POLARIZE THE HULL PLATING

POLARIZE THE HULL PLATING

I just love how much of a smug asshole this guy was.
Dunno why this show gets so much hate

>Dunno why this show gets so much hate
Outside Archie no other character was that good.

weirdest episodes of Quantum Leap ever.

Oh boy!

One of many, many problems with this show was how hull plating behaved exactly like shields, complete with them being able to divert energy to reenforce it. Why claim it's different if it's going to behave exactly the same?

>We don't have photon torpedoes, we have photonic torpedoes. Completely different!
>We don't have phasers, we have phase pistols. Completely different! (Even though they even have "stun" mode)

Hull plating technology was the basis of shields and evolved contemporarily with turbolaser tech.
You're just an idiot.

>I just love how much of a smug asshole this guy was.

seems like that's all starfleet captains

>behaved exactly like shields
>crew get transported and kidnapped through polarized hull
Yeah totally the same!

>implying shields ever stopped someone from beaming and kidnapping people if the plot required it

It's plating. On the hull. When it fails that means it's been penetrated or blown off the hull and that in turn means you shouldn't have it five minutes later when you get into the next fight. Shields on the other hand are an energy bubbles coming from one or more generators and unless those are destroyed it's just a matter of repairing the generators or recharging them. So "hull plating" should have been measurable inferior to shields yet in Enterprise it was superior in almost every engagement.

This literally never happened except when they were dealing with future technology that wouldn't be stopped by shields anyway. Either "hull plating" stopped beaming or else no one had the tech to do it anyway.

You're an idiot.

No, just someone pointing out a problem with the show. Does that bother you?

I think you mean polarize the fanbase.

It's just DS9 tards who don't like it. The rest of the fanbase loves it.

I'm not big on either one of them but I dislike Enterprise more because it screws with the continuity so bad you'd think they completely lost the series bible.

because it has the worst fanbase

In First Contact they managed to beam the Worf and the Defiant crew onto the Enterprise through the shields. Unless you think they actually lowered them while trading blows with a Borg cube.

>this entire thread
Star trek fans are truly autistic

What would be Archers game?
Waterpolo maybe?

Why is Janeway tic tac toe?

She is crazy

"Polarize" it suggests basically putting giant sunglasses on the plating.

Shields are energy bubbles...now. But I don't think they were in TOS. That had to wait for CGI to create them.

Note all science fiction uses these now so the writers can get away with not having their invasions get killed by gut-liquefying MOABs and guided missiles and stuff that can penetrate dozens of steel-reinforced concrete before even exploding.

polarize the hull: Make it either negative or positive charged.
If it's charged for example negatively it will repel negatively charged things. The problem is it will attract positive things. That's why they change the polarity continuously. Thing will go around the ship if those things are charged.

That's perhaps a poor choice of words for the naming, then. "Ionize" or something like that might have been better.

With sufficient counter-ionizing, they could counteract ion or plasma beams' destructive power. It would do nothing against lasers (but "polarizing" would) and would not protect against the kinetic impact of the beams, just the chemically destructive nature of the ions.

That's friendlies. They can sync shield frequencies.

they got stun at the end as a homage to the series obv

Pretty sure polarization is done against certain types of energy weapons.

The same way sunglasses reduce light intensity reaching your eyes.

Silly Trek question thats always bugged me-
Do the 'shields' protect against physical projectiles?
I know they can stop any kind of energy by pushing a button and shouting some science shit, but has there ever been a weapon that fucked up the ship with plain old fashioned missles or nukes?

lol

The Deflector makes all physical matter bounce out the way. It's mentioned once in ENT when it fucks up and moving the ship causes a load of fractures as space dust starts smashing into it.

Considering the shields are basically superpowered versions of nav deflectors, and nav deflectors are designed to deflect debris out of the ships path...

Torpedoes generally can't penetrate shields, but iirc there are some types that can fly right through them.

I'm not sure worf would do this it sounds gay. Like girls syncing their periods.

Kek

For Picard, it would be horse riding (and water-polo for archer).

