dude?

The language you'd immediately use. I got from 0 to reading novels in a year with jp because i watched anime all the time already. Started learning words, reading about grammar and turned subtitles off.

depends on the recordings. The first german textbook I used had super stiff and boring recordings. The textbook im using now has much more natural sounding recordings. But generally, yeah recordings and real people speaking are quite different.

Both greek and latin are useful cause of sufixes and prefixes used on portuguese. And japanese is useful only for animetards like me. The other just sound kinda cool to me.

>Japanese
>German
The only useful you listed

>Japanese
>Useful
>Russian
>Not useful
Off yourself.

Not me, but I kinda agree on the Russian part.

German and Russian are probably the most useful, but you should pick which one you want to learn the most because Language learning is enough of a battle for discipline with a language you like, let alone with one you don't like

>Japanese
>more useful than Russian

Fuck off, weeaboo.

spanish

yeah but then shouldn't you just be learning prefixes and suffixes?

80/20 and all that

alright here is the official list

being human(expressing affection, being angry, speaking with god, art, humanities, speaking with family, companionship) and politics
>romance language of choice

science
>german

being goofy acting silly and making jokes
>english

Ha, this one is much better. I hear you're putting less stress on speaking the syllables, and the difference between 'she' and 'see' is slightly more audible now. To improve, I recommend a little more stress on 'sh' part, to differ from 'see'. As to 'see', try speaking it just a little bit longer, so it sounds like 'see' and not 'si'.
To practice, maybe say shhhe, and seeee a few times.

As for this part I suppose you're saying this:
"She see the guy, all set. Someone took my seat" ?
If so, then same thing applies as my first part - make 'see' just a bit longer. I hear some syllables still being stressed where they don't need to, but both of these samples are much better than the first one you posted When learning a new language, see if it fits these two:
>there's a couple of career opportunities, or ways to make money out of it in my life
>I'm surrounded by this language a lot, therefore I'd like to learn it
If it's not these two, then why bother? "I'm passionate/I like it" is like a punctured tire, going flat soon. So if it were me, among those languages I'd choose German and Japanese, lots of tourist jobs in being able to speak those.

Indeed, finding decent Spanish resources is hard. Everyone who isn't a heritage speaker just tell me to hang around Spanish people and i'll pick it up pretty fast but that setting isn't for me. The only other person i know who learned Spanish who doesn't live around Spanish speakers started with duolingo but that app bores me to death with how slow it is.

I'll focus on learning Spanish eventually but for now i've got my sights on Chinese. I'm just getting started but my routine so far is to have an anki deck for vocab and sentences. I slowly learn sentences and then break down those sentences and learn the words inside them with the help of the vocab deck. After i've gotten a feel for it, that's when i'll start focusing on grammar.

Recall comes naturally the deeper your exposure to the language. Don't worry about it and just focus on learning words until you're able to read. Once you're at able to read novels level, learning to recall will be much much easier. One thing at a time user

Guys, when you learnt your first second language, what language was it and how long did it take for you to become good enough to hold conversations with others in that language?

For Asians, Japanese (and Mandarin, I guess) is useful since they are cucked by them. I remember reading somewhere that Japanese is something akin to the lingua Franca of (east) Asia; dunno how much truth there is to that, though. But for the rest, you are right only weeaboos would think Japanese is more relevant than Russia.

There is no East Asian lingua franca, everyone hates each other there
And if there were one it would be Chinese, seeing as all East Asian languages derive from it somehow

Japanese
took 2 years of ~4 hours a week of studying + 4ish months of living in Japan to be able to keep converstaion, and another 3 months to do it comfortably

>lives in Switzerland
>second language was Japanese
I don't believe this unless you have Japanese ancestry.

>What are air planes
You can't trust the flags here

bump

(o sewi e ni, ilo o!)

wump

>tfw have seen 10% of cards in the duolingo anki deck (9600 cards)
>and 9% of cards in a 4000 most common words deck (8000 cards)
thats like almost 900 words in total, which doesn't sound like a lot but it sure feels like it.

Thanks!

>Japanese
>useful
This was bait, right?

If so, why are you responding to it 5 hours later? Are you stupid?

>Interested in biblical hebrew and greek.
I could see the handwriting on the wall (Book of Daniel). My language being forgotten again.

Speaking of which, I'll just paste this from another thread.

>the greek language
>one of the most miserable languages in the world because while about most languages attention is paid to the current one as for this language people never focus on the current but the ancient one.

This is the case with my language, significantly more so than Greek. Not only are there people who read a little bit of history and think Aramaic is a dead language, but even people who know it's not a dead language underestimate it. Even the news journalists mistakenly call one village "the last Aramaic speakers" when 1-4 million people who practically have nothing to do with that village speak it around the world.

In 1800, there were a couple areas where the vast majority of people were monolingual Aramaic speakers.

Bump.

youtube.com/watch?v=qMuNjbiPEyU
youtube.com/watch?v=ogQQYg-zlic

Classical
youtube.com/watch?v=2uUhMIVHSNQ

>doing an hour of pushkin institute every day
How long until I can post on двaч?

When was the last time you practiced your language out "in the wild", /lang?

When was the last time you practiced your language out in the real world, /lang/?

I wish I had opportunities to practice with natives like this guy
I live in a boring neighbourhood with absolutely no foreigners, but I'd probably be too autistic to try to start a conversation with someone else in the first so it doesn't really matter

I thought you guys had a lot of expats in your big cities.

What combination of apps, textbooks, and other resources do you use to learn your target language?

I use a textbook, duolingo (though I am almost done with it), and a website called lingq

Duolingo was great until recently. I've gotten to a point where it doesn't seem to useful for vocab acquisition or grammar instruction. Anyone else experience the same?