I miss this Marvel. Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Street Level were the big players. Colourful costumes...

I miss this Marvel. Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Street Level were the big players. Colourful costumes, campy names, and sometimes campy dialogue, but taken seriously in-universe. All-out comic nonsense but taken seriously, and serious storylines. Also, classic Marvel thread.

Someone do some voodoo magic and curse Jack Kirby to draw forever

>there will be no more F4 books in our lifetime because Marvel are Jews and wont make a book they cant then profit movies of off

Something always gets me about this art, and I think it's that the tone of Marvel, for the most part, should be like an 80s action movie.

What the hell is Batgirl doing here?

me on the left

That's Hellcat you nigger

I blame the cancer trinity Kamala, miles and nova

>mentions X-Men
>none of them are on picture

Shooter era Marvel was the best cape company in history.

Sana Amanat / Brian Michael Bendis / Disney era Marvel is the worst comic company in history.

But Kamala is CUTE, CUTE and Nova is ADORINGLY DUMB. Miles is nigger so fuck him.

beast is right fucking there

As an Avenger, not X-Man.

Early Claremont Uncanny X-Men and New Mutants is my shit nigga.

not him but scarlet witch too, i know they're not x-men as of this moment but I think we can guess OP mentioned them because beast is more recognizable as x-men.

>implying sand niggers are any better than normal niggers
Fuck off.

>that vision costume

Get that garbage out of here

>being a characterfag
>not reading non marvel stuff
You only have yourself to blame

I'd still rather have shit like this than the modern stuff.

What is it about Kirby's art that make me want to live in his world forever

>taken seriously in-universe
Yeah I hate all the self aware writing going on. It comes across as people who are embarrassed or ashamed to be working on the material which is like going back to the Golden Age where it was common for cartoonists to lie about what their job was

I felt like Rick Remender was really good at branching out into the crazier parts of Marvel without ever turning to the reader and winking

Yeah, the only adaptation that's been able to capture that type of thing is Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I love this page.

Whatever is going on at Marvel currently doesn't even remotely resemble the classic Marvel that got them popular in the first place. It's really sad.

Nothing nowadays resembles what it used to be.

Snowbird in a blizzard is the greatest gag for a comic ever

Vision is the only thing they've made in the past like 30 years I'd consider a great book - and that's because of Tom King, not Marvel.

Oh man the position of the moon/sun behind Cap is just beautiful.

Ewing's stuff is good.

> past like 30 years
For me X-Force/X-Statix was Marvel's last great comic

His mighty Avengers was pretty weak (for Ewing) but it made Nextwave canon and that buys it a lot of points from me

>This thread

> old

I didn't start reading comics until college when Siege was new. It's easy to see that writing and art have declined at Marvel

Man, Wolverine used to be so fucking awesome.

Yeah

>Doesnt fucking know about Hellcat

You call that Krackle?

Damn, kids...

>Brubaker's captain america
>Morrison's and Whedon's X-men
>Jms spider-man
> Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil
>Hickman's Fantastic Four
I know you're just shitposting, but that's just delusional.

ITT: I wish comics were the way they were before I started reading comics.

dont forget runaways. That officially got me into comics.

Why are you acting like that's surprising?

I wouldn't say there were a lot of great comics at this time but it certainly was a golden era for continuity nerds. Mark Gruenwald was powerful at the company and made sure every book was filled with continuity references, call-backs, and explanations of how a character could be in two comics at the same time.

Operation Galactic Storm, which Gruenwald masterminded, has to be one of the tightest and most continuity-conscious big crossovers.

Art wise the quality is the same unless you want to cherrypick certain titles. Most of the same artists of that era still work for the company.

Wasn't this from Maximum Carnage?

Only J.M. Dematteis could polish that turd into something vaguely worth reading.

Marvel has had a Catholic guilt about publishing superhero comics since the 00s. It's why I can't stand most of what they made up to today. If Marvel was like they were from the 60s, 70s, and 80s I'd be in hog heaven.

kek

You're in the minority then. The success of the Ultimates over the late 90s Avengers proved what the kids really want.

leave this place, immediately

Late '90s Avengers was a consistent top 10 seller. It dropped out of the top 10 after a) George PĂ©rez left and they couldn't find a new regular artist; b) the new management stopped promoting it because it was too old-fashioned.

I'm not saying Ultimates wasn't popular, just that Avengers was no kind of a dying book pre-Ultimates or even pre-Bendis.

exactly

Looking at this image, Marvel is just fine without the X-Men. It doesn't even feel like they're missing. Honestly the FF is some of the Marvelest shit they have. They need the right back.

Doomfag pls.

The MCU killed the comics universe.

I blame postmodernism.

Everything has to be fucking ironic, cutesy, self-referential "We're a really silly, outdated medium but we know it so it's okay". I hate that. It's defeatist.

Slice-of-life stuff is great, to REMIND us occasionally that these larger-than-life people are human after all. It shouldn't dominate everything to the extent the superheroing is pushed to the background.

But even as I write this, I realize some comics did and do this very well (Spider-Man, Miss Marvel) and some subvert it brilliantly (Vision).

Could it be we're just short on good writers?

...No, I can't agree. The two are very well separated. Marvel has learned the comics don't benefit from emulating the movies.

That is blatantly not Jack Kirby

Different markets in different times.

Late nineties comic industry was limping all together.

If anything it's imitation John Buscema. (Buscema left Avengers after issue 300 but for years after that everyone on the title imitated him and worked with his regular inker.)

Byrne gets a lot of shit for this, but it's really a great character moment for Doom.

The name is right in the fuckin image guys.

The Speaker of the House!

>Paul Ryan

Never knew he had a comic book career before politics and modeling.