>turbolaser

Started with hull plating

Moved onto energy shields

Then Voyager showed that in the future they went back to physical armor

Circle of life

I just got to ENT after watching through all of Trek (except Voyager, I can't bear that shit) and I have to say it's easily my third or perhaps second favorite Trek. it still feels very much like Trek in tone (unlike for example SGU which didn't feel like Stargate at all), but at the same time it turns down the autism levels and manages to feel infinitely more realistic and relatable than the other shows. turns out you can do a Star Trek where people come across like real people and not autists on valium in pyjamas trying to fix the tech problem of the day that wouldn't even exist without technobabble in the first place. figures why autists hate this show. the widescreen bluray experience is also quite refreshing after sitting through TOS, TNG, and DS9 in 4:3.

even the song is great, fuck you

Klingon men have periods, and it is not gay at all it is very honorable

Best character desu.

>tsundere alien nemesis who develops a mutual respect for the hero

Yeah, not at all overdone or cliche

>pink skin

>turns out you can do a Star Trek where people come across like real people and not autists on valium in pyjamas trying to fix the tech problem of the day that wouldn't even exist without technobabble in the first place

EXACTLY

>turns out you can do a Star Trek where people come across like real people and not autists on valium in pyjamas trying to fix the tech problem of the day that wouldn't even exist without technobabble in the first place

Exactly!

um ds9 already had that for most of the show

>ywn save the galactica

>people trying to over-analyse technology in star trek

If you do that then there's a million flaws in the show. eg there aren't surfveillance cameras in every room and corridor, nobody ever uses the teleporter to just beam monsters/aliens into space to kill them etc

That's why all the best episodes were not about the technobabble.

SGU felt like Stargate again by S2. That show was going places and the possibilities were fucking endless. Fuck Syfy.

Members of the kibbutz you grew up in are not real people.

Phil?

>there aren't surfveillance cameras in every room and corridor
that's what the ship's internal sensors are for

>nobody ever uses the teleporter to just beam monsters/aliens into space to kill them
the ship's internal sensors are always conveniently down whenever an alien boarding party is present and you can't just teleport someone off an enemy vessel that has working shields, even if you could it would be pretty un-starfleet

>Outside Archie no other character was that good.
Ahem

>that's what the ship's internal sensors are for
what, providing less information than a video recording would? there's plenty of situations that come up where camera footage would have solved the issue

>even if you could it would be pretty un-starfleet
what about the other thousands of races? it would be a common tactic - knock out shields then beam everyone to space, and you have a free empty ship to steal

God you people are annoying as fuck. All you do is try to rationalize every irrational thing like mental patients suffering with schizophrenia.

I'm not annoying, dude. Frak you. Apologise.

Polarisation is the actual scientific term for what user was describing. The name is unfortunately shared with polarisation of light, which is a totally different thing.

The Federation should switch to a Chinese-Russian hybrid to avoid these sorts of dilemmas

>Go to the only place literally where Klingons and Romulans live in peace.
>"Hey guys, see you are living in peace here, but that is not my view of what Klingons should be, instead of living in a utopia where everyone is happy and tolerant, I'm going to teach RACISM to your children, FUCK ROMULANS REEEEEEE"
>Romulans are like "Why are you doing this? We love eachother here, we live in a great place, you're destroying our families"
>All the Klingon youth, with their mind filled by Worfs racist Klingon propaganda leave, destroying literally the only place where Romulans and Klingons live in peace and have gotten over old hatred in all of history.
>Worf is supposed to be the good guy.

>Just ignore the honour shit isn't even really taken that seriously among Klingons beyond politiking, but only by Worf because he's a fanatic overcompensating because he was raised by humans.
>Further revealed in Enterprise that the Honour shit is literally just made up by the military dictatorship that forces all of the Civilians in the Klingon empire to slave for them.

Nice work conveniently not mentioning that it was all a Romulan plot to weaken the Klingon Empire by feigning unity and then steamrolling them

Why are nigger klingons so racist that they always have to have white klingon women? Don't they find black klingon women beautiful?

and he's in like what, 5 episodes?

more then u

>shitting on muh honor
kill yourself. Honor is a tacit agreement among men at war and has always existed, even occasionally among the guys that start it. It's the only means by which we can form lasting peaceful relationships following a war.

