Preacher

Holy shit I just finished the whole run of preacher and want to discuss it.

For example what moments do you hope make it into the show? Best/ worst moments and story arcs etc. For me I really hope Jesse's grandma makes it into the show because it's such an important part of his personality and story.

The comics are OK, the show is pure shit.

The show is great. Sorry you can't enjoy good television

He did say he got his tattoo from a "mean old woman".

But holy shit, why the hell has the show made Jesse the villain? Quincannon murdered his business rivals in cold blood and I sympathize with him more than Jesse. And what's with Odin resisting The Word? They could have at least done something clever like having him worm out of the 'be a Christian' clause by having him say he converted to Islam or something to serve God.

I'm too busy waiting for the fourth season of Black Sails, you know, an actual good show.

I'm sorry.

Yeh I loved that nod. I have to agree though right now Jesse is such a dick in the show.

Oh, you mean pirate tits?

More than just a dick, a delusional zealot.

They're changing the core aspects of a lot of the characters. Sheriff Root actually seems like a pretty good guy. Though I'm holding out on the story that Arseface tried to murder a girl who spurned him was bullshit. Like maybe they both tried to kill themselves like him and his friend in the comic and both failed.

I'm surprised you have enough patience to wait that long. How come you don't like slow burns?

I think it works well as a set up to who he is and why he acts the way he does in the comics- many aspects of Jesse and why he does what he does just seemed to more or less just appear fully formed in the comics (sometimes with some ex post facto explanation). This may be due to Ennis himself admitting he had no idea what direction he was going with the comic initially.

Example: Watching him abuse the hell out of the voice makes a far more compelling case in restraint than him feeling bad for "Sheriff Root go fuck yourself" dozens of issues later down the line. This way also gives us a prime demonstration of the voice's limitations that I've enjoyed

Show is better so far

Watching the show made me realize that the producers don't understand what the show what the comics are about at all. Preacher isn't really about religion. It's about masculinity and explores issues like honor, friendship, brotherhood, and doing the right thing. The show strips almost all of these things except for Jesse's friendship with Cassidy and turns Jesse into an asshole when he should be a cowboy who was raised by a Marine and John Wayne.

Is there a single character in Sup Forums history who got the JUST treatment worse than Herr starr?

Its weird how a character like Root who is a southern racist cop stereotype is actually rather compelling in the show I my opinion.

Can't think of much I didn't love about the books. Starr, Cassidy, Jesse, Tulip, the scion kid, the Cassidy side story that took the piss from Anne Rice, the Saint of Killers, the Grandmother, Arseface, Bob the Buggerer, and so on. Great emotional ride that had me laughing out loud enough that I had to stop reading it at work.

About the only things I can think of that stand with it are Hitman and maybe the Marvel Knights Punisher run (Welcome Back Frank through Confederacy of Dunces).

My favorite scene from the last episode is when child Tulip used the line "Until the end of the world" in a scene where there is absolutely no buildup or context. Absolutely brilliant adaptation so far.

Only thing for me was that the saint of killers was so ridiculously overpowered. Preacher is one of the few comic books I've found to be genuinely hilarious. And damn the ending was very emotional.

Yarr... Thar be spoilers ahead!

He's God's wrath incarnate, carrying twin firearms forged from the weapon of the angel of death himself.
Did you want more struggle in his attempts to carry out his duties?

Ok fair enough, but the fact that he was so completely undefeatable annoyed me a little.