Thoughts on the current Thunderbolts run so far?

Thoughts on the current Thunderbolts run so far?

I'd like to know your opinion OP, the art is keeping me from reading it.

meh

I thought it was a 90s comic reprint until I saw Winter Soldier on the cover.

The Thunderbolts are on the run, but still doing good deeds. Oh, and Kobik's there, acting like a little girl, just trying to have fun while these guys do serious business. Moonstone is a bitch, and the Inhumans just showed up.

It is ugly and increasingly obviously just a tie-in to Spencer's Hydra Cap book that he should probably be writing himself.

I kinda feel that it's bad, but still enjoyable

Extreme

It's got all of the dumb comic stuff I want from a Thunderbolts comic.

bland bait with annoying art, like everything else they put out these days, barring few exceptions

It makes me sad.

Hate the art, I wanted Zemo to be there, but he dodged a bullet with nuLiefeld

Zemo is basically confirmed. Once Spencer is done with his shame spiral he'll go hero again.

I definitely get what they were trying to do with the art by having someone so clearly 90s do it.

but Bagley drew the original Tbolts and they use him all the time because hes evolved his style to the point that its still relevant and good, so like, they ruined what they were going for.

how is Fixer alive again?

That's what I keep hearing, but how do you know that's what Spencer wanted.
Also, Busiek/Fabian's Thunderbolts is one of capecomics GOAT along with Ostrander's SS

Jesus that looks so fucking 90's.

90s Bagley didn't even look anything like this. Completely different type of stylizing.

And that rubs me so wrong. Thunderbolts was classic Marvel during the 90s x-treme era. It felt like a conterpoint to Heroes Reborn even

I disagree, fellow user see

Supposedly that will be explained

There was a podcast he did about Zemo's character arc and I think on twitter the Thunderbolts writer said Zemo would probably show up in his run and that he's working closely with Spencer (though of course the cube girl would necessitate that too).

I honestly can't understand what people find so offensive about the art. It's not amazing, but it's serviceable enough. There hasn't been enough characterization so far, and compared to how she is portrayed by Spencer, Kobik feels really one-dimensional and insincere. She's effectively a different character.

thats what I was trying to say, but clearly I fucked my words up.
They wanted to go full 90s as a throwback to the original, but fucked up because Bagley's old art even then wasn't all extreme.

theres most likely a Captain America x2/Thunderbolts crossover coming up in the fall, based on comments Spencer and Zub were making on twitter. Especially makes sense with the September Tbolts cover.

>but it's serviceable enough

It really isn't. Shit it worse than Brett Booth.

But agreed on the characterization. I think Kobik might be acting out on orders from Red Skull though.

Can you provide a link? >My google-fu is failing me

>It really isn't. Shit it worse than Brett Booth.

son, you feeling okay?

Malin's art isn't that bad in the book, but the cover is definitely a mess.

Booth is terrible all around.

Secret Wars

Man, seeing Liefeld draw Bucky makes me realize for the first time just how fucking 90s his design his.

>long hair
>military jumpsuit
>metal arm
>guns

Would not have been out of place in the 90s at all.

Bucky and Karla are pretty spot on IMHO, the rest no so much, specially dudebro Abe. What irks me is that has been little plot so far.

More like early 2000s tacticool to me,

We may have to agree to disagree then

I'm sorry your eyes are broken

Can you please explain to me what is objectively wrong with it? I want to understand what everyone else can see that I'm missing.

I haven't liked Karla. There was like one page early on when I thought they were doing right by her when she was trying to get the kid on her side but her wanting to be leader and shit was way off.

You're right, I had forgotten that. Karla doesn't want to lead in the spotlight

I would forgive the deplorable art if the writing was better, but it is not. Christ, what a huge disappointment this book has been.

>They wanted to go full 90s as a throwback to the original, but fucked up because Bagley's old art even then wasn't all extreme.
Right, people who never read the original book wanted to make a throwback. They just heard the original comic started after Onslaught.

I've heard good things about the writing, but I'm so bummed out by the art.

It's like the artist used that "98 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings" article as a study guide.

