Dr Strangelove

I finally got around to watching this last night, it definitely was interesting but I didn't actually realize it was a comedy until I googled it afterwards, there were no noticeable jokes and I just assumed the overacting was a 60's thing.

Am I missing something here? Comedies are supposed to be funny right?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1988/05/04/us/white-house-confirms-reagans-follow-astrology-up-to-a-point.html
youtube.com/watch?v=c8L8NopVwdg
reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-eu-infringements-idUSKBN1931O4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's not much of a comedy, it just has more jokes than the average Kubrick film. In the 60s the scene where they had to tell the Russians they sent out nukes was high quality political humor.

You're a fucking dumb dumb.

I'm replying assuming you're being genuine, though I realize you're almost certainly not being genuine.

You're a fucking dumb dumb boi.

"I'm fine, you're fine, I'm glad we're both doing fine."

Hilarious.

In the old days watching politicians and government officials act like immature idiots was funny and not depressingly real

fuckin' dumb dumb

That pains a little.

really nigger

Are you stupid? This is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen.

Probably b8, but I know people who would probably have this reaction.

ow, well at least Trump learned to love the bomb I guess..

Damn...

I didn't find it particularly funny. Dated comedy is always a bit rough, partly because we've seen similar jokes in movies that were influenced by old movies, particularly a well-known one like this.

but why is it funny? it's not from actually having jokes in it so what did I miss?

Savage

This is the ultimate irony with Dr. Stangelove

it was a comedy back then

now it's reality

after seeing this movie ronald reagan installed a war room in the white house

They believed in astrology too. We're lucky we survived the 80s. One bad horoscope and blamo.
nytimes.com/1988/05/04/us/white-house-confirms-reagans-follow-astrology-up-to-a-point.html

thats... kinda chilling

We didn't you survive the 80's you idiot, that was the beginning of the end. Reagan, a little man from TV land, was a globalist puppet who basically handed the US over to his handlers for some trinkets and baubles for Nancy and that explains all the rotten political history that soon followed in his wake.

How hilarious is it that reddi/pol complains constantly about celebrities and elects a fat, twitter loving celebrity.

You sound like a schizo muttering angrily as you push a shopping cart.

What the hell did you think of this scene youtube.com/watch?v=c8L8NopVwdg

How do people not find this funny? It's like the third thread I see about this.

Young dumb people don't get satire

How hilarious is it that idiotic lefties ideals are so toxic to society that people would rather a twitter loving celebrity over their girl?

You might actually be retarded. The dialogue is 90% comedic.

You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company

I share a birthday with Slim Pickens

it makes me feel cooler than I actually am

>"you cant fight in here, this is the war room"

that one went past you i guess

how can you watch a guy ride an atom bomb as it is being dropped and not realize it's supposed to be a comedy?

This. I thought it was a brilliant political thriller with an appropriate amount of dark humor.

>shoot, a fella could have a pretty good time in vegas with this stuff

kek

Daily reminder that they only gave Slim Pickens the pages of the script that had his lines, and told him the movie was 100% serious.

Yup, this was the one big laugh I got out of this movie. Oh, and "I can walk."

Autism: The Post

That's because it's a bad movie

childhood is when you idolize Dr Strangelove
adulthood is when you idolize Fail Safe is much better and that Kubrick is a hack

read about how kubrick sued fail safe because he knew the movie was coming out sooner so he sued them for petty shit to postpone production of the film. He won, and now you hear about dr strangelove and not fail-safe.

did OP even watch the movie?

>kubrick demanded the table in the war room be green
>in a black and white movie

dude was a brilliant, controlling madman, i will believe almost any story about his movies

op is actually a genius, he knew he couldnt get a serious discussion going by just asking for it, he had to bait everyone in with a ridiculous claim.

It's a fucking brilliant movie satirizing the idea of a bunch of loonies sitting around a desk and control the world.

