Neill blomkamp gets a lot of shit for his films and rightfully so...

neill blomkamp gets a lot of shit for his films and rightfully so. Chappie being the worst film I watched in 2015 but goddamn if all his movies don't look pretty.

I don't know how he does it but the special effects and cgi blow other big budget films outta the water in visuals.

Even the low budget short films he's madeand posted on his youtube channel look good.
How does he keep doing it? Why don't other studios hire the same special effects team behind his movies for other films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=phko9L8rktM
youtube.com/watch?v=CBMT8jH-Uyk
youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apparently he has a background in special effects work.

>Chappie being the worst film I watched in 2015

Did you watch 3 films in 2015?

PIG LAUNCHER
I
G

L
A
U
N
C
H
E
R

youtube.com/watch?v=phko9L8rktM
youtube.com/watch?v=CBMT8jH-Uyk
maybe he should stop directing and writing scripts to focus his talents on sfx

he's a good director but needs to stop writing his own scripts.

his work seems like a big kid playing at making movies a lot of the time and has this kind of "third world" feel I can't quite place, reminds me of French low budget movies in how cartoonish it is

He's wasting his time and talent writing his own work and should just swallow his pride if he wants to get serious, or risk being exiled back to Youtube long term

I knew this movie was going to be garbage from the first trailer I ever saw. The first trailer for Chappie literally had 10 seconds of District 9 just to remind you who this directing hack was

All these assets they reused for when they wanted to make the Halo movie.

he gets the lighting correct. hollywood can't be assed I guess. good CGI is 90% lighting, the rest is animations.

I'll bet 100$ his next movie has a "drumpf btfo" message

I enjoyed chappie

those die antwood people in chappie are ugly as fuck but i like how he casts unique looking actors in his movies
reminds me of tango and cash or similar hollywood movies in the 80s and 90s

now every young actor in hollywood looks the same

The problem is everyone one of his films is 'the apartheid with x'. He's a good director and his action scenes are top tier.

Enjoyment doesn't mean that the movie is good, I enjoyed it too btw

His short film about repitilians taking over the world was a general diss against right politics

District 9 is one of my favourites. But for some reason I don't really like the rest of his work.

He reminds me of the guy who made Donnie Darko. One good movie, then total downhill of self indulging shit

Yeah, Neil Blomkamp talked about this before.

Take District 9 for example which had a small budget (in Hollywood terms) of 30 million, but ended up having better CGI than most high end movies.

Neil has said numerous times that his background in the effects side of things helped the CGI look its best. He knew how to light and shoot scenes properly enough to hide the limits of the budget. He also knew how to create a creature that looks complex, but for would be easy and cheap enough for the CGI artists to work with.

Kindly reminder Peter Jackson's veta made most of cgi for free

What did he mean by this?

That looks dumb as fuck but also interesting

If Trump doesn't do this then he should not be reelected.

The whole short was pretty cool. Akira in the middle of Vietnam.

youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs

>we'll never get a full-length Halo movie in this style

Feels bad.

Halo 3 had such perfect aesthetics. I hate the power ranger shit in the post bungie halo.

The problem with Chappie is the really interesting bits like the transhumanism aspect take backseat to mindless, generic action. What a wasted potential.

Why didn't they just jump on the spaceship instead of having it drop a truck

It's obviously very well done but part of it is that he uses rigid models like robots, insect exoskeletons etc. When you try to make all flesh i guess it's more difficult to get that detail and realism