I really tried, I did. But THIS PANEL, HOW.

Dude, it's amazingly bad. There's literally something wrong with almost every panel.

>backgrounds next to nonexistent
>...and for a comic that's mostly just people standing around on empty plains talking at each other, it's got remarkably bad standing people
>only emotion is smirk or annoyed smirk
>depth perception constantly fucked
>people change size regularly
>rampant sameface
>backs that look like fronts and vice versa
>action is confusing/nonsensical

...I could go on.

The art isn't my favorite, but it's grown on me somehow. It seems to fit the feel of the comic. It's fun and dynamic.

Kobik's redesign still bothers me though, and she acts a lot more manic than how she was in Standoff. She had some cute moments with Bucky, though.

I have hopes for where the story goes tying into CWII and how the Red Skull & Hydra Cap plot intersects with it.

It's shit. Aside from Atlas doesn't read like a Thunderbolts book, Bucky is entirely bland, art is awful, the plot is completely forgettable and Kobik's way too random.

Thunderbolts #3 preview: #4: vs. the Squadron Supreme!

The art is bad but I could live with that if the writing was good.

Characters are one note and not even the right kind of one note (dudebro Abe being one example). Character voices are way off, Fixer in particular. Kobik as a character is actually both creepy and endearing when Spencer is writing her, while Zub's Kobik makes me wish that Fixer and Zemo had succeeded in ending her existence in Standoff. You can very much tell that the only character Zub gives a shit about is Bucky and the rest are basically decoration. It's like opposite of Spencer who seemed like he'd rather be writing a Thunderbolts book during Avengers: Standoff and Superior Foes.

That said, Zub hasn't done anything character destroying to the T-Bolts (yet), though I think Songbird is in real danger of getting character assassinated by him.

B-Lister heroes unite!!! With the exception of Winter Soldier who is only there to help sell the comic.

I would love to see Spencer on Tbolts as long as he remembered to make them competent.

Maybe it has something to do with why he looks like his original Tbolts disguise instead of being bald.

Make it an event since UA will be involved too.

The worst part is, that's all the readers seem to think, given the letters are ALL about Bucky.

Songbird's life is suffering

Jesus, the crown of thorns is a bit over the top, amirite?

Best lineup

i'm still pissed they killed off Genis Vell though.

Yeah, here is Bagley's alternate cover for the first issue of this run. The difference between this and the interiors is obvious.

That isn't the group that killed off Genis-Vel.

>That isn't the group that killed off Genis-Vel.

i just meant in general.

shit

It's great, too bad it would never pass through the editorial.

You've never read invincible user ?

>crossovers non stop

Karla would just laugh at Melissa being a drama queen.

Who are the foreground characters here? First instinct was to do purple=Zemo and orange=Karla but that doesn't look like either of their current designs

Assuming you're not joking, it's Captain HYDRA and Songbird. Obviously.

they are only in the reflections, the ones closest to the reader are different characters in different costumes

Flat characters. Uninteresting plot. Zub's not a good writer. Nothing's going to happen until they finally hit the Cap crossover either.

It's not actually Liefeld though is it?

>it's a comic reader who doesn't understand lighting
That's literally Cap's shoulder, and that's literally Songbird's shoulder. It's their reflections because it's them.

Why would they draw a heavy yellow/red light behind them but a white light inside Bucky's room?

Because you can see right there Bucky's cell has its own lights, while Cap and Songbird are in a darker room.

That's what I'm saying though. Songbird's sleeve is black but it looks almost red there. That's not just a light strength difference, that's a light color difference if it's supposed to be them outside too and not just a symbolic thing.

The room they are in is probably got some red light or something to represent "DEEP SECURITY ZONE" or some shit. You're overthinking it.

I guess I'd have liked to see the outside light source too if it is just that because it's definitely not what I first thought just looking at the cover.

>You're overthinking it.

probably

Nope

The costumes match user, you're overthinking. Ewing would be the ideal choice for a Thunderbolts book...or PAD, he loves his plot twists, and that's what Thunderbolts was in his best era...surprise after surprise