I'm sorry that it wasn't an Adam Sandler movie filled with poop and fart jokes considering that's obviously your kind of humor but sometimes confident and smart directors such as Kubrick like to make actual good movies for people with an IQ above 50.

I always thought it was some serious commentary on the cold war and the possible nuclear war since it was Kubrick but then I watched it and it was basically like those cornetto trilogy movies that redditors love.

Lol thay probably only watch will Ferrell and Adam Sandler movie

Kubrick created the Fallout series?

bait

yeah but not funny comedic

that was... sorta funny in like a dad joke kinda way..?

pretty sure that doesn't even classify as a joke

you mean Dallas? :D :D :D

Billy Maddison/Happy Gilmore are literally 10 times funnier than Dr Strangelove.

and hell, Look Who's Back was cleverer.

No
Its not bait this board has become cancer because underage faggots and retards can't into satire

its not that they don't get satire, it's that reality has become a parody of itself.

... in black and white green looks whiter than white.

lol you're the biggest fucking pleb. It's top tier humor.

What we have in this film is failure to communicate, something that could not happen today with our modern communication technology.

Unless the modern communication technology failed ...

Kubrick also told George C. Scott the movie was 100% serious, but convinced him to do "joke takes" to "warm up" for the "real scene", then used only the scenes where Scott was acting like a goof. Scott had no idea until he saw the movie, he was furious.

It's not a comedy in that sense. The comedy is in how the characters respond to the situation at hand. The world is about to end and the president is a wimp, the Russian Premier is drunk, the general is a goof, their science guy is a Nazi, etc. It's a satire of the cold war mindset. Kubrick was going for "important people trying to be serious and failing".

you're either a dumb cunt or an autist

>I didn't actually realize it was a comedy until I googled it afterwards

gr8 b8 m8

The "comedy" is mostly dad joke/reddit shit
The kind of jokes people laugh at because "intelligent people find it funny", not because they actually find it funny themselves

YOU CAN'T FIGHT IN HERE THIS IS THE WAR ROOM
Wow hilarious, it's the War Room and he's telling them to not fight in it, epic.

HAHA STRANGELOVE IS A NAZI HE'S HEILING HITLER
COCA COLA COMPANY XD
LOL JACK SAID BODILY FLUIDS KEK

It's certainly an existential comedy. The world ends at the end as a goof. One deranged idiot destroyed everything because he blamed his impotence on a soviet conspiracy to put flouride in his water.

How young are you? Everyone dies and nothing matters and we're likely going to all be killed by our idiots freaking out about trivial shit and destroying everything. That's life. You either find it funny or die frustrated.

there are multiple straight up set-up/punch-line jokes throughout the movie. Every actor is a caricature. The President's name is Merkin Muffly for fuck's sake. There's an ex-nazi with a hand possessed by the Fuhrer. They get into a pissfight about mineshafts the second they realize all life on earth was doomed.

How many spectrums are you on dawg?

I don't think it's laugh out loud funny but it's humorous pretty much the entire movie. Everyone is just silly.

There's a lot of cool stuff about this movie. Like that this line was originally Dallas instead of Vegas but they changed it after Kennedy was assassinated. Or that the people working on the sets managed to guess how the inside of a B-52 by one photo. Or the cut pie fight ending where someone nails the president with a pie and says "the young president was struck down in his prime".

The scene of him falling down was also completely unintentional but was kept in and cut just before everyone started laughing at him.

its funnier the second viewing.

Oliver Stone watched this with Putin
What an experience

the reson politicians are shit tier now is because they're all career politicians. Up until around the 70s you'd go into politics if you were a 'worldly wise figurehead' with experience in an important role 'Military officer / Surgeon or Doctor / manager of government dept'

Since then, more have just done a communications or politics degree and got a job as researcher in a pol party and licked arse to get to the top.

