Which western is the greatest and why is it The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

Which western is the greatest and why is it The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OAICQXNeOhw
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1497860539221.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=9wM8RREueMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TgGqdAAyJSQ
spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Essential_Top_20_Films
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Once Upon a Time in the West is better.

BLOOOOOONNNNDDDDIIIIIEEEEE!!!!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Because of Tuco and The Captain

Hateful Eight

It depends on who you're talking to. Our generation should think that Spaghetti Westerns are the best, because they are. But my dad is John Wayne all the way.

I always preferred The Magnificent Seven

pretentious answer

Fpbp.

no

There are only like 3-4 good spaghetti westerns. Aside from that there are a bunch of great soundtracks with mediocre to bad movies attached to them.

this is the best spaghetti* western
the greatest western is tombstone

Ditto. I'm 30 and I grew up watching The Duke because that's what my dad liked. Also watched a lot of High Chapparal, Rawhide, The Rifleman, and Gunsmoke.

Taco is such a great character his and the man with no names relationship is so fucked up.

you cant "fpbp" your own reply you summerfag

This.

>Taco

>the greatest western is tombstone
This

We're talking about best westerns, not Most Annoying Titles.

Hello newfriend ;)

Django unchained

NOOOOOOOOO

hang on senpai

>taco
baka senpai

Damn Autocorrect!

Everyone with actual taste knows that unforgiven is the best Western movie of all time.

Sup Forums Official Good Western List:
Shane
High Noon
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Once Upon a Time in the West
McCabe & Mrs Miller
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Hang Em High
Blazing Saddles
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Lonesome Dove
Deadwood

Overrated:
A Fistful of Dollars
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch
3:10 to Yuma (modern)
True Grit (both)

youtube.com/watch?v=OAICQXNeOhw

>no el dorado
>no sons of katie elder
>the cowboys not listed

>Outlaw Josey Wales overrated

KYS

>No High Plains Drifter
C'mon, man, try harder

>Overrated:
>A Fistful of Dollars

>True Grit
you better take a step back before i hafta hurt ya boy

Too many scenes with Ugly, not enough with Bad

>no u
wew

This is a pretty good list.

A Challenger Appears

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1497860539221.webm

>Tombstone
Mah huckleberry.

Which did you prefer? The first or the second?

You need the first to understand the characters, but the second was a great follow up for what it was. Good fun and it performed the end fight a bit better than the first one.

Shane, because it's near flawless in writing, acting, cinematography, costumes, sets, and most important: pacing. Other highly praised westerns are too slow.

But that's not

SABATA
AA
B_ B
A__ A
T___ T
A____ A

>ctrl-f
>young guns
>0

Well, you're really asking two questions there. The first one is, why is it the greatest? To which the answer is - it isn't. The second one is, why do *you* think it is the greatest, to which I think the answer is - you have seen ten or fewer Westerns. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Shane is fast-paced to you? That's an interesting opinion. What are some Westerns other than Leone's that are slower than it?

Needs Pale Rider

>ctrl-f
>Big Money Rustlas
>0

Once Upon a Time in the West is the worst I've seen, but The Searchers wasn't far off. Both nearly put me to sleep.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is the best Western ever made faggot

Once Upon a Time in the West is a Leone. I can understand Shane being thought faster than The Searchers, though The Searchers is such a quest story that the speed seems appropriate to me - they're meant to have been out there for years.

it's a ripoff of a weeb film

The Wild Bunch is my second. Check out a film call Face To Face. Stars the guy who played Indio. Cool spaghetti western.

Unmitigated garbage. Peckinpah's sheltered rich-kid ideas about masculinity and grit are embarrassing to compare to Leone's awareness.

Oh, and he was more effeminate than John Waters.

>Overrated:
>A Fistful of Dollars
>Outlaw Josey Wales
>The Wild Bunch
>3:10 to Yuma (modern)
>True Grit (both)

Right on everything but the Eastwood, mainly because I don't think people rate The Outlaw Josey Wales that highly anyway. Also, Hang Em High is sleazy garbage that has no business on a list with Hawks, Ford and Leone pictures.

>No one remembers The Quick and The Dead
Movie is just pure fun. youtube.com/watch?v=9wM8RREueMQ

My Darling Clementine and True Grit (2010) are my favorites.

