Has there ever been a comic series/graphic novel as good as Sandman?

Has there ever been a comic series/graphic novel as good as Sandman?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/84075179/#84075179
hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/
comicsreporter.com/index.php/briefings/commentary/393/
youtube.com/watch?v=gr0XWmEbiMQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Sandman_spinoffs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nope.

Lots.

There was this one, forgot what it was called.

Nah.

Why is Lucifer always so whiny?

Nah.
Sandman is the logical conclusion to comics.

Not lots to be honest.

He is pretty much a rebel son angry at daddy.

I would say that the Mignolaverse comes close or is better in its totallity. It is at least the greatest comic universe written.

Yeah, bundles and bundles of them

Yeah, like that one thing with the guy?

Oh man, that one was great

If I read the main series but want more, what should I read? I know there are a number of spinoffs.

Hellboy

Lucifer.

Need to get all of this, but it's so damn expensive.

It's better than the TV show based off it, right?

>is the source material better than the adaptation?
The answer should be obvious.

I read about half of this, and I stopped because I wanted more Death and it seems like there isn't as much Death as I wish there was.

Someone tell me where she is and I'll read that.

It has a lot of great husbandos.
Hob ;_;

I want to ruffle Morpheus' hair. Does that make me gay?

You can find her if you kill yourself.

Books of Magic is good.

Also Lúcifer as the other user said.

Some non DC titles are also good.

Did you already read Overtrue and some of the other special issues with each endless? There is one explaining how Death is now the way that she is, one explaining why Dream pay só much attention to Earth (it has to do with being cucked by the antropomorphic personification of the sun of Oa of GL).

She says it herself user, it has value because it ends. Be content with what gaiman wrote, and be glad that some other two bit author doesn't cash in on her popularity with some awful Death ongoing or some shit like that.

You can read the chronollogical order here:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/84075179/#84075179

But support the original release.

I'm not going to read it there, user. I'm kinda autistic like that. Gotta buy first.
Unless it's an ongoing manga, then I read it weekly for free and buy the tanks later.

Except for the mini series about Death.
And one of the reasons she's so good is because Gaiman knows how to use her sparingly, so it's always special when she shows up.

Mike Carey's Lucifer
Death: The High Cost of Living/Time of your life
Overture

Am I forgetting any?

God made him that way

Gee, thanks dad!

If inhabitants of hell can leave at any time then why was Narda "trapped" for so long till Morpheus freed her?

Dave Sim's "Cerebus the Aardvark".

Even Neil Gaiman agrees.
>I'm sometimes a good writer. It irks me that Dave is, in my opinion (and when he's firing on all cylinders) as good as, or (okay, I'll say it) better than me, and he's had longer to be good. It also irks me that he's a far, far better artist than I'll ever be, and that he's a better publisher than the majority of us (particularly those of us who really couldn't run a successful lemonade stand).

Not even Gaiman's best comic work, that's Mr. Punch

>Cerebus, as if I need to say so, is still to comic books what Hydrogen is to the Periodic Table.

-Alan Moore

It's good, but inconsistent. It's obviously that in some parts, Gaimen wanted to make statements about storytelling. But quite a bit of it is just slightly connected to more clearly interconnected arcs that have, at best, a tenuous connection to Dream, or to 'dreams' (which is a pretty broad concept at that).

>it seems like there isn't as much Death as I wish there was.

>reading comic
>get to page with a brief description of each Endless
>some even going as far as to say what they smell like
>get to Death
>this is her page

i know that feel

I want to fuck Death!

What point is there in describing something you have already experienced?

Epic Comics' Moonshadow in my opinion.

stop posting smug death and tell me what she smells like!

formaldehyde, anesthetic, and fresh loam

Why would you refer to it by the publisher and not the creators? Especially when it's been published by more than one publisher?

Because I thought Vertigo one was different.

Vertigo was exactly the same, plus a sequel.

I didn't read the sequel. Should I?

Follow your heart.

hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/
comicsreporter.com/index.php/briefings/commentary/393/

>hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/

This list is pretty shit. But other one might be the best list I have ever seen so far.

did death just rip off Bob Ross?

If I enjoy Gaiman's books, how much would I like Sandman?

Original run of Hellblazer. John Constantine

Is that even a question?

nah, it's just the same old platitude put forth by anyone dabbling in the metaphysical without any coherent worldview

I find his novels meh, but I enjoyed Sandman.