Also - strangelove is the peak of subtle satire.

eh its mostly just the corporate agency capture that created the billions dollar election industrial complex

>this incompetent cunt will destroy the health care of millions, destroy the environment, freeze anti-global warming measures, nominate the new SCOTUS, and make this country the laughingstock of the world
>but it will trigger le SJW boogeyman and that's more important, better vote for him!

facilitated by an influx of 'fresh minds' who just want power.

I'm not saying it never happened prior but there used to be at least a fraction of duty accompanied by politics.

Says a lot about how unappealing the modern left has made itself, doesn't it?

>not liking absurdist humor

there was an incredibly low turnout on BOTH sides. Both candidates were terrible, and Shitllary actually had more votes.

I heard they tricked him into doing the opening speech in Patton too.

exactly, it was her turn! was this your first election kid?

Just watched this the othe day myself. There was some subtle humour in there but I wouldn't call it a comedy though. Liked it.

>unappealing
>winning by 3 million in the presidential and 1 million across the legislative elections but losing power because the system is antiquated and corrupt in favor of the corporatists
best thing that ever happened to the American left was Russia electing Trump. Brought forward the next crash by decades. If America isn't fucked, the Republican brand will likely be toxic for the next few decades. The President is an illiterate rapist narcissist with an obsession with women and blood but yeah it's the left that is making itself unappealing.

fuuuuuuck off to Sup Forums with this gay shit

Is this bait? It's like reddit personified

What no mention of "You can't fight here, this the War Room!"

One of the pilot acent was driving me insane, i have to turn it off before my ears started to bleed

Stupid ass.

>start a strangelove thread in 2017
>freak out when it gets political
you think it's just an accident that suddenly everyone is interested in Strangelove again?

do you have no reading comprehension or were you just aching to post that? I didn't say she should have won, I said her losing has nothing to do with "the modern left" being unappealing, or any other of your retarded conclusions.

If you got more that one "heh" out of that line you're autistic

>usfl
that's actually hilarious

says a lot about Russian targeted messaging strategy tbphwyf

even the names of the characters were comedic. Look up their meanings. It's not that the jokes are really subtle, it's probably that the archaic language and maybe even the accent makes you miss them. Try watching it with subtitles if you haven't

No, the big two scoop is the entire left is actually russian sleeper cells

fucking drumpf

Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed!

>No, the big two scoop is the entire left is actually russian sleeper cells

The modern left is unappealing. Nobody wants to be flooded with "refugees", ie military age muslim men wanting to turn whatever country they land in into the next caliphate except people brainwashed beyond return.

Premier Kissoff and General Jack D Ripper

Who else?

the modern left has a huge brown horde of dependent niggers and spics that all voted for her. lemme guess. he would have won?

Bat Guano

Russian jews working with Putin (and drumpf) bought out the entire american MSM and inserted subliminal messages into left-oriented TV shows and news stations to target lefty households and turn them all into fucking retards

>The modern left is unappealing.
according to some sjw-right teenager
>Nobody wants to be flooded with "refugees"
Nobody is being flooded with "refugees." That's literally Russian messaging strategy. They make anti-immigration, pro-nationalism, pro-Russian news magazines in every language to disseminate fake news and strawman news to agitate the dipshits like you.
>ie military age muslim men wanting to turn whatever country they land in into the next caliphate except people brainwashed beyond return.
You need to stop consuming whatever media it is that you're consuming. You also need to stop being a fucking mewling faggot coward afraid of imaginary boogiemen.

I'm not being funny with you m8. The things you think and fear are literally the result of Russian active measures.

k.

You're in a functional cult.

Okay Mr. McCarthy.

No, I'm not a lefty.

So you must really hate "Airplane!"

t. achmed/goldberg

>Nobody is being flooded with "refugees."
reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-eu-infringements-idUSKBN1931O4

>We must remain racially and ideologically pure
>Why do our neighbors feel threatened by this?

>being racially pure is the only reason to not want thousands of people unable to adapt to western customs invading your country