IVE GOT FAITH

>palete swap archer

>that picture

How is that a bad thing? All of the different placements of the word "only" result in distinct meanings.

IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Where does the enterprise crew is shit meme spew from? It was the most relateable crew since the OS. Given the run time of DS9 it would have had similar character development. Despite how GOAT TNG is it's the Trek with the worse characterisation actually.

but dude words are crazy dude woah I'm mindfucked right now lmao upvoted

Seasons 1-3 enterprise>Seasons 1-3 TNG desu

no lol

They had "peace" at the price that they could never leave the compound because neither society would accept them. So in reality they were still prisoners. Letting their children go was the only way in which they could spread their message of bringing both sides to peace as well as give them an actual future instead of remaining a prisoner of the compound.

lol yeah. the first seasons of TNG was shit, it was so shit I abandoned 5 times the series, before finale getting past it

Travis is garbage, T'Pol is borderline garbage, otherwise solid crew

I once heard he was supposed to become part of the crew at a certain point.

T'pol is the comfort Vulcan on the enterprise. Very important keeping the morale up (and penises)

Enterprise: Let's put the closed minded and racist guy who jumps to conclusions that it's aliens fault all the time as the captain of our first ship to explore deep space who will also act as an ambassador of our entire species. Let's also have most of the crew also be a bunch of idiots

TNG: Let's put the renaissance man who can anything required as a captain as the captain of our flagship. Also let's put the best and brightest on board as senior his staff.

>the best and brightest

>Captain, I sense emotions!
>Captain, I recommend ramming speed and detonating the warpcore for good measure

Luckily the writers figured out Travis was a garbage character and greatly reduced his role by season 3

>nukes
In TOS when they meet that pilot from the 20th century Spock mentions that the aircraft is armed with nukes and they could damage the hull.........If I remember right.

Well considering Picard almost never chooses anything connected to what they're about he always makes the right pick.

She they surrounded their renaissance man with retards intentionally so he'd always do the opposite of what they said?

T'Pol is good and really bad. Travis is just a chill guy.

Two people out of the rest of the staff. I wouldn't say that's surrounding him. Also I don't know why Troi is senior staff besides her being a main character. Like why would a counselor be a a part of planning a strategy in a combat situation?

I am afraid that Star Trek in the current climate will be impossible to discuss on Sup Forums, regardless wether is good or not.
Male characters in a female body, people with no or more than 2 sexes, interracial relations, actually trying to make peace and not just fight war against everyone...things that have occurred in the past series but in this next series....writers might act upon the current events and insert their opinion, which is not necessarily a bad thing if done well and tastefully, but there will be droves of shitposters trying to make it all mere propaganda.

You have Gene Roddenberry tier autism. Archer was GOAT humanity before the federation. The show is about his journey towards being the sort of humanist god Picard started out as.

Some bro sport like Rugby.

I dunno man. Even if humanity wasn't at Picard level at that time, the fact they still went for him as their go to guy to represent humanity was pretty fucking dumb. Archer seemed like he had next to no diplomatic training whatsoever. Seems more like it was more of a seniority thing rather than "we want the best man for the job."

He was a star ship captain. A pilot, a man involved in ship design and a military man. He went after his mission in that frame of mind fighting for survival. Picard is unhumanly perfect sometimes and with the exception of the Borg arc seems to have gone beyond fear (per roddenberry's vision). Archer on the other hand appears far more concerned for and protective of his crew in a hostile universe in which humanity is constantly put on the back foot. Both were good captains for the challenges of their respective eras.

What went wrong?

Good analysis. Great post.

intergalactic terrorism, torture, genocide etc

Xindi happened

Archer has seen some shit

You might have picked the worst S1 pic ever. He looks like he's wearing a mask of his own face

>run an electoral charge through the surface of the hull

Sound more like a precursor to the structural integrity field tbqh

>electoral charge

Trip what the fuck are you doing to my ship?