Read The Books of Magic series and Superman: The Black Ring.

Why does Ennis dislike Gaiman so much?

Because he isn't as good-looking as him.

This.
>Hellblazer
>New Frontier
>Watchmen
>Swamp Thing
>Hitman
It's not many, but it's a few. Fite me.

>Goon
>Hellboy but that's been mentioned to death
>All Star Superman
>Kingdom Come
>Justice
>God Loves Man Kills
>Arkham Asylum

Yeah there's actually quite a few

Because he's Irish and gaiman's a tea drinker.

Kirby/Lee's Fantastic Four is pure comics, Doom Patrol is a work of art, and no one knows how to make you laugh and cry like Ennis

He hates cucks

>god loves man kills
Eh

He's Northern Irish, he's no more of a tea drinker than Gaiman is.

But Ennis was born a full blooded Catholic

The problem of having of having so many voters.
The comic reporter one?

To everyone who read Sandman, I'm curious.

How many of you have read The Dreaming?

>original run of Hellblazer
>posts a cover of Ennis' Hellblazer.

At this point most of the Mignolaverse is lots of different comics written and illustrated by people who aren't Mike Mignola. If you're going to do that, you might as well include the Death series, The Dreaming, Lucifer, House of Mystery and several others I can't remember off the top of my head with The Sandman.

I'd also go so far as to say that while there's some really, really good Mignolaverse comics, taken as a whole they're pretty uneven. Abe Sapien's solo series in particular is very weak, and a lot of early Hellboy is just "Hellboy encounters supernatural thing and/or nazis; loses gun; says crap; [Panel of a bird for atmosphere]; punches thing to death". The Storm and The Fury is an amazing conclusion, don't get me wrong, but let's not pretend its all like that.

I'd go so far as to say that I was a bit disappointed by Hellboy in Hell, and its really obvious that Mignola didn't plan it well and didn't really know what he was doing throughout. Atmospheric as all hell though.

I have the first two trades, is the rest ever gonna be collected?

bought the first four paperbacks and really enjoy them. a welcoming change to the superhero comics i read usually

Thanos, pls

Look at this album cover, Sup Forumsmrades. Look at the title. Is this coincidence? Am I just seeing things?
youtube.com/watch?v=gr0XWmEbiMQ
Working on it.

Yeah

Has there ever been a comic as good as (thing I like)?

Read all of Krazy Kat. Don't see what the big deal is

Hellblazer
Daredevil

Nah, she smells like a cute.

Homestuck, but I'm sure you all disagree.

this list is absolute shit.

>I'd go so far as to say that I was a bit disappointed by Hellboy in Hell, and its really obvious that Mignola didn't plan it well and didn't really know what he was doing throughout. Atmospheric as all hell though.

rereading it this week it's actually incredibly coherent, especially the snake motif leading up to the reveal in #9

top xanadu

The only truly great comics (meaning novel tier) are sandman, animal man and planetary.

(you)

what is so good at animal man? (i didnt read it)

>ASS
>Goon
>Arkham Asylum
>better than Sandman

get some fucking taste you newfag

He can't deal with the butthurt of the fact that he didn't create himself and has no true free will.

>Novel tier
What does that even mean?

Or just you haven't read enough comics. Animal man is great, but nowhere near being a top 3 run.

Saga of the Swamp thing and Doom Patrol are better.

Novel tier like Twilight, amirite?

Acme Novelty Library is the logical conclusion to comics.
But yeah no Sandman is GOAT.

this

Lucifer for further comikino
The Dreaming for more Sandman cast & concepts specifically
A SHITTON of minis under the Sandman Presents banner
And of course Gaiman's ancillary works like Endless Nights, Dream Hunters and Overture
Fuck it just plough through this and stop when it's no longer enjoyable:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Sandman_spinoffs

Also, since rec'd Books of Magic, I also rec Swamp Thing. Or at least #84, that's the super Sandman-relevant one. Especially if you decide to give The Dreaming a go.

I'm trying to think of an adaptation that's further from the source material than Lucifer and am drawing a blank.

She plays a big part in the ending unsurprisingly. Get back on that fucking horse user.

It was good and deserves more recognition but that's a bit of a stretch.

Licorice

It's not what you'd expect.