Why didn't Sword and Sorcery kick off as much as capeshit after Lord of the Rings?

Why didn't Sword and Sorcery kick off as much as capeshit after Lord of the Rings?

There are a fuckton of super heroes everybody knows. One of the main things hollywood looks for in investments is prior name recognition. Sure there are a lot of fantasy novels, but almost none of them are as famous or malleable to new, shitty, generic scripting as are countless superheroes. You don't just have the x-men as a group, you have individual famous x-men with their own spin offs. Thor, Captain America, Spider Man, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Hulk, The Fantastic Four, Batman, The Joker, Silver Surfer, etc.

And now they have conglomerate movies on top of their individual movies, and there's a thousand other less known characters that you can just bill under the Marvel brand, or rope in with the avengers, or the justice league, or whatever. It's just the amount of easy money there.

It's already been done to death. It's been a staple of Hollywood pretty much since movies existed.

they tried
chronicles of narnia comes to mind but there were loads of others, also every movie ended in an epic battle for awhile (alice in wonderland???). most of it fell flat though
part of it is marvel runs a tight ship so they can keep the quality high (just look at the trash other studios release ). as opposed to fantasy where everyone tried to get into the game
maybe part of it is comic books are just inherently more visually interesting, most fantasy stuff looks pretty much the same
also sword&sorcery had its day. after conan the barbarian in the 80s there was a boom. highlander comes to mind.

>marvel runs a tight ship so they can keep the quality high
you mean they can keep the quality uniform. none of their flicks have surpassed medIocrity.

I wish someone to flood the market with cheap superhero flicks so the capeshit plague would finally die.

LoTR isn't Sword and Sorcery though

>wizard
>dragon
>magic sword
nigga you best be trolling

he's right. it's a low-magic setting (despite the presence of elves), just created a lot of the moral tropes associated with high fantasy/sword and sorcery

>part of it is marvel runs a tight ship so they can keep the quality high
what the fuck, where are you people coming from?

too expensive, and they usually look as silly as shakespeare in the park with all the gay names of everything

yeah I meant high in terms of mass appeal

>too young to remember narnia eragon and other shitty fantasy movies

keep enjoying your shitty marvel movies

there actually were a lot, but none of them were good or memorable.
first of all, it takes a lot of work to create a fantasy world, and a one off fantasy movie just ins't worth it.
this leads to almost every one of them being some sort of adaptation, which doesn't sound like a problem but for whatever reason ends up terrible.

second, even large licensed movies don't get a big budget, because companies like wizards of the coast or video game publishers don't like taking risks on movies. budget is probably more important for fantasy than sci fi or whatever, so that kills the movie right there.

capeshit has big companies with big budgets desperately trying to make as many movies as they can, and disney can funnel huge amounts of money to constant advertising.
also, they probably make more off merchandising than the movie.
the LOTR audience wasn't really the kind to buy a lot of toys and shit, not as much as the marvel one who is directly advertised to children.
capeshit has been mainstream and popular for like 75 years now, and there's constant demand all kinds of capeshit media.

It's very high magic, you can't take a piss in middle earth without hitting some magic artifact.
However it's very subtle magic, there aren't thousands of wizards running around shooting fireballs everywhere.

They tried

if you include medieval movies in with sword and sorcery we got Eragon, 2 Narnia movies, King Arthur, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, Tristen + Isolde, A Knights Tale, Timeline, etc. That's just off the top of my head too.

LOTR isn't Sword&Sorcery that's why.

and Shrek

LotR isn't sword and sorcery.

I think the source material for most high fantasy isn't well known enough to justify a $100-$200 million blockbuster. Lord of the Rings was very popular before the movies. Most other fantasy is obscure Dungeons and Dragons, or Dragonlance shit that only losers read back in the late 80's. I think once Game of Thrones ends, we might see some demand for some lower budget fantasy movies start to come around now the cgi isn't as expensive as it used to be, but it's hard to say.

Because at its core its a white supremacist power fantasy alienating people of color and the lgbt community

This.

>muh strong blond superhumans
>let's go genocide the brown hordes

Basically LOTR raised the bar too high so every single epic fantasy movie gets compared to LOTR and are always worse of course.

You have Star Wars. Game of Thrones, kind of.

Because medieval fantasy movies are really hard to make them not cringeworthy trash.

This.
They did try, I remember Eragon and how shitty that was. Don't forget they also had the Harry Potter franchise continuing, so any new movies would still have to compete with that, unable to fully ride off of the coat tails of LotR without competition.

Wtf? I love Lord of the Rings now!

Because only autistic nerds who aren't smart enough for books care about these overrated movies.

Its a problem with big budget media in general. Everything needs to be big stakes and "epic". Fantasy in particular is really big about this, limiting the potential about what they can do.

There is also the fact that "epic" Fantasy has a tendency to end, wrecking further franchise options for greedy studios.

>people died in 9/11 without ever seeing Fellowship or the first Harry Potter film.

Because it all falls flat when compared to perfection

It started the trend of 'epic' movies with huge CGI clusterfuck battles.

That was The Phantom Menace.

By what about GoT my dude?