Namor The Sub-Mariner Storytime (Part 1)

Welcome back, Anons! Remember when Marvel could talk about the 90's without being ashamed?

Other urls found in this thread:

amny.com/lifestyle/why-can-t-we-go-up-the-statue-of-liberty-s-torch-1.7320932
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Okay, full disclosure, this particular thread doesn't have anything to do with Luke OR Danny. However, the next thread does, and the series as a whole will become fairly important for their futures.

>Written and Drawn by John Byrne

So, any odds on when Byrne goes full, well, Byrne?

>Out of the depths and into...
Oh, I wasn't close at all with "splashing"

Namor is supposed to be Namor Mackenzie, millionaire CEO

I've been kinda meaning to read this at some point anyway.

I don't QUITE remember why they think Namor's dead. I think it has something to do with "Atlantis Attacks"? I vaguely remember it gets explained later on.

The point is that they were PROUDLY boasting that this was a 90's Marvel comic, yet in the fullness of time we see that as a punchline.

I figure it's because comics.

As opposed to what, Namor Robins, freak gymnast?

Oh, cargo cults.

>"You throw a spear at me? Fuck you, I'll smash your god and then kick ALL of your asses!"

Classic Namor.

Namor is a weird hybrid of depressed and pissed the fuck off.

I plan to only do half of the series, although if there's still interest, I may do the entire series before moving on.

Headhunter is pretty qt when she shows up. Looking forward to that.

I know Byrne has a reputation for fixing comic plots (even if they don't need fixing), but this right here just encapsulates it. He had to retcon a blood imbalance to explain why Namor is always angry. As opposed to the much simpler explanation, that he's just an asshole.

Namor, megalomaniacal king of the ocean in a speedo

And for the next few pages, we'll get Namor's backstory.

Well luckily during this run, he spends a lot of time doing business, at least relative to other runs.

Daddy Namor saw a half-naked blue chick, and his first thought was "Imma put my dick in that."

Namor is indeed a chip off the old block.

And here they go into detail about that Oxygen Imbalance Namor has that I don't believe anyone has brought up since.

If I go through all the issues I plan to without passing out early, we'll get to her tomorrow!

I only want to see Namor if he's a bipolar asshole who can flip back forth between kind, noble and reasonable to selfish horny fuckhead from panel to panel

>"I remember to this day how foul the water tasted."

Well yeah, it's New York water. Frankly you're lucky you didn't bump into a body while you were down there.

well it came up in Earth X at the very least, and I wouldn't be surprised if it came up around the time he joined the X-Men

I forget, why exactly did Namor have amnesia during the Silver Age?

it's pretty quick. he gives a reason Namor is an asshole sometimes and nice sometimes

>Epilogue at the start
>Prologue at the end

Wow, and we bitch about editors now.

I was really referring to his vaguely pedophile tendencies.

We're about to be introduced to the long-running antagolists for the majority of the run.

>"I believe he is in the gun room."

I like to imagine that everyone in /k/ just has one of those. Like a big honking room full of guns like something out of the Matrix. I know it makes no sense at all, but I want to believe.

Remember this, she convinces her brother out of killing himself.
Also, according to the wiki this is the first appearance of Oracle Inc. If that's the case, then what was the deal with that company he randomly had in the Silver Age that he used to make a movie to get into Sue's pants that one time?

i figured but the fanboy pedantry is more fun to make fun of

also a quick scan of FF4 and it seems like Namor was just out of water so he had amnesia for most of the 40s and 50s??

I'm just here for based Headhunter

As much as I enjoy having people to read the storytimes, we're not getting to her tonight, I'm afraid.

Sorry about that, file size was too large.

Man, don't you just hate when you're talking to your father, and then a monster leaps through the window and attacks you?

Holy shit, her dad's a badass.

For those of you who've read classic New Warriors, here's Namorita.
For those of you who only liked Nova because of DnA, here's his old love interest.

Namor, buys a friggen castle even while he's supposed to be dead.

>"The world still thinks the sub-mariner is dead, so I'm going to jump out of a window and fly while wearing the scale-mail speedo that only the sub-mariner wears."

