The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own

"Okay, maybe my dad did steal Itchy. But so what? Animation is built on plagiarism! If it weren’t for someone plagiarizing the Honeymooners we wouldn’t have the Flintstones. If someone hadn’t ripped off Sergeant Bilko, there’d be no Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum, Yogi Bear? Hah! Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney. Your honor, you take away our right to steal ideas, where are they gonna come from?"

Other urls found in this thread:

harpers.org/archive/2007/02/the-ecstasy-of-influence/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's right. But they were taking credit for someone elses stolen idea.

Stealing someone's idea is not cool.

Stealing someone's idea and putting your own spin on it, no matter how insignificant, is okay.

What a world.

>Your honor, you take away our right to steal ideas, where are they gonna come from?
Reboots.

>Geroge Jetson? Dick Van Dyke.

this, this "you need to be 100% original" bullshit is a fucking lie because any creative person will always base his creations on life experience or the media they consume, not saying its impossible to come up with something that has never been done before but its pretty damn rare. Being original is like playing with legos, you may not have invented the pieces but the way you will use them can end up as something new and interesting, you don't need to literally invent a new piece of lego, just use the legos as base to work on your own aproach of the core idea of the original

>Steal one guy's idea: plagerism
>Steal many different guys' ideas: research

Proper research typically involves citing your sources.

Its like sand. You don't take some one else's sand castle until after they are done with it. but then its open season and its all just sand again for people to do as they please. set the time limit lower please, thats all I want.

captcha was all images of storefronts. spooky.

>saying the sky is green and citing yourself is "proper research"
>saying the sky is blue and citing the many sources that weren't written by you isn't "proper research"

That makes sense.

I think the idea is that you should understand the basics of what made the original property good, then build on that.

For example, Superman is considered a lucrative and fun hero, right? Many could argue that he's just based on Jesus and him "saving humanity". You could make the same accusation with all heroes. The twists and spins on the story are what give it life.

So what is the definition of inspiration, then, Sup Forums?
Is it just another word, a epheumism for plagiate?

I recommend everyone read this essay on Influence and/or Plagiarism, it's long, but very illuminating.

harpers.org/archive/2007/02/the-ecstasy-of-influence/

Meant just 'and'

>Chief Wiggum

rebeccasugar.png

so lets say i take the image of a random character, lets say warrior lady of the wasteland
sure she has some lore on another cards, but no personality or anything

if i make her my own character and give her another story different from the one she is suppose to have

how is that called?

Fanfiction?

At that point just using the look is maybe a homage.

What are you trying to say exactly.

I think you differentiated enough that she's a rip off.

There are only six basic plots.

The "Blondie" movies from the forties, actually. They even cast Penny "Blondie" Singleton as Jane.

I thought it was 7?

Overcoming the Monster
Rags to Riches
The Quest
Voyage and Return
Comedy
Tragedy
Rebirth

Yes but the rights to Mickey Mouse aren't up to debate. Disney will forever own the name and likeliness. Don't fuck with Mickey

Definitely wouldn't say The Flintones "Plagiarised" The Honeymooners", more like it was "Inspired by...". They took the template of an over weight working-class man, and his 'nagging' wife and applied it to their pre-historic cartoon. Plus, this wouldn't be out of the norm for 1950/60 gender stereotypes, anyway. This trope as been continued and modified in western pop culture forever, I.e- The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of Queens.

I love how he noticed when he heard his name called out.

What's the difference between The Quest and Voyage and return?
You missed A Stranger comes to town.

Who is chief wiggum based on?

He's based on an older version of you.

That's completely correct.

Half the shit on this image is probably wrong, though.

it's missing carl jung

don't forget Rags to Riches to Rags, But Now They Have Friends

>Half
That's an understatement. Whoever made that chart was grasping at straws to make things look worse. There are much stronger and simpler things to put in there. Hell, Ideon takes care of most of it, but Anno actually worked on that show.

I think we limit our potential with this "I did it first" mentality, music, inventions and what have you.
Everyone wants to be a rockstar when making great music should be the priority.

Every anime is just Tetsujin 28 with some stank, prove me wrong
>protip: you won't

I wonder where The Big Lebowski fits.

That image really speaks to me.

It came from /m/, a board that convinced itself for the longest time that EoE was just The General Zapped an Angel because it has the same cover.

Has nobody made Ghost Mutt yet?

An Eccentric Fews Days

Every story that was every going to be told was done around a campfire about 50,000 years ago, and we've just been reinterpreting them ever since. Hell, we've been retreading the Epic of Gilgamesh over and over again with every single heroes journey story.

The matter of "stealing" an idea is kinda moot, since at the end of the day the audience won't care if you make the story/characters/setting etc interesting enough.

The thing about it is that a story or it's characters and setting have to have enough cultural or metatextual touchstones for an audience to find them interesting in the first place. Audiences are unlikely to become invested in things that are too far removed from what they're already familiar with.

There's an manner of thought on Sup Forums, at least, and frequently in contemporary culture which values novelty over craftsmanship. Perhaps because genuine surprise seems more difficult to execute than intertextual themes and references but that raises the question of whether or not the merit of a piece of art is really divorced from the feat of craftsmanship that produced it.

I'll take the less common position that rehashes are not necessarily worse than their inspirations and can be made more valuable through cultural context and self-awareness.

The Quest doesn't always end with a return, it's usually:
>person living normal life
>destiny calls
>person does thing
>defeats villain/stops thing/avoids or pushes through force of nature
>yay
>the end
While Voyage and return is:
>person has a happy life, or a shitty one, but it's still shitty and they haven't tried to fix it yet
>gets separated from family, friends and what have you and thrown into bad shit/real world
>goes around doing stuff, trying to get back, usually along the way they learn something that changes their life completely, even when they get back
>eventually gets back, wiser and happy to return home (if it's a movie, and not a TV show that they're trying to milk as long as they can)
Sometimes the quest is to get back home, though, so there's no reason you can't have both at the same time

I don't like sand.

JoJo?

shimoneta is a thing you know

That's a really stupid comparison. Jesus was a prophet, not a vigilante. The point of the new testament is that Jesus shows people how to better themselves, showing them the errors in their ways, and then sets them free from their burdens by an ultimate self sacrifice.
The miracles are merely show, he cannot fight evil in the way superman can.

Shotaro pilots Tetsujin, the robot which he has a connection to which gives him power. Shotaro fights by proxy using Tetsujin.

In Jojo, stand users fight by proxy using stands, powers that are both apart of them yet highly connected to them.

Like Shotaro, using a piece of hidden technology exclusive to herself and given to her by her estranged father(the anti censor phone code) Ayame fights against injustice and uses her wits and to overcome adults who would use the same powers to less than idealistic ends.