Im not reading the replies yet, but

>For A Few Dollars More
>Unforgiven
>Good Bad Ugly
>Open Range

How come

Unforgiven is a slack jawed version of the Searchers though.

I need to rewatch Dead Man.

>No one remembers The Quick and The Dead

Good.

>Tombstone
shit flick, horrible pacing and editing
Doesn't even compare to Leone's classics or Unforgiven

>____ is a ____ version of ___

Nice critical thinking

Because they are so obviously just that, sheltered ideas. He was from a wealthy landed family and tried very hard to play the Hemingway role. Look at how insistent Peckinpah is upon the meanness of his characters, compared with Leone's acceptance of it in stride. Leone doesn't think he's informing people of the existence of cruelty or that horses defecate, whereas Peckinpah seems like he only found out at 21 and wants to share the discovery with the world.

Oh, yes it does. Kilmer does amazing performance in Tombstone, bittersweet tragedy at best.

>Look at how insistent Peckinpah is upon the meanness of his characters, compared with Leone's acceptance of it in stride.

Could you name an example? From the Wild Bunch probably? there are some masculine characters that are mean and some are not. Is this not fair?

For me, I never bought into Leone's characters, though I think they're more archetypes than characters, but still. Leone is not for me anyways. I only like 1 scene that Leone has ever done: youtube.com/watch?v=TgGqdAAyJSQ

The movie that convinced me to buy a Winchester 1897

which was a ripoff of an American novel

Could you give some examples of what you're talking about?

I urge everyone in this thread to check out The Homesman. Not really the macho kind of westerns gettin named in here, just a good film.

it's just a worse version of Shane

It's not the existence of mean people in his films, it's that meanness impresses him, whereas it doesn't impress Leone.

The Homesman is brilliant. Tommy Lee Jones is the best Texas director. Also the other westerner he made, Three Burials is great too.

but The Homesman has some clear Blood Meridian bits in it if you are aware of the novel.

Could you name examples? I don't really see this in Dogs or Bunch..

My personal favourite is Django 1966

Paint Your Wagon

I don't think so, but it's very close.

Shit yea. Was pleasantly surprised by the Homesman.

No, there are far more than 3-4 (just the Leone ones are 5). Of course most of them are bad, just like most classic era Westerns are unwatchable garbage as well.

fuuuuck the bit of Swank searching the prairie and then killing herself

just heart wrenching gut kicking shit

>That overrated list
Fuck off.

That moment where Tuco says all that bullshit about his brother and Blondie doesn't say anything, and that guitar in the background.
That's how manly feels are delivered.

EHI, AMICO!

Just look at this list:
spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Essential_Top_20_Films

Notice the gigantic dropoff in quality after 3. 4 wouldn't even make the top 10 if it weren't for the surprise ending. I've seen all but one of the rest of the top 10 and besides a Kurosawa remake the rest are just somewhat enjoyable schlock.

Also like I said the composers totally outclassed everything else for all but those few films at the top.

>I never bought into Leone's characters
>Not liking Tuco

Wtf is wrong with you.

/thread

I have a son at home and a daughter in heaven.

>I don't really see this in Dogs
If you don't see that its entire thesis illustrates that attitude, there's no point my naming examples, is there? Enjoy your garbage.

Thanks for the spoiler, don't need to watch that now.

Western with a nigger protagonist? This is not why I watch westerns, must be current year movie.

A Bullet for the General, Face to Face and Django Kill are all great films.

>Spaghetti Western
>GOAT

They're a fun watch, but none of them should be considered the greatest.

>a Kurosawa remake
>Which was an uncredited adaptation of a Dashiell Hammett novel in the first place

Nice nitpick, buddy. It's still a great movie, just as most of the other ones in that list.
A few of them are there for a cult classic value (Django, Keoma, Vamos a Matar, Compañeros, Django Kill), but all the rest are actually good films, and so are a few that were left outside the top 20.

I prefer The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Hey OP,
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE??????

Tombstone was a good action movie. Nothing more. It pales in comparison to The Unforgiven.

If you think a narrative spoiler can take away the meaning of the scenes or narrative for you then you have zero critical thinking skills and are just looking for instant gratification of le twist in which case you are anti-intellectual which is sad.

well it loses points because (1) it's not as good as Yojimbo and (2) because it's not that good period and far inferior to any other Leone westerns