20 years later and its still good

Christ

youtube.com/watch?v=K55ywJ_wD64

Just watched this again. Its like seeing that chick you wanted to bang in highschool later in life and realizing she is even hotter now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zaRHU1XxMJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=P9bKxRQfvs8
youtube.com/watch?v=gOmJLk1lu08
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes the hacking scenes are very authentic

And with one FPBP the thread was over....

>looks realer than some fanfic released 2 years ago
lmao, lets just have dinos fight XD big cgi spectacle the kids'll love it

It's been 24 years, user.

>tfw I can remember when AMC showed it several times a week for it's 15th anniversary

Where the fuck did the time go

The film showed Silicon Graphics workstation (using IRIX, the SGI System V based Unix) running a three dimensional file system browser

That user interface was product placement and it was very real. Unfortunately, 3D file browsers never caught on.

youtube.com/watch?v=zaRHU1XxMJQ

She was simply browsing.

still some of the best combining of practical and visual effects ever made

Second only to Independence Day if you ask me.

I was watching this scene again a couple days ago. The way the t-Rex interacts with the jeep is fantastic. It looks genuinely terrifying at 3:12. The whole scene is masterful and you get a real sense of Spielberg's talents. There's a horrible weightlessness to Jurassic World and most other CGI shit flicks. It's awful watching actors act against tennis balls. The human eye has an innate bullshit-detector and it's triggered in scenes like the I-Rex vs the t-Rex in JW. I think technical film making in big budget movies is effectively dead at the moment. Studios just outsource this shit and call it a day.

Did anyone here go to the 20th anniversary 3D theatrical showings they had going on back in 2013?

user utterly BTFO

>if movies look this great now just imagine how they'll look in 30 years

>tfw she was too l33t 4 u

I'm so glad that didnt catch on. That's awful

Entertainment projected/displayed on a 2D screen will be just as antiquated as puppet shows put on by some poor Italian in a tourist trap, attempting to preserve the art form.

They still show it several times per week.
Just last week they had "Raptorfest"

Imagine the over the top CGI shitfest action scene this would be today.

Jurassic Park is the 90s' Jaws. It allowed the Berg to do what he excels at so he could deliver another top of the line horror/thriller masterpiece.

you dont need to imagine, Jurassic World exists

This was LITERALLY the first time any living thing was CGI'ed in a movie.
Let that sink in for a minute.
Before you have liquid metal and not much else.
It's insane.

I only wish the people involved in these movies could just be honest and say they're mostly just entertainment for kids and fun loving adults but they always have to act like they're actually trying to make a genuine piece of cinematic art. Watching Bryce Dallas Howard, Chris Pratt, and Colin Trevorrow talk out of their asses about how they're trying to preserve JP's legacy with good films that would make Michael Crichton proud is just painful.

This scene is the best use of CGI ever

Debate me

The Jeeps becomes all CGI as shown in the hour long behind the scenes special with James Earl Jones

>woman aging past high school prime
>hotter

Sorry I dont fuck grandmas

It better, They Spared no expense

Won't debate, but I have a theory. Since these CGI effects artists were literally pioneers, nobody claimed to understand what they were doing or how or why it worked, there was a mysticism to their craft and as such they were left alone to get only the best results. Their pioneering meant they never got lazy or complacent about matching lighting to the live action plates, and the utmost care was taking for compositing.

Cut to now, when every dickhead has photo editing software on their phones and execs are allowed to give notes on CGi shots like they know a single fucking thing about how it works, too many cooks spoiling the broth, asking for things like different shapes on explosions, more debris etc, or even commenting on weight in animation. Compositing is a job title and the pioneering attention to detail that made jurassic park believable has been replaced by routine, because execs who dont understand CGi demand for it to be done cheaper, treating the artists poorly, thus getting subpar work, which they feel they need to give notes on, which starts the whole cycle again.

youtube.com/watch?v=P9bKxRQfvs8
worth the watch

Apparently during breaks in shooting the t-rex would sometimes scare the shit out of the crew or visitors to the set by making uncontrolled movements like head turns etc caused by water interfering with the electronics. I think with today's technology, life on sets must be very different these days. More sterile, fewer cool stories and a reduced sense of accomplishment and adventure in movie making. Where's the magic in sending all your action scenes away to be rendered by a special effects team in Korea?

lol they've played Jurassic Park like a dozen times in the last week or two alone

I'm sure they have but I barely watch the channel anymore. I just remember them running ads celebrating the 15th anniversary back in 2008.

>Their pioneering meant they never got lazy or complacent about matching lighting to the live action plates, and the utmost care was taking for compositing.

Well judging from this making of:
You had a miniature and stop motion master doing that, you had Stan Winston doing large animatronics and then another master on compositing.

Then they made the entire storyboards into miniature claymation to make sure they figured out where everything would go later.

This is just 12 minutes in, but rest assured this level of pre-production is not going to happen now. One key exception might be for the Avatar sequels, because it's James Cameron and they're pre-planning 52 sequels, so they need to have their shit together since it's gonna cost the GDP of a small nation.

I did, and it was fucking great. Watching it in a theater made me appreciate the sound so much more.

correct. there is a lot of freedom with new GCI techniques that allows directors to do great handheld work. it was that they used the best people but knew their limits in Jurassic Park that allowed them to create a good result. The best CGI now arguments films in ways we don't see.

I just watched JW for the first time a couple days ago. Even outside of the obvious technical side of things and the competency of those working in each department, there was a lack of 'heart' in JW compared to JP. I hate complaining about intangible things, but I can't think of a better way to describe it. There's a quality to films like JP that is totally missing from movies like Jurassic World.

Most movies lack heart today. It's a common problem. Every MCU movie lacks heart. You just don't care about anything happening and by the time it's over you feel empty inside because the movie didn't make you feel anything... besides empty inside.

I went to go see it in 70mm IMAX four fucking times. It was amazing. Ironically enough, I finally picked up the 3d bluray and it brought me back to 2013. I think its the best looking 3d film along side Pacific Rim and Avatar.

There's a real talent in blockbusters that's missing these days.

That scene had so much going on at the same time in terms of special effects, sound effects, lighting, angles, actors actions etc.

Pacific Rim is gay af tho bruh

Looking at this now one of my favorite shots is at 0:52, the head is the animatronic and then the camera zooms in on the view out of the windshield and the rex walking away is CG, all in one shot. Most everything else in the film is either cg in a shot or practical in a shot, but this is possibly the only one to blend the two.

Pacific Rim was really gay

Pacific Rim? Why? It was so gay...

>Pacific Rim

Haha how fucking gay

>6 years later and it's still good

>still has the most kino main theme

youtube.com/watch?v=gOmJLk1lu08

Not gonna lie, but Pacific Rim was pretty gay...

that's amazing