Aren't you supposed to be smart, Namor?

Turns out the Griffin made a lair in the same place volume 1 KSD Captain Marvel did.

Wow, that's some good damn eyesight.

>"this monster's mindless fury makes him almost as strong as the Hulk".

Power Creep is a hell of a thing, considering this guy was once beaten by a tag-team of Angel and Beast.

Wait, your plan was to get a mindless animal-like monster to kidnap a woman and see who'd try to save her?
Man, imagine how fucked this plan would be if, say, Spider-Man happened to be in the area.

This woman is dressed strangely skimpy considering she's only around her... twin? Are we supposed to think their twins?
I wonder if I'd have these incestual thoughts if I didn't know Byrne was on art AND scripting.

"For most of the century?" Wait, it's possible to get out there outside a helicopter?

Bitch is floating on panel 3

She's secretly an atlantean hybrid as well.

Well I'll be damned. Hey user, I was wrong, turns out we DO get a sneak peek of Headhunter tonight!

>"Nobody's beaten Namor in seventy years!"

You know, besides the Fantastic Four. And the Avengers. Shit, the Defenders probably have a few villains who have taken him out for a bit.

>Out of the Depths
>And into the power suit he's wearing in the logo box

This is where Danny becomes friends with Jim Hammond, right?
How far in do we need to wait for Human Torching?

DUN DUN DUN

>. I think it has something to do with "Atlantis Attacks"?

It would have to be something about the Avengers, he was basically the reason for the Hydrobase era.

Blue Nita was best Nita, though.

He is also really brash and temperamental.

They MET here, but they didn't really become friends until the first Heroes For Hire series.

I respect your right to that opinion, even if it is wrong.

I don't think she's dressed that skimpy.

>For those of you who only liked Nova because of DnA, here's his old love interest.

She came back at the very end of that Nova volume. However, Marvel editorial will say that never happened and she is still dead

If I was Namor I would carry around a squirt bottle everywhere with me

It was open to the public until 1916.
amny.com/lifestyle/why-can-t-we-go-up-the-statue-of-liberty-s-torch-1.7320932

Nice of those Irish dockhands to be as racist as dockworkers from the 40s would be, though.

I think EVERY spread page is too big for Sup Forums.

Oh come on, that meant that spread was basically a cop-out!

the Griffen stuff is so weird

I feel like Namor's eyeline here is right on Carrie's ass.

>"The only other superhero who runs around half naked is Hercules!"

I like to think that Headhunter just has an encylpedic knowledge on her beefcake.

Did we ever find out what the deal with that OTHER Namorita from Yost's New Warriors was?

Huh, geeky Nita doesn't look too bad...

>Wall Street's Most Famous Albino
Are there a lot of albinos on Wall Street?

>Secret Identity? What's that?

Look, I joke, but I'm pretty sure legit unaided flight is a relatively rare power in Marvel, at least compared to super strength.

Oh god, Namor's gonna do something fucking stupid again...

People joke that the Jews control the world, but in reality it's the Albinos. They just let the rest of the world think the jews do. It's a convent scapegoat.

>"I have lost my Atlantean throne once again, perhaps for all time..."

Spoilers, he gets it back.

Namor McKenzie, Animal Trainer.

Uh, Namor, she is a Warrior. A NEW Warrior.

>that smug as fuck grin

>convent scapegoat
A scapegoat that lives with nuns?

I meant to say convenient, but that too.

Namor decides to make a better symbol than that shit from ET.

Oh god, what is he planning?

wut

Well, Hercules up until the mid 90s when he went all Kevin Sorbo almost always just wore a miniskirt and a sash. Like, everywhere.

What the hell?

He wore that in Incredible Hercules too.

So basically this entire building is now dead, from the CEOs to the poor Janitors.

Namor don't fuck around.

It's a good design.

When your brother convinces you to whore yourself out to destroy some dude who he's obsessed with out of BOREDOM, you should rethink your life choices.

Namor vs. The Bubonic Plague!

And then Dan Abnett decided to mix things up.

Wait, THAT'S what Oracle does? It's an Oil company?

If only Matt Murdock's girlfriends showed this kind of self-preservation instinct.