Best scary movies? I want something that will actually scare me not jump scare bullshit

Best scary movies? I want something that will actually scare me not jump scare bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AeAzGxWlEcg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

John Carpenter's The Thing

The Shining

This. I know it's probably annoying seeing so many user not shut the fuck up about this movie but it is truly amazing.

Watch The Thing from Another World and the Blob too. Great 50s sci fi horror.

youtube.com/watch?v=AeAzGxWlEcg

Horror's too subjective. Scary shouldn't be a qualification for enjoying a horror movie if its goal is to convey an idea or if it was made in an era where specific types of horror was popular. I found Audition (1999) slow but it has good gross out, The Descent (2005) is always a good watch for me idk why just a reliable movie, anything Hitchcock is good, The Romero "Dead" films are good, anything Chronenberg, anything Carpenter and around that era like The Omen, Suspiria or Hausu. Depends if you want something creative, something campy or something gross out. If you're trying to be scared then you're probably not going to find what you're looking for, it happens sporadically.

28 Days Later used to scare the fucking daylights out of me. I seriously had nightmares for a year after that. It all seemed so plausible when i was 12

Lake Mungo. It's not THAT great, it's actually kind of boring (it's a faux documentary about ghosts), but something about it just stuck with me and I lost sleep over it. It does have one jumpscare but it felt earned.

>Ju-On The Curse,2,The Grudge
>Noroi
>Baskin
>rec

This. I still can't decide whether it was kino or not but it definitely chilled me and, mind you, I've never been in any way shape or form even remotely scared by a horror film.

What was the movie about the couple that goes into the woods and thinks they are being hunted and accidentally take down a barrier holding back some dimension of sleep demons?

It might even still be on netflix but I have no idea what it's called anymore.

I remember shitting my pants watching Los Sin Nombre home alone in the middle of the night back in my late teens.
Don't know how it would fare today though.

Cabin in the Woods?

>Noroi
Shitty pacing for a weak payoff that was super predictable, like it wasn't even a twist. They should have ended it on the mountain scene, that was actually spooky.

No that's too obvious, I'm trying to describe it without giving out too many details but fuck it.

They keep finding weird shit in the forest and this guy wandering around freaking them out. eventually they find the guys cabin and go inside and discover this crazy altar and I think some sort of caverns.

They end up disturbing the altar and the guy confronts them and tells them that he is the only thing holding back the demons from the dream world from coming and pushing our mortal shit in.

The guy sacrifices himself to stop the flood of demons and the dude in the couple becomes the new guardian.

Eraserhead alone in the dark at 2 a.m. first time freaked me the fuck out.

Ouija origin of evil, the witch, the original Funny Games if you want to get shook, Sinister, Don't Breathe for slow burn , Scary is a subjective word

Eyes Wide Shut creeps me TFO

Buried
This one is just claustrophibic and tense

Absentia
Couldn't sleep after than one. Very fucked up movie

The Witch was a great spooky atmosphere, got that dark treeline perfect, ended a bit too Goya, not evil enough

There is one "new" indie flick,from Ireland,i think.
Anyway,end is fuckd up but concept of them two locking themselvdes in the house over 6 months period and making sacrifice(cut pieces of them,wierd pagan shit) to call "ssomeone beyond" was done great while you still couldnt figure out are they just 2 locked up maniacs who harm themselves or real invokers.
Alow paced, but good dilm, if they took 2 psychos route, movie would probably become small cult flix,,as it is ,its ok watch but last 9 minutes spoil it forme

goodnight mommy is a great foreign film too

The Mothman Prophecies. Eerie as fuck.

I was watching this movie at 2 am the other night thinking, LMAO WTF? is this bland, faux-docu shit... then they got to the part where they started showing the girl in pictures and I almost shat myself. I've never felt such an overpowering sense of dread.

>overpowering sense of dread
Describes this movie for me from the moment they showed her bloated corpse. The beach scene was almost too much.

OK I am gonna give you guys a good one, you will all thank me later...

Kill List ( 2011 )

You're welcome, wish I could find more movies like this and Eyes Wide Shut

The Conspiracy.

pfft not scary, but was pretty good

>the implication that you'll family will eventually move on without you but you'll be unable to let them know you still need help
>they'll be convinced that they helped you move on and you'll be stuck for eternity

anti christ?

If you're looking for atmospheric horror try Suspiria, House (1977), or Picnic at Hanging Rock.

The shrine?

Honeymoon?

great film, William Defoe is always fantastic

Good but not scary scary like what OPs asking for. Light horror if anything.

I Saw The Devil is horror at its best

Rosemary's Baby. The ending is so fucked up and freaky you just want it to stop.

The Thing's horror comes from the sense of dread. You can't win in that situation. Everything is pointless. It's fucking terrifying. You just outed yourself as an idiot.

Just Before Dawn (1981) is the GOAT underrated horror movie.

Eyes Without a Face has a great gothic feel to it

Mr. Jones. Decent movie

Bug (2006)
Certainly not a horror movie but creepy, in a human kinda way. Also very excellent acting.

When a Stranger Calls(the old one) first scene is the best horror movie scene ever. The rest of the movie is pure shit though.

NOROI

Can we get some creepy pics from lake mungo in here

Kys

BRUH U TRIPPIN LMAOOOOOOO WHITE OOL